• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Is that from the same video as the GIF in the OP is? I feel like the OP is kind of misleading, then, since that GIF you just posted here looks great. At the very least, WAY better than the GIF in the OP implies.

I think I read (the thread is so huge) it's from the exact same video, just a little later on and it's from the same guy who uploaded the original part. He was explaining how it's that one section in the OP where the lighting over the bridge is hugely different.

mephixto

Banned
I never said there was any secret sauce or electronics to be unlocked, much like there was none last gen.

There is no way, based on maturation of tools and drivers that anyone could drag maximum performance from these machines at this early stage ....... never mind the fact that refs had not had time to figure out the best way to utilise the resources at hand.

Based on that fact alone I am certain we shall see better graphics in a few years time than we see now from consoles ........... time will tell ....... see you in a few years time.

I only expect a small increases on IQ or 10% more fps at max from those optimizations.

Go build a PC with X360 specs and try to play at X360 quality.

Sigh, Geras of War 1 Max settings and almost the double pixel count than 360 on a 2006 PC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txzMElDYirw

Why you continue to compare console with pc? Even with the same chip, console not work like pc. Pc are computer, console are games machines. Game machines are always faster to play game, they are projected for this. You think Cerny is an idiot when has designed ps4 putting some piece here & there just hoping to work?

This gen both consoles have PC components and architecture, there is no draconian hardware like last gen. Also some of you guys give too much credit to Cerny God, PS4 and X1 are almost identical they only differ on the memory and the GPU cores, it's like Cerny was building both machines.

The change I don't like about Aiden is the hair coming from under the hat. Originally it looks like he had longer hair so it made sense that it would poof out like that but they chopped it in favor of giving him something closer to the bog standard hero look.

i3JuZEPlpRlNl.png

The change I don't like about Aiden is the hair coming from under the hat. Originally it looks like he had longer hair so it made sense that it would poof out like that but they chopped it in favor of giving him something closer to the bog standard hero look.

Yeah, not a fan of his newer look either.

TyrantII

The only reason people are buying consoles is because of exclusive titles and maybe because they have no idea that they could play 95% of the games on their PC.

There's a bunch of other reasons as well. PC gaming is qualitatively a different flavor of the hobby than just gaming, and people get something else out of it than just gaming.

As for price, consoles and sticky console prices do somewhat subsidize PC gaming. There's always bitching about "lazy ports", but truth be told a lot of those games are games that would never see the light of day without consoles.

Consoles and PC gaming are more symbiotic than conflicted. Both are better off because of each other.

So why the Watch Dogs downgrade? Or why BF4 is running in 900p on the PS4?

Same reason ACM was a mess, or bioshock went through 2 games worth of content before settling on a vision; Poor business plans, development problems, and too many hands in the cookie jar.

I mean, they did delay it, did they not?

Faith

As for price, consoles and sticky console prices do somewhat subsidize PC gaming. There's always bitching about "lazy ports", but truth be told a lot of those games are games that would never see the light of day without consoles.
That's just nonsense. If there were no consoles people would just play on PCs.

It's like saying "without fuel nobody would ever drive a car again". You can't just take the market and subtract something from it. It's way more complex.

TyrantII

Sure, $400 low end PC's dragging down top of the line graphics and games.

A huge market isn't going to spring forth for bleeding edge PC's just because consoles aren't there. Either the market moves to supply demand at that price point, or the market stays small and niche.

Sorry, but that's how it works. Consoles are filling a demand that PC's have a harder time filling currently. Their large installation bases also drive a lot game development.

Does that mean PC gaming would be doomed or disappear? Hell no. But it would shrink the pie considerably and mean less for all one way or another.

It's like saying "without fuel nobody would ever drive a car again". You can't just take the market and subtract something from it. It's way more complex.

No, it's like saying not everyone can afford a Lamborghini just because they're the only ones now making cars. Either a lot less cars get made, or the focus gets put on pumping out Lamborghini manufactured GEO's. Likewise consoles serve a market segment that allows PC's to do and deliver what they do best.

Faith

Sure, $400 low end PC's dragging down top of the line graphics and games.
Sou you are on Neogaf with your PS4 right now? Everyone has a PC. It's like saying "The PS4 cost me 2000$ because of the TV and the furniture". PC Gaming developed and now it's plug & play with Steam.

games2.png

In 2015 it will even overpass all consoles combined.

We should stop talking about this in this thread.

dr_rus

Nah. While it's true they're based on the x86(-64) architecture, they're still fundamentally different to the PC you can throw together yourself. A 8 GB shared memory pool being the most obvious example, while an 8-core CPU is still very rare in most PCs, too.
They're not fundamentally different. They have a UMA memory but beyond that they're mostly the same h/w as in PC. And UMA doesn't do much for a game beyond saving you some copy operations and allowing to fit more data in less RAM - which isn't that big of an advantage because PCs will surpass 8 GB of both system and video RAM next year.
And don't even get me started on that "8-core" Jaguar CPU which runs effectively like a dual core i5.

There certainly is some hidden potential in both XBO and PS4 but it isn't of the same amounts as on PS2 and PS3.

melman101

Sou you are on Neogaf with your PS4 right now? Everyone has a PC. It's like saying "The PS4 cost me 2000$ because of the TV and the furniture". PC Gaming developed and now it's plug & play with Steam.

I just want to add that I do not play any games on my computer. First, it's my work computer. Second it's a Mac (not that that matters). Third, it's not a gaming PC.

So I just game on dedicated hardware. And if it went away, I probably wouldn't game.

------

Anyhow, I'll reserve judgment for Watch_Dogs until it comes out. If it's fun as crap, I don't care how it looks.

TyrantII

/bullshit

Did you even bother looking up that sources' history? They're a PC oriented industry group that publishes favorable marketing materials and runs their own studies and surveys for whoever pays them to do so. They're basically a think tank. That graphic was also paid for by Nvidia, who has no dog in the console fight.

Anyways, believe what you want. Doesn't mean it's right.

There is some irony of it popping up yet again in a thread about shady practices and industry lying. C'est la vie!

Symax

It's like saying "without fuel nobody would ever drive a car again".You can't just take the market and subtract something from it. It's way more complex.

Was this written by two different people? You are clearly subtracting the consoles form the whole market and right after that you are writing down this statement: "You can't just take the market and subtract something from it. It's way more complex." You are just lost in your own ideology.

It's like they took all the character and personality out of his face and just made him another generic, square-jawed action hero.
Yes, i have to agree with this.

It seems to be e general problem with this industry. Most people are mad about female stereotypical characters in games but the sad truth is that mostly every character displayed in multiplat AAA games looks stereotypical and boring.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That is exactly what was said:
m3TXu8Q.jpg

PS4 will look like E3 2013
PC will look better than E3 2012
Didn't anyone think to ask if the PS4 version will look like the 2012 reveal? because they saying there is no downgrade so saying the PC version will look like the 2012 trailer and better too is kinda pointless as they don't think the two trailers are different (or say they're different) and would probably say the same for the nextgen versions
I personally don't think theres much difference anyway and we haven't seen that reveal in a new build to go by.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

games2.png

wait-what-gif.gif

TheCloser

Banned

games2.png

hahaha, joke post right?

Faith

Ok found a better source:

Newzoo_Global_Games_Market_PerSegment_2013E.jpg

MMOs & Social/Casual are also part of the PC market. So we have 43% (all consoles combined) vs. 39% (single platform PC) now.

Nzyme32

MMOs & Social/Casual are also part of the PC market. So we have 43% (all consoles combined) vs. 39% (single platform PC) now.

I was about to say the previous graph is games software revenue that likely includes lots of none-core gaming such as social and mmo. PC gaming is certainly growing quickly year on year, but it is hard to ever see data that isn't just an indication of absolutely everything gaming related.

