• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to take a family of 4 to that new Star Wars hotel? $6000 for 2 nights.

Kilau

James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Prices will prob start to come down when universal new park opens. Still got a 2 day pass from back in the days when didn’t have a limit so saving that shit till kids want to go.

Wonder what they going to do, just turn it into a small theme hotel without the show?

What's interesting to me is that Iger doesn't even have confidence it will do well even if he just lowers the price. Instead he's completely deleting it from existence.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Prices will prob start to come down when universal new park opens. Still got a 2 day pass from back in the days when didn’t have a limit so saving that shit till kids want to go.

Wonder what they going to do, just turn it into a small theme hotel without the show?

Probably just refit it to be a generic disney cruiseline. Probably wouldn't be too difficult.

AmuroChan

I was looking to take my family to Disney World during spring break, but then saw the prices for both the hotels and park admission and I was like hell no. Ending up going on a cruise instead.

Lasha

Hell, they are doing the same for their parks! I am going on a week long stay and it still costs nearly 2000 for *one* person and that is at a nearby hotel. Double to triple the price if you want one of the Disney hotels.

I was looking to take my family to Disney World during spring break, but then saw the prices for both the hotels and park admission and I was like hell no. Ending up going on a cruise instead.

The economics of Disney baffle me. Disney charges way too much for a theme park. I worked out the price of a disney a vacation out of curiosity and ended up taking the family to Maldives as my "budget" alternative.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The economics of Disney baffle me. Disney charges way too much for a theme park. I worked out the price of a disney a vacation out of curiosity and ended up taking the family to Maldives as my "budget" alternative.

Yep. I adore the Disney parks - but I could literally spend an entire month in Japan for the same price and live super comfy in that time.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
they will change it and reopen it as something else.

The big money loss was those stupid barges at Epcot. Those were alot of money and are being destroyed.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is an entire "in the trees" resort at Disney where you had a cabin up in a tree. Entire thing got mothballed because it wasn't wheelchair accessible. You can still see it on one of the lake transports. WILD how big Disney looses sometimes.

Lasha

There is an entire "in the trees" resort at Disney where you had a cabin up in a tree. Entire thing got mothballed because it wasn't wheelchair accessible. You can still see it on one of the lake transports. WILD how big Disney looses sometimes.

The ADA is bizarre at times.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I stayed in the tree houses as a kid, it was crazy fun.

AmuroChan

Went to Maldives with my wife many years ago. It's the most expensive vacation I've ever spent on, but it was worth every penny.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Disney is abruptly losing its reputation.

Now they have to be humble and stop the Woke fashion nonsense that clearly this is what is bankrupting the company and Warner Bros.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Disney is abruptly losing its reputation.

Now they have to be humble and stop the Woke fashion nonsense that clearly this is what is bankrupting the company and Warner Bros.

This literally has nothing to do with woke or non woke. It was just overly pricy for any normal family, that is why it failed. It would not have mattered at all if this was designed around the original trilogy, sequel trilogy, prequel trilogy, or the Old Republic.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member

The big money loss was those stupid barges at Epcot. Those were alot of money and are being destroyed.
Wow
Never heard of these before but goddamn they're ugly and look excessively expensive. Looked cool at night otherwise.

As for the Galactic Cruiser, I'm not a Disney stan, but I'm optimistic they learned a lot of lessons from this and are going to try again. It's quite possible this execution was poor because we live in a world where insufferable no talent ass clowns get to make decisions, and after putting the adults back in charge they'll actually be successful with this concept. That's my optimism. Otherwise this is a big public expensive blunder which will further damage the brand. Or it's somewhere in the middle and it was just too expensive, not a quality experience, and without a path to profitablity so they closed it as a cost savings maneuver.

Cyberpunkd

Hell, they are doing the same for their parks! I am going on a week long stay and it still costs nearly 2000 for *one* person and that is at a nearby hotel. Double to triple the price if you want one of the Disney hotels.
Why TF do you need to go for a week? I go to Disneyland Paris regularly with kids - you get everything done in a day, faster if you use fast pass tickets.

As for this - same it failed, I read the Yahoo article and it was more like 2-day boutique experience within the hotel. Really neat idea.

Aurelius

These prices are baffling. I must still be one of the few people who concider going to a theme park as a day out with the family, not a proper holiday.

We (family of four) were lucky enough to be able to do Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo Sea and Universal Studios in Osaka last year while we were visiting relatives in Japan. Because of covid, the country was still closed, so there were no crowds. We were able to do all attractions in each park in 1 day. We found some sweet package deals for tickets, fastpass for Super Nintendo World, hotels and AirBnB's not to far away by public transport. We also brought most of our own food and just bought some snacks in the parks. Refilling a water bottle was free.

I would never have done it if I had to pay the previously mentioned prices, or deal with "regular" crowds.

Last edited:
"This premium, boutique experience gave us the opportunity to try new things on a smaller scale of 100 rooms, and as we prepare for its final voyage, we will take what we’ve learned to create future experiences that can reach more of our guests and fans,"
Lmao that is some hilarious cope...

Dural

Yep, took my family of 6 (one was free due to age) two years ago and spent ~$10,000 for 9 days. The tickets to the parks alone were around $2000, two of our dinners at the parks were $300 each.

Yeah, I heard they cost hundreds of millions of dollars, seems insane that they could have cost that much.

Why TF do you need to go for a week? I go to Disneyland Paris regularly with kids - you get everything done in a day, faster if you use fast pass tickets.

As for this - same it failed, I read the Yahoo article and it was more like 2-day boutique experience within the hotel. Really neat idea.

Disney World has four parks, you need to be there minimum 4 days to see all of them. Magic Kingdom really needs two days due to the size and popularity of it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Remember the (now deleted) advert for this when the cheery family pointed out Chewbacca to the imperials and got him arrested?

Maybe “pay us thousands of dollars to come and be an asshole” wasn’t the best pitch.

If you go to the SW hotel and help catch Chewbacca you should not be allowed to return to society.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Haha. I guess they exhausted the well of Star Wars fans willing and able to drop that kind of cash.
Pretty much.

In most things in life if the demand drops, you reduce the price to keep it going. And $5000 SW packages should have giant margins to support any discount.

But it would look bad if they sold packages for half price or cheaper because it would show they milked fans and the SW universe isn't so in-demand after all. So better to scrap it. It's like a high end clothing store with $2000 suits. They could make back money dumping it for $500, but they'd rather just eat the cost ad release new suits new year.

They'll figure out what to do next charging fans giant sums of money. Wont be the last time they try a $5000 package.

NickFire

What's interesting to me is that Iger doesn't even have confidence it will do well even if he just lowers the price. Instead he's completely deleting it from existence.
He knows they could drop prices to a level where every room will be booked months if not years in advance. The issue is they don't care about success by ordinary metrics. They either get a certain rate of return or they invest elsewhere. No matter what causes they support or feign to support, on a corporate level they are ruthless capitalists. I wouldn't be surprised if the average annual income in some countries is less than the average cost for a family of 4 to go to Orlando.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Because not everyone lives near the park and can regularly go. Last time I was able to visit was 20 years ago. Plus DIsney World has 4 parks, mate. You can't do everything in a day or two. 5 days is perfect amount of time to visit, relax, and have fun.

It was not designed for normal families, the same way 2700€ Opening Ceremony Olympic tickets (the only ones left after the first day) are not designed for normal sports fan.

Disney parks were absolutely designed for the normal family. That was the entire point of its existence for decades before the price skyrocketed into "once in a life time" status.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

There's something seriously wrong with the Disney World pricing model if going on a cruise has become the cheaper option.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

There's something seriously wrong with the Disney World pricing model if going on a cruise has become the cheaper option.

They were not even close. Just the hotel alone was going to be $5000 for the week, after taxes and fees. Then park admission is another $500 per day for the four of us. Then there are all the meals that haven't even been accounted for yet. The cruise was significantly cheaper.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
When is the "dead" season at Disney. If i ever go again, i want it to be at the time with the least crowds.
Weekdays during March-early May is usually the deadest time that I have been told. Kids are still in school, harder to take them out. College kids still have coursework, so harder ot go on vacation. Usually cooler as well so you don't have to deal wit hhigh heat and humidity.

Lasha

They were not even close. Just the hotel alone was going to be $5000 for the week, after taxes and fees. Then park admission is another $500 per day for the four of us. Then there are all the meals that haven't even been accounted for yet. The cruise was significantly cheaper.

I was floored to learn that not all resorts include parking in the price. Somewhere like NYC sure. Parking is highly limited. A city in empty ass florida built expressely for tourism though? Bizarre.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Because not everyone lives near the park and can regularly go. Last time I was able to visit was 20 years ago. Plus DIsney World has 4 parks, mate. You can't do everything in a day or two. 5 days is perfect amount of time to visit, relax, and have fun.

Disney parks were absolutely designed for the normal family. That was the entire point of its existence for decades before the price skyrocketed into "once in a life time" status.

Exactly, Disney World is HUGE! It dwarfs Disney Paris in size

And the $5k price is why it failed ... Not woke or whatever... Plus it wasn't a hotel in the normal sense. It has no windows and you were to STAY there for 2 days ... You couldn't leave. It was supposed to be "an experience" ... Not an actual hotel with views and the ability to come and go as you please.

Dural

Weekdays during March-early May is usually the deadest time that I have been told. Kids are still in school, harder to take them out. College kids still have coursework, so harder ot go on vacation. Usually cooler as well so you don't have to deal wit hhigh heat and humidity.

When we went two years ago I got a subscription to www.touringplans.com to see their crowd calendar, the last week of August and September are typically the lowest crowds but you have to deal with the heat. May is a good time as well, but kids would have to be taken out of school. March/April can be extremely crowded due to spring break and Easter. We went the last week of August and the crowds were pretty low, the longest wait was for Flight of Passage and Slinky Dog Dash (broke down) and both were only about 30-45 minutes. Most rides were less than 15 minutes.

I was floored to learn that not all resorts include parking in the price. Somewhere like NYC sure. Parking is highly limited. A city in empty ass florida built expressely for tourism though? Bizarre.

This was just recently removed, it had pissed off a lot of people with how much it costs to stay at the resorts.

They didn't even make the SW building look anything like SW.

Looks like a food processing plant.

Star-Wars-Galactic-Starcruiser-construction-credit-bioreconstruct-twitter-2384640.jpg

You can't really see the building from ground level with the landscaping, it's supposed to be a terminal where you board a ship that takes you to the starship.

Top Bottom