• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WandaVision to be rolled out weekly, running times vary

bitbydeath

Once a week is too long for me. I’ll wait for the lot to drop so I don’t have to switch between shows. Ideally they should drop episodes of shows daily to get the best of both worlds. IMO.

We had discussions about [dropping the season all at once],” Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige tells TVLine, “but everybody at Disney+ had decided — and we very much agreed with — the notion of the fun of week-to-week.”
To be exact, WandaVision (which stars MCU vets Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany as Wanda Maximoff and Vision) will launch with its first twoepisodes, before going to a once-a-week schedule
Feige also cleared the air for us on WandaVisionepisode lengths, seeing as the first three episodes screened by the press on Friday all hovered around a half-hour
Once the series begins to break away from that creative construct, as the close of Episode 3 most strongly suggests, running times “start to vary more, yes,” Feige assures TVLine.

Batiman

Banned
I like them weekly. Something little to look forward to every week. They could make a 20 episode season and people eat that shit up in a weekend. It really makes me wonder what’s the point of episodes? Why not make a season into a movie or a trilogy at that point. That’s just me

I wonder what their logic for doing this is. I understand when you're premiering on TV networks and you want to maximize ad revenue/commercials, but I don't get why streaming services do this. Maybe they think people will be more likely to keep their subscription going if they slowly release the episodes over time?

Amazon did this with The Boys Season 2. I ended up telling myself I would just watch it once every episode is out, but then just forgot about the show.

I like them weekly. Something little to look forward to every week. They could make a 20 episode season and people eat that shit up in a weekend. It really makes me wonder what’s the point of episodes? Why not make a season into a movie or a trilogy at that point. That’s just me
It's sorta hard to convince an audience to watch a 20 hour movie. I know people who refuse to watch The Irishman due to the runtime. A lot easier for people to commit to the idea of episodes. Even if they plan on binging it, episodes allow you to easier control exactly how you decide to binge it. I binge most shows I'm interested in, but my binging usually takes the form of 2-3 hours a day often with a break in-between days.

Jethalal

Banned
Weekly release increases the 'spread' and discussion of the show. I remember looking at the new memes from THE BOYS S2 after each week and that clearly helped the show.

Cause most people can't wait and watch week to week. It's for engagement stays in the zeightgeist longer if you slow roll it. It's not like HBO sold ads either and game of thrones released weekly
HBO advertises their other content hard. For GoT they were constantly trying to raise interest in stuff like Chernobyl, Big Little Lies, Succession and the Deadwood movie. I honestly don't use my Disney+ enough to recall whether they do the same.

theclaw135

Banned
Flexible running times in a mainstream TV show? I await how it opens up storytelling, the better part of a century the industry has been chained to producing 30 or 60 minute blocks paced so that commercial breaks aren't too distruptive.

Some of the Madolorian run times were a hair too short, IMO.

Yeah, I liked how the show didn't need to use fillers to fill up the 40-60 minutes slot either way, but some episodes legit had like 20 minutes of actual content if you take out the opening, the 3-4 minutes credits and whatnot. It was pretty jarring.

I'm in two minds about weekly release schedules.

It's clearly a hook to keep subscribers paying, hoping they'll forget to cancel for at least one extra month.

But I like the idea of having a show we all have to watch at the same pace, and where you can't have the ending spoilt the day the show landed.

The problem, yet again, is there being too many competing services with too divided libraries of content.

I only want Disney plus for Mandolorian and the MCU shows, so I don't want to pay for more than a month if I don't have to. Thus it's easier to wait until the show is done, but then that kills the excitement of the show being new, and means I will see spoilers and discussions about it that will lessen the experience when I do see it, leading to me thinking I may as well wait to the end of the year to see the Loki and Falcon/Winter Soldier stuff at the same time.

TLDR: Weekly releases are great for existing subscribers but off putting as a non subscriber.

Also there are too many subscription services.

Jethalal

Banned
I'm in two minds about weekly release schedules.

It's clearly a hook to keep subscribers paying, hoping they'll forget to cancel for at least one extra month.

But I like the idea of having a show we all have to watch at the same pace, and where you can't have the ending spoilt the day the show landed.

The problem, yet again, is there being too many competing services with too divided libraries of content.

I only want Disney plus for Mandolorian and the MCU shows, so I don't want to pay for more than a month if I don't have to. Thus it's easier to wait until the show is done, but then that kills the excitement of the show being new, and means I will see spoilers and discussions about it that will lessen the experience when I do see it, leading to me thinking I may as well wait to the end of the year to see the Loki and Falcon/Winter Soldier stuff at the same time.

TLDR: Weekly releases are great for existing subscribers but off putting as a non subscriber.

Also there are too many subscription services.
If you want it for MCU and Star Wars shows, you'll get new episode each week. When wandavision gets over, Falcon and Winter Soldier starts with a week gap and then same for Loki. I like it this way, there wont be a content drought for a long time.

DKehoe

I’m finding myself enjoying weekly release schedules rather than it being dumped all at once. It means you can actually talk about it with friends rather than one person has watched everything already and the other has only seen one or two. It also gives you time to think and theorise about what might be going on instead of just ploughing into the next episode and finding out directly.

Valonquar

Gettin real tired of waiting a week inbetween episodes of Expanse. For episodic shows it's fine, but a lot of stuff now really IS one long movie and they should just dump it all at once. Gotta keep those subs subbed I guess, but still kind of dumb. Esp for Prime which everyone gets a full year or anyhow for the cheap shipping anyhow.

Kadayi

Banned
I think a couple of episode drop at the beginning followed by weekly releases is a decent strategy for allowing for that water cooler engagement. I get it that for some people that its a case of

J8frcwn.gif

and I like a good binge now and then myself but if you've got a series that has a lot going on in terms of references etc, stretching it out some time isn't a bad thing. The whole Baby Yoda thing wouldn't have become the phenomena it did, if it wasn't for that weekly drop, for instance, allowing all the memes to have their time to shine.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Weekly releases keeps people around, remember the key to viewing something is about consumption, you have to swallow your ego and take your time.

sol_bad

I love weekly releases because everyone is on the same page and everyone is discussing the same thing.
When something is dumped all at once, everyone is taking about various things at various points. And then someone will mention something from episode 2 that you completely forgot about.
ETC ETC ETC

This will be an easy skip, weekly release featuring my two least favorite characters from the Avengers

You may not care aboot them but it's sort of the point of the Disney+ shows. Giving the secondary characters more screen time to develop them further. I mean Marvel could do movies about Wanda, Vision, Hawkeye, Loki, Falcon, Winter Soldier and others but as you can see their film slate is stacked. They have 4 movies scheduled a year. If they made movies on all these existing characters it'd take another 2 years to get to new material.
I'm betting that people will have new favourite characters after these shows.

Last edited:

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion

Digestibility with bookmarks / end points.

ManaByte

Weekly releases turn streaming shows into events that people talk about all week. Shows that drop everything on day 1 are forgotten sooner. They discovered that with Mando S1 where people talked about each episode all week.

Spaceman292

Banned
I wonder what their logic for doing this is. I understand when you're premiering on TV networks and you want to maximize ad revenue/commercials, but I don't get why streaming services do this. Maybe they think people will be more likely to keep their subscription going if they slowly release the episodes over time?

Amazon did this with The Boys Season 2. I ended up telling myself I would just watch it once every episode is out, but then just forgot about the show.

It's sorta hard to convince an audience to watch a 20 hour movie. I know people who refuse to watch The Irishman due to the runtime. A lot easier for people to commit to the idea of episodes. Even if they plan on binging it, episodes allow you to easier control exactly how you decide to binge it. I binge most shows I'm interested in, but my binging usually takes the form of 2-3 hours a day often with a break in-between days.
People either talk about a thing for one week or they talk about it for ten weeks. Which is better?

NahaNago

I think as long as the length of the episodes equals to about the length of a movie then it is fine. Though with that said I hope they planned out the release of the story with this weekly release.

I agree with making some of these seasons in to trilogies. That way we get a nicely flowing storyline, plus I always wondered why these tv shows just didn't make more tv movies.

ManaByte

I think as long as the length of the episodes equals to about the length of a movie then it is fine. Though with that said I hope they planned out the release of the story with this weekly release.

I agree with making some of these seasons in to trilogies. That way we get a nicely flowing storyline, plus I always wondered why these tv shows just didn't make more tv movies.

All of the Marvel shows are six hours total.

“Well, we're looking a little differently. We're looking at it as developing them as either six hour-episodes, or nine or 10 half-hour episodes,” said Feige. “So, for instance, WandaVision started that way and Falcon and the Winter Soldier as 30 minutes, but because it's streaming, it's Disney+, and the rules have blurred over the years, yes. Some can be 23 minutes. Some can be much longer than that. But She-Hulk, for instance, is being developed as 10 30-minute episodes. Some will be longer and some will be shorter. Loki, Falcon and the Winter Soldier is being developed as six 40-50-minute episodes.”

AJUMP23

I think Disney wants people to have a water cooler show. They want people to watch and come in on Monday and talk about the episode.

Top Bottom