Steam unfortunately doesn't publish revenue but only the growth of accounts and their use as well as games being published etc. Their business update presentation on youtube does show some pretty impressive figures on growth and their intended future plans though

On topic - do we even know what is being compared anymore? how does anyone know if this is in-game or just pre-rendered. I'd rather wait and take the twitter response for its word than draw circles on everything

Faith

The connection to this thread is: the core PC gaming market is also increasing. Meaning that it's worth for the developers to make a better PC version of their games.

KoopaTheCasual

I didn't know PC gamers float on air and played on magic....

That's the worst analogy I've heard in a long time. Congrats.

any chance you can post these full resolution? it's kind of hard to see IQ differences in a gif. my major concern at this point is the 'softness' of the 1080p high bitrate story trailer, which doesn't look like native 1080p at all.

it could be an accident in creating the video, or it could be how the game looks now. the E3 2013 footage looked native 1080p. if the game isn't native 1080p anymore on PS4, I'm not buying, espescially since they're saying the PS4 version is still the same as the E3 2013 footage. I want people to make noise about this, above any other difference. It'd be nice to get confirmation that the game is still 1080p native, because that story trailer sure as hell didn't look it.

S¡mon

Banned
Can we just close this thread? Nothing's been actually confirmed, unlike what the thread title suggests.

The only thing happening here right now is people getting annoyed and people annoying others.

Nzyme32

S¡mon;103987050 said:
Can we just close this thread? Nothing's been actually confirmed, unlike what the thread title suggests.

The only thing happening here right now is people getting annoyed and people annoying others.

Probably the smartest thing at this point

Dredd97

You are aware that MMO's aren't the sole domain of PC's right?

we are allowed to play them on consoles and these days...

Gestault

games2.png

That's a phenomenal joke post, there.

omonimo

Banned
I only expect a small increases on IQ or 10% more fps at max from those optimizations.

Sigh, Geras of War 1 Max settings and almost the double pixel count than 360 on a 2006 PC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txzMElDYirw

This gen both consoles have PC components and architecture, there is no draconian hardware like last gen. Also some of you guys give too much credit to Cerny God, PS4 and X1 are almost identical they only differ on the memory and the GPU cores, it's like Cerny was building both machines.
So you mean with a simple 32 bit cpu & a 7850 I can have the same specs of the ps4 in a pc? That's enough for me. You are not interested to hear the other opinions & call Cerny God prove how much childish you are. The same Carmack has explained more than a time how faster are the processing graphic in a specific game machines. But continue to think ps4 will never been pushed more because pc reign.

any chance you can post these full resolution? it's kind of hard to see IQ differences in a gif. my major concern at this point is the 'softness' of the 1080p high bitrate story trailer, which doesn't look like native 1080p at all.

it could be an accident in creating the video, or it could be how the game looks now. the E3 2013 footage looked native 1080p. if the game isn't native 1080p anymore on PS4, I'm not buying, espescially since they're saying the PS4 version is still the same as the E3 2013 footage. I want people to make noise about this, above any other difference. It'd be nice to get confirmation that the game is still 1080p native, because that story trailer sure as hell didn't look it.

Here you go:
May 10, 2013
image_watch_dogs-22047-2527_0003.jpg

August 1, 2013
ibkG4un0CtT15f.png

August 21, 2013
ibqa7YOPKUbhNQ.png

March 6, 2014
iPzjhEUXFuny9.png

Edit: The second shot ie: the clearest one out of all of them(besides the original screenshot) was taken from a 1.2gb .mov file.

H6rdc0re

Banned
They're not fundamentally different. They have a UMA memory but beyond that they're mostly the same h/w as in PC. And UMA doesn't do much for a game beyond saving you some copy operations and allowing to fit more data in less RAM - which isn't that big of an advantage because PCs will surpass 8 GB of both system and video RAM next year.
And don't even get me started on that "8-core" Jaguar CPU which runs effectively like a dual core i5.

There certainly is some hidden potential in both XBO and PS4 but it isn't of the same amounts as on PS2 and PS3.

