• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k : Space Marine E3 Trailer

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Trailer was actually kind of tame. Hope we can spot some gameplay videos over the course of the show.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Yeah but, I feel like I should be reading a hundred books about it. Mainly due to all the crazy shit we hear about it.
You'll get tastes from Abnett's books. I'm reading the Eisenhorn Omnibus right now (first foray into W40K books) and it's pretty damn good.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Are there like, books dedicated to certain races and stuff? And like, certain squads? Because I may just make a list, close my eyes, and pick one and start reading.

Xater

Can't wait for this. Also ooks like I can play my beloved Ultramarines. :D

Also good to see that the glorious PC master race is still safe for port begging...

EvaPlusMinus said:
Are there like, books dedicated to certain races and stuff? And like, certain squads? Because I may just make a list, close my eyes, and pick one and start reading.

For the most part all the series are like this, they tend to focus on particular chapter of marines, squad of troops, etc.

A good recommendation for easy to read stuff is to get one of the short story anthologies books, theres like 4-5 of them. The short stories are good for people who are not as familiar with the setting as they are bite sized and give a good mix of coverage for the universe.

Horus Heresy is a good starting point for 40k lore as it sets up the modern 40k universe. You'll get glimpses of the other races and the state of the Imperium and it's connection to Chaos is a really compelling story.

flsh

Banned
No PC version? :(
I'll probably buy this day 1 even if it's not good just for the story and kicking ass as a SM.

Pick up a Dan Abnett book and then refer to wiki's when you want to explore some questions about the background. I highly recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series. It's about the Imperial Guard, who are the human fighters for the Imperium. Regular fighting men and women. The books are ridiculously fun with action, explosions, and decapitations in every chapter. But they are also well written with great dialog and characters that you care about.

Graham MacNeill is good too, and I've heard good things about Aaron Dembski-Bowden, who has an awesome blog by the way. But with Abnett you really can't go wrong.

I cannot wait for this game. I have been very excited about it.

For books (I read alot of WH40K)

The Horus Heresy series (various authors) is excellent.

I like James Swallow, if you are an actual Blood Angels fan you tend to hate him but I thought the Blood Angels Omnibus was excellent.

Dan Abnett is a fine writer, though I am more a fan of the SM lore and not so much Imperial Guard and Inquisition which he covers alot

People will tend to tell you to read Space Wolves stuff..they were meh.

Thy have a new Space Marines battle series that covers a famous battle from a certain chapter. They have both been pretty good Rynns World (Crimson Fists) and Helsreach (Black Templars)

The two easiest to find short story compilations are also good Heros and Legends of the Space Marines .

Daigoro

EvaPlusMinus said:
Yeah but, I feel like I should be reading a hundred books about it. Mainly due to all the crazy shit we hear about it.

really most of the background info comes from the codex rule books from the table top game. thats where most people learned the lore. the novels just flesh things out and go into detail on certain people, places, and things.

just get a Dan Abnett compendium or something. that's a good point to start at.

then read about Space Hulks!

damn i want a good Space Hulk video game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Draft

It's so bizarre that there's no PC version. I get that this is a console focused game. But this is a developer that has no console fanbase working with an IP that AFAIK has no console fanbase. Clearly they are trying to change that with this game, but with an Xbox version in the works, what is the business justification to not toss a throwaway port on Steam?

Makes no sense.

Xater

Draft said:
It's so bizarre that there's no PC version. I get that this is a console focused game. But this is a developer that has no console fanbase working with an IP that AFAIK has no console fanbase. Clearly they are trying to change that with this game, but with an Xbox version in the works, what is the business justification to not toss a throwaway port on Steam?

Makes no sense.

You could not be more wrong. There is a precendent for Relic to do this with their own console focused game The Outfit. There also have been different Warhammer and Warhammer 40k games for consoles and you can count on people knowing Warhammer from the tabletop and/or books. Warhammer 40k is not just popular because of Relic's PC games you know?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really want to play this using my 360 pad on my TV while sitting on a couch... running off my computer so I can guarantee 60 fps at 1080p. I do recall them reading that they will do a PC version if the demand seems high enough.

Draft

Xater said:
You could not be more wrong. There is a precendent for Relic to do this with their own console focused game The Outfit. There also have been different Warhammer and Warhammer 40k games for consoles and you can count on people knowing Warhammer from the tabletop and/or books. Warhammer 40k is not just popular because of Relic's PC games you know?
No, you could not be more wrong. The Outfit sucked, nobody is buying a game because it has, "From the team that brought you THE OUTFIT" on the box. No WH40k console game has ever achieved anything resembling critical or commercial success. The only successful games ever produced using the WH40k IP were PC exclusive. If there are any video gamers out there clamoring for more WH40k, they are on the PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Draft said:
No, you could not be more wrong. The Outfit sucked, nobody is buying a game because it has, "From the team that brought you THE OUTFIT" on the box. No WH40k console game has ever achieved anything resembling critical or commercial success. The only successful games ever produced using the WH40k IP were PC exclusive. If there are any video gamers out there clamoring for more WH40k, they are on the PC.
This man speaks true. We PC gamers are what built the house of Relic and made them as successful as they are today.

Xater

Draft said:

You didn't get my two points at all.

1. The Outfit = Console focused just like Space Marine. I completely get that decision

2. The Warhammer IP is not just known to PC gamers.

Wich means you are wrong two fold and now quit whining and be ready to buy a console game.

Draft

Xater said:

1. The Outfit = Console focused just like Space Marine. I completely get that decision

Wich means you are wrong two fold and now quit whining and be ready to buy a console game.
I get your points. My points override your points.

Console focused is fine, I love console focused. Business wise, makes no sense to not exploit the existing WH40k video game fan base that exists on the PC and that doesn't exist on Xbox or PS3 (literally CANNOT exist because there are no WH40k video games for Xbox or PS3.)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xater said:

1. The Outfit would have worked just fine on PC, there is no such thing as a game needing to be console focused as you can hook up any of the current consoles controllers to your PC just fine.

2. The Warhammer is probably best known by PC gamers, so it makes no sense to ignore that market.

Why would we settle for a lesser game?

Xater

Draft said:
I get your points. My points override your points.

Console focused is fine, I love console focused. Business wise, makes no sense to not exploit the existing WH40k video game fan base that exists on the PC and that doesn't exist on Xbox or PS3 (literally CANNOT exist because there are no WH40k video games for Xbox or PS3.)

There can be fans because the IP is first and foremost a tabletop game. I know that shit since I was twelve, way before I played any video game with Space Marines. And from the top of my head there were WH40K games for the PS1, PS2, PSP and DS.

Edit: Also I no longer play PC games for the most part and love Warhammer 40K. So should I start whining that I don't get to play Dawn of War 2? There are console RTS games so why not right? This shit you guys are pulling works both ways.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xater said:
Edit: Also I no longer play PC games for the most part and love Warhammer 40K. So should I start whining that I don't get to play Dawn of War 2? There are console RTS games so why not right? This shit you guys are pulling works both ways.
Can you hook up a mouse and keyboard to play Dawn of War 2 easily? RTS is built around the use of mouse and keyboard and every single RTS that has tried to make it work on a controller has been mediocre to shit. And on PC we can very easily hook up a controller to play this game.

Xater

Stallion Free said:
Can you hook up a mouse and keyboard to play Dawn of War 2 easily? RTS is built around the use of mouse and keyboard and every single RTS that has tried to make it work on a controller has been mediocre to shit. And on PC we can very easily hook up a controller to play this game.

Hell yes I can, on my PS3! And I rather have it with gimped controls, than not at all. Now what?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BTW, was this ever posted? It's a leaked 10-minute walkthrough, narrated by one of the development staff. Dates from May 2008 though, so presumably the game has changed a bit.

LowParry

Dawn of War II on consoles would actually translate very well. It's not too heavy micromanagement like SC2. Would be a great exposure to the franchise to console players easily. You know you want to Relic.

Xater

luxarific said:
BTW, was this ever posted? It's a leaked 10-minute walkthrough, narrated by one of the development staff. Dates from May 2008 though, so presumably the game has changed a bit.

Yep that's really old and from what I understand the game changed a lot since then.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
luxarific said:

Saw it back when it first hit the net. I spooghed. Now, I wanna see some new stuff. They were so gung-ho about the game during E3 '09. I don't understand why they were more subdued about it during E3 '10. If anything I would've thought they would've shown us a lot more stuff because the game was almost finished. Something's fishy.

V_Ben

Banned
Xater said:
Yep that's really old and from what I understand the game changed a lot since then.

It's also changed developer since then. That version was, from what i can remember reading, scrapped completely.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Vilix said:
Saw it back when it first hit the net. I spooghed. Now, I wanna see some new stuff. They were so gung-ho about the game during E3 '09. I don't understand why they were more subdued about it during E3 '10. If anything I would've thought they would've shown us a lot more stuff because the game was almost finished. Something's fishy.

Maybe they're waiting until the Ultramarines CGI movie comes out for the extra marketing push? I agree, the silence is troubling though. I hope this game doesn't die - the 2008 preview looked like it would be fun.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Vilix said:
I don't know you, but I must make love to you now. Is that weird? :/

As far as I can tell they only made the "it's coming out for PC too" announcement at Comic Con. Which, while nice, is sort of skimpy. I was hoping for a game play video at least. ;_;

Xater said:
There can be fans because the IP is first and foremost a tabletop game. I know that shit since I was twelve, way before I played any video game with Space Marines. And from the top of my head there were WH40K games for the PS1, PS2, PSP and DS.

I'm amazed there wasn't a port for DoW II, that game could easily work on a pad. They'll have to tone the difficulty down a tad though.

DoWII is a noobs RTS, if you could play Dark omen and shadow of the horned rat on a playstation pad, DoW II could easily be played with 360 and DS3 clumbsticks.

derFeef

Also new Screens.

Spacemarine-1.jpg

Spacemarine-2.jpg

Spacemarine-3.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/26/warhammer-40k-space-marine-announced-for-pc/

Top Bottom