• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffdraul

Sure that looks good... if you like riding your motorcycle over saran wrapped streets... personally I think Specular highlighting is taken a bit too far sometimes... nothing in real life is that reflective...

Except, y'know... wet asphalt at night under direct light sources.

Maggots

Banned
Except, y'know... wet asphalt at night under direct light sources.

haha yes... but patches here and there not every square inch of asphalt

EDIT:
gipXzLq

wait... maybe you're right...

Eurogamer preview

Much has been made of a possible “downgrade” in graphical quality when the game is compared to its original E3 2012 showing (when next-gen consoles had yet to be announced and final specs were far from being locked down) but its version of Chicago still easily impresses. Walk its streets at night, when its neon lights reflect on passing cars and in puddles dimpled by raindrops - it's by far Ubisoft's prettiest open-world to date.

farisr

The way this phrase is formulated confirms a downgrade, right?

It's talking about vs the 2012 reveal. Even ubisoft is saying that the ps4 version will not look as good as the 2012 reveal. The real question (for the ps4 footage is) whether there has been a downgrade from e3 2013 or not.

Now it also remains to be seen whether the PC version can match the 2012 version or not, as Ubisoft has said that it should actually look better (which I really doubt).

Sure that looks good... if you like riding your motorcycle over saran wrapped streets... personally I think Specular highlighting is taken a bit too far sometimes... nothing in real life is that reflective...

Actually wet asphalt and streetlights are incredibly reflective, if you live in a rainy climate and drive you would probably know it looks like you are driving on a goddamn smoky mirror..

A lot of things look bad in that photo, but the streets are not one, I'd say.

Mr Swine

Banned
There like 2 different shots though, he has a different expression, the blur and DOF is changed, the angle and shot is not the same and he has a wooden slat or something behind him on the newer one.

It is from the same scene but looks like a different render?

Looks like it has lower res textures also, don't look as crisp as the picture above

As far as watch dogs is concerned, I hope we don't have another Aliens Colonial marines situation, where the week leading up to it kills all hype for the game... the finished product is garbage, and the Wii U version quietly is delayed into cancellation.

I think what happened here is either that first E3 reveal was on a High end PC... or a flat out planned in game cinematic cutscene made to look like gameplay... physics don't take a ton of processing if its all precalculated... really makes you wonder how this stuff happens.

You ever driven in the rain before man? The ground is incredibly reflective.

Maggots

Banned
You ever driven in the rain before man? The ground is incredibly reflective.

What is rain?

no but seriously... All I meant was that it doesn't look like that in real life... you can tell it is a random noise generated spec. texture especially in the left bottom corner... wet asphalt doesn't really look like that... does it work for the game? sure... it gets the point across... besides this is getting way off topic anyway... funny how this one part of my comment gets all the attention...

That physics video does look A LOT better though.. Its definitely closer to the E3 demo now..but there are still many difference..

The dot connextion lighting for instance..in the E3 2012 demo it has individual bulbs with lights..in the tech video it's a flat surface that lights up..

maneil99

Well, this is awesome. PC version as always the best :D

What a useless comment. Then again after you embarrassing yourself with those nvidia revenue charts earlier and using charts with F2P/MMO revenue to push the agenda that PC market is more relevant to 60$ retail game developers, it's to be expected.

Ignore this thread. This game will look superb.

you are on Neogaf with your PS4 right now? Everyone has a PC. It's like saying "The PS4 cost me 2000$ because of the TV and the furniture". PC Gaming developed and now it's plug & play with Steam.

games2.png

Better source
Newzoo_Global_Games_Market_PerSegment_2013E.jpg

Unbiased and fair as always

Faith

Why? It's just a fact that the PC version will look the best and maybe as good as the version shown 2012. And we were talking about the whole revenue and MMOs are almost non-existent on consoles. But that's offtopic anyway.

Tratorn

Why? It's just a fact that the PC version will look the best and maybe as good as the version shown 2012. And we were talking about the whole revenue and MMOs are almost non-existent on consoles. But that's offtopic anyway.

No, not "the" PC-Version. Only for a minority of people. And also not even close to E3 2012 if the video is any indication of the final product.

What a useless comment. Then again after you embarrassing yourself with those nvidia revenue charts earlier and using charts with F2P/MMO revenue to push the agenda that PC market is more relevant to 60$ retail game developers, it's to be expected.

How does that change what he said?

That probably is the pc version the version not possible with weak apus.

GeoGonzo

Faith's comment wasn't useless (if anything it may be a bit premature, but how often is the PC version not the best version?). On the other hand, your comment does seem pretty useless. What was that? A personal attack, trying to dig dirt from previous posts just because someone expresses potential excitement for a version of a game? Seriously, what was that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, not "the" PC-Version. Only for a minority of people. And also not even close to E3 2012 if the video is any indication of the final product.

Attempting to argue semantics is pointless. There is only one PC version of the game so what he said is technically correct; that visual quality will vary depending on the rendering capabilities of the system it's installed on ("You should have said 'can' look the best!") is a moot point as everybody who is aware of what a PC is knows that hardware is superseded on a relatively regular basis. It goes without saying that when people state "The PC version will look the best" they're not referring to literally every single case -- obviously the PS4 version would be preferable to someone who owns said console and a laptop from 2007.

Famassu

How does that change what he said?

That probably is the pc version the version not possible with weak apus.
And yet, at least the other console's "weak" apu puts out graphics that almost put to shame even the original 2012 reveal trailer of Watch_Dogs (and easily any footage shown since).

Funny thing is they changed a lot of the geometry as well compared to the 2012 version.. It looks a lot less detailed..I wonder if the PC version will still retain the level details..?

chadskin

No hands-on demo of Watch_Dogs at PAX East, it seems. Very odd.

PAX East attendees who visit the Watch Dogs area will be treated to a never-before-seen demo of the game.

Meanwhile:

Also in the Ubisoft booth, attendees will get their hands on a demo for The Crew
Attendees will be the first to get hands-on time with Trials Fusion
Fans of Child of Light will have their first opportunity to step into the magical world of Lemuria by playing a new hands-on demo
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Phantoms, the next step in the evolution of Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Online, will be playable on the show floor
The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, the hack ‘n’ slash castle-looting adventure, has opened its gates for all to play and will be letting fans get hands-on time with The Runaway, the latest character to join the quest.
Might & Magic Duel of Champions, the beloved free-to-play PC and Apple iPad® collectible card game, will be playable on PC on the show floor.

Looks good. Don't care if some pixels in the upper right corner aren't in the same position as they were when the game was shown at such an early stage in development.

Love the many mechanics the game seems to have and that whole ''Hack your friend's game'' looks delicious.

julrik

I'm just wondering why the game has gone gold a long time ago, when they could've polished the game up until release.. Even retailers here in Norway have received Watch_dogs weeks ago.

That doesn't look anything like the reveal, it looks like a completely different game. This is really disappointing since the graphics were the thing that hyped me about this game.

Oh well, there will be others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom