• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14% of Disneyland's attractions to be closed during Star Wars expansion construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-star-wars-20151226-story.html

To make way for "Star Wars," Disneyland is about to launch its largest expansion ever, which means shutting down a significant chunk of the Anaheim theme park.

In January, 10 attractions and eateries will close — some temporarily, some permanently — only a few months after the resort hiked the price of annual passes as much as 31%
. This spring, Disneyland's biggest rival, Universal Studios Hollywood, plans to unveil a widely anticipated Harry Potter attraction.

For any other operation, charging customers more and giving them less would be a perilous business strategy, especially if the competition is upping its game. Not so at Disneyland.

"At the end of the day, you won't see any attendance drop," said Dennis Speigel, a theme park consultant and president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati. "The tourists will come, hell or high water."

Instead, the construction project to build a new "Star Wars" area is likely to demonstrate the devotion of hard-core Disney fans.

Daniel Bowmen of Sylmar, who has owned a Disneyland premium pass for 24 years and visits at least twice a week, said he is disappointed that the park is closing so many attractions during construction. But that won't keep him away.

"I just renewed my annual pass, so I'll be going to Disneyland," he said.

Disney officials won't say whether the announced closures and the annual pass price hike have affected pass sales so far. During the quarter that ended Oct. 3 — before the closures and the price hikes were announced — Walt Disney Co. reported a 15% jump in attendance at all domestic parks.

In Tomorrowland, the Space Mountain and Star Tours rides have been overhauled to include special effects borrowed from the recently released movie "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

An underused area in the Innovations building of Tomorrowland has been converted into Star Wars Launch Bay, a hall where parkgoers can play "Star Wars" video games, buy merchandise and meet costumed characters from the movie franchise.

The Galactic Grill eatery now sells treats inspired by "Star Wars" characters, such as a dessert dubbed Darth by Chocolate and the Cheese 3PO Burger.

The additional "Star Wars" features, part of an overall celebration called Season of the Force, launched Nov. 15. No closing date has been announced.

Perhaps the only crowding problem facing Disneyland over the next few months, say theme park experts, is that park visitors will be swarming around Tomorrowland.

"It's going to be crowded and they are all going to be in one corner of Tomorrowland," said David Koenig, an author of several books about Disney. "The question is, how many bodies are you going to get in there?"

To build the new 14-acre "Star Wars" area, the park will permanently close Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree, starting Jan. 10.

(Disneyland officials say the animals in the petting zoo have been adopted by a Southern California family that has worked with Disney animals in the past.)

Nearby attractions on the Rivers of America — mainly Fantasmic, the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia, the Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, the Disneyland Railroad and the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes — will close temporarily.

In total, 14% of the park's attractions will be closed either permanently or temporarily in an area that represents nearly a quarter of Disneyland's 85 acres.

Also, Autopia, the mini car attraction that opened in 1955, is set to close for routine maintenance in January. According to Koenig, the car ride will reopen with a new sponsor, Honda. Disney officials declined to comment.

To clear more space for the new "Star Wars" land, Disney employees who work in offices outside the park, just north of Big Thunder Ranch, have begun to move into two office buildings that Disney purchased last year a few blocks away on South Manchester Avenue.

A completion date has yet to be announced for the "Star Wars" land, but industry experts predict that an opening date could be at least a year away.

Disney has yet to reveal what will be included in the new "Star Wars" land. In announcing the park expansion in August, Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger said it would include a re-creation of the Millennium Falcon, in which guests can take the controls for a "customized secret mission," along with an immersive attraction that will put visitors into "a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance."

Instead of discouraging visitors, Speigel said the construction for the "Star Wars" land could even pique interest among fans who hope to get a glimpse of the new attractions behind the construction walls.

He noted that attendance increased during an expansion of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom in Florida from 2011 to 2014.

"It became a great marketing tool," Speigel said. "They capitalized on it."

My friend is in Disney land France and she having an awful time the people are so rude that adults pushing kids to the ground to get on the rides themselves

Moonkeis

Doesn't really seem like that big of an impact, but the price hike still sucks. I have an annual pass, the basic level and that is more than enough for my family.

studyguy

My girlfriend and I were just at Disneyland and we won the Diamond Days VIP thing right before the movie dropped, was super fucking cool. They have Starwars fucking everywhere out there though. Its pretty wild. We got to jump ahead and meet all the Star Wars costume cast though, was pretty dope.

rjinaz

I usually avoid Disneyland. There are cheaper places to visit like Universal Studios, Sea World, and Six Flags Magic Mountain. None of those places will gouge you.

But for kids, there really is no other place like it so I find myself back there every once in a while.

see5harp

The attractions they are closing are probably good ideas. Honestly behind thunder mountain, there's nearly no one even going back there unless they are trying to smoke.

see5harp

I would imagine all of tomorrowland will essentially be "part" of star wars land since they are adding star wars stuff to space mountain.

