• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to buy a PS Vita again, I have a few questions

Recently got some money for my bday and wanted to look into getting a Vita again.

I bought one at launch, had for a year or so and loved it mostly minus the disappointment once I realized it wasn't going to be the AAA handheld solution it was originally pitched as

Not sure why I sold it, I think I was tight on money and it wasn't getting used as much once I got my PS4

Flash forward to now. I'm more often having times where Ill be in bed at night and don't want to go back downstairs to the living room to play games, etc.

I also had the realization that the Vita is probably the last dedicated hardcore handheld we will get. Between that and wanting to revisit a bunch of older games like PS1 classics I figured now is the time to snag one before they get hard to find

I also had the OG model, Target is selling the vita 2000 which looks really nice, don't really care about lack of OLED

Is 64 GB safe to say, going to be the final and largest size of memory card we will see? I hate ordering stuff online but don't see much of a choice in this case, so I'm looking at amazon

If I make an effort to buy physical where I can, will 64GB be sufficient?

If you're primarily buying physical, 64GB should be plenty, if not overkill.

Good choice on the 2000 model, it's a lot lighter and more comfortable to hold, and the battery life is better. Makes it a much better handheld in my book.

Busaiku

Yeah, I'm on a 16 GB, since I mostly get physical.
PS Classics might push that if you get a ton, but you're good for the most part.

There's pretty much zero chance of us getting a card higher than 64GB. I would go for it.

I use a 32GB myself, but that's because I can't justify $100+ on 64. It's a fine size, but I've been at the absolute limit of it for a while now and regularly swap out content.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think you even need 64 unless you end up being a HUGE fan that needs everything installed at once. Even as a primarily digital gamer I'm fine with the 32.

kadotsu

Banned
Do you have a PS3? If yes you can use it to easily manage games over WIFI or USB. Get the 2000 it feels considerably better. The 64 GB card will be the largest one that will ever be available.

Clockwork5

64 gig will be fine. You might need to do a little storage management but you will be able to keep your most played games on it.

Slixshot

Banned
I have 32GB and I'm not even close to filling it. I also went from OLED first model to selling it to buying a new 2000. Love the 2000!

Zareka

64 is plenty if you're mostly buying physical. Edit: Oh yeah we're never getting bigger memory cards. That's on Sony and, well, we all know how much attention it gets from them.

Is 64 GB safe to say, going to be the final and largest size of memory card we will see?

64GB memory cards launched almost 3 years ago in Japan and there's been nothing new since then so I think it's safe to say that there's not going to be a bigger one, unless some fans reverse-engineer the copy-protection and make their own.

I don't think they'll make one bigger than 64. Maybe if the thing had been a success.

Also I don't know if this is frowned upon to say, but people in the buy/sale/trade thread here on Gaf are almost always selling their Vitas for good prices. You might want to look there if you want to save some money and don't mind used.

L.O.R.D

There's pretty much zero chance of us getting a card higher than 64GB. I would go for it.

I use a 32GB myself, but that's because I can't justify $100+ on 64. It's a fine size, but I've been at the absolute limit of it for a while now and regularly swap out content.

you can buy the 64GB card for $84 in some sites like Amazon and play-asia.

edit:wow,the last time i checked is last year,now the price is getting really high
there is one on ebay is selling it for $86 from Australia.

bigkrev

If you were dissapointed that the machine wasn't going to be a AAA machine, I hope you realize that there probably hasn't been an AAA type game on the device since you sold it.

The only reason I think 64 gig is too small is because I own well over 100 pieces of Vita digital software, and thats not including the hundreds of PSP and PS1 Classics I own as well. PS Plus used to give out retail Vita games like candy, only stopping because there really aren't that many left they haven't already given away. If you haven't been a Plus member remembering to "buy" the Vita games for a couple of years now, you probably don't need bigger than a 32 gig card

If you have a lot of PSone, PSP, and a smattering of PSplus titles it's pretty easy to fill 64GB even with physical Vita titles (at least for me), but it's the biggest card Vita will ever get. 128 would have been ideal but the hope is gone sadly.

I would unequivocally get the 2000 model if you don't care about the OLED. It's better in almost every other way I can think of. I do prefer OLED screen but the 2000 is so much more comfortable to use.

Stacked99

Banned
I have a 64 GB and have 15-20 digital games along with 5-10 full movies on my vita with much more room to spare.

