• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Meier

is the dev cycle really long? I think its reasonable. There's nothing to fall back on.

Well, considering they used to put out about a game a year, 1.5 years at this point when the tech will likely be a bit behind the times compared to other modern games does feel pretty lengthy to me.

Sloane

Banned
What is interesting is that if they get 1.25 million dollars, they're more interested in expanding the game first rather than making the game available to more people. That doesn't sound great to me...
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but how is that a bad thing? I'd rather have a bigger and better Game on one platform than a smaller one on a dozen.

I agree it sounds a bit ambitious but the budget still seems low.

I just think it's lazy to ask the public to fund games that are just retreads of past projects. It's a safety net, nothing more.

I'd rather they use their own money and make something that reminds us that it's 2012. Which is how (game) companies are supposed to work in my opinion.

They don't have the money, that's the point. They tried to get publishers to fund this game - they refused. This isn't a complex system.

jAyFTJAuW4iAB.JPG

that's holyshitish. TS should just take the excess 2.6 million and get Wasteland2 kickstarted.

duckroll

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but how is that a bad thing? I'd rather have a bigger and better Game on one platform than a smaller one on a dozen.

I agree it sounds a bit ambitious but the budget still seems low.

I feel making the game available to Mac users for example, should be more important than adding another 5 locations on the world map. That's not to say I don't want a bigger game, but the game at the base level (1 million dollars) should be designed to be entirely satisfactory. If it is, then having it available to more people is more important than adding more content at that point, since you already have a complete game.

Hrm. I'm really wary given inXile's track record. On one hand, on the other hand, tradition...

I guess I'll put in 15. A small risk for a worthy endeavor, but I really wish I had more faith in inXile.

bengraven

Awesome, so Shafer broke the 3million barrier! Grats on him!

Well look at the 3 most publicized kickstarters: An oldschool tactical shooter, an oldschool adventure, an oldschool top down rpg.

*shrugs*

In all fucking fairness, those three genres haven't been popular in over a decade. Why not let them get a second chance?

Yes, maybe they could do something even more innovative, but I'd rather play a classic 80s style RPG than a post apocalyptic cooking romance flight simulator with a rear viewing perspective.

Violet_0

Banned
I'd rather they use their own money and make something that reminds us that it's 2012. Which is how (game) companies are supposed to work in my opinion.

that's is the exact opposite of what they're trying to do

they use Kickstarter to fund the games that they want to develope because publishers won't

and there are plenty of people out there who are willing to support them

bengraven

I'd fund the shit out of that.

I still think my main concern, that being inXile's track record is highly questionable and I have a strong feeling most of the funders are going to come away disappointed.

In all fairness, they're doing a style of RPG with a much smaller budget than their recent games and less graphics intensive. Their focus can be on a good game with great story (and they have proven writers on board) instead of on Gears of War with Swords.

Owensboro

Well look at the 3 most publicized kickstarters: An oldschool tactical shooter, an oldschool adventure, an oldschool top down rpg.

*shrugs*

You're surprised that old people who have money like old types of games that aren't made anymore? (yes, I'm including myself in this "old" category). I think you're missing the point of this kickstarter in the first place. It's not about making some whiz bang fancy new game that never existed in the first place. It's about bringing back a type of game that a lot of people like, but would never get green lit today by a publisher because it won't sell millions upon millions of copies or be sequalized.

Sloane

Banned
I feel making the game available to Mac users for example, should be more important than adding another 5 locations on the world map. That's not to say I don't want a bigger game, but the game at the base level (1 million dollars) should be designed to be entirely satisfactory. If it is, then having it available to more people is more important than adding more content at that point, since you already have a complete game.

Yeah, I mean I'm not against more platforms but considering the budget seems very low at a million or so, I'd prefer they spend additional money on making the game bigger than on ports. If we were talking about 5 million I'd agree that additional money should make the game accessable to more people.

duckroll

Yeah, I mean I'm not against more platforms but considering the budget seems very low at a million or so, I'd prefer they spend additional money on making the game bigger than on ports.

I'm sure different people have different opinions on this. Ultimately it's not a big issue as long as we actually get the game in the first place. :D

I just think it's lazy to ask the public to fund games that are just retreads of past projects. It's a safety net, nothing more.

Why don't you go play a Bioware game or something?

Wildesy

For what it's worth, probably not much, I'd estimate the sales of the original Fallout games to be well over 200,000 in the last few years (going by it has outsold TW2 on GOG, and is also on Steam which generally outsells GOG anyway). Not sure how many of those people he can reach out to, but there's a market out there buying similar-ish games, I hope.

Nah, it's a fair point. I think I'm probably underestimating just how much desire there is for another game in the mould of the Fallout games. I'm probably just a bit more concerned about how many people associate those Fallout games with Wasteland.

I mean if this was another Icewind Dale game or PS:T, I've got no doubt they'd get the funding and more. Those games hold significant sway on their own though, something I personally don't believe Wasteland does. Hopefully just the type of game it is, is enough to pull it through though and hopefully that proves to publishers/developers there is a market for this type of game.

Again though, is 1 million enough to make a fully fledged isometric RPG in today's market? People are going to be expecting this to be up to the standards of Fallout 1 and 2, but even those games had significantly larger budgets and they were made over a decade ago.

gave $15

SO want this!!!

And wow it's picking up steam, I really hope it stays and gets to the minimum the want. (ideally $1.5 million so we get the best game possible)

83 grand now. 30 grand since I posted in the thread to begin

I'm really interested to see where they take a story that is apocalyptic and isn't all brotherhood of steel+supermutant centric. And a apocalyptic game where "moral choices" don't/will play heavily; and mechanically perks+whatnot.

A non fallout game :p

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think this all makes sense, I don't see how people are comparing this to the DFA. RPG's take a lot of content and while you can make a quick and dirty adventure game an RPG of this type needs CONTENT, with like, big letters.

Anyways, I gave it 50.

Is there any chance backers will get the Steam version of the game or has it been decided they'll only get the DRM free version of the game?

Just curious.

duckroll

Is there any chance backers will get the Steam version of the game or has it been decided they'll only get the DRM free version of the game?

Just curious.

It's on the FAQ at the bottom of the page:

Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?

Absolutely. The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods.

Top Bottom