• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Leaks on Twitch

Bit hard to tell from this short of a trailer, but that looks like the opposite of what I find appealing.

Now, if we could play as the police, tracking these kind if anarchic little gits down and arresting them, that I'd be interested in! Assuming it'd be as non American cops so murdering them would be a fail state mind you.

I did not like the first game, which ran like shit upon release (does it still run like shit?). No interest in a second. I'm done with Ubisoft's AAA efforts. Wake me up when there's a new 2D Rayman.

I mean, it's an interesting direction to go in after the complete "shot self in the foot" execution they did for a straight vigilante story.

Anarchy, fascism, technology, that's what I got. Young punks. So the bespectacled kid is gonna be shooting people...? Multiple protagonists?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just so much shit, like if I didn't know what the premise was I would have no idea what this game is about. Granted it's a lil ad, gotta wait till E3, though I have little faith in Ubi's game design.

Teeth

You could actually try to make hacking more involved and still save a combat system of sorts involving things like redirecting conflicts and solving puzzles but again that's probably asking too much.

And the first game was mostly a TPS so they wouldn't want to alienate fans either. Still I just hope for more hacking. And the fact that this first mass market trailer shows no direct violence is interesting.

This game's lineage is to be Ubisoft's answer to GTA. That's the market. The hacker thing is just an angle to differentiate itself.

As such, the game started out like this:
1) Urban open world
2) Guns and shooting
3) Driving

And then everything else was framed around that.

Ubisoft is looking to sell in excess of 8 million copies and has structured the budget around that. The upper bound of games of this nature is literally 50 million copies, as demonstrated by GTA5. They want a piece of that market and are likely looking to hit an upper bound of 15 million copies if they can.

So think of it this way: write out a list of games where you control a character in 3rd person view where there is no direct combat. Pretty small list right? Now narrow that list down by games that either have or expect to sell greater than 5 million copies. You will have a list of zero games. Ubisoft is not going to make a game with no direct combat.

There are no straight puzzle games where you control an avatar that sell that high. Zero. You don't greenlight a game of this magnitude that structures its pillars on 1) exploration 2) Combat 3) Driving and then just wipe out one of the pillars.

I didn't even care about the hacking in watch dogs. What appealed to me wss the vigilante aspect. I've wanted a game like that for a long time. It fulfilled certain things, but fell short. What's fucked up I feel is that tbone was directly working with a cop and was more of a hero than Aiden.

cripterion

Looks to have much more character/identity than the previous one, isn't that what most people were complaining about?
If you "cringe" at this, I guess you felt the same with Infamous Second Son, right?

dex3108

Nothing too interesting in that ad but at least we got drones confirmed and gangs also that first person parkour hint. I will wait to see full reveal trailer tonight.

Looks to have much more character/identity than the previous one, isn't that what most people were complaining about?
If you "cringe" at this, I guess you felt the same with Infamous Second Son, right?
Actually delsin got shit on too for his design and attitude on here. Wonder what the age demographic for GAF is tho. See stuff like this protag and delsin all the time in real life ,

The Second Son trailers showed you a lot of story and characters. Most of the cringe is coming from Ubisoft trying to make hacker culture into this super cartoonish hip thing.

dex3108

The Second Son trailers showed you a lot of story and characters. Most of the cringe is coming from Ubisoft trying to make hacker culture into this super cartoonish hip thing.

This is not trailer it is 30 seconds ad and those can be stupid. Real trailer will be out in 9 hours.

Henkka

Banned
I hope they do this whole thing at E3 where Ubi is doing a presentation then everything goes dark and BOOM. Screen is "hacked" tand you can hear people with mics, say "what's happening:?!?"

A video appears front and center with a masked person speaking in a disguised voice to several cuts of footage of random protest, etc accompanied a static hiss for each cut. A message relating to taking back the system or whatever the premise of this game is.

Then a trailer for watch dogs2 rolls.

FuCK yOU!, DOnt d0 TH1S!!

Am I the only one who thinks this would be pretty fun? :p

The negativity here is kinda tiresome. It's just a game.

cripterion

The Second Son trailers showed you a lot of story and characters.

I'm not saying it's a good trailer (it's really short in the first place) but people are already all up in arms about the main character. It looks better than this

aiden-pearce.jpg

First protagonist looked like a bored out hobo. He had no chops at all.

Zukkoyaki

God forbid people have differing opinions and don't all think that this commercial/CG trailer was the best thing ever.

I'll pay you twice what Crossing Eden is paying you if you stick to your opinion instead of criticising other's.

Opinions are great, especially differing ones.

But look around this thread and the other Watch Dogs threads. I'm not the only one who has noticed an abnormal amount of hate toward this series. But pointing it out isn't going to get us anywhere. The gameplay will be shown and some will change their minds, others won't. C'est la vie.

grimmiq

With how big of a hypocritical monster Aiden was..I'm going to assume there's going to be a Lizard Squad set of missions where you're heroically taking down the networks of evil corporations, but really just fucking over consumers.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh so cringe is why everybody hates this? Come on, games have always been super cringey depictions of 'yoof culture'. Was there a similar reaction to the cringe-to-the-max NFS 'storylines'?

But look around this thread and other other Watch Dogs threads. I'm not the only one who has noticed an abnormal amount of hate toward this series.
I haven't seen a disproportionate amount, but I guess I don't really care about that. Can't be worse than a Sonic or Mighty No.9 thread, though.

xorx

Banned
I thought it looked ok.

Its definitely better than the "no personality" thing that the first game had.

jesus christ that thread about gamers being negative was right, a whole 29 seconds of barely anything and the pitchforks are out. I didn't even care to play the first one but I aint gonna judge when I still don't know shit.

Jhn

I just don't understand what they're doing.
It's like they looked at how poorly received Aiden was as a character, sat down around a table and said "Ok gang, how can we possibly make the next protagonist less appealing?"
Maybe I'm just not in the target demographic anymore. That's fine I guess.

For context, I also never played Infamous:SS because of very similar circumstances. I have no interest in these angsty hipster-youth protagonists for whatever reason.

RPGam3r

But look around this thread and other other Watch Dogs threads. I'm not the only one who has noticed an abnormal amount of hate toward this series.

Not just this game, people "cringe" at a 30 sec tv spot. I on the other cringe at the immediate negative reaction by a lot of this place. Tiny little spot basically told some here what the entire game was about... sure.

Lucifon

Any mirrors? Twitter and YouTube link don't work.

Edit - Twitter one worked now. Meh doesn't really show anything, all CG stuff. Not sure where the hate comes from. Hopefully see some gameplay today.

Asriel

I just don't understand what they're doing.
It's like they looked at how poorly received Aiden was as a character, sat down around a table and said "Ok gang, how can we possibly make the next protagonist less appealing?"
Maybe I'm just not in the target demographic anymore. That's fine I guess.

For context, I also never played Infamous:SS because of very similar circumstances. I have no interest in these angsty hipster-youth protagonists for whatever reason.

We barely even know a thing about the protagonist, lol.

The projection of Ubisoft hate is so hilariously transparent.

xrnzaaas

I didn't like what I saw (and heard) in that clip, but we'll see when a proper trailer & gameplay show up. I really hope they'll make some advancements with the parkour system like the trailer suggested.

Alienfan

Eh I liked it - a little bit cringe, maybe, but at least the tone is different from most other AAA games, taking a lot of inspiration from urban youth culture, which so very few games do. A huge criticism with the first Watch_Dogs was it took itself too seriously, so I'm not surprised to see them taking a different approach.

Syinn

Neo Member
Very little to go on. The very thought of the first game puts me off, see how an actual reveal goes.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
At work so haven't watched this yet. But it sounds terrible. Then again, I never picked up watchdogs, because although the first few demos showed promise, the full game didn't seem to capture what I wanted out of it.

Hopefully this is just a bad CG trailer and the actual game reveal is somewhat impressive.

So bad... it's like the target audience are wannabe hipster hackers... aka no one.

Fixed, and it sounds like me. But I'm not THAT kind of hipster. Still I've honestly seen worse Ubi trailers. I'd honestly love a movie like this, gang/edge climate but with hacking.

Alienfan

Yea just leaves a bad taste. Do something original. But I guess they can't. Horrible trailer.

To me, Mr Robot's tone was far more in line with the first Watch_Dogs and guess which, out of the two, came out first? Just saying I wouldn't label Watch_Dogs as being unoriginal because of Mr Robot.

Top Bottom