• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walt Disney Imagineering Has Mad a Real Working Lightsaber

ManaByte

Gold Member

Yes, that’s a new type of lightsaber Rey is holding in her hand, created by Walt Disney Imagineering Research and Development. Guests who experience Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser will be the first to see it in action – along with so much more – starting in 2022 when this amazing new two-night adventure debuts.

If you're wondering, the hotel is a two-night stay at WDW that connects directly to Galaxy's Edge. It'll be something like $1000 a night.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Ememee

I feel I’ve read over a dozen articles like this since I was a kid

But hey, kudos to them. Probably the best looking one yet.

*Nightwing

Clickbait, it’s a toy with an automatic retractable plastic blade. REAL LIGHTSABER means a real laser sword fucktards. Journalists really need to learn what words mean.

Be more impressive if they could make daisy ridley a decent actor

Take that back you monster (see what I did there?).

Daisy is bae, she can't help that JJ and Rian Johnson are hacks that are labeled as auteurs (more like autistic). I still think the sequel trilogy is >>> the prequels.

On topic: I think the one that the weapons guys made is more legit tbh.

raduque

Yeah, I don't understand the science of physics about the light not extending infinitely.
Showing my hypernerd side here, but IIRC, it's supposed to be magnetically contained, superheated plasma. We have the technology to magnetically contain superheated plasma, but not the technology to control the magnetic fields, or power-efficiently generate the plasma.

Fbh

So it's just a retractable plastic light?

Cool I guess, but if you told me this has existed for the last 15 years I'd have believed you

Isn't that just a glowing stick? I want the real thing, like this:

While way cooler than the Disney thing, it looses a lot of the wow factor when you see it in a non perfectly framed video and it's just a big blowtorch

tkscz

So it's just a retractable plastic light?

Cool I guess, but if you told me this has existed for the last 15 years I'd have believed you

While way cooler than the Disney thing, it looses a lot of the wow factor when you see it in a non perfectly framed video and it's just a big blowtorch
I mean, a lightsaber is just a rod of plasma.

TastyPastry

so the star wars hotel is going to be 2000$ per person? is it going to be a millionaire families only thing or will the audience just consist of single guys in their 30s?

at least it's better than those stupid ones that people buy where it's just the handle and nothing else lol. i mean something like this:

iu

if disney were to sell that one in the video i'd get one. it might not be real but it's damn cool. who wants to buy just a silly handle with no light up stick? that's the whole point of a lightsaber! would you buy a bike without wheels?

MastaKiiLA

This is really just a blowtorch. There’s a reason why the top of the flame is always off camera.
That's the best you're getting for a light saber. As someone else noted, it's just plasma, and you'd need a really fancy magnetic field generator to shape the plasma like the rod shown in the films. This is closer to what a real lightsaber would look like than what we get in the movies, save for Kylo Ren's cool blade.

Top Bottom