Actually it's more comparable to three Core i5 mobile cores. That's very powerfull for a console. People underestimate how powerfull PC CPUs are these days. Mantle proofs that once draw calls are increased current CPUs are not the bottleneck. Ever seen any PC game use all cores @100% load?

DieH@rd

Banned
Here you go:
May 10, 2013

August 1, 2013
ibkG4un0CtT15f.png

August 21, 2013
ibqa7YOPKUbhNQ.png

March 6, 2014
iPzjhEUXFuny9.png

Edit: The second shot ie: the clearest one out of all of them was taken from a 1.2gb .mov file.

Looks very similar, shame the new footage has such a low bitrate. Color grading/lightning is little different, but that happens sometimes with finalized code.

Actually it's more comparable to three Core i5 mobile cores. That's very powerfull for a console. People underestimate how powerfull PC CPUs are these days. Mantle proofs that once draw calls are increased current CPUs are not the bottleneck. Ever seen any PC game use all cores @100% load?

I'm pretty sure the volatile bit would help too.
Then again, (in-game) cut scenes always look better than actual gameplay footage.
If it's anything to go by, during the e3 video when you're helping t-bone it's entirely realtime. It doesn't cut out or anything and i would say he has the same fidelity as the press screens.

May 10, 2013

August 1, 2013
ibkG4un0CtT15f.png

March 6, 2014
wmplayer2014-03-1118-b4sny.png

I've switched out your last picture from gamersyde's 254 MB 1080p video, which is just shy of 1.5 Mbps video bitrate.

That should highlight precisely what I'm concerned about, and yes, I acknowledge that we could just be talking about a 720p video that's been scaled up to 1080p for some random reason, or something similar.

But totally cause for concern, I would argue.

TyrantII

I've switched out your last picture from gamersyde's 254 MB 1080p video, which is just shy of 1.5 Mbps video bitrate.

That should highlight precisely what I'm concerned about, and yes, I acknowledge that we could just be talking about a 720p video that's been scaled up to 1080p for some random reason, or something similar.

But totally cause for concern, I would argue.

And the cinematics like this are the least egregious offenders. The model work still looks pretty good, and the texture resolution might just be due to a different AA implementation here. It also doesn't seem as nearly soft as the gameplay, but that could just be the because everything is in the foreground and bokeh effect is hiding anything at distance. It still shows a difference in lighting, though not nearly as drastic a change.

The pure game play on the other hand...

August 21, 2013
ibqa7YOPKUbhNQ.png

March 6, 2014
iPzjhEUXFuny9.png
One of the few times we get a direct comparison of the same scene and there appears to be no downgrade, and some improvements as Ubisoft suggested. Less crushed blacks, corrected lighting in the background, more clarity of shadows on her hairline. It's only a cutscene, so many questions remain unanswered, but it's food for thought.

a916

If anyone wants numbers based on publishers... check out their quarterly reports. Ubisoft, Activision and EA all seperate consoles and PCs and mobile.

And the cinematics like this are the least egregious offenders. The model work still looks pretty good, and the texture resolution might just be due to a different AA implementation here. It also doesn't seem as nearly soft as the gameplay, but that could just be the because everything is in the foreground and bokeh effect is hiding anything at distance. It still shows a difference in lighting, though not nearly as drastic a change.

The pure game play on the other hand...

It looks NOTHING like 1080p though. That's what I'm talking about. The IQ is notably worse in the story trailer shot.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Well, at least the rating has been upgradatonned!

Now rated R18 in Australia.

Violence has gone up from Strong impact to High impact
Drug Use up from Mild impact to Strong impact
Sex up from Moderate impact to Strong impact

Old version was rated MA
Holy shit! Australia's actually putting that R18 rating to use, instead of not using it and just banning stuff. Good work.

Now if only you could get rid of that rating board that's full of middle-aged white Christian women, and replace them with people who are more up-to-date with the current generation. NZ would thank you for it, since it's been known to affect us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom