• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario: Master of Disguise (DS), out tomorrow on NA's Wii U VC

blamite

Drill Dozer is definitely a contender for that title.

It sucks that Nintendo never did an original Mario platformer on the GBA, and they made up for it in the worst way with NSMB on the DS.

To me, the lack of an original Mario platformer is almost entirely balanced out by how great Mario vs. Donkey Kong was. It's a shame what happened to that series later on.

Drill Dozer is definitely a contender for that title.

It sucks that Nintendo never did an original Mario platformer on the GBA, and they made up for it in the worst way with NSMB on the DS.

As far as I remember, World-e and bonus stages in Yoshi's Island were basically a part of a "test run" to determine if the team is ready to create a brand new 2D Mario platformer.

Commo

Banned
I don't understand the hate for Master of Disguise. It's a platformer, which is what we needed after all of the WarioWare titles that came before its release. It's also better than Shake It!/The Shake Dimension. It is essentially Wario Land 5. The only gripes I have seen in this thread is about the difficulty. The game wasn't even that difficult.

MrBadger

The thing that truly ruins Master of Disguise is how you have to draw little shapes with the Stylus to change outfits. It's too finicky. If it let you do it with a button, it'd be a fine game. But I suppose back in 2007 they were still trying to justify the touch screen as something other than a place for the map to go in games that just don't need it. Like oh my god there's a boss towards the end that's a race where you have to rapidly change outfits to beat the other character to the end and I failed so many times because Wario wouldn't change into the thing I needed him to be

But I did finish this game and I do enjoy it. Bosses are fun, narrative is nice and the villains are pretty cool. The music is also awesome so the rest of my post is just gonna be links to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szby_3IkA4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1QFa4JEwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPUlLS-6Yc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXdwILAOMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpr8cdNSk3s

792.jpg

250px-Adventure_On_Soccer_Island_Coverart.jpg

This is a good contender for that title.

Yes, seriously

Dunno what surprises me more, the fact that this exists or the fact it's a decent platformer

maxcriden

I don't even have to bother looking it up and I'm betting it's like Krisalis Software's Soccer Kid or Domark Software's Marko.

Unsure what those games are like, but here's an older post about the game that has me interested in checking it out:

oh damnnnnnnn I want this so bad

and I totes have the game

motherfucking GO GO BECKHAM ADVENTURE ON SOCCER ISLAND for the Gameboy Advance (2D platformer)

tumblr_m52us5nXlV1r7u9b0o1_500.gif

250px-Adventure_On_Soccer_Island_Coverart.jpg

I love this game. It's like "you know what was missing from Yoshi's Island? BECKHAM!"

no.. seriously, look at the title screen:

BIv5smM.jpg

look at this realistic representation of this HUNK of a man:

gfs_9546_1_4.jpg

The gameplay basically consisted of beckham running and jumping around while using a soccer ball as a weapon on enemies and as a means to collect coins and different collectables.

pVkh15C.png

there was even an overworld map:

JmYBBHw.png

and at the end of each level you had to shoot the ball into a hoop and get a goal, which was sometimes tricky

RZFhswY.png

AND when you beat the game you unlocked special images like these

k I made that last part up

but seriously this is the definition of a game everyone expected to be terrible ended up being great.

the movement was fast but tight. The enemies were interesting, the graphics were beautiful on that small screen and the music was funky and tropical. You even got extra enjoyment out of the fact that thy built this crazy lore with random characters and monsters that had nothing to do with Beckham being a real person in the real world, but at the same time of course they did. It's like chibi space jam, even tho it never recognizes Beckham as being real or anything more than what is presented in this game.. which is also kinda great.

I actually got it as a gift from my uncle, who lived in spain and germany for a while and just picked it up randomly along with a copy of SM Advance. It was pretty great to find out a few years later that this game is actually well liked on the internet.

It got crazy praise by critics but sadly (tho understandably) it ended up only being released in Europe. It's one of my all time favorite GBA games to be honest, specially cause it reminds me of Soccer Kid for the Amiga

Marow

I don't understand the hate for Master of Disguise. It's a platformer, which is what we needed after all of the WarioWare titles that came before its release. It's also better than Shake It!/The Shake Dimension. It is essentially Wario Land 5. The only gripes I have seen in this thread is about the difficulty. The game wasn't even that difficult.
I haven't played it, but seen plenty of videos. How is it essentially Wario Land 5? It just seems to be minigames scattered in an overworld.

Lijik

The game is okay. I really dont get people calling it better than any of the Wario Lands, the only thing it has going for it are the boss battles which can be a chore due to the finnicky touch screen stuff.

The biggest issue I remember having was they stuck to their tv theme so hard that every stage was padded out to be at least 30 minutes. Some levels arent that long and you spend 15-20 minutes over the course of it tapping through text boxes

Commo

Banned
I haven't played it, but seen plenty of videos. How is it essentially Wario Land 5? It just seems to be minigames scattered in an overworld.

What?!? Are you sure you didn't accidentally look at a WarioWare video when looking for gameplay of Master of Disguise?

Here is gameplay footage of Master of Disguise and tell me how it is a minigame compilation-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvOJfeD8C8I

^That's definitely a Mario-esque platformer.

Marow

What?!? Are you sure you didn't accidentally look at a WarioWare video when looking for gameplay of Master of Disguise?

Here is gameplay footage of Master of Disguise and tell me how it is a minigame compilation-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvOJfeD8C8I

^That's definitely a Mario-esque platformer.
I... sorry, I don't know what to comment on except that it looks utterly mediocre and not even close to Mario-esque. It's a slow-moving puzzle game with minigames sprinkled about that doesn't really seem to have much action at all. I honestly don't know what you see that I don't.

It looks nothing like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68t39WC53Ak

Richie

Disguise is better than 4.

I would not call 4 anything more than "ok".

I may buy this simply because it would be fantastic for Miiverse.

Such a boring lifeless game. Only thing worse is 4.

Did it hurt when you guys had your good taste extirpated? Wario Land 4 is phenomenal!

Should have chosen the great WarioWare D.I.Y. instead.

I loved that game, but the lack of online interactions is going to affect its VC version tremendously.

966dbb89f86f612fcb58a4dde6385c38df88ba63e170c5c076699b6afd288390.jpg

I have a real hard time believing this claim. In my eyes it's equivalent to championing Yoshi's New Island over the much more polished and inventive Wooly World (and after seeing that Master of Disguise gameplay video, I apologize to New Island).

I'll concede that the music doesn't seem half bad tho.

Blues1990

I actually never played Master of Disguise, as I could never track down a copy, even on it's original release date.

Is it decent?

leroidys

I didn't find it that bad when I originally played it. Sometimes the touch recognition sucked, but I wouldn't say it was a terrible game.
Yeah. Its nowhere near as bad as its reputation, but it's certainly not great... Weird choice.

I just beat earlier this year!
I really enjoyed it. A little weird and creepy.
I think Wario was suffering the Junk Sickness and kept falling in and out of illusion on the nod. OR, since he travels through the medium of TV, MoD may be way more Killer7 than what's comfortable.
...And there was this sprite animation at the end that freaked me out.

Oh, and Wario is funny. "You try'n ta read my mind? YOU'LL GET NOTHING!"

Richie

Oh, and Wario is funny. "You try'n ta read my mind? YOU'LL GET NOTHING!"

That -is- pretty funny...Damnit, against my better judgment, my Wario-lovin' heart is starting to feel curious. Mediocre gameplay I find easier to forgive if the script is consistently entertaining...

It's not TERRIBLE, just average in a kinda Kirby Squeak Squad way, just a so so by the numbers platformer. On the plus side, it's pretty long for a handheld platformer, I remember it took me 11 hours to finish it according to my 3ds activity log.

Top Bottom