• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k : Space Marine E3 Trailer

Orgun

Excellent, i've been looking forward to this since they said they would show more at Gamescom during E3.

Hopefully they show more of the 40K MMO too.

derFeef

We knew that already, but nice to get a reminder. Can not wait to see this in action and hope it turns out good. But come on, it´s relic - and it´s WH40K done by relic :D

Philthy

Alucrid said:
The emperor still hasn't done shit, right? I stopped playing the miniatures a while ago, but the emperor is still a vegetable, right?

Correct. He is still entombed in the golden throne keeping the Astronomicon focused. He does provide visions to certain people here and there (Most notably in the first Guants Ghost book), but doesn't directly speak, move, or do much of anything other than stink. He guides people/humanity more than anything.

Also, for anyone wanting to jump into 40k books, I would suggest the Horus Heresy series. At the very least the first three books, and then maybe branch out to where ever you want or continue on. The first three are excellent and set up the background of what is to come. The actual battle of Terra with Horus and the Emperor has not been written yet, so...

Abnett books are well done, but I dont think they would be good for people unfamiliar with the universe. Especially the Gaunts series. They assume you know a lot about the 40k universe and can deal with not much action going on for chapters on end, virtually no space marines or anything else. Not that they're boring or anything, it's some of the best 40k fluff out there, just get familiar with it beforehand. It will bring a more human shade to the universe rather than the blunt space marine 'you will now die' stereotype.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Animation-Imp said:
Interested to see how the console version and the pc version compare...
Well this is probably going to blow your mind, but the PC version will look better as it will be able to run at much higher resolutions and will likely be able to use anti-aliasing. There is also a good chance we will have better textures. As long as we have pad support, there will be no reason to get the console version other than it's too inconvenient for you to hook up your PC to your TV or you want the achievement points/trophies.

Philthy said:
Abnett books are well done, but I dont think they would be good for people unfamiliar with the universe. Especially the Gaunts series. They assume you know a lot about the 40k universe and can deal with not much action going on for chapters on end, virtually no space marines or anything else. Not that they're boring or anything, it's some of the best 40k fluff out there, just get familiar with it beforehand. It will bring a more human shade to the universe rather than the blunt space marine 'you will now die' stereotype.

On the contrary, I'd suggest Abnett's books as one of the best "ins" to the universe. They assume some knowledge of the WH40K world but work perfectly without, and they boast perhaps the best writing in any of the tie-in novels and present a more human side of the GrimDark future.

Better that than some of the dreadful stuff that is barely a step above the box-outs in one of the 40K rulebooks...

Philthy

Cosmonaut X said:
On the contrary, I'd suggest Abnett's books as one of the best "ins" to the universe. They assume some knowledge of the WH40K world but work perfectly without, and they boast perhaps the best writing in any of the tie-in novels and present a more human side of the GrimDark future.

Better that than some of the dreadful stuff that is barely a step above the box-outs in one of the 40K rulebooks...

Problem being, they really deal with more internal stuff and subversion more than actual fighting the various races within 40k. It is more of a look inside the imperium as a grunt and an officer. I've only read the first three or so Gaunts books, so that may change later, but I don't think it would really draw anyone into the universe because it doesn't show much of it at all save for some chaos marines popping up here and there, and chaos armies running around.

I think for someone who is excited to read about waves of Orks, Necrons, Eldar, etc that have Space Marines crushing them under their bootheels are going to be let down initially. The first three Horus Heresy books are one huge bromance of high fives, fist pumping, and death and destruction of various alien armies across countless worlds. Then the fraternity begins to falter, people begin seeing things, and chaos ensues.

Philthy, I agree with you. I don't read Abnetts small picture grunt on the ground stuff.

I like space marines, planetary bombardments, orbital drops, alien extermination. I am on the last chapters of Galaxy in Flames and the first three Heresy books have been excellent. I would also say if you like fluff go right threw to Flight of the Eisenstein and Fulgrim as while I own but havent read them I heard they are excellent fluff wise especially Fulgrim.

Philthy

Yes, both of those are amazing as well. Fulgrim has a pretty epic moment where you see just how badass a Primarch can be. Probably one of the highlights of the entire series right there in that book.

They are literally walking gods of war.

Philthy said:
Problem being, they really deal with more internal stuff and subversion more than actual fighting the various races within 40k. It is more of a look inside the imperium as a grunt and an officer. I've only read the first three or so Gaunts books, so that may change later, but I don't think it would really draw anyone into the universe because it doesn't show much of it at all save for some chaos marines popping up here and there, and chaos armies running around.

I think for someone who is excited to read about waves of Orks, Necrons, Eldar, etc that have Space Marines crushing them under their bootheels are going to be let down initially. The first three Horus Heresy books are one huge bromance of high fives, fist pumping, and death and destruction of various alien armies across countless worlds. Then the fraternity begins to falter, people begin seeing things, and chaos ensues.

Dunno - they might not have the scale of other Black Library titles, but the siege on Vervunhive in Necropolis or the assault on Orestes in Titanicus are exciting, epic conflicts that Abnett brings to life in large part through his focus on the "little person" in the 40K universe. His entries in the Horus Heresy series are perhaps more in line with what you're talking about, but even there he grounds and enriches them by writing around the massive, universe-shaking events and the godlike Astartes. I know this might be heresy (pun only slightly intended ;-) ) but I find the Marines pretty boring as leads and it's more interesting seeing them at a remove - it also helps the writer communicate the awe and "otherness" of these engineered, superhuman combatants.

Daigoro

nice bullshots up there.

good news about the PC version. i want this game to be AWESOME.

derFeef said:
We knew that already, but nice to get a reminder. Can not wait to see this in action and hope it turns out good. But come on, it´s relic - and it´s WH40K done by relic :D

yep. and Relic has done the hands down best interpretation of 40k for video games. so i have high hopes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Daigoro said:
nice bullshots up there.

good news about the PC version. i want this game to be AWESOME.

yep. and Relic has done the hands down best interpretation of 40k for video games. so i have high hopes.
You don't really need to do bullshots if there's a PC version. I wonder if the next Relic RTS game will look that good.

Philthy said:
Correct. He is still entombed in the golden throne keeping the Astronomicon focused.

Interesting fact from the newer rule set is that the Golden Throne has developed technological failures beyond the current ability of the Adeptus Mechanicus to repair. So the Emperor might be done with soon. From a lore perspective I would love to see what happens with that.

Daigoro

SapientWolf said:
You don't really need to do bullshots if there's a PC version. I wonder if the next Relic RTS game will look that good.

well yeah, but those shots are certainly touched up a bit. no?

DOW II is an awesome looking game, but on my rigs reccomended or auto settings the game cant even get 30fps consistently.

cant imagine what kind of PC would be able to decently run an RTS that looks like those screens. it would be brutal.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
It's releasing in Spring 2011, but isn't in this fiscal year, so it has to be either April, May, or June.

I'm really tired of devs/pubs putting out info years before a game's release. Sure, it gets you excited. But, it also makes you suffer through the waiting.

Decado

Nirolak said:
It's releasing in Spring 2011, but isn't in this fiscal year, so it has to be either April, May, or June.
Hopefully they can find a slot that isn't too busy. The first half of next year is looking insane for violent shooters. Of course other games could be delayed.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
CF_Fighter said:
Interesting fact from the newer rule set is that the Golden Throne has developed technological failures beyond the current ability of the Adeptus Mechanicus to repair. So the Emperor might be done with soon. From a lore perspective I would love to see what happens with that.

I want the missing primarchs to come back. Extra points if one of them is female. For the Empress! :lol :lol

Enosh said:

That was awesome. "Cover? We don't need no stinking cover!" I hope there's a new trailer.

Meteorain

CF_Fighter said:

Reckon he'll just ascend and become a massive presence in the warp. That's what Gods are essentially in the 40k Universe.

hteng

Banned
so with all the primarch still missing or dead, how will the emperium deal with chaos when the emperor finally fades away?

delume

Am really optimistic about this game. Just reading the Gaunt's Ghosts novels for the first time and am completely hyped for anything 40k. :) My only concern is how prevalent the gun emplacement and on-rails sections will be (featured heavily in that Gamespot video). Footage still looks very promising though.

delume said:
Am really optimistic about this game. Just reading the Gaunt's Ghosts novels for the first time and am completely hyped for anything 40k. :) My only concern is how prevalent the gun emplacement and on-rails sections will be (featured heavily in that Gamespot video). Footage still looks very promising though.

