• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide |OT| It's not Ogre yet.

Buburibon

Played it for a couple of hours last night, and right now I'm hoping they'll optimize their code so that my 5820K @ 4.5Ghz no longer chokes during the "swarms." CPU utilization is slightly greater or equal to 90% on all 12 threads, and frame rate suffers as a result, dipping as low as ~45fps during those segments. GPU load is never higher than 55% or so at 1080p with maxed details, so my OCed Titan X is definitely not the bottleneck there.

In any case, I'm liking it quite a bit (even solo with bots), and see myself playing it pretty consistently until Fallout 4 comes out on November 10th. :)

Maximo

Man the game has had more issues for me as time goes by, random freezes have to restart the game and a few crashes here and there, really fucking annoying when you almost complete a level then it crashes.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man the game has had more issues for me as time goes by, random freezes have to restart the game and a few crashes here and there, really fucking annoying when you almost complete a level then it crashes.

Buddy told me about that when they were on the clear screen the game dropped, everyone lost their shit over skype lol.

Its kinda odd on my old ass rig, its still so far not too bad. Have not had any crashes yet. Though dont have time to play online so that might change things if I do step into the arena.

FrankCaron

Just wanted to chime in to say I cancelled my Battlefront preorder for this, and after spending some time in it tonight, I think I made the right call - and convinced two others to join me.

This is like my dream version of L4D: the progression and loot systems are awesome, and the dice roll always leaves me hungrily waiting for the results.

Love, love, love it.

Add me on Steam if you're looking for a Dwarf with a penchant for shield bash. Skype ID is frankydigital.

Maximo

Man those feels when you find TWO Loot Dice. Get three of the Tomes, and 2 Grims and just die a minute before a level ends Onnightmare ...fuuuuuuuuuck.

Has any one had experience of the AI and, if so, what is it like? I am possibly planning on getting two copies so my partner and I can play local co-op.

You can easily complete every map (except Wheat and Chaff) on Hard with 2 AI.

Nightmare is also doable but you'll need to babysit them much more often so they don't die to swarms. It's also preferable if one of the bots is Dwarf or Soldier with a shield.

In any case, the devs stated there is a patch coming next week with a bunch of AI improvements, so you might want to wait for that.

Corpekata

Banned
Just got in a pug in the tavern. While waiting for the 4th, the other two remark about the bear rug, suggesting to stick their dicks in its' mouth. And then they notice how it has a big nose, and talk about how that means it is a Jew.

How do these super stereotypes of the gaming community actually exist?

Arulan

I usually find that I have to tell people that we're not exploiting at the start because so many take it for granted, and it avoids problems.

I've been playing with my group of friends for a few days. We've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 together for a number of years, and it was nice to play something different yet similar in co-op design. We're about to start Cataclysm.

I usually find that I have to tell people that we're not exploiting at the start because so many take it for granted, and it avoids problems.

I've been playing with my group of friends for a few days. We've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 together for a number of years, and it was nice to play something different yet similar in co-op design. We're about to start Cataclysm.

I've only run into one group of exploiters and they couldn't do it right. It was pretty hilarious.

Varvor

Legit good game....

Spent whole weekend playing with friends....dat first level grind on hard difuculty with 3xTome and 2xGrim

Razzorn34

Mained Bright Wizard most of the weekend. Man, I'm loving this. I wish a Warrior Priest would have made it in as a psudo support though. Maybe DLC?

Mr_eX

Just watched the giantbomb quick look of this. I didn't know this game even existed and now I have to buy it. Probably going to wait for a steam sale and then buy a bunch of copies to gift to people.

espher

Picked this up on Friday. Played a few games with three people (two different sets of people) over the course of the weekend. Game is pretty tough out of the gate, even on Normal. We're all seasoned but not amazing L4D 1/2 players (routinely clear hard, 50/50 on Expert) and got squashed quite a bit to start out haha.

One group was Empire Soldier/Waywatcher/Bright Wizard/Dwarf Ranger (Bot). We ran all the way up to the start of Act III. Played on Normal. Had one death on Horn of Magnus (at the barrels - Packmaster finished off the last guy up while we were all downed by a horde), one death on Smuggler's Run right at the end (Packmaster went ham on me when I went to save the Dwarf, and as we killed one and the last man standing started to revive after he finished a horde another Packmaster grabbed him), one death on Wizard's Tower (in the finale - got spread too thin and had a grimoire in hand), and two deaths on Wheat and Chaff before we went to Easy and cleared it on the second try. We started to get a feel for it but we don't block/push/dodge anywhere near enough (I tend to have two movement keys always pressed so I can't dodge at all, it seems).

