• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14% of Disneyland's attractions to be closed during Star Wars expansion construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wubby

...How? What do you even do there twice a week?

I used to go 5 days a week... ;)

The only real loss of the ones they are closing temporarily is the Railroad. That's nice to have to get around the park without having to walk. Fantasmic always pulled huge crowds too.

Still nervous about his huge expansion changing the soul of the park. I hope they've thought it through and do it right for everyone - even the lifetimer park fans like me.
Fantasmic is a sad loss though, even if only temporary - it's shit everywhere else.

i am unagi

Neo Member
Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida put a hefty dent in Disney World's attendance and profits.

I wonder how it is going to effect Disneyland especially when 14% of it is going to be closed.

ZiZ

This is kinda hilarious considering Universal is like 5 rides and costs 80% as much as Disney, so placing them in competition is a joke, especially in light of the fact that Knott's and Six Flags are both nearby and are, like, actual theme parks.

Universal gives you an annual pass for that price. Disneyland's annual pass on the other hand is really expensive.

Currently working at Disneyland and yeah we have been hitting capacity lately and can't imagine what it'll be like during construction

The hell is Hyperspace Mountain? Did they slow the ride back down to it's normal speed or is it just Screamin' Through the Galaxy but with Star Wars music and effects?

FZZ

Banned
Why Nintendo chose to partner with Universal and not Disney is something I will never understand

Parham

Banned
To build the new 14-acre "Star Wars" area, the park will permanently close Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree, starting Jan. 10.

Nothing of value was lost.

Yeah pretty much that second one. And why would they slow it down?

Space Mountain is normally a minute thirty seconds long, but STtG speeds it up to be around or under a minute.

Some background: I've never ridden Space Mountain before, but I recently went to Disneyland for the first time in maybe 15-20 years with a friend of mine because we got free passes. I fucking HATE rollercoasters and get intense motion sickness so it was a huge deal for her to even convince me to get on it in the first place. She felt terrible that STtG was the version of the ride I got to experience.

I felt like I was gonna die. I never want to go on it again but I am curious as to what a slowed down version of the ride would be like, especially without shit flying and screaming in my face the whole time. 30 seconds is a LONG time when you're on a rollercoaster scared to death trying not to black out.

DarkKyo

Space Mountain is normally a minute thirty seconds long, but STtG speeds it up to be around or under a minute.

Some background: I've never ridden Space Mountain before, but I recently went to Disneyland for the first time in maybe 15-20 years with a friend of mine because we got free passes. I fucking HATE rollercoasters and get intense motion sickness so it was a huge deal for her to even convince me to get on it in the first place. She felt terrible that STtG was the version of the ride I got to experience.

I felt like I was gonna die. I never want to go on it again but I am curious as to what a slowed down version of the ride would be like, especially without shit flying and screaming in my face the whole time. 30 seconds is a LONG time when you're on a rollercoaster scared to death trying not to black out.

Lol damn and I thought I had a serious phobia of rollercoasters... I find space mountain to be tame and very enjoyable. Then again I haven't been on it since 2008.

Tron 2.0

I'm sorry to tell you, but you experienced Space Mountain at its regular speed. They don't adjust the speed between Ghost Galaxy, Hyperspace Mountain, and the regular one. It's not really possible to do so.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you experienced Space Mountain at its regular speed. They don't adjust the speed between Ghost Galaxy, Hyperspace Mountain, and the regular one. It's not really possible to do so.

The hell, really? Then how is the regular version 30 seconds longer, do they shorten the track or something?

Everyone I've talked to says Ghost Galaxy (thank you for reminding me of the actual name, I was thinking of Rocking Through the Galaxy) is sped up or faster than the normal version. Or at least there are parts where the ride slows down normally that they don't let happen in GG and it's just full speed the whole time.

Christopher

It's a baby roller coaster in the dark

Tron 2.0

The hell, really? Then how is the regular version 30 seconds longer, do they shorten the track or something?

Everyone I've talked to says Ghost Galaxy (thank you for reminding me of the actual name, I was thinking of Rocking Through the Galaxy) is sped up or faster than the normal version. Or at least there are parts where the ride slows down normally that they don't let happen in GG and it's just full speed the whole time.

Yeah that's not true. They're all the same length. There might be some minor variances in ride time from vehicle to vehicle, but it'd only be a couple seconds at most and you'd see that kind of difference on any coaster everywhere.

