• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal: Xbox One - "You own an object, but you merely access a service"

IrishNinja

Yup, but you're still being charged as if it were a product. Oh, and also as a service, in order to access the online component.

Worst of both worlds.

couldnt've put it better myself

It is also on the front page of Forbes

MyHmRdl.png

you know, the more i see stuff like this - versus the PR statements most press put out right after the initial reveal - the happier i get. the astroturfing, the lockdown/canceling rountables...i hope this is every bit the PR nightmare it should be. I hope whoever thought up this scheme as a "compromise" is feeling this, somehow.

Xamdou

They want an always online system so people will pay for Xbox Live Gold. MS better drop multiple megatons at E3 to diffuse all the negative news surrounding the system right now. For me I just want to see whether or not the graphics is better than the PS4's.

magenta

Sony will definitely be doing something similar to all the stuff that MS is getting roasted for. I'm sorry, but that's the future of the industry that we have all helped to create. It's become a monster, and that hurts me right in the feels.

It will only be the future of the industry if we allow it to happen. Like you said money talks, if they are not getting it then they will change their tune.

Roland1979

Even if it was like Steam, WHICH IT IS NOT, how would that make it a justification?
Suddenly two wrongs make a right? F*ck off with this nonsense. Comparing it to Steam is grasping a straw. Sure there will be some sales for games in some stores. But they will be not like on Steam, they will not be discounted that quickly, every AAA game is like standard $10 more expensive, then there's the DRM (cloud being mainly a excuse for that, also trying to boost a somewhat crippled console doesn't sound too good), there's the camera plus the fact they can change there policies at any time. The thing is also too big, it's focus is wrong and annoying for a hardcore gamer, it's full of features that only work for US citizens, i don't want to pay for Kinect (PS sells Move separately) and i can go on for a while.
the controller is nice though

As an Xbox fan i love to see all this bad press, the more they get hit hard right at the beginning the more chances we have that MS see how wrong and bad is for their console.

It make me uneasy to think that a wonderful developer as Turn10 could have problems because MS decided to shot themself in the feet with this crap.

Do you think Sony is going to go through with this too? I'm getting nervous about both going through with this.

Looking at the short term side of things they have alot more to gain by not co-operating i.e not using DRM.

Sorry just took a game theory exam, so a payoff matrix just keeps buzzing around my head. But it seems like Sony have a chance to steal ALOT of market share from Microsoft here, in the gaming market of course. If they both used DRM then Sony will be forced into competing with Microsoft through exclusives or whatever. If Sony do not use DRM, they'll take alot of market share just by not having DRM which will attract consumers.

1,1 10,0
0,10 5,5

God I hope this made some sort of sense to someone.

Roland1979

It saddens me. The focus with their first Xbox was just right. Halo: Combat Evolved is still one of the most impressive games I have ever played.
Co-op was just awesome. Online was addicting and single player was spot on. They had Xbox live and a stream of hardcore games released. They lost me with the 360.
I got lucky but everyone i know that had a Xbox had at least one RROD (some multiple). I don't want to hate on the Xbox brand as some fanboy but they completely lost me with the Xbone.
Because when some unexpected cash comes in i normally would consider a second console after a big price drop. That is out of the question now.
They have my memories but they will not have any more of my money.

Top Bottom