I didn't have my understanding of the Heat mechanic quite right (I took it to be like Warhammer Online where higher heat means you have a chance of damaging yourself when casting and/or would take damage, so I was venting while in the 2nd/3rd tier and taking a fair bit of self damage but since I was hanging back I took very little enemy damage.

Second group was the same comp, but w/ the Dwarf as the player and Soldier as a bot. Guy playing the Dwarf is one of those folks who often wanders off and man oh man we discovered just how punishing that can be haha. Almost failed a few times on a few missions (since the guy playing the Waywatcher and I had some experience, we could carry him). Black Powder, though. Ugh. We got brutal spawns and were having trouble getting past four barrels. The Rat Ogre was working this group over, even as I kited it around a box over and over.

I think we can handle Hard since we just need to be on our toes a little better but I think the higher difficulties will wreck us.

Just watched the giantbomb quick look of this. I didn't know this game even existed and now I have to buy it. Probably going to wait for a steam sale and then buy a bunch of copies to gift to people.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised with the Quick Look of this game. They explained all the mechanics properly and seemed to really enjoy playing it, despite failing most of the maps.

studyguy

Man, my friend has had a bitch of a time playing this since the last update. Something fucked up for him and now it's a pain in the ass for him to load in. Takes ages for some reason.

Varvor

I spent solid day playimg this game yesterday. Did dev implement somekimd of anti-farming mechanism on higher dificulty? We would farm first level ans it would get more and more dificult with every completion but when levels were switched up, at later return to farming it was muuuch much easier few times in a row.

Looking for people who are playing this on PC. My Steam ID is Cyanide Fuse.

I only got it yesterday so I am learning the ropes and I fear for ballsing up a grimoire pickup...

Grimalkin

Looking for people who are playing this on PC. My Steam ID is Cyanide Fuse.

I only got it yesterday so I am learning the ropes and I fear for ballsing up a grimoire pickup...

It's safe to just jump in, especially on Easy. I ran Easy until I learned all the map layouts, then went to Normal to gear up and am now doing Hards. The community doesn't get demanding until Hard. You better know what's up in Hard and above. I still go back to Easy/Normal sometimes and I always ask the group if they have done it before and if someone says no I be sure to explain things to them - good spots on the map, grim/tome locs, party strategy, general game info that's easily missed. The more people that understand the game the better it is for everyone.

27 hours into the game now and I love it more and more. Honestly the first 10 hours were the hardest. Once you start getting better gear and move up into the difficulties where everyone knows how to play the game got easier. And I've never had a run with an exploiter in all my 27 hours. Maybe it's because I'm not yet to Nightmare and Cataclysm.

My dwarf main has these sweet dual flare pistols. They share the same mechanic as the Bright Wizard. I do wish we could swap weapons a little more as I prefer the crossbow for long range sniping but normally the waywatcher or soldier has a good accurate ranged weapon so I guess it's not my concern.

studyguy

Not sure why the EXTRA ZOOM IN trait even exists in this game.
There's literally no instance ever where double zoom would help out with these maps.
Waste of a trait slot on weapons imo

It's safe to just jump in, especially on Easy. I ran Easy until I learned all the map layouts, then went to Normal to gear up and am now doing Hards. The community doesn't get demanding until Hard. You better know what's up in Hard and above. I still go back to Easy/Normal sometimes and I always ask the group if they have done it before and if someone says no I be sure to explain things to them - good spots on the map, grim/tome locs, party strategy, general game info that's easily missed. The more people that understand the game the better it is for everyone.

27 hours into the game now and I love it more and more. Honestly the first 10 hours were the hardest. Once you start getting better gear and move up into the difficulties where everyone knows how to play the game got easier. And I've never had a run with an exploiter in all my 27 hours. Maybe it's because I'm not yet to Nightmare and Cataclysm.

My dwarf main has these sweet dual flare pistols. They share the same mechanic as the Bright Wizard. I do wish we could swap weapons a little more as I prefer the crossbow for long range sniping but normally the waywatcher or soldier has a good accurate ranged weapon so I guess it's not my concern.

I really need to learn the maps and find the tomes / grimoires.

I feel useless as two of us have been playing on normal but aren't doing brilliantly. I don't know whether to blame the AI or us to be honest! I can see why the first so many hours are the toughest because of gear, though.

For example the Black Powder level is a nuisance (picking up 8 barrels and dumping them off). It just goes to **** when only two characters are doing anything of note.

How do you deal with the Rat Ogre? I dodge a lot but he still manages to smack me around. I try to lure him so the other team mate can shoot and slice at him but he seems to take so much before dying. That is normal; I dread to think of the higher difficulties.

-MD-

Patch 1.0.2
Changelog:
Feature Changes
- Added Regiment Name Tags (based on Steam groups).
- Matchmaking now times out if host idles for too long.
- Tweaked enemy spawning on Wheat & Chaff.
- Tweaked chat text colours.
- Disabled tagging of dead enemies.
- Added a setting to disable aim assist while using a controller.
- Added player info during spectator cam

Bug Fixes
- Fixed an audio related crash.
- Fixed several level exploits.
- Fixed navmesh issues on many levels.
- Fixed minor collision and z-fighting issues on most levels.
- Fixed an issue causing bots to get stuck at drops.
- Fixed an issue causing Ratling Gunners to track players through walls causing bots to infinite take cover and not progress.
- Fixed a bug where players could jump out of moving elevators.
- Fixed a crash when packmaster grabbed a player who was healing.
- Fixed a crash related to the dialogue system.
- Fixed a crash related to the hud system.
- Fixed a bug where shield would flip during attack combo with hammer & shield.
- Fixed a bug with hammer & axe animation.
- Fixed a bug where the loading icon could get stuck during gameplay.
- Fixed a case of enemies “moonwalking”.
- Player outlines now properly apply to hats/weapons/attachments.
- Fixed several localization errors.
- Fixed several spelling & grammar mistakes.
- Fixed a collision error with certain rocks in Engines of War.
- Fixed certain trinket textures.
- Fixed a bug where certain effects would be permanently visible for clients who join during a game.
- Fixed a rotational issue with beam staff.
- Fixed callouts of visible enemies using player movement director rather than view direction for line of sight checks.
- Fixed Stormvermin sometimes being labeled as “Commander” in kill log.
- Fixed missing sound for beam staff beam explosions.
- Fixed VOIP not transmitting during loading screens if you have Push to Talk enabled but wasn’t pushing to talk.
- Reworked level end logic for wagons to avoid several cases where the level would not end when users had entered closed and opened and exited the wagons.

Bot AI Fixes:
- Solved a number of cases that could result in bots chasing after seemingly undetected special skaven.
- Solved a number of cases where bots would get stuck and not defend themselves
- Made bots heal themselves if they have the lowest hp, a heal item and there are heal items to spare.
- Disabled behaviour where bots choose to close to melee distance with packmasters and gutter runners until they’ve grabbed a player.
- Fixed an issue where bots would not find any cover points if pinned up against a wall by a ratling gunner.
- Bots are now a lot more cautious about friendly fire at higher difficulties.
- Fixed an issue that was causing bots to sometimes not engage special skaven disabling an ally.
- Fixed an issue that was causing bots to sometimes not rescue a disabled or knocked down player.
- Bots with lower health now get higher priority to healing items than other bots if close enough.
- Made bots prioritize attacking special skaven attacking the group before trying to revive (not rat ogres).
- Bots will disengage if possible if the players pass a one way drop to avoid getting left behind and pinned down by special skaven.
- Bots try to spread out among different covers as much as possible when under fire from ratling guns to avoid all getting pinned down when possible.
- Fixed situation where bots would hesitate whether to heal with medkits or not.
- Improved bot pathfinding over drops.

Performance Changes:
- Added option to set max amount of CPU cores in launcher. This is a fallback for users that experience issues with CPU overheating/overload. Do not change this value unless you are experiencing overheating/overload issues!
- Optimized movement collision detection for staggering enemies.
- Optimized movement collision detection for spawning skaven.
- Parallelized AI path finding.
- Optimized enemy movement on server.
- UI optimizations.
- Achievement optimizations.
- Matchmaking optimizations.
- Lua table function optimizations.
- Horde audio code optimizations.
- Level volume optimizations.
- Optimized world updates.
- Entity extension optimizations.
- Optimized explosion hit checks.

Daheza

Picked this up over the weekend after watching Giant Bomb play it. Having a lot of fun so far and the lower level difficulties are quite challenging. Looking forward to playing more of it.

Stockholm, Sweden – November 11, 2015 – Independent developer Fatshark today revealed that since its launch on Steam, Humble Store, Greenman Gaming, and Gamersgate, Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide has sold over 300,000 copies in just over two weeks. To celebrate this Fatshark has now revealed the first downloadable content pack for Vermintide – Sigmar’s Blessing will be available for free to all players on December 3rd.

The free DLC will introduce a number of new features including player control of what loot is dropped in-game and a new altar in the Inn, that provides ways of sacrificing existing loot to improve players arsenal. In addition to this, the DLC will include completely new traits added to the loot tables and new, unique weapon drops in the “red” loot class for each of the 40 weapon types in Vermintide. Each red weapon features a set trait combination, taking top tier gameplay to a new level.

For a small indie team like this, these sales are pretty great!

You can check out the full announcement here

They sound like they really listened to the community.

Top Bottom