Gaunt's Ghosts is great. Every time I read a book set in the 40k universe I think of both what an awesome game it could make and how much work it would be to make it. I really hope Relic's going to pull it off, sell Space Marine in spades, and expand the scope of their game in future projects.

The footage in that interview looks pretty good by the way. I hope there's more enemies than just orks (not my favorite 40k foes), but otherwise it seems to do a good job of conveying the brutality.

Enosh

well I hope the finished version has some more "synch kills" 2 while they look awesome, seem kinda like a too low number

Philthy

hteng said:
so with all the primarch still missing or dead, how will the emperium deal with chaos when the emperor finally fades away?

True threat to the galaxy is actually the Tyranids. They are expected to devour everything. Necrons may play a role in how that really plays out, but GW hasn't been filling in the details of why Tyranids avoid Necron tombworlds and the fact that Necron C'Tan gods have already awakened and have been roaming the galaxy.

If GW has the cajones to actually let the Emperor die, I think they would follow it up with him being reborn, or Primarchs making their way back to take over. Or both.

Jinaar

WARRRGHHHHHH! Is there a youtube link to this? (Searched youtube itself and found nadda). Gamespot is blocked at work. :(

Meteorain

hteng said:

Meteorain said:
Reckon he'll just ascend and become a massive presence in the warp. That's what Gods are essentially in the 40k Universe.

So essentially you'll be having him act like a "good god".

Philthy said:
True threat to the galaxy is actually the Tyranids. They are expected to devour everything. Necrons may play a role in how that really plays out, but GW hasn't been filling in the details of why Tyranids avoid Necron tombworlds and the fact that Necron C'Tan gods have already awakened and have been roaming the galaxy.

If GW has the cajones to actually let the Emperor die, I think they would follow it up with him being reborn, or Primarchs making their way back to take over. Or both.

There is nothing of value on a tombworld for Nids. They need organics.

You can bet that GW will have a new reborn Emperor someday. Shitloads of new stuff they can invent if he does.

Philthy

NemesisPrime said:
There is nothing of value on a tombworld for Nids. They need organics.

Tomb worlds are found on any planet, even ones that are completely colonized. Yet they are avoided by the Nids.

Azih

According to the fluff don't Necrons beat Tyranids handily as Tyranids need organics to devour and propagate Aliens style which Necrons are immune to while Necorns have no problems with assimilating organics like the nids to expand?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Azih said:
According to the fluff don't Necrons beat Tyranids handily as Tyranids need organics to devour and propagate Aliens styel which Necrons are immune to while Necorns have no problems with assimilating organics like the nids to expand?
Pretty close.

Add to that the strength of Necron Gauss weaponry, which is the most imba, broken god-tier technology around; the Nids would take no profit from a battle, but heavy organic losses.

GW has painted itself into a corner, with the C'tan and Necrons strength, which is only balanced by the Tyrannid "stalemate", and the fact that the writers aren't allowed to wake up the rest of their armies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've been out of the 40K-scene for a LONG time now, but aren't the Necrons those god-awful, near unbeatable mofo's that force you into stealth- and ambush-tactics because you'd need a damn truckload worth of Space-Marines and gear to beat them otherwise?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
K.Jack said:
It's 100% likely to be a Steamworks game, but there's also a strong chance that they'll tie it to GFWL. Hopefully not.
Darksiders, the next big THQ game is going the full Steamworks with achievements and everything so I hope this will too. Screw GFWL.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
neorej said:
I've been out of the 40K-scene for a LONG time now, but aren't the Necrons those god-awful, near unbeatable mofo's that force you into stealth- and ambush-tactics because you'd need a damn truckload worth of Space-Marines and gear to beat them otherwise?
Even Space Marines have little hope, with their endless regeneration and light skimmers which can take down Land Raiders.

Necron tech is millennia beyond the rest of their universe.
Stallion Free said:
Darksiders, the next big THQ game is going the full Steamworks with achievements and everything so I hope this will too. Screw GFWL.
I'll pray that Relic has learned from the awful matchmaking and lack of social scene DoW2 is suffering, with GFWL.

Top Bottom