Buy the 64 and never have to worry about memory

autoduelist

Get the 64g. If you end up falling in love with your vita (and you probably will) you'll be picking up a lot during sales, etc.

I have something like 300g of games... and while of course you won't have that much anytime soon, it's always nice being able to organize and keep lots of games on your card, even if you aren't playing them right now [for example, having a dedicated Final Fantasy or Resident Evil or [whatever] page].

Enjoy! Fantastic device.

kermitthefrog93

Neo Member
I haven't bought a vita memory card yet, but have heard a few stories of the 64GB card not working properly. Has anyone else experienced this?

G0523

When it comes to PSOne Classics, be aware that there are quite a few games that won't play on the Vita. For example, the most notable games that won't play are all of the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon games in North America. I'm assuming you're in North America of course.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
No card will ever contain all your games! XD

No really why do people expect vita's cards to contain all the games? Are your PS4/XB1/PC hdds big enough to contain all your games? As always Vita is the bad exception.

I have a 16gb card from d1, i'm all digital and i probably have hundreds of games, if i need space i delete a finished game, it's not that hard, this also forces you to finish games(but despite that i have lots of unfinished games :( )

Price on 64 gig is over 100

They have 32 gig for like 60 bucks

Hard to decide

I'll do most of my native Vita titles physical and save digital for PSP and PS1 classics with the occasional full download for those with no physical release

But at the same time I could just get a 64 gig and be done

Amazon lists two options for 64 card. PCH-z641j and PCH-Z641G

any difference

64 gig cards are apparently not in stock until the 15th either

Also, I know there are plenty of monster hunter likes, but which is the best?

And is there anything resembling a Pokemon style game?

heringer

Also, I know there are plenty of monster hunter likes, but which is the best?

And is there anything resembling a Pokemon style game?

Hard to tell. In terms of quality, Soul Sacrifice is probably the best, but it's also the least MH like.

Toukiden is the most MH like, but the quality isn't up to par with the series it tries to replicate.

Freedom Wars and God Eater fall somewhere in between. I like all of them, but none is as good as Monster Hunter, unfortunately.

As for Pokemon style game, there's Digimon Cyber Sleuth, which gaffers are usually quite fond of. Haven't played myself yet.

Cornbread78

Same here. I fell into the digital rut with all the great deals on PSN, so I have found myself buying digital games and having to download/delete a lot even with a 32GB card, but I cannot justify (to my wife, of course, lol) spending $100 on a memory card. It's not that big of a deal in the end because, I copy my saves to the PS+ cloud and rarely replay games.

i'm in a similar situation OP - owned one for the first few years and LOVED it. but then I lost mine :( and never ended up rebuying...but i really want to buy a new one even if it is just a dedicated PS1 machine....all my games were digital so nothing lost there either

i just really dont want to spend much on it. I thought theyd actually be going for much cheaper on craiglist and in the BST, but they still hover wound the 125 range it seems....even though demand doesnt seem like it would be there.

also i'm not sure if I should just buy a psTV for ps1 games and ps4 streaming which would be much cheaper, or go for the handheld vita unit...playing in bed and bathroom and commutes was amazing

edit: good point Shinriji - ill consider that, always worried about selling off vita games though :)

Shinriji

i'm in a similar situation OP - owned one for the first few years and LOVED it. but then I lost mine :( and never ended up rebuying...but i really want to buy a new one even if it is just a dedicated PS1 machine....all my games were digital so nothing lost there either

i just really dont want to spend much on it. I thought theyd actually be going for much cheaper on craiglist and in the BST, but they still hover wound the 125 range it seems....even though demand doesnt seem like it would be there.

also i'm not sure if I should just buy a psTV for ps1 games and ps4 streaming which would be much cheaper, or go for the handheld vita unit...playing in bed and bathroom and commutes was amazing

There is some units in BST with large MC and games for about 130. Sell the games and profit.

Onemic

Did the Vita ever get cracked like the PSP did or is it still just that exploit thing that turns it into a PSP?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

edit: good point Shinriji - ill consider that, always worried about selling off vita games though :)

There is some units in BST with large MC and games for about 130. Sell the games and profit.

While this works I still feel like the msrp for the 2000 is high. Drop that to like $129 and maybe pick up some stragglers Sony.

Top Bottom