For a large number of operational and safety reasons there's no switch you can flip that speeds up or slows down a coaster to that degree.

I'm pretty sure it's just the normal speed, I've never noticed a difference on it and I've been on all of them.

It's a baby roller coaster in the dark

Hi thank you, did you see where I said I get intense motion sickness? Thanks to a weird inner ear thing I get fucking car sick when I ride in other people's cars for the first few times, let alone stick me in a tiny cart going 35 miles per hour jerking around in the dark with shit screaming in my ears for two minutes. Oh and I suffer from intense panic and anxiety attacks. Did I mention it was a big fucking deal to get me on the ride in the first place?

Not everyone likes rollercoasters, this shouldn't be some kind of revelation or platform to talk down at people for. I'm glad you enjoy the baby ride. I didn't.

Yeah that's not true. They're all the same length. There might be some minor variances in ride time from vehicle to vehicle, but it'd only be a couple seconds at most and you'd see that kind of difference on any coaster everywhere.

For a large number of operational and safety reasons there's no switch you can flip that speeds up or slows down a coaster to that degree.

I'm pretty sure it's just the normal speed, I've never noticed a difference on it and I've been on all of them.

Huh, interesting! I was told the normal version had "slow parts" where the ride slows down (mostly at the beginning) and you look around and see all the stars and shit, and that it's really cool. Ghost Galaxy, I'm told in comparison, is just full speed the whole time, so I figured they just "cut out" the parts where it normally slowed down.

But yeah I get that they can't just fiddle with the speed when a ride is designed a specific way for a specific speed. I guess it's not so much that the Ghost Galaxy version is "faster" it's that I was told the normal one slows down in spots.

Universal has theme park rights to marvel otherwise it woulda been done.

This movie just grossed 1,000,000,000 it's gonna be in your face for awhile

Isn't it that Universal only has theme park rights to Marvel stuff on the East Coast? I remember an old GAF thread where someone said the rights are split by the Mississippi River or some ridiculous thing so technically, Disneyland could have Marvel stuff but Disney World couldn't.

Edit - yep just googled and the rights are split by the Mississippi. Heh! Apparently they're already working on some kind of Marvel ride for DisneyLand and the Hong Kong park is getting some too?

So hard to separate rumor and hearsay from what's actually happening. :\

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've only been there and Disney World twice. I can't imagine going there twice a week.

Who the hell has time for that?

Borman

Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida put a hefty dent in Disney World's attendance and profits.

I wonder how it is going to effect Disneyland especially when 14% of it is going to be closed.

No it didn't. Attendance has risen year after year.

This is kinda hilarious considering Universal is like 5 rides and costs 80% as much as Disney, so placing them in competition is a joke, especially in light of the fact that Knott's and Six Flags are both nearby and are, like, actual theme parks.

So true. They have the Jurrassic park water ride, and the Indiana Jones rail adventure and....thats about it as far as thrill rides.

i am unagi

Neo Member
No it didn't. Attendance has risen year after year.

"Disney World's share of Orlando theme-park traffic shrank from 74.9 percent in 2009, the year before the first Wizarding World debuted, to 71.3 percent in 2012, the most recent year for which figures are available....Universal's piece of the pie, meanwhile, grew from 16 percent to 20.8 percent during the same period. Driven almost entirely by Universal's growth, total Orlando attendance rose 7.2 percent, from 63.5 million in 2009 to 68 million in 2012."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...orlando-wizarding-world-theme-park-attendance

Christopher

"Disney World's share of Orlando theme-park traffic shrank from 74.9 percent in 2009, the year before the first Wizarding World debuted, to 71.3 percent in 2012, the most recent year for which figures are available....Universal's piece of the pie, meanwhile, grew from 16 percent to 20.8 percent during the same period. Driven almost entirely by Universal's growth, total Orlando attendance rose 7.2 percent, from 63.5 million in 2009 to 68 million in 2012."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...orlando-wizarding-world-theme-park-attendance

What are you going on about? Disney just had record breaking attendance this year, record breaking.

Harry Potter is nothing but keeping universal relevant, it took no market share, at all from Disney. Pull up some more random articles if you'd like - the numbers don't lie.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/disney-675901-disneyland-attendance.html

There a more recent article - please save your 2009 and 2012 discussions for the past

i am unagi

Neo Member
What are you going on about? Disney just had record breaking attendance this year, record breaking.

Harry Potter is nothing but keeping universal relevant, it took no market share, at all from Disney. Pull up some more random articles if you'd like - the numbers don't lie.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/disney-675901-disneyland-attendance.html

There a more recent article - please save your 2009 and 2012 discussions for the past

The point of the “random article” was to show that the year after Wizarding World opened, attendance at Disney World dipped while Universal's increased.

I'm saying Disneyland might have serious competition in the Los Angeles area if Wizarding World LA is as successful as its Florida counterpart, especially if Disneyland is going to close 14% of its attractions. The fact remains after it opened Wizard World Florida caused an increase in an attendance at Universal and a decrease in attendance at Disney World.

My original post was just speculating whether the LA market would be similarly affected, especially when coupled with the fact that Disneyland is closing 14% of its attractions. It would be interesting to see Disneyland attendance decrease after its steady climb.

14% closure + Wizard World = ????

We shall see how Disneyland's attendance holds up.

It's kind of a misnomer to throw that 14% number around because if you look at the list of things that are closing, and are actually familiar with what they are, then they aren't going to be things people stop going to Disneyland for. A petting zoo, an empty house you walk through, a BBQ diner, who cares. If Thunder Mountain Railroad the ride was being closed or removed, yes, that would be a reason for concern. But these aren't even rides they're closing. A petting zoo. Come on.

Borman

It says their share of attendance shrank, not that their attendance shrank.All that means is that yes, as a whole, a portion shrank, but the actual numbers are up.

Disney World is still up, it just happens that Universal went up more, which is no surprise.

As roller coasters go, Space Mountain is kinda dumb. You just go around in circles and it's dark.

You should like never go to Six Flags Magic Mountain. That place could actually kill you.

Aselith

It says their share of attendance shrank, not that their attendance shrank.All that means is that yes, as a whole, a portion shrank, but the actual numbers are up.

Disney World is still up, it just happens that Universal went up more, which is no surprise.

Yeah, Universal went up more and since they had nowhere to go but up, that's no surprise.

That "14%" figure is really misleading. None of those are main rides afaik. If "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad" was in the list, that'd be a big one.

every time i read about the permanent closures over there, my heart skips a beat because i think they're closing thunder mountain. (which would be insane considering they just gave it a pretty significant update in early 2014).

DeathPeak

Been going to Disneyland for years. Was an annual pass holder for a few years. Before that, my friend's dad would get us in for free all the time. Attraction wise, it won't be anything I'll miss (except Fantasmic if they stop it), but I'm going to miss the familiar scenery.

The point of the “random article” was to show that the year after Wizarding World opened, attendance at Disney World dipped while Universal's increased.

I'm saying Disneyland might have serious competition in the Los Angeles area if Wizarding World LA is as successful as its Florida counterpart, especially if Disneyland is going to close 14% of its attractions. The fact remains after it opened Wizard World Florida caused an increase in an attendance at Universal and a decrease in attendance at Disney World.

My original post was just speculating whether the LA market would be similarly affected, especially when coupled with the fact that Disneyland is closing 14% of its attractions. It would be interesting to see Disneyland attendance decrease after its steady climb.

14% closure + Wizard World = ????

We shall see how Disneyland's attendance holds up.
My understanding is that they aren't going to be putting in the entire Wizarding World, since there's no space for it. They're just adding one--albeit the best--ride. It's a fantastic ride, but it's only going to boost Universal's ride total to, like, six, so I doubt it'll do shit to hurt Disneyland.

Korey

Hi thank you, did you see where I said I get intense motion sickness? Thanks to a weird inner ear thing I get fucking car sick when I ride in other people's cars for the first few times, let alone stick me in a tiny cart going 35 miles per hour jerking around in the dark with shit screaming in my ears for two minutes. Oh and I suffer from intense panic and anxiety attacks. Did I mention it was a big fucking deal to get me on the ride in the first place?

Not everyone likes rollercoasters, this shouldn't be some kind of revelation or platform to talk down at people for. I'm glad you enjoy the baby ride. I didn't.

lol yea. Magic Mountain would probably literally be hell for you.

Soarin' will be closed too for a good while during its transition to Soarin' Over the World. But of these extensive closures, the only ones worth noting are Disneyland Railroad, Fantasmic!, and the Colombia/Mark Twain and those will be temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom