• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide |OT| It's not Ogre yet.

Corpekata

Banned
How do you beat the wizard house mission? Getting to the final encounter is easy, but my team's never passed the 'defend the four points' encounters.

I've done it with splitting the teams into two, one focuses the ones on the left side, other the right. Generally gives you enough stopping power to not get overwhelmed and if a special comes out and hurts one team, it isn't too hard to get to them in time.

They rarely attack all at once (and if they do, one tends to have a smaller force and the beacon can take a few hits while you clean up).

Granjinha

Kinda shocked with the low profile of the game. It's nearing 200K on Steam, lol.

Wanted to get it but have no friends to play the game with :(

Kinda shocked with the low profile of the game. It's nearing 200K on Steam, lol.

Wanted to get it but have no friends to play the game with :(

That's what GAF is here for. Plus the randoms at Hard or above generally seem to be fairly competent people. I spend most my time playing with randoms and I do Nightmare and Cataclysm.

Maximo

A team game doesn't mean it as to have absolutely horrible unfun mechanics. But anyways, this game is going to disappear into the ether of diarrhea all such terrible games do, so not a big deal. But I hope the game designers learn from this. Never take away a players' agency unless it is absolutely designed well. Otherwise you get such forgettable tripe.

Man your entitled to your opinion but..
tumblr_inline_nu9qpzXMnU1rqi1iw_500.gif

Game has been the only thing I have played since it released.

Anyway anyway any Gaffers wanna play together? Not having luck on Nightmare and Cataclysm with randoms.

Granjinha

That's what GAF is here for. Plus the randoms at Hard or above generally seem to be fairly competent people. I spend most my time playing with randoms and I do Nightmare and Cataclysm.

If i do end up buying the game i'm gonna invite some of you guys to play with then lol

A team game doesn't mean it as to have absolutely horrible unfun mechanics. But anyways, this game is going to disappear into the ether of diarrhea all such terrible games do, so not a big deal. But I hope the game designers learn from this. Never take away a players' agency unless it is absolutely designed well. Otherwise you get such forgettable tripe.

You seem like a nice person to hang around.

-MD-

Plus the randoms at Hard or above generally seem to be fairly competent people. I spend most my time playing with randoms and I do Nightmare and Cataclysm.

I wish this was true, I haven't finished a map in days on hard or nightmare, all wipes.

Day of release I found a couple great groups, pretty rare for me to find decent players now though.

Apt101

Whatever. This is going to end up one of those games that caters to a niche of gamers with poor tastes. Just another bad use of the Warhammer license.

PS I got my refund. Thank god.

-MD-

Whatever. This is going to end up one of those games that caters to a niche of gamers with poor tastes. Just another bad use of the Warhammer license.

PS I got my refund. Thank god.

Some pretty poor trolling going on here. You don't need to keep repeating yourself, move on.

Asmodai48

Wow so much salt in this post.

Assuming you guys already know about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPKJN_k968

Yeah, I dunno, glitching out the game to get the best loot with zero effort seems pretty lame and completely missing the point, but then again my buddy plays exclusively Witch Hunter and in 50 hours of gameplay has not gotten a single non-white set of Pistols. We can do Nightmare runs of most maps, but it feels like it's tougher than it should be due to his absolute shit luck with loot.

Yeah, I dunno, glitching out the game to get the best loot with zero effort seems pretty lame and completely missing the point, but then again my buddy plays exclusively Witch Hunter and in 50 hours of gameplay has not gotten a single non-white set of Pistols. We can do Nightmare runs of most maps, but it feels like it's tougher than it should be due to his absolute shit luck with loot.

Thats kind of where I'm at. I'm level 50. Can do cataclysm legitimately and have never rolled a legendary only forged from blues. Still I hope they patch it soon. I say as much in the video. For me it's more a ...if you guys are feeling burnt out from RNG here's a way around it.

KKRT00

I think the Pack Master movement is too fast when he grabs a player. It is almost as fast as any character, which is really strange.

I think the Pack Master movement is too fast when he grabs a player. It is almost as fast as any character, which is really strange.

I agree, in addition to the assholes telescoping grabber. Thing will grab you through walls down the hallway. But yea it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him to be able to pull a struggling person away as fast or faster than they move normally. Especially on cata where it's a 3-4 hit down.

Grimalkin

It's a forcing function to make players use their ranged weapons. I personally am complete crap at the ranged weapons so... sorry teammates. :(

I like this game a LOT but there are many things that need fixed. I never really got into L4D beyond running each map 5-10 times but I think the two games have similar issues except for the fact that Vermintide has the added loot issues.

I play the dwarf pretty much exclusively. If someone else wants to play the dwarf I will switch to the waywatcher but yeah, I wish I could somehow take my loot from the other classes and forge it into loot for the 2 classes I do play. Even at a 5:1 ratio, I don't care, I just need better loot! :)

I really don't agree with the RPS article. For me it basically says, "I don't want to put any real effort into this game." When he says stuff like,

When I first started playing, I made some notes. The thrust of that initial critical appraisal was fairly damning; an investigation into all the ways that Vermintide reminded me of Left 4 Dead’s finer qualities. Mainly, I missed the wonderful audio cues that allow me to orient myself and prepare for whatever horror is approaching when playing Turtle Rock’s co-op masterpiece. For all the blood, gore and apparent chaos, Left 4 Dead’s world is always legible.

...There’s an attempt to provide the same awareness of enemy approaches and item locations as is evident in Left 4 Dead, but everything in Vermintide feels muddier and messier.

That just... I don't even know where to begin. ALL of the harder mobs are clearly telegraphed, both visually and with audio cues. The only mob that ever gets the jump on my groups is the packmaster which is AS DESIGNED. It's Warhammer Fantasy. The world is messier, it's supposed to be you barely keeping back the horde, you barely holding on, people going down left and right. It's not meant to be a precision tactical game. It's supposed to be throw you into the depths and hope you can get out by the slimmest of margins.

Forget the rats shagging in the sewers and scurrying up your plugholes, Vermintide’s true horror is the ruthlessness of its playerbase. If you’re not contributing toward a superior haul of loot, you might as well be ratfood.

Again, this perfectly suits the tone of Warhammer Fantasy. They aren't a bunch of chums going out to claim land for god and country, characters in Warhammer never get along and most of the alliances on either a grand or micro scale are all about, "We must temporarily band together to overcome Chaos but at first opportunity I am going to leave you in the dust".

Finally, most people I've played with have been fine. No one has left anyone to die because it's a detriment to the group as a whole. Sure, there have been plenty of people who have no clue what they're doing and may wipe the group but that's true of any game. And yes, there are people trying to get through the maps as efficiently as possible but that's because they're already played them 10+ times and know the story and the map.

I guess I'm glad he (kind of?) liked the game. Vermintide is definitely a game where you have to invest in it, at least a little bit. It is punishing to people that just want to relax and have a casual time. This is not that game.

Ferrio

Banned
Been stuck on the black powder mission on normal. All the groups I go with haven't stuck in pairs or just run around killing things ignoring the powder.

Raytow

Been stuck on the black powder mission on normal. All the groups I go with haven't stuck in pairs or just run around killing things ignoring the powder.
That level has an exploit, weird you don't run into groups using it, or the rushing style top 3 mins to finish it.

Leatherface

This game kicks all sorts of ass. It totally rips off Left 4 Dead but the melee and RPG elements really make it shine. Played with a few friends tonight and it was fun as hell!!

Loam

Holy cow, the jump in difficulty for the mission 'Wheat and Chaff' is insane compared to the other act 2 missions. The constant stream of special and elite skaven just wrecks every group I've been in so far. Throw in an ogre here and there for good measure, and I almost feel like I should be grinding out better gear before I take this one on.

Ferrio

Banned
damn it. I WANT that!

It's pretty OP, was only a green item too so I was surprised it was so strong. Hell nothing on the bow indicated it did such a thing.

But it could do some really cool stuff. It'll bend around corners and kill things. Oh mr chain gun rat, I'll just hide around this corner and use this homing arrow.

I've been wanting to play a FPS recently and was going to get Halo 5, but I might just get this instead since it's cheaper anyway. Is this a good idea?

Also will some of you play with me? D:

KKRT00

I've been wanting to play a FPS recently and was going to get Halo 5, but I might just get this instead since it's cheaper anyway. Is this a good idea?

Also will some of you play with me? D:
Completely different game. This is fully coop focused, extremely hard game build around melee.

---

The world transition on Wizard's level was so awesome. I really love the atmosphere is in this game, is just amazing. They've done such a great job with it.
Btw, i wonder how will this play out on consoles. I dont think that gamepad will be too viable with current difficulty levels.

Victrix

*beard*
I hated l4d and I love this, so there's that. I'm not much of a zombie fan :D

The dialogue is shockingly good, the devs are clearly deep Warhammer Fantasy fans, so many nice touches.

KKRT00

Uhhh so what difficulty did people on IGN play this on, normal? One of their biggest pet peeves was lack of tensions or difficulty...

But Normal is quite hard, i would say even very hard, especially on the beginning.
Definitely lack of tension cant be said about this difficulty setting.
Maybe he played on Easy, i have not tried it personally.

--
21976318373_aea6023416_o.png

This is going to be awesome... some day.
So awesome.
This the items we need in this game. More uniques, more stats, more loot in general.
Game has great potential.

Bought the game and am definitely enjoying it more than I would have Halo 5. Two people from my first game added me and were extremely helpful. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Completely different game. This is fully coop focused, extremely hard game build around melee.

---

The world transition on Wizard's level was so awesome. I really love the atmosphere is in this game, is just amazing. They've done such a great job with it.
Btw, i wonder how will this play out on consoles. I dont think that gamepad will be too viable with current difficulty levels.

Yeah, I know that they're very different - I just wasn't sure what kind of experience I wanted. Glad I chose this, though. I agree about the atmosphere, it's perfect.

Uhhh so what difficulty did people on IGN play this on, normal? One of their biggest pet peeves was lack of tensions or difficulty...

Lol probably played on easy. Sounds like the review was rushed.

Impulsor

Bought the game and am definitely enjoying it more than I would have Halo 5. Two people from my first game added me and were extremely helpful. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Yeah, I know that they're very different - I just wasn't sure what kind of experience I wanted. Glad I chose this, though. I agree about the atmosphere, it's perfect.

Lol probably played on easy. Sounds like the review was rushed.

The game is anything but easy. Yesterday me and two friends started playing. And OMG, we got killed twice almost at the end of the first mission.

Commanders, Ogre, Gas Rat and swarm all at the same time, then once we got kileld at the beginning, kind of a similar combo. Geez.

The game is anything but easy. Yesterday me and two friends started playing. And OMG, we got killed twice almost at the end of the first mission.

Commanders, Ogre, Gas Rat and swarm all at the same time, then once we got kileld at the beginning, kind of a similar combo. Geez.

Yeah, I got downed once while playing on Normal difficulty. Actually, all of my team did. This game automatically wins out over L4D with me because of the loot, though. RNG will keep me coming back.

KKRT00

Yeah, the difficulty varies so much with the spawns You get. Sometimes, though quite rarely, it is almost a cake walk, other time its a nightmare.

---

How do You add people from a match to Your friendlist? I have not found the option.

Yeah, the difficulty varies so much with the spawns You get. Sometimes, though quite rarely, it is almost a cake walk, other time its a nightmare.

---

How do You add people from a match to Your friendlist? I have not found the option.

You should be able to go to View -> Players from the Steam overlay, but I just searched manually for one of them afterwards, and one of them added me.

Horn of Magnus and Black Powder exploits were patched just now.

Should be fun seeing what people transition to.

They need to address the root cause of people running the exploits, and that's the way they have the loot system set up right now.

Well, yes, but I imagine that takes more time than fixing some map bugs.

Victrix

*beard*
They need to address the root cause of people running the exploits, and that's the way they have the loot system set up right now.

Maybe I'll finally start getting into real cata matches then. I imagine I'll have to get a legitimate group to do that though. I managed to beat all maps on nightmare with randoms, but that was arduous. Cata will be a different beast entirely.

Impulsor

Yeah, I got downed once while playing on Normal difficulty. Actually, all of my team did. This game automatically wins out over L4D with me because of the loot, though. RNG will keep me coming back.

Same, RNG and loot system, as well as it being Warhammer themed.

I'm gonna play this a lot. I know it.

Top Bottom