• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Maybe I'm just having a clash of familiarity. This game reminds me so so much like BF2, but in BF2 the air vehicles were a threat to be feared.
I dunno, I guess I was just expecting the title vehicle would be a little more front and center. In BF2, a team has to work together to take down a plane/helicopter. You don't really have to in Warhawk.

Don't get me wrong, I may be complaining, but it only because of the Warhawk stuff. Everything else in the game is excellently balanced and awesome.

ndiicm

DrEvil said:
Mwhaha that was awesomely fun. My airstrike which killed like 8 people, which spawned "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

haha, I love this game.

lol. I was like what the fuck, was that our team or theirs that was hit by that? Glad it was theirs! Thou shalt not camp on zones unless you are a professional :)

Those last two zone games were niiiice.

spwolf

fistfulofmetal said:
There must be something I'm missing, because evading missiles is just beyond my comprehension. I try doing loops while boosting, tried making sharp turns, nothing shakes the missiles off except the chaff.
I think lock-on as whole is overpowered. A dude with an RPG shouldn't be able to take on a Warhawk as easily as they can.

well firist you have chaff, then 2nd you have pro controls that make it relativly easy to dodge missile, unless they are really close...

it is really not that hard, at all. just practice more :)

Core407

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Maybe I'm just having a clash of familiarity. This game reminds me so so much like BF2, but in BF2 the air vehicles were a threat to be feared.
I dunno, I guess I was just expecting the title vehicle would be a little more front and center. In BF2, a team has to work together to take down a plane/helicopter. You don't really have to in Warhawk.

Don't get me wrong, I may be complaining, but it only because of the Warhawk stuff. Everything else in the game is excellently balanced and awesome.

Everything is balanced pretty well. The game reminds me of Halo 2 MP but with all the things I wanted them to change. Basically no fall damage for vehicles, very little fall damage for on foot movement too.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
fistfulofmetal said:
There must be something I'm missing, because evading missiles is just beyond my comprehension. I try doing loops while boosting, tried making sharp turns, nothing shakes the missiles off except the chaff.
I think lock-on as whole is overpowered. A dude with an RPG shouldn't be able to take on a Warhawk as easily as they can.

The trick is to rapidly change directions. Doing loops and sharp turns is no use.

Basically... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlpGtZK5Y2Y (first dribbling in the vid)

spwolf

fistfulofmetal said:
Thing is, I fly with pro flight on, so I don't get any of the auto loop de loops. It's a catch 22, really.

just learn it, when you get lock, move left, right, left, right, left right, hold sticks for 1 sec for one side... you will hear stronger "beep" when missiles are not locked... once you get it once, you will know how to do it again...

of course, it is far, far from 100% effective, but it is pretty good enough... you need to pickup chaff all the time anyway...

fistfulofmetal said:

in battlefield it was no where near as much fun flying as it is in this game.

DemonSwordsman said:
in battlefield it was no where near as much fun flying as it is in this game.

Ehhh, not sure if I agree. At least for me, that is. I had a joystick back then, so I had a ball corkscrewing through the sky with the utmost control.

I'd like to play a dogfight match where we can only use machine guns. I've always been partial to close quarters dogfighting.

fistfulofmetal said:
Ehhh, not sure if I agree. At least for me, that is. I had a joystick back then, so I had a ball corkscrewing through the sky with the utmost control.

I'd like to play a dogfight match where we can only use machine guns. I've always been partial to close quarters dogfighting.

well i dunno with a joystick, but with a keyboard and mouse its not so great.

Kalren

Great game guys.

GAF has a lot of solid players and I was pretty glad to get a chance to play with some of you. It'll be interesting if we can manage to get futher organized and begin having matches within GAF and with outside clans.

PSN: Xostas

calder

I just crashed out of GAF2, but it was likely for the best. Red had already capped our flag and had 2 tanks rolling into our base like 10 seconds later, it wasn't looking good tactically or strategically. ;)

Oh, and sorry for the 2+ really dumb TKs. I normally have little or no negative points, but I couldnt stop running over my teammates or throwing a grenade into a lightpost to have it hit me in the face and kill another teammate. ;P

calder

If it's empty now it probably crashed, I was in it 5 min ago but had it lock up and there was at least a dozen gaffers in there.

Kalren

I had crashed as well, which why I came to post :)

I was getting an error trying to log onto the PSN network, did everyone get that error too? I tried doing a connection test but that didn't solve it so I just gave up and turned my system off.

PSN: Xostas

spwolf

p.s. lowest scored part of warhawk was "replay value".... and I just checked some clan members, and some had RECORDED (means most of it wasnt recorded due to stats down) 20+ hrs of playing :p

mintylurb

calder said:
If it's empty now it probably crashed, I was in it 5 min ago but had it lock up and there was at least a dozen gaffers in there.
Ya, my first crash and I must say it was a rather jarring experience. I've never had a console game lock up on me like that.

Oh, and I'm done dealing with bt headsets. both jabra and plantronics keep dropping connections. It's maddening. Looks like I'll have to go back to my socom headset. ;/

User 406

Banned
Some fantastic games on GAF #2 guys! Too bad that network error cut us out on that close zones match in the last few seconds. :p

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
"Your rank is too high to join this game"

I dunno whether i should be pissed or happy about this. :lol

Loudninja

Sea Manky said:
Some fantastic games on GAF #2 guys! Too bad that network error cut us out on that close zones match in the last few seconds. :p

I know, when you are doing pretty good, it kind of makes you mad

diddlyD

Banned
Insomniac are really a huge bunch of !@#$!@@.

Danger Zone FUCKING BULLSHIT is possibly the most stupid game design decision i've ever witnessed. Especially when many of the maps have main roads leaving the initial base that lead RIGHT INTO A FUCKING DANGER ZONE. FUCKING PUT A WALL OR SOMETHING TO LET ME KNOW ITS A DANGER ZONE YOU JOTOS. NO JUST LET PEOPLE DRIVE FULL SPEED INTO IT AND DIE BEFORE BEING ABLE TO TURN AROUND....

yeah its really pissing me off. its to the point where i fear random invisible danger zones more than the enemy.

EDIT - whatever they're called, i was in rant mode if you couldn't tell :lol

Loudninja

diddlyD said:

Danger Zone FUCKING BULLSHIT is possibly the most stupid game design decision i've ever witnessed. Especially when many of the maps have main roads leaving the initial base that lead RIGHT INTO A FUCKING DANGER ZONE. FUCKING PUT A WALL OR SOMETHING TO LET ME KNOW ITS A DANGER ZONE YOU JOTOS. NO JUST LET PEOPLE DRIVE FULL SPEED INTO IT AND DIE BEFORE BEING ABLE TO TURN AROUND....

yeah its really pissing me off. its to the point where i fear random invisible danger zones more than the enemy.

I doa agree with this point, it would be also cool if we coudl fly under water!

Core407

Banned
diddlyD said:

What. Danger Zone makes perfect sense. You don't have to follow the roads. You can slide off 300ft high hill tops and take little to no fall damage. Stop using the roads so much. Vehicles don't take fall damage either so taking a huge jump off a canyon side into the land below is encouraged. On top of that, you can manipulate the car in mid-air too.

Server got dcc'ed again. :(

Edit: Never mind, I guess I misunderstood you. Why don't you just look at the map?

lunlunqq

diddlyD said:

:lol :lol :lol

S. L.

diddlyD said:

TWILIGHT ZONE!

Well, I just got Warhawk and really am liking it. The only problem I ran into is that I wasn't able to get into a ranked server, it kept saying "Server is Full" even though it showed it wasn't. Is that a common problem?
my PSN is monkyofdoom, if there is a GAF clan I would love to be in it:D

fistfulofmetal said:

You just need to practice your flight skills.

I've had no end of pricks in Warhawks gunning me down while on foot, just as I've had skilled pilots take off before my RPG makes a lock.

I suck at flight in this game, so I stick to ground based combat and it's great.

Although with the designs of some of the stages, I wish they would have put boats or hovercraft in there. Getting stuck on an island with no way off blows.

Agent X

diddlyD said:

Insomniac really needs to get on the ball and fix this before their reputation goes down the toilet.

On a similar note, I'm still wondering why Capcom hasn't announced a Castlevania game for the PS3 yet.

Core407

Banned
Use the boost to elude rockets. Can be done in many ways, but I suggest timing it so that the rocket is closing in on you and then pull some spins while boosting. Also, use the environment to avoid attacks. A lot of times if you're near some kind of obstruction (building, mountainside, etc), you can just fly by it so cause the rockets to run int o the obstacle.

Use ProFlight. It kicks so much ass.

Incog should come out with some kind of stunt mode. :D

Is anyone going to be hosting a game for tonight?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Agent X said:
Insomniac really needs to get on the ball and fix this before their reputation goes down the toilet.

On a similar note, I'm still wondering why Capcom hasn't announced a Castlevania game for the PS3 yet.

Nothing about these Zones need fixing, they are highlighted on the radar map and very visible / easy to avoid once you've learned the map.

It's only on foot that they are an issue as you can fly into them without a problem, and I'd rather have these zones than some BS invisible wall or boxed in levels.

Core407

Banned
Vennt said:
Nothing about these Zones need fixing, they are highlighted on the radar map and very visible / easy to avoid once you've learned the map.

It's only on foot that they are an issue as you can fly into them without a problem, and I'd rather have these zones than some BS invisible wall or boxed in levels.

It went over your head. :)

darkressurection said:
Well, I just got Warhawk and really am liking it. The only problem I ran into is that I wasn't able to get into a ranked server, it kept saying "Server is Full" even though it showed it wasn't. Is that a common problem?
my PSN is monkyofdoom, if there is a GAF clan I would love to be in it:D
Anyone know about this problem?

diddlyD said:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1a_ikfUico

Raist

Banned
Nice couple of games on GAF#2

So how went the meeting overall ? Joined late, only one server up, and a few players. Were there more folks when it begun ?

I joined an SCEE serv after GAF2 went down. Man that was pretty terrible zones game. I don't know wtf was going on on my team, but all zones were taken by the other team in like 5 minutes and it never moved <_<

I also saw TTP in there :p

Top Bottom