• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Leaks on Twitch

Alienous

You haven't been paying attention if you think this game doesn't receive more hate than most other titles.

Though I will say you are probably the only one in this thread who was able to articulate why they didn't like it so for that I give you props.

I'll pay you twice what Crossing Eden is paying you if you stick to your opinion instead of criticising other's.

Menitta

It definitely will have more "personality" than the first one.

Actually, I can see like a hacking gang wars type of plot. Just an idea.

I hope they do this whole thing at E3 where Ubi is doing a presentation then everything goes dark and BOOM. Screen is "hacked" tand you can hear people with mics, say "what's happening:?!?"

A video appears front and center with a masked person speaking in a disguised voice to several cuts of footage of random protest, etc accompanied a static hiss for each cut. A message relating to taking back the system or whatever the premise of this game is.

Then a trailer for watch dogs2 rolls.

FuCK yOU!, DOnt d0 TH1S!!

OH MY GOD that shit was the worst.

There's some straight face guy on stage talking about how technology is going to take over the world and we're all screwed due to diseases and the loss of oil, and I'm just sitting there thinking "you guys know this is a video game conference right?"

The E3 presentation of this is gonna be some shit

fake screwed up videos, meme man in the crowd, "DONT B3L13V3 DA SYSTEM1" flashes on screen, Aisha Taylor pretending this is all unplanned...lawd

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well it's clearly an ad, so not sure why people are getting so up in arms. I liked Watch Dogs, was an alright game and the hacking multiplayer was fun. Chill people, its like some of you think Ubisoft is the devil or something.

Stiler

Ugh, that did absolutely nothing for me. It comes off as what some really "out of touch" old people think is "Cool and hip" today.

I was really hoping for a more grounded type of atmosphere. Something more in line with "Mr. Robot" or such which imo would have been faaaaaaaar more appealing for a game in terms of story/atmosphere.

Teeth

The E3 presentation of this is gonna be some shit

fake screwed up videos, meme man in the crowd, "DONT B3L13V3 DA SYSTEM1" flashes on screen, Aisha Taylor pretending this is all unplanned...lawd

Can't wait.

Someone has to pick up the mantle now that Konami is gone.

oti

Banned
At least it's not generic. It's still bad though. And I don't think it matters whether this is Watch Dogs or let's say a new IP by Gearbox, Microsoft or whomever. We'd still make fun of it because its try-hard edginess.

Game could be still good though.

Evilkazzz

Banned
That didn't look too bad.

What's with the fuss? What's wrong with the hipster youth aesthetic?

It's better than whoever Aiden Pierce was supposed to appeal to.

I'm quite suprised there was no violence in this and mostly consisted of kids running away. Could there be little to no direct combat in this game?
Or am I massively over estimating Ubisoft's abilities?

Futurematic

Watch_Dogs is the perfect first pitch by a new writer. It's got hacking and guns, and ripping off Person of Interest (yet the story is so much worse lol, Ubi should really just make a PoI game), and cyberpunk but modern real world, and a discussion of the surveillance state and everything ripped from the headlines, and…

It's a first pitch and they sell it perfectly. And then fall apart under the pressure of actually making the thing. I'm super excited and incredibly wary for the sequel.

Menitta

That didn't look too bad.

What's with the fuss? What's wrong with the hipster youth aesthetic?

It's better than whoever Aiden Pierce was supposed to appeal to.

I'm quite suprised there was no violence in this and mostly consisted of kids running away. Could there be little to no direct combat in this game?

Finally, someone else. Aiden Pierce was a nothing character while also being a piece of shit. It's got an actual tone instead of...nothing. WD1 was a whole lot of nothing really.

MattyG

Banned
Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-14.gif

Not. A. Chance.
But oh, how I wish ;_;

Teeth

No direct combat? What would you actually do in this open world game? Drive to point B and hit X to hack?

Do you think Ubisoft would greenlight a $50 million version of Hacknet?

I think the reason why so many people are being so critical of this ad isn't that people are trying to dislike it, it's that they were hoping (myself included) Ubisoft would see this as an opportunity to take a hard look at the mistakes the first game made, focus on instilling a sense of authenticity and awareness, and build a product that at least attempts to deliver on the promise that Watch Dogs' original concept presented to us. This ad gives off the vibe that the second game will just end up being the same focus tested mess the first game was, albeit directed towards a younger and less cynical crowd. My biggest gripe is it just isn't an effective ad, though. It feels like you could interchange the subject with about anything and it would vaguely resemble any other youth-targeted advertisement on TV right now, from soda commercials to fast food.

I might be in the minority, but to me, the hacker fantasy is about access, in a form that's almost (read: usually/nearly always) voyeuristic and perverse. Yeah, there's also the ideology of freedom, expression, and justice, but at the end of the day that will vary from player to player, as it varies among real-world hackers. Watch Dogs built its hype off of that fantasy, and that's something that hasn't really been explored too heavily in games unless you're a fan of stuff like Uplink or Deus Ex. I think the reason people are reacting so negatively is that people still crave that experience; it was never delivered upon, and it doesn't seem like it'll be delivered upon even in a second iteration. The frustration doesn't come from this being a 30 second ad directed towards teens and 20-somethings, it comes from the fact that even when given a second chance, Ubisoft still seems to be missing the appeal of their own franchise.

Krabboss

It's best practice to expect nothing from a Ubisoft game since they're all largely unsuccessful variations on the same grindfest formula.

PreFire

Yeah, looks like a bad trailer that doesn't explain shit.

I thought they were going to go spray graffiti and ride skateboards at one point.

Let's see if this is the actual trailer lmao

Evilkazzz

Banned
No direct combat? What would you actually do in this open world game? Drive to point B and hit X to hack?

Do you think Ubisoft would greenlight a $50 million version of Hacknet?

You could actually try to make hacking more involved and still have a combat system of sorts involving things like redirecting conflicts and solving puzzles but again that's probably asking too much.

And the first game was mostly a TPS so they wouldn't want to alienate fans either. Still I just hope for more hacking. And the fact that this first mass market trailer shows no direct violence is interesting.

I think the reason why so many people are being so critical of this ad isn't that people are trying to dislike it, it's that they were hoping (myself included) Ubisoft would see this as an opportunity to take a hard look at the mistakes the first game made, focus on instilling a sense of authenticity and awareness, and build a product that at least attempts to deliver on the promise that Watch Dogs' original concept presented to us. This ad gives off the vibe that the second game will just end up being the same focus tested mess the first game was, albeit directed towards a younger and less cynical crowd. My biggest gripe is it just isn't an effective ad, though. It feels like you could interchange the subject with about anything and it would vaguely resemble any other youth-targeted advertisement on TV right now, from soda commercials to fast food.

I might be in the minority, but to me, the hacker fantasy is about access, in a form that's almost (read: usually/nearly always) voyeuristic and perverse. Yeah, there's also the ideology of freedom, expression, and justice, but at the end of the day that will vary from player to player, as it varies among real-world hackers. Watch Dogs built its hype off of that fantasy, and that's something that hasn't really been explored too heavily in games unless you're a fan of stuff like Uplink or Deus Ex. I think the reason people are reacting so negatively is that people still crave that experience; it was never delivered upon, and it doesn't seem like it'll be delivered upon even in a second iteration. The frustration doesn't come from this being a 30 second ad directed towards teens and 20-somethings, it comes from the fact that even when given a second chance, Ubisoft still seems to be missing the appeal of their own franchise.
This is great comment/analysis about this trailer.

TripOpt55

That was kind of a mess. I liked the song though. Still looking forward to seeing the full reveal of this game. I rather liked the original.

At this point they might as well turn Watch Dogs into Hackers the movie if there gonna continue having you hack the entire city and present hacker culture as a hip lifestyle.

Top Bottom