• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner: New Batman Arkham game due in 2013 - rumored not developed by Rocksteady.

Solo

Spike

What if it's not made by Rocksteady because it's the 2D 3DS game I've dreamed about.

Exploration of 2D Metroid.
Stealth of Mark of the Ninja.
Combat of... well, Arkham Asylum/City, but adapted to work in 2D.

Why would you do this to me? Now, anything short of this will be a letdown for me.

Thanks alot...
:(

KissVibes

Banned
Not having Rocksteady develop this game is fantastic news. It's always good to bring in new blood to keep series fresh and more importantly it gives Rocksteady the freedom to branch out and work on new and exciting projects instead of straight continuing the Arkham formula. It's kinda like with Netherrealm, we know they can make kick-ass fighting games but why not give them a few years to make something completely different and see if you can't build two great IPs from a veteran studio?

Just let the new guys do the silver age game, and let rocksteady do arkham three. Now arkham three is going to feel wildly different from the first two, fuck that. New devs new line of games.

JDSN

Banned
Im kinda pleased at this news, as long as the new studio has some Rocksteady blood on it. Maybe Monolith?

I'd love to actually see an Arkham game that uses the same painterly visual style from the Arkham Asylum graphic novel. Anyone else? It would be so damn cool.

I loved Arkham Asylum and loathed Arkham City.

I preferred the story(felt tighter) and pacing(slower and more mysterious) of AA.

Arkham City just felt really sloppy to me. If they are making another game hopefully it goes back to the first games formula.

City was a goddamn mess. Asylum was perfection. More of everything =/= better, Rocksteady. AA was a 9.5 type of game. AC? A 6.5 or 7.0.

I completely agree. gamers are open-world crazy but it doesn't work all the time.

More of something is awesome, but here it just felt like they threw in "padding". All those riddler icons looked daunting as fuck. I have yet to finish the game.

edit: lmao spark making the new batman game. oh well. At least batman was done justice prior to this.

Ahasverus

On this week's episode of IW on GameTraielrs, Marcus says he heard the new Batman game is being developed by Spark. Yes, that Spark.

2363807_o.gif

The best new series this generation is being closed by one of the worst studios around.

Fuck me.

Ahasverus

I can't believe it. This is activision levels of stupidity.
It's ok tu put the game on capable hands, it doesn't HAVE to be Rocksteady, but we are talking about a z tier developer making closure to a AAAAAAAAAAAAAA franchise.

Is this real life?

abadguy

Banned
And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise.

Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

I wasn't familiar with the Spark name before, but that's what I found on google:
http://www.sparkunlimited.com/projects.html

...and if you're actually talking about these guys, then I'm now officially disinterested in this game until proven wrong.

S1kkZ

well, lost planet 3 looks ok (btw: what happened to that game? capcom hasnt shown it for over 7 months and its out in 3 months.)

i still think its going to be an next-gen compilation with some new features.

Mononoke

Banned
I said this in the other thread. But my biggest issue with Arkham City was how rushed/ all over the place the story was. The game was a lot of fun, but the script was kind of terrible IMO.

So I fear this game is being pushed out too quickly, and will suffer a similar fate. Plus now it's not being made by rocksteady. Just seems like a quick cash crab.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Arkham City looked amazing.

Personally I would like a "Gotham City" Batman, but I would expect that for a next-gen title, because it would also lead to a big shift in the game's design.

My guess is on next-gen, this will be the first "successful" episode-based title. The base game itself will have Gotham city as a whole, and will be a bit like a movie. Then every X weeks, a new episode is available where "something" happens, as if it was the TV show.

edit: That rumor is wrong, AFAIK.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BOOLSHIT!

I didn't make Arkham City my 100th Platinum with 100% done, just for them to release a turd

Super Pissed!

suaveric

Did Rocksteady decide not to make the next game? I find it very odd that they would leave so many hints and hooks for a third game in Arkham City and then choose to not make that game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Batman developed by Spark? Are they serious? :lol Come on WB, I know you're much better than this!

ElRenoRaven

Oh shit. Not Rocksteady. If so then no buy. The history of Batman games were not good until they took it on. So I don't have faith in anyone but them when it comes to Batman games. More so if the rumors of Spark are true. It'll be a huge turd if they get their hands on it.

Batman being developed by Spark is really disappointing. Yet when it was rumored that they were working on Battlefront 3 I was really excited and I knew darn well who they were and their reputation, I just didn't care.

Seriously, how the heck did we make it through an entire console generation without a new Battlefront?

Top Bottom