• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner: New Batman Arkham game due in 2013 - rumored not developed by Rocksteady.

Acheteedo

I like the Harry Potter idea, Acheteedo.

It just makes sense to me, if there's one developer who can make an IP suddenly work in video games it's Rocksteady. Warner are sitting on a massive property with untapped potential with Potter, they should surely be aggressively pursuing it.

graboids

If the new developer just takes the current foundation by Rocksteady they have a very solid starting point for making something fun and interesting.

It's the same situation that Gears Judgment is in. Groundwork is done, and now another developer can take over and make a sequel that doesn't push the boundaries but is still entertaining.

I hope that happens, but at the same time I am not really interested in Gears Judgement so far. Pushing the boundaries is what keep these games interesting, when I see Gears Judgement I think "I should just replay Gears 3".

anyway, I do hope the new Batman game is good, I loved AA & AC.

KevinCow

Banned
Asylum and City are both 5/5 games for me.

City had better combat, boss battles, graphics, side missions, and gliding around the city was fun as hell.

Asylum had better level design and collectibles, and a more focused story instead of "Let's see how many Batman villains we can shove in here!"

Hopefully the next game can do a little bit of both.

I'm surprised by all the Arkham City hate in this thread, I thought it was as good if not better than the first game.

It is one of the most fun games ever, and my most played game last year. It's story was pretty fucking weak though, so I get some of the hate. I don't think they need to downscale the world to AA levels, it was fucking awesome flying around the city as Batman. They just need to string it all together better.

You guys should really read the thread.

Rocksteady are working on ANOTHER, non-Arkham ___ Batman game.

I read the OP, ain't nobody got time to read a whole thread.

Although actually I had heard this previously, but I think it was a rumor when I heard it.

VG247 own sources confirm that Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

Suggests it's not a main game, i.e. Rocksteady is probably doing PS4/720 batman game. Vita game incoming, yes!
Probably a 3DS or iOS game.

andthebeatgoeson

gifs_131.gif

Source, please?

Asylum and City are both 5/5 games for me.

City had better combat, boss battles, graphics, side missions, and gliding around the city was fun as hell.

Asylum had better level design and collectibles, and a more focused story instead of "Let's see how many Batman villains we can shove in here!"

Hopefully the next game can do a little bit of both.

I can agree with this. I loved them both. I would be willing to here more about a batman that had a good blend of both indoor environments and outdoor. Maybe less villains but it was destined to be a big smorgasbord of villains. They had to followup with all those people. It's fanservice and probably what pushed them to those heights. I'm not sure they could develop a game based on a few villains. If they pick the wrong two and give you a crappy story, they have nothing to fall back on. Batman is now an event game, so they'll throw everything in there. Make a big ass city and only develop 2 face or Ras? Pfft, if it bombs, they'll blame the decision. Put everybody in there and piss off a few diehards and you still make a ton of money. Maybe in 2018 after yearly releases will they decrease the number of villains. Not now.

Another thing: gliding is pretty cool so we are stuck with that. I was disappointed to get to the top of buildings in Asylum and not be able to do some cool gliding.

My predicition: it will be open world, large environments, lots of gliding, mostly fan service plot.

I like that this has devolved into ranking games in the franchise, like an FF thread, except there are only two games to rank.

Also, I am really sorry to read that Rocksteady isn't doing this.

My guess is the Silver Age title rumored awhile ago has become a Full Justice League/DC Universe game developed by Rocksteady and The Warner Montreal Studio is developing Arkahm 3.

Rocksteady not developing?

My hope for the game has fallen tremendously.

EDIT: That's what I get for not reading the whole thread a second time.
At least they're making a Batman game. Fuck yeah, baby!

Azih

I loved both Asylum and City. It's pretty amazing that Rocksteady could use the same basic gameplay to tell two very different kinds of Batman story.

Catwoman writing was crazy bad in City though.

They really should retire Arkham also. Lots of stories to be told in different directions.

Hindle

Banned
Considering the two year cycle between AA and AC, it seems likely.

Id like a return to Arkam Asylum personally in terms of level design. I didn't like the open world of AC.

Messi

Yay more Arkham

Nay to some other than Rocksteady.

I still want a Catwoman game in this series or Poision Ivy

AA was awesome 100% the game, AC didn't replicate the same excitement I had playing AA, still haven't gone back and played Quinn's DLC just don't care...maybe a new team can breathe some life into Arkham franchise...

Sober

No Rocksteady? I kinda want to see who's in charge before making a decision.

If they do a Gotham City game though, it would be pointless unless I could roam around it as Bruce Wayne, or hell, I'd want to see missions where you have to be Bruce Wayne in the day time. Possibly sneaking around offices to plant bugs or look for files or whatnot before doing nighttime Batman things.

Aru

Some people thought that the sidequests were boring in AC ? I found them pretty entertaining and better than most sidequests in similar games. I usually barely do any subquest in most games because most of them are boring. But I enjoyed AC's sidequests a lot.

KevinCow

Banned
Why would they bother developping a niche 3DS game ? Instead they should focus on the AAA multiplatform Batman sequel that will make them money.

Why do you think these things are mutually exclusive?

See: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate.

SykoTech

Sounds like the LBP3 rumor. Another developer makes the third installment (Sumo/???), while the original developer (Mm/Rocksteady) moves on to something new.

I'm okay with that setup as long as they find a good studio to take the helm. LBP seems in good hands at least. Here's hoping Arkham will be too.

No Rocksteady? I kinda want to see who's in charge before making a decision.

If they do a Gotham City game though, it would be pointless unless I could roam around it as Bruce Wayne, or hell, I'd want to see missions where you have to be Bruce Wayne in the day time. Possibly sneaking around offices to plant bugs or look for files or whatnot before doing nighttime Batman things.

Sorry, but that sounds really quite boring.

Derrick01

Banned
Sure, why not?

Personally I could go for a scripted more linear Batman game.

What? nononononono

The best part about being batman is the open parts where you can glide around and drop in on a group of people, or the larger arena-like predator rooms. No tight linear areas and no scripted bullshit.

Top Bottom