• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where? Maybe I'm Apeist but they all kinda look similar in the quick cuts :p

During the credits of dawn you can hear him getting out of the rubble, or at least something that sounds like that

Seriously, this shot in particular had me do a double take:
r74HXcT.jpg

That's a handsome gorilla.

NYR94

Is the "Apes together strong!" line that's repeated in the trailer Koba from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes? I haven't seen that movie in a while but I think it was he who said it.
Trailer was really good.

BlazinAm

Ohhh, good catch. I was thinking that was Ceaser talking to that orange gorilla, but it might be Koba.

Dunno if that one is Koba though, I seem to remember Koba having more scars on his face.

I kinda hope if I am right this is all we see of him in the marketing at least until tv spots. Because tv spots collectively spoil everything.

Pusherman

Dawn was easily my favorite blockbuster that year and this looks like it'll be even better. I think the Planet of the Apes reboot might be my favorite franchise right now.

Renpatsu

Really confident trailer leveraging just how far they've come since Rise first came out. It's remarkable that they've retained and often exceed expectations with the characterisation in this series.

Geez, I can't believe how they nailed it out of the park with this franchise. Amazing blockbuster series it turned out to be. I remember the "I don't know" "meh" feeling with the first movie trailer. Boy, I'm glad how wrong I was.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
man there were some suspect cg shots in that trailer.

looks fun, dunno how the premise will come together though.

is this the end of the trilogy or are more planned?

wamberz1

I'm, uh, not sold on the writing in this trailer. I'm getting a little skeptical. I hope I'm wrong; I love Dawn.

I will say that they've been pretty smart with not revealing too much in the trailers so far. Dawns trailers made it out to look like it was a classic humans finding apes and wanting to fuck them up (kinda like this) when in reality
it was revealed that Koba basically instigated the whole thing and was the main cause of trouble. I'm expecting a similar twist for this.

How are you able to judge the writing based on this trailer?

I'm not sure I understand the question? People say words in this trailer. The vast majority of those spoken words will presumably appear in the movie.

I will say that they've been pretty smart with not revealing too much in the trailers so far. Dawns trailers made it out to look like it was a classic humans finding apes and wanting to fuck them up (kinda like this) when in reality
it was revealed that Koba basically instigated the whole thing and was the main cause of trouble. I'm expecting a similar twist for this.

You have a point. And I wasn't quite so down on the writing on my second watch.

B33

Banned
Yes, humans sometimes do stupid shit but what James Francos character does in the first movie breaks all suspension of disbelief. He's painted as one a great scientist but given his decision-making skills he'd be a high school drop out at best.

Nah.

The film sets up his choice as an emotional one. It's a bad decision but that's only with hindsight. We can empathize with why he does what he does, even if it results in bad things.

Characters that make bad choices aren't necessarily bad story choices.

Regardless, you're supposed to be rooting for the apes and it's the ego and blindness of the humans that lead to their inevitable downfall. This is something that's addressed in the other Apes films.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm a bit skeptical that with this film, they seem to have lost a lot of the moral complexity that made Dawn so engaging. There were no real villains on either side in that film, no "good" side or "bad" side to root for...even Gary Oldman's character was very sympathetic. As a result, I really felt that helped make things so much more interesting and suspenseful.

But in this film, the humans seem to be standing much more firmly on the side of evil, with the sides being more clearly drawn. "To save humanity we must abandon our humanity". I get that they're telling a different story here, but from what we've seen, it seems to be a much more generic tale than the previous two films.
??? Seems like there's still plenty of ambiguity about sides just from what this trailer has shown. There's clearly a schism among apes where now there are apes collaborating with humans. And then there's the girl who Maurice and Caesar seem to take into their protection.

Strax

Nah.

The film sets up his choice as an emotional one. It's a bad decision but that's only with hindsight. We can empathize with why he does what he does, even if it results in bad things.

Characters that make bad choices aren't necessarily bad story choices.

Regardless, you're supposed to be rooting for the apes and it's the ego and blindness of the humans that lead to their inevitable downfall. This is something that's addressed in the other Apes films.

He steals a genetically altered chimp to raise it (and takes it out for a walk!) at the same time his father suffers from dementia. He does this for 3 years!

Fuck that.

JdFoX187

Banned
This looks like the storyline they should have gone with for the second film. Despite it getting a lot of praise, I just didn't really care for it. The whole thing felt like a stopgap that really didn't propel the story forward any and was another example of drama based around certain characters -- humans, mostly -- making the dumbest decisions possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom