• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner: New Batman Arkham game due in 2013 - rumored not developed by Rocksteady.

Into

I imagine they gave it to another team to just craft another Batman game on current gen console while Rocksteady is working on next gen project, most likely the real successor to Arkham City.

The blueprint is already laid out, combat has been fleshed out and the new developer "just" has to develop new assets and put the whole thing together.

I am hyped regardless, both Asylum and City were great, and they may as well make it a trilogy of "Arkham", then next gen they can move away from that concept.

Eideka

Banned
I think that was the biggest misstep made with AC. Once you go open world, any sense of narrative urgency goes out the window.

They tried to do that with the Protocol 10 but the pacing was still off. Batman AA was perfect in that regard.

KevinCow

Banned
What if it's not made by Rocksteady because it's the 2D 3DS game I've dreamed about.

Exploration of 2D Metroid.
Stealth of Mark of the Ninja.
Combat of... well, Arkham Asylum/City, but adapted to work in 2D.

Solo

I imagine they gave it to another team to just craft another Batman game on current gen console while Rocksteady is working on next gen project, most likely the real successor to Arkham City.

It won't be a successor in any kind story sense. The game is allegedly going to be set in the Silver Age and deal with Batman's first run in with The Joker (which allows for Hamill to be retired).

Have to agree with others here, I found AC more...convoluted and not as "concise" as AA. Arkham Asylum felt more focused and much better paced than Arkham City.

AC was still a fun game, it improved the combat and had more characters, just didn't quite reach the greatness of Arkham Asylum IMO.

Eideka

Banned
What if it's not made by Rocksteady because it's the 2D 3DS game I've dreamed about.

Exploration of 2D Metroid.
Stealth of Mark of the Ninja.
Combat of... well, Arkham Asylum/City, but adapted to work in 2D.

No thanks, give us a real Batman game.

Solo

I'll be there day one for RS's next Batman game, but I'll be skeptical about Eidos' Arkham ___ until I see it. A new dev team and a short dev cycle doesn't inspire a ton of confidence for me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise.

freshprincedance1mllm5ojif.gif

VG247 own sources confirm that Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

colinfarrell3p6ca.gif

Maybe Rocksteady are working on that rumoured Justice League game?

UgbbE.gif

Eideka

Banned
Define a "real Batman game"? Surely a real Batman game is a game starring Batman.
I meant a quality Batman game in the same vein as Batman AA/AC. Not some 3DS crap.

I'm pretty sure they are developping a good AAA game. Rocksteady may be working on the Silver Age Batman game.

I'm fine with that.

amardilo

I would love another Arkham game but I'm not too sure about it not being developed by Rocksteady.

But it could be OK if features like the combat style are carried over and Warner puts a good studio on it, maybe an internal studio like NetherRealm Studios (if they are big enough to work on 2 projects at once) or Monolith Productions

Solo

Narrative urgency is pointless and doesn't make the game any better.

You're right about it not making a game better, at least not in a direct way. But without some kind of narrative push, I inevitably get bored as hell with aimless wandering through the world (see: every Bethesda game after 10 hours), which affects my opinion of the game negatively. So in an indirect way, it does make the game better to me.

KevinCow

Banned
I meant a quality Batman game in the same vein as Batman AA/AC. Not some 3DS crap.

I'm pretty sure they are developping a good AAA game. Rocksteady may be working on the Silver Age Batman game.

I'm fine with that.

Why would a 3DS game be crap.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be 3DS. Vita, Xbla, PSN, whatever. Just a 2D interpretation of the Arkham gameplay would be awesome.

And if they're handing it off to a different developer, I'd rather it be a spinoff and not the next sequel, because it would suck if they screwed up and we had a crappy game hurting the legacy of the main series.

If Rocksteady isn't the developer for this game there's a good chance it might fall short of the first 2 titles. The question is will the next game be an open world Gotham or back to a closed set location like Arkham Asylum.

If it were me I'd try and combine the two. If you make an open world there should be plenty of locations you can go inside with intricate design. Then you could have the best of both games.

They're going to tarnish the Arkham reputation if they give this game to anyone other than Rocksteady.

Are there any rumors on what Rocksteady is working on?

graboids

I'm sure the game will be fine, just because its not Rocksteady doesn't mean it will be bad. I mean there is a long history of other developers making great Batman based games....... right?

Solo

AC had an incoherent plot. It jumped from one end to the next trying to tie in as many characters into the plot as it could And the end story was just stupid.

Thank you. It was straight up trash from a plot perspective. AA wasn't anything to write home about in that regard either, but it at least had a functional, coherent, serviceable plot. AC was gobbly gook.

Not that I would want this, but I thought the next Batman was going to be 60s themed.

Batman or Avengers, it's sad to see Rocksteady now blocked in as "the comic book game company".

I would like to see them do something original while they're hot.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wiki:

"On March 22, 2010, Warner Bros. Interactive is the latest videogame company to open a studio in Quebec. Current president Martin Tremblay will lead the new Montreal studio, which will be known as WB Games Montreal. This new studio will gradually grow to include more than 300 people by the end of 2015. "

" Martin Tremblay told us that the new Montreal studio will focus on creating games based on the DC Comics license"

Best possible candidate for Arkham 3.

I'm sure the game will be fine, just because its not Rocksteady doesn't mean it will be bad. I mean there is a long history of other developers making great Batman based games....... right?

If the new developer just takes the current foundation by Rocksteady they have a very solid starting point for making something fun and interesting.

It's the same situation that Gears Judgment is in. Groundwork is done, and now another developer can take over and make a sequel that doesn't push the boundaries but is still entertaining.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
If Rocksteady isn't the developer for this game there's a good chance it might fall short of the first 2 titles. The question is will the next game be an open world Gotham or back to a closed set location like Arkham Asylum.

If it were me I'd try and combine the two. If you make an open world there should be plenty of locations you can go inside with intricate design. Then you could have the best of both games.

People always point to the "open world" as the change from Asylum to City but really its the interiors that changed. They're both just a set of interiors connected by an outside hub. City's hub was larger, but not nearly as different as people make it out to be.

Sentenza

AC had an incoherent plot. It jumped from one end to the next trying to tie in as many characters into the plot as it could And the end story was just stupid.
I already addressed what I think about the game's plot, conceded it counts as a (minor) flaw for the sequel and explained how much I care about it (which is "very little").

I also addressed why that hardly matters, when you have a game that is simply better than the previous one in every single aspect.
We are talking about a sequel that offered at the same time: more content, better content, more diversified content.

Plot notwithstanding, the actual mechanics and open city environment alone made City way better and more enjoyable than Asylum, which got a bit tiresome towards the end. I hope whoever is developing the follow-up builds on City rather than regresses back down toward Asylum.

Doomrider

Wiki:

"On March 22, 2010, Warner Bros. Interactive is the latest videogame company to open a studio in Quebec. Current president Martin Tremblay will lead the new Montreal studio, which will be known as WB Games Montreal. This new studio will gradually grow to include more than 300 people by the end of 2015. "

" Martin Tremblay told us that the new Montreal studio will focus on creating games based on the DC Comics license"

Best possible candidate for Arkham 3.

Yes, Nirolak suggested as much in the previous page. A port and a Looney Tunes beta don't exactly inspire trust, though.

Also, they're looking for a creative director, according to the site. A second one, or do they not even have one?

dummydecoy

Still bummed about Catwoman being able to jump off of 15-story buildings and land on her feet in City. What bullshit explanation did they have for that?

Eideka

Banned
whynotboth.gif

Are we handheld underling scum not deserving of the caped crusader in a format that is not LEGO?

A 3DS game would be a waste of time, a AAA Batman 3 game needs to happen and Warner will surely choose a competent studio to do it. No worries.

smuf

I'm surprised by all the Arkham City hate in this thread, I thought it was as good if not better than the first game.

Top Bottom