Berordn

Any updates on the Star Wars expansion in DisneyWorld Orlando?

Considering Hollywood Studios is a shell of a park right now little's going to change there. Magic Kingdom and Epcot will shoulder the burden while HS and AK go deeper into construction.

Daniel Bowmen of Sylmar, who has owned a Disneyland premium pass for 24 years and visits at least twice a week, said he is disappointed that the park is closing so many attractions during construction. But that won't keep him away.

...How? What do you even do there twice a week?

Rayme

That "14%" figure is really misleading. None of those are main rides afaik. If "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad" was in the list, that'd be a big one.

Disneyland? Not Disney World? Thank Christ. I'm taking my family to Disney World for 10 days in April and I was about to be pissed.

see5harp

What about Autopia and the Finding Nemo ride?

Obviously outside of the stuff that is impractical to move. I wouldn't be surprised if Autotopia gets turned into a star wars thing down the road. Personally, I feel like they should move the submarine thing to the boardwalk in CA adventure, and the buzz lightyear thing over there as well. I personally don't understand the annual pass thing, especially if you're an adult. It's fun with friends or family but going as an adult just slowly erodes the awesome memories I had from going there as a kid.

Is this bigger than the Avatar expansion planned in Disneyland Florida?

Animal Kingdom has more room to spare, where as Disneyland is pretty packed it. It's a more intrusive construction for sure, but probably not a greater expansion. It seems Disney has secured some more space by moving out some administrative buildings, but I can't imagine it will be any bigger than their recent inclusion of Cars Land in DCA. They'll be doing something similar in Hollywoods studio, which likewise will have a lot more room to expand.

I'm a little sad to see unique rides that aren't based on movies are gradually disappearing. It's a smart move for Disney, but i'm a huge sucker for the more inventive rides that don't necessarily have anything to tie into.

see5harp

It is sorta strange to see Swiss Family Robinson and the weird Jules Verne submarine ride get sucked in, but I'm really not gonna miss the petting zoo and the weird country shit that was behind thunder mountain. Disneyland is all about that money though. Tomorrowland was always like a huge sponsored area, even going back my childhood I remember the company names. No surprise that Tomorrowland Expo Center will just reopen to become a huge advertisement for Star Wars/Marvel/Disney products now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

you have to get churros somewhere

I dont think i ever been to the Big Thunder Ranch thing. it looks like a dumb underused place, so i'm glad its going away. i think i remember that area always being empty whenever i went to disneyland. no idea what even goes on there

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In January, 10 attractions and eateries will close — some temporarily, some permanently — only a few months after the resort hiked the price of annual passes as much as 31%. This spring, Disneyland's biggest rival, Universal Studios Hollywood, plans to unveil a widely anticipated Harry Potter attraction.

This is kinda hilarious considering Universal is like 5 rides and costs 80% as much as Disney, so placing them in competition is a joke, especially in light of the fact that Knott's and Six Flags are both nearby and are, like, actual theme parks.

Doesn't really seem like that big of an impact, but the price hike still sucks. I have an annual pass, the basic level and that is more than enough for my family.

SS9yXvw.jpg

Future

This is kinda hilarious considering Universal is like 5 rides and costs 80% as much as Disney, so placing them in competition is a joke, especially in light of the fact that Knott's and Six Flags are both nearby and are, like, actual theme parks.

Yeah universal doesn't actually match up at all. Journalist was just trying to find ways to sensationalize things further.

All those attractions in the big thunder area? No idea they even existed and I go to Disneyland a few times a year.

It's 80% of the cost if you only go once, but I don't think Universal even sells passes that aren't annual passes anymore, and $80 wouldn't even get you parking on Disneyland's Annual Passport.

Knott's is still the better deal, though.

see5harp

Seriously. I went to Universal to see their Simpsons stuff last summer and just bought the year pass since it was so damn cheap. Universal Studios is so fucking boring. They got like 2 actual rides and a bunch of 3d movies. The new Simpsons stuff was so damn small. I'm not expecting much from their Harry Potter thing. I'd buy a Cedar Fair pass way before I buy an annual pass to Disneyland though. You'd have two places in CA, the place in Toronto, and then the big one with all of the roller coasters.

Seriously. I went to Universal to see their Simpsons stuff last summer and just bought the year pass since it was so damn cheap. Universal Studios is so fucking boring. They got like 2 actual rides and a bunch of 3d movies. The new Simpsons stuff was so damn small. I'm not expecting much from their Harry Potter thing.

I don't get what you mean by that. Both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida feature tons of "actual rides".

-Transformers
-Revenge of the Mummy
-Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
-Jurassic Park River Adventure
-The Incredible Hulk Coaster (under refurbishment right now tho oops)
-The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
-Men in Black: Alien Attack
-E.T Adventure
-Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
-Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges
-The Simpsons Ride

And that's plenty more. They have a diverse selection of rides and attractions. They're not all just Terminator 3D and Shrek 4D like you're suggesting.

I don't get what you mean by that. Both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida feature tons of "actual rides".

-Transformers
-Revenge of the Mummy
-Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
-Jurassic Park River Adventure
-The Incredible Hulk Coaster (under refurbishment right now tho oops)
-The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
-Men in Black: Alien Attack
-E.T Adventure
-Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
-Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges
-The Simpsons Ride

And that's plenty more. They have a diverse selection of rides and attractions. They're not all just Terminator 3D and Shrek 3D like you're suggesting.
Yeah, those parks are sweet, but Universal Studios Hollywood is very small and only has a handful of short--and not all that great--rides. You can ride them all in two or three hours, easily, even if there are long-ish lines.

That said, though, Forbidden Journey is probably the best ride in all the parks right now, in my opinion.

see5harp

Yea transformers is a ride where you get moved around a sound stage and then stare at TV screens. Jurassic Park is probably the last thing Universal has made that actually impressed me. I haven't seen Hogwarts in Orlando so I can't judge that but yea nothing they've made ever comes close to Cars. There's a reason why Disneyland can sell annual passes for $500 that don't even include parking and there's a reason why a season pass to Universal Studios Hollywood is about as much as a decent meal.

You go for a few hours with your friends and take it easy, go on a couple rides, and don't get stressed if you don't do everything. I had a pass for like 15 years or something ridiculous and in college I was going once a week for like three or four hours at a time

Piggus

My friend is in Disney land France and she having an awful time the people are so rude that adults pushing kids to the ground to get on the rides themselves

Sounds shitty. Have never experienced anything like that in Disneyland (original) or Tokyo Disneyland, and I've been there more times than I can count.

I usually avoid Disneyland. There are cheaper places to visit like Universal Studios, Sea World, and Six Flags Magic Mountain. None of those places will gouge you.

But for kids, there really is no other place like it so I find myself back there every once in a while.

They don't gouge you because they're barely staying afloat as is. I like those parks for what they are, but nothing really compares to Disney parks imo.

I went on that new 4K Harry Potter ride in Universal Studios Japan and it was pretty baller though.

Oh wait, you guys were talking about Universal Studios Hollywood. Sorry my bad.
The rides that are at both Hollywood and Orlando for Universal are exactly the same, though. Transformers, The Mummy, Jurassic Park, Minions...there's no difference where you ride it. I'm hoping Forbidden Journey will also be exactly the same in Hollywood.

I think the only thing Hollywood has that Orlando doesn't is the tram tour, which features the King Kong "ride" (it's not a ride).

see5harp

The studio tour IS cool and is really one of the best "rides" but yea they've invested in King Kong and the Fast and Furious which are essentially some 3d movies. That shit don't even impress me anymore. I'd rather see Backdraft or fake ass King Kong.

That's not bad at all.
I don't do any of that boat stuff and the main Big Thunder attraction is still going to be operating.
I know what people mean when the older, unique, attractions get replaced. Disneyland itself used to have its own identity separate from the other IPs.
Doubt we'll ever see an original attraction for a very long time.

The studio tour IS cool and is really one of the best "rides" but yea they've invested in King Kong and the Fast and Furious which are essentially some 3d movies. That shit don't even impress me anymore. I'd rather see Backdraft or fake ass King Kong.
Backdraft is gone, but Twister is still at Orlando.

They don't gouge you because they're barely staying afloat as is. I like those parks for what they are, but nothing really compares to Disney parks imo.
Yeah, there's nothing like the Disneyland atmosphere (which even California Adventure has trouble replicating): no ads, no trash, no visibility of anything outside the park, Fast Pass, etc.

Meanwhile, at Six Flags, you have ads all over the place and lines that are way the hell too long. And if you want a Flash Pass, you have to pay almost the price of another ticket for it. You also have to deal with the stupid locker situation, where you have to pay for a locker that might not even be near your ride.

Rookje

I don't doubt them about the attendance drop. The demand for Disneyland is INSANE. All the locals go constantly (even the ones without kids), and there are tourists who come religiously multiple times a year. We really need a bigger park.

I mean, if the measles outbreak wasn't enough to deter people... nothing will.

Backdraft is gone, but Twister is still at Orlando.

Yeah, there's nothing like the Disneyland atmosphere (which even California Adventure has trouble replicating): no ads, no trash, no visibility of anything outside the park, Fast Pass, etc.

Meanwhile, at Six Flags, you have ads all over the place and lines that are way the hell too long. And if you want a Flash Pass, you have to pay almost the price of another ticket for it. You also have to deal with the stupid locker situation, where you have to pay for a locker that might not even be near your ride.
You can't really credit Disneyland for having shorter lines than Six Flags. The line for Hyperspace Mountain was 3 hours this weekend and the only ride that had a line under an hour was the Jungle Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom