• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner: New Batman Arkham game due in 2013 - rumored not developed by Rocksteady.

SykoTech

As crazy as that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rumor was, I really wish it was true. Always been a fan of the Turtles and having a new show to watch just makes me want a TMNT game even more.

But alas, their fate is in the hands of Activision.

Back in January Warner snagged up some domain names.

arkhamuniverse.com (Arkham Universe)
batmanarkahmuniverse.com (Batman Arkham Universe)
batmanarkhamarises.com (Batman Arkham Arises)
batmanarkhambegins.com (Batman Arkham Begins)
batmanarkhamdarkknight.com (Batman Arkham Dark Knight)
batmanarkhamknight.com (Batman Arkham Knight)
batmanarkhamlegend.com (Batman Arkham Legend)
batmanarkhamlegends.com (Batman Arkham Legends)
batmanarkhamnight.com (Batman Arkham Night)
batmanarkhamorigins.com (Batman Arkham Origins)
batmanarkhamstories.com (Batman Arkham Stories)
darkknightarkham.com (Dark Knight Arkham)
dcarkhamuniverse.com (DC Arkham Universe)
dcarkhamverse.com (DC Arkhamverse)
thearkhamuniverse.com (The Arkham Universe)

Origins/Arises/Begins all make it sound like the game could be a prequel. It would solve the issue of
Joker being dead

fallagin

Huh, so is rocksteady gonna be working on silver era batman instead? Or are they just gonna leave batman alone for now?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You know what, I'm ok with this. Asylum was one of my top 5 games this gen, I got bored of City within four hours of playing, so a fresh take sounds good.

VG247 own sources confirm that Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

ib10BrEaJciuNI.gif

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Not made by rocksteady??

This is horrible news.

I don't think so. Rocksteady have laid the groundwork. Any competent dev should be able to keep the series going.

I wonder if Rocksteady are working on another (silver age) Batman title?

ALSO THERE'S THAT LITTLE MAN OF STEEL MOVIE COMING OUT WINK WINK.

dummydecoy

Not familiar with this silver era batman, why should I be excited about it, except for the retro costume?
-Nevermind, just read wikipedia. Now it sounds awesome!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I didn't have the greatest of faith that AA was going to be any good when it was first announced. I mean all Rocksteady had done before then was a Urban Chaos game.

I'm going to withhold judgement until I see more, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Time to throw the infamous line:
"And that's why we can't have nice things".

Wrong.

Tell me what's so bad about a linear Batman game?
A focus on story and more detailed areas instead of a pointless city would be great.
The open world does it a disservice in my opinion.

I swear, some of you people act like a scripted game is the worst thing ever...

Salsa

yeah, no

no rocksteady? nononono

im glad they're doing their own thing and it is actually what I wanted, but another Batman game that is actually part of the Arkham series? another developer trying to recreate the fighting system? oh jeez

Jarmel

Banned
I will never understand people saying AA is better than AC. Never. The open-world design was beautiful in that the player could really feel like Batman in their actions and the scale helped to make it a playbox of fun.

Looks like Warner Bros. Montreal could be working on it...

Warner Bros. announcing "big game" in "grand fashion" in 2-3 months

Warner Bros. Games Montreal is working on an unannounced PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 title, according to the LinkedIn profile of senior level artist Ketan Lad. A tweet from senior producer Ben Mattes, posted last week, states that the studio’s new game will be revealed in two to three months. One would think that these two projects are likely connected.

As noted in Mattes’ message, Warner Montreal’s game “is going to be big”. There are apparently plans to announce it “in grand fashion”.

Could Warner Bros. Games Montreal be working on the next Batman: Arkham entry? Rumor has it that Rocksteady Studios isn’t involved, but Warner Bros. Montreal does have experience with the series. The studio ported Arkham City over to the Wii U last year.

I will never understand people saying AA is better than AC. Never. The open-world design was beautiful in that the player could really feel like Batman in their actions and the scale helped to make it a playbox of fun.

Yep. This is the chief purpose of any Batman game, imo.

Amir0x

Banned
Man why can't companies just put certain titles on ice until they're ready to use the talent that brought the series where it is?

I found Arkham City to be a step back from Arkham Asylum, but it's clear that Rocksteady is where the vision and talent is. I wonder if publishers realize they devalue the brand the more iterations you bring out, especially if said iteration is a weak entry.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Man why can't companies just put certain titles on ice until they're ready to use the talent that brought the series where it is?

I found Arkham City to be a step back from Arkham Asylum, but it's clear that Rocksteady is where the vision and talent is. I wonder if publishers realize they devalue the brand the more iterations you bring out, especially if said iteration is a weak entry.

Some publishers are often afraid that the fans will move to something else and wont return to the series if they don't release something every year/two years.

But then when the new developer fail and fans start to not buy the games because they the yearly rehashes are bad, the publishers kill the series and blame the fans.

Amir0x

Banned
Some publishers are often afraid that the fans will move to something else and wont return to the series if they don't release something every year/two years.

But then when the new developer fail and fans start to not buy the games because they the yearly rehashes are bad, the publishers kill the series and blame the fans.

they need to learn about foreplay or something

tease the fans, make them really salivate over something... and when you finally bring it out, even if it's much later than people expect, they'll buy it in droves.

I would rather see them make a game more like City than Asylum. Arkham City was nearly everything that I wanted in a Batman game, and I'd like the series to continue in that direction. Though, I'm more excited to see what Rocksteady is making than a new Arkham game by some other developer.

Busty

Banned
But will it release for Wii U..?

I have a feeling that WB Games may have already committed various resources to publishing the game on the WiiU given that Arkham Asylum was a launch window game.

If not? It could be the most damning WiiU game cancellation yet.

Top Bottom