• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14% of Disneyland's attractions to be closed during Star Wars expansion construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of a tossup. Disneyland has more attractions in a smaller space and better versions of some attractions (PoTC primarily) but Walt Disney World succeeds in extending past just a "Theme Park" and into "Resort" territory. I love going to Magic Kingdom and Epcot but I also like playing miniature golf at Winter Summerland, going to the Water Parks, and exploring the various resorts as well.

Asking me to pick a preference between the two would be impossible.
Growing up next to Disneyland, it never seemed like a resort destination and I like it that way. Trying to get everything there done in a couple days is stressful. It's a great place to just go hang out

Gonzalez

Banned
You West Coasters, and your struggle castle.
2256357-Snow-White-s-Castle-0.jpg

Look how tiny yours is!

dsc_0264.jpg

Now look at how big ours is!

Borman

I wish that they'd also dump the fantasy bullshit in Animal Kingdom. It feels like AK and Epcot has lost their way.

That "fantasy bullshit" was always planned for AK. There has always been a dragon in the logo.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Beastly_Kingdom

Its the new FastPass+ bullshit. Spaceship Earth in Epcot used to be a walk-on ride. No wait. Now at best it's 10 minutes. Rides like Pirates are even worse.

FP+ has been great, if you are smart about it. In my past two trips of at least 4 days, the most I waited was 35 minutes, a total of two times.

kitch9

Banned
The only time disappointment has been uttered over the closing of Twister.

What was twister all about, I've been on it twice and never figured it out?

Most I got was stood in a strong breeze while stuff moved about... The fans that kept the queue cool was stronger.

SegaShack

Buying discounted Target cards and using those and redcard to get an additional discount on Disney gift cards is the way to do it. I saved 15% on my annual pass from the recent deal they had.

That "fantasy bullshit" was always planned for AK. There has always been a dragon in the logo.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Beastly_Kingdom

FP+ has been great, if you are smart about it. In my past two trips of at least 4 days, the most I waited was 35 minutes, a total of two times.
At least that fits in the Disney theme rather than fucking Avatar.

Yeah, FP+ works if you have one. The consequence is that people use them for traditionally fast rides which massively inflates the wait time.

1. Thank god Toontown is saved. Theres were rumours that it was the area to be chopped down for Star Wars land.
2. While the behind part of Big Thunder Mountain is underused, and closing permanently will not touch any fan favourites, putting a Star Wars land so near Frontierland and Rivers of America, instead of getting rid of Autopia to fit the land there, were it would benefit of the Tomorrowland theming, and not only that, but theres already Star Tours in there, its fucking baffling and a terrible decission.
I've always wondered about Autopia. I'm pretty sure Disney must have some sort of long term agreement with Chevron that keeps that stupid anachronism there. It really makes Tomorrowland feel like Yesteryearland, and even if kids seem to like it, I don't think Disney should be keeping a ride that promotes fossil fuel dependency and spews gas fumes all over the place.

Except yours is located in Florida. That's auto-lose.
Disney World is a completely enclosed environment. If you stay on property you can completely shut out the outside world if you wish. It's what makes it better than any other theme park in the world.

I've always wondered about Autopia. I'm pretty sure Disney must have some sort of long term agreement with Chevron that keeps that stupid anachronism there. It really makes Tomorrowland feel like Yesteryearland, and even if kids seem to like it, I don't think Disney should be keeping a ride that promotes fossil fuel dependency and spews gas fumes all over the place.

It changes next year to Honda, so I suppose they are turning it electric. And yes, ol Autopia promotes something that has no space in something like Tomorrowland.

mm04

Disney World is a completely enclosed environment. If you stay on property you can completely shut out the outside world if you wish. It's what makes it better than any other theme park in the world.

What do you do to keep out the humidity most of the year?

muteki

Gonna be pretty disappointed if I can't go to a stand in Star Wars Land and order a quarter portion of insta-bread.

And I should be able to make it with Dr. Pepper or something and have Dr. Pepper insta-bread.

Its the new FastPass+ bullshit. Spaceship Earth in Epcot used to be a walk-on ride. No wait. Now at best it's 10 minutes. Rides like Pirates are even worse.

When Spaceship Earth says 10 minutes essentially its walk on. You are only waiting for the previous riders to finish. The only rides that require FastPass + in Epcot are Test Track (if you arent using single rider) and Soarin.

Spaceship Earth is not the example to use when complaining about FastPass+, if you want a good example use Seven Dwarves Mine Train in Magic Kingdom. The FastPass for that ride is gone pretty much at the 90 days out mark and if you dont have a FastPass you are looking at a 90 minute wait easy. The only time i saw that wait under 30 minutes is during the Halloween Party (which requires a separate $70 ticket) and i still couldnt ride it because my wife wanted to see the Hocus Pocus show.

When Spaceship Earth says 10 minutes essentially its walk on. You are only waiting for the previous riders to finish. The only rides that require FastPass + in Epcot are Test Track (if you arent using single rider) and Soarin.

Spaceship Earth is not the example to use when complaining about FastPass+, if you want a good example use Seven Dwarves Mine Train in Magic Kingdom. The FastPass for that ride is gone pretty much at the 90 days out mark and if you dont have a FastPass you are looking at a 90 minute wait easy. The only time i saw that wait under 30 minutes is during the Halloween Party (which requires a separate $70 ticket) and i still couldnt ride it because my wife wanted to see the Hocus Pocus show.

Which for a 2 minute ride is a killer. Waited over an hour for something that flew by. Will never wait more than 10 minutes for that ride again.

I just went to Disney World and I loved the fast pass system. It made getting on certain rides super easy when it wouldn't have otherwise been possible to do so much. It cut down the entire wait times for Everest, Space Mountain, Test Track and Splash Mountain.

Which for a 2 minute ride is a killer. Waited over an hour for something that flew by. Will never wait more than 10 minutes for that ride again.

I just went to Disney World and I loved the fast pass system. It made getting on certain rides super easy when it wouldn't have otherwise been possible to do so much. It cut down the entire wait times for Everest, Space Mountain, Test Track and Splash Mountain.

I know you're frustrated about it, but it's longer than two minutes.

I know you're frustrated about it, but it's longer than two minutes.

Sorry, I'm coming off more negative about the ride than I wish: it's a great ride with some beautiful scenery, it's just not something I'm going to wait 10+ minutes for again. In due time it'll become less popular once the novelty of being a new ride wears off. I don't regret experiencing it despite the hour wait, it's just a pretty short experience. 2-3 minutes sounds about right though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I got deathly ill from Big Thunder Ranch Barbeque. I'm overjoyed to see that getting bulldozed.

Seems on par with Disney's other food offerings. All terrible and overpriced.

Disney World actually has some pretty good food but you need to do your research first. If you are eating at quick service food stands the entire trip then yeah it's pretty bad but spend some time to research all the options and plan ahead and you can have good to excellent food every day of your trip.

Try going to Via Napoli, Sanaa, Ohana, Kona Café, Columbia Harbor House, Be Our Guest, Coral Reef, Sci-Fi Dine-In, Rose and Crown, Flame Tree Barbecue, Yak and Yeti, and I'm still missing some.

All great food, mostly reasonably priced.

Susurrus

My friend is in Disney land France and she having an awful time the people are so rude that adults pushing kids to the ground to get on the rides themselves

Didn't happen to me when I went to Disneyland Paris. Didn't notice any issues.

But then again I went on a dreary late fall day and the crowds weren't too bad. Did everything in the main park before lunch, ate at Planet Hollywood, then did the studios park after lunch, then finished off by watching the Christmas thing in the main park. Wife even got some shopping in.

Disclaimer: The only Disney parks I've been to Disney World (FL), Disney Tokyo parks, and Disney Paris.

I went to Blue Bayou last time and had the Monte Cristo. GF had the salmon. Both were amazing.

That Hungry Bear restaurant makes some awesome sandwiches.

And that place in California Adventure that looks like a movie theater has an outstanding menu all around.

Even some of the less fancy places in Disneyland/California Adventure have been getting better. There's good mexican food in both parks for one

The best food is at Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney though

lunchtoast

Space Mountain is normally a minute thirty seconds long, but STtG speeds it up to be around or under a minute.

Some background: I've never ridden Space Mountain before, but I recently went to Disneyland for the first time in maybe 15-20 years with a friend of mine because we got free passes. I fucking HATE rollercoasters and get intense motion sickness so it was a huge deal for her to even convince me to get on it in the first place. She felt terrible that STtG was the version of the ride I got to experience.

I felt like I was gonna die. I never want to go on it again but I am curious as to what a slowed down version of the ride would be like, especially without shit flying and screaming in my face the whole time. 30 seconds is a LONG time when you're on a rollercoaster scared to death trying not to black out.

What is STtG?

Disney World actually has some pretty good food but you need to do your research first. If you are eating at quick service food stands the entire trip then yeah it's pretty bad but spend some time to research all the options and plan ahead and you can have good to excellent food every day of your trip.
I wonder how the pulled pork waffle fries are in WDW Magic Kingdom frontier land area is. One of the outposts. Looks amazing and only $8!

I was tempted to pick one of those up a couple days ago.

I wonder how the pulled pork waffle fries are in WDW Magic Kingdom frontier land area is. One of the outposts. Looks amazing and only $8!

I was tempted to pick one of those up a couple days ago.
They are pretty good. Not amazing, almost no quick service I would call amazing except for Columbia Harbor House (Lobster Roll and Cobbler) and Flame Tree Barbecue (those ribs man). It's filling and good tasting food for relatively cheap. It's called quick service for a reason.

I last went during the Food and Wine Festival in 2014, I am a huge Disney World food guy.

Ohana. I just devoured that shrimp, dumplings, and bread pudding.
Sanaa. The Naan Bread Service is crazy good.
Coral Reef. I can't get enough of the Lobster Mac and Cheese.
Sci-Fi Dine-In. Milkshakes plus Picnic Burger are heaven.
Via Napoli. Some of the best pizza I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom