• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Leaks on Twitch

SJRB

Gold Member
...what the fuck was that?

Well, shit. Didn't like the tone/vibe one bit. Looked visually awesome though.

AdanVC

That was...... so awful. Doesn't tell anything really. Kinda looks like an ad for a Smarthphone with the dude showing the phone at the end.

Raziel

This series evolved into a way different thing than I thought it would based on the tech noir ish reveal demo of the first game.

Illucio

Banned
What exactly looks so bad about this trailer

It's CGI, maybe a bit live footage, IDK not sure cause of the quality

But how can you presume this game is crap based on a 30 second trailer with no gameplay

What is the game marketing too? What idea does this trailer without game footage is telling you?

If I told you this game was an entirely different game, would you believe me?

The game's marketing is going for that edgy, we know what teens think and like mindset. It shows clearly that they think this edgy hipster hacker is an actual thing and that modern teen/young adult culture are interested in it because of what? Market research?

It's not that the marketing didn't hit the right market or they could had done something differently. It's that their trying to be "cool" or that they understand what younger people think, like, or want. Trying to market a game that is edgy and dangerous to catch a large interest, which it by itself is uninteresting and tells us that this game is most likely not good because they're resorting to such tactics.

But the fact that the game itself is going for that image itself creates a even larger distaste that they think to make this franchise successful is to make the characters seem edgy and cool. Think The Simpsons and Poochy, a cash out character that was made to be "cool" to relate to current audiences when in actuality the character was terrible and unrelated to it's audience having the show quickly scrapping the character because it risked the show's brand image and quality.

If the game company really wanted to go this route for young tech hackers story they should read up on books like Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. We want a human/realistic approach to these sorts of things, not some glamor shots of how cool something is in some very unrealistic fashion.

edit: relevant again:
276775.jpg

Alienous

How much of the tone of Kasabian could you handle in Assassin's Creed?

This is an attention getter. It's not necessarily the tone of the game. Yes, there will be counter culture tries, Mr Robot knockoffs, and raves of the youth. But I doubt the characters will be thumping their chests much. I imagine it will be closer to Mr Robot with a bunch of misaligned kids with stutter talk trying to "change the system"...which, I can tolerate a lot of since I hang out on NeoGAF.

If it's not the tone of the game my opinion will change as and when that reveals itself.

Until then I can't say I'm a fan. You're acting like I'm advocating for its cancellation.

Also weak NeoGAF barb. You really hamfisted that one together.

ezekial45

Banned
Is this IP actually interesting to anyone?

The last game shipped over 10 million copies, so yeah there is some interest there.

It wasn't perfect, but I do love the modern open-world setting with a focus on hacking. I do hope that this game improves on that. It seems to have more personality and a greater focus on diversity. Which is perfect for San Francisco, which is a place in flux at the moment.

jmaine_ph

I like that ad. That trailer had more personality then the whole first game. I'm excited to see what they show tomorrow.

Is this IP actually interesting to anyone?

Yes and No, I wanted a more stealth cyberpunk game that dealt with topics such like government surveillance by looking at the pros and cons. Instead WD was a third person shooter with the option to change traffic lights.

karasu

How do you even know that's the game's entire tone

It's a goddamn thirty second CGI trailer

Edit: I'm going to leave this topic. I just don't understand people who think like this.

Bye. I'm not sure why you're acting as if you have the moral high ground however. People are allowed to express the negative emotions experienced from watching a commercial.

Zomba13

*ubisoft exec watches Mr robot*

*bursts through doors*

"guys I know what we're making watch dogs 2 about!"

"what?"

"I can't remember I was coked up as fuck but it involved young people and hacking with masks or some shit"

Don't worry, it'll just end up as a boring revenge plot that sometimes has a guy using a phone to hack things like open doors or change traffic lights.

Teeth

That was...... so awful. Doesn't tell anything really. Kinda looks like an ad for a Smarthphone with the dude showing the phone at the end.

It tells quite a bit actually.

The tone has changed to be younger. It's not necessarily a dour revenge story now, it's clearly channeling the Anonymous hacker style with a draw towards progressive or anarchic movement rather than one man vs the world. It shows that Aiden is gone, that it takes place in San Francisco.

Gameplay-wise, it doesn't tell anything (because it's not a gameplay trailer), but storyline and tone-wise it's clearly a shift.

Until then I can't say I'm a fan. You're acting like I'm advocating for its cancellation.

What? Where did you get that from? If we know anything it's that Ubisoft trailers rarely match up to what finally comes out.

And, my joke got at least one laugh.

mrqs

Oh my god you guys. I don't like Ubisoft that much, but i feel bad for them. Some of you can be so damn harsh.

Ennosuke

Never bought the first game, even when I saw the PC version for 6 Euro. I usually don't dislike games, but I have no idea who wants this game.

If you can't tell the difference between youth culture and what Ubisoft executives think youth culture is, there's no help for you.

There's a real "trying to be hip" vibe from the trailer, but you can never trust ads with that.

All judgement held until gameplay.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Really don't get the negativity, that looked great to me, a lot going on. Shameless GTA rip off of course but I don't care since a new GTA comes around once in 7 years.

Top Bottom