• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner: New Batman Arkham game due in 2013 - rumored not developed by Rocksteady.

nordique

I love the Arkham franchise (I won't lie, I enjoyed City more than Asylum overall, though both were excellent games)

and I didn't think there was an instalment coming this year at all, so label me surprised and happy to hear such news :)

nordique

1tJqD.gif

Ah, I missed this point. No Rocksteady eh? I hope the game still lives up to good quality.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise.
Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

Snowblind Studio or Monolith Productions then (or both) Traveller's Tales just make Lego crap so it is not them.

Rocksteady better make Blackbat game if they are not making Batman.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
“And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise. So all in all, we expect Warners to post another very strong year in 2013. And with a little luck, the year should be as good or maybe even a little bit better than 2012.”

VG247 own sources confirm that Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

qYrNO.gif

Ok, but give Batman a rest after this one. Get Rocksteady on a Harry Potter game or something...

... seriously.

Or you know... they have proved themselves with a huge IP, let them do there own thing now. Why do they have to be forced onto a WB IP for the sake of it?

Endo Punk

Can't say I'm on board without Rocksteady. The fact they are not the developer this game just sounds like millking the formula without pushing the franchise forward.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For the moment I'd take this with a grain of salt - it's very rare for a publisher on a financial call to talk in terms of calendar rather than financial years (and somehow I doubt it's gonna be out by the end of Q4 2013 in early summer).

Warner Bros.' fiscal year ends December 31.

S1kkZ

maybe its just a compilation for the next-gen consoles? just port the pc version in 1080p with the physx stuff and a handfull of new challenge rooms/costumes.
in the op, it doesnt say new arkham game, it says the next arkham game.

i just cant believe they push out arkham 3 this year.

Suggests it's not a main game, i.e. Rocksteady is probably doing PS4/720 batman game. Vita game incoming, yes!
Probably a 3DS or iOS game.

This doesn't seem totally crazy to me. Just look at the domains they registered -- Arkham Legends, Arkham Stories, etc. Those remind me of how the GTA games were named on the PSP.

Or, more likely, I'm just engaging in very wishful thinking, and this will be a console spin-off.

overcast

I would like for Rocksteady to be involved for sure. Loved the hell out of the first 2 games. Consider me in the City>Asylum camp.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Weren't those studios combined with lots of losses last year, or am I imagining that?

Yes, WB made a cut/layoffs in Seattle studios (Monolith Productions, Snowblind Studios) last year.

this is why I think WB will make them work on Arkham cash-in sequels.

I would like for Rocksteady to be involved for sure. Loved the hell out of the first 2 games. Consider me in the City>Asylum camp.

Asylum is the superior game really,with better pacing,better bosses and better story.

AA= The Dark Knight, AC=Batman & Robin.

I'll reserve excitement for when the developer is confirmed.

And people honestly want the next game to regress to Asylum level rather than refine and expand on what City did? The only aspects of Asylum that weren't surpassed in City were the Scarecrow encounters (the hallucinations, not the giant-Scarecrow sections) and the pacing. AA isn't even a true Metroidvania-style exploration game as there's only ever on path to take; that path just happens to involve backtracking.

AA's story had more promise throughout, but that had such a cop-out finale/final boss...I can't even go back to AA after being able to do the stuff you can in AC.

Tookay

I'll reserve excitement for when the developer is confirmed.

And people honestly want the next game to regress to Asylum level rather than refine and expand on what City did? The only aspects of Asylum that weren't surpassed in City were the Scarecrow encounters (the hallucinations, not the giant-Scarecrow sections) and the pacing. AA isn't even a true Metroidvania-style exploration game as there's only ever on path to take; that path just happens to involve backtracking.

AA's story had more promise throughout, but that had such a cop-out finale/final boss...I can't even go back to AA after being able to do the stuff you can in AC.

There's a pretty general path you're supposed to take in Metroid games too, ignoring the sequence-breaking.

The reason why I prefer Asylum is just that it's a little more focused in its game design and its plot, and ties the two together. City sort of bounces all over the place and the result is a bit of whiplash.

That said, I do think mechanically, AC is much better. And it has a better final boss; that said, Asylulm's story had a lot more potential that it pissed away with its silly Titan Joker climax, and I'm still better about that.

B.O.O.M

I was a bit a underwhelmed by the previous game to be perfectly honest. Lots of positives but things like traversal were a bit..boring.

The rumor saying this is not made by Rocksteady makes me a bit nervous as well

If the threequel is anything other than Batman: Gotham City then they're doing it wrong.

Edit -
VG247 own sources confirm that Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

Wait, whaaaaaaat?! This is news to be very concerned about.

Arooguy

Yes, WB made a cut/layoffs in Seattle studios (Monolith Productions, Snowblind Studios) last year.

this is why I think WB will make them work on Arkham cash-in sequels.

I think WB Montreal might be working on this. They developed the Wii U version of Arkham City.

After two games isn't this just like copy and paste? Whoever is doing the next one just needs to be told "I don't care what you do as long as it plays like these two Batman games."

erawsd

Not Rocksteady? A year of development time? Can't possibly turn out good; I hope that it does, but the chances are slim.

Rocksteady must be working on something else then. I hope the Batman Arkham series´quality stay the same or improve. I hope the new studio does not fuck it up.

Top Bottom