• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Regarding that horrible looking Aisha Tyler trailer, I just stumbled upon this:

18234d00-3790-493b-af7c-7cc5843c6630.jpg

What an odd response.

MaLDo

Lighting was def. better before.

I don't think so.

Here you go:
May 10, 2013
image_watch_dogs-22047-2527_0003.jpg

August 1, 2013
ibkG4un0CtT15f.png

August 21, 2013
ibqa7YOPKUbhNQ.png

March 6, 2014
iPzjhEUXFuny9.png

Edit: The second shot ie: the clearest one out of all of them(besides the original screenshot) was taken from a 1.2gb .mov file.

May 10, 2013 was a bit bullshot. The girl has higher poly count than "August 1, 2013" version. Shadows are higher res too. Transparency in her hair is better too. In "August 1, 2013" there is clipping in the necklace with neck. Model is lower poly (easily visible in the elbow of his jacket and fingers) and doesn't have dof effect.

In August 21, the shaders are better. For skin, eyes... The hand has dof effect again. But girl loses autoshadows in the hair and necklace.

March 6, 2014 is the best of all. Shadows in the hair again and shadows finally in the necklace. Overall better indirect lighting. Better DOF maks (clearly visible in girl shoulders). Better face tones. And they fixed the texture on mobile screen that was misplaced in august. What I can see is screenshot resolution is not 1080p, looks 900p.

Jedi2016

These recent pictures seem to show that the lighting has been the biggest downgrade. Which is still a big issue, since the lighting is one of the things that made the game look so good up to this point.

TyrantII

I wonder if it's possible someone captured all the footage from XB1?

900P cut scenes and 720P gameplay?

The question would be why would they do that? Could they also be pulling a "PS4 displays everything in 1080P?"

So. Many. Questions.

chadskin

One thing I noticed: The train appears to have no interior in the March 2014 story trailer while you can cleary recognize people in the March 2013 (PC) footage.

March 2013
xBjpPYF.jpg

March 2014
R7yNh5L.jpg

Train downgrade confirmed? :p

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Welp....I was already all in for this.....the last few days, pages, threads just put my mind at ease....

GAF.....can drive a person insane at times..

I think when they first showed this game the specs of next gen was not fully know, even by game developers.

But now it is clear that PS4/One has not the power of a good gaming PC so they downgraded graphics for this lower specs (range of rather mid range gaming PC).

The PS4ONE has no special secret magic. :) They are what they are and we will never see detailed Full-HD graphics with 60 FPS on these consoles. To achieve 720p with AA and acceptable FPS the game developers MUST downgrade graphics.

I think in the coming years the Trailers for PS4One games will be more realistic in terms of graphics. The first game trailers a year ago showed graphics that COULD be possible, if these consoles had higher specs. :)

MaLDo

Smoke effect seem to change from footage to footage:

I would not bet my arm, but I think that smoke in story trailer is created using nvidia physx. If you look closely at particles in the end of the animation is the typical effect when using nvidia apex simulation. I guess if the put as future patch or only used for trailers.

POM road loss is really unfortunate.

I don't think so.

May 10, 2013 was a bit bullshot. The girl has higher poly count than "August 1, 2013" version. Shadows are higher res too. Transparency in her hair is better too. In "August 1, 2013" there is clipping in the necklace with neck. Model is lower poly (easily visible in the elbow of his jacket and fingers) and doesn't have dof effect.

In August 21, the shaders are better. For skin, eyes... The hand has dof effect again. But girl loses autoshadows in the hair and necklace.

March 6, 2014 is the best of all. Shadows in the hair again and shadows finally in the necklace. Overall better indirect lighting. Better DOF maks (clearly visible in girl shoulders). Better face tones. And they fixed the texture on mobile screen that was misplaced in august. What I can see is screenshot resolution is not 1080p, looks 900p.

Nice, i didn't even notice those changes. There is some odd things going on with the color temp in each one of those shots, they all look different when they should look like the first one. Maybe the issue is that the video encoding is indeed messed up.

About to dump the rest of the screencaps from the 2012 demo.
Smoke effect seem to change from footage to footage:
Yeah the smoke effect in the sharing trailer looks weird as hell.
I would not bet my arm, but I think that smoke in story trailer is created using nvidia physx. If you look closely at particles in the end of the animation is the typical effect when using nvidia apex simulation. I guess if the put as future patch or only used for trailers.

POM road loss is really unfortunate.
I wonder if it will come back.

mephixto

Banned
So you mean with a simple 32 bit cpu & a 7850 I can have the same specs of the ps4 in a pc? That's enough for me. You are not interested to hear the other opinions & call Cerny God prove how much childish you are. The same Carmack has explained more than a time how faster are the processing graphic in a specific game machines. But continue to think ps4 will never been pushed more because pc reign.

Well if you think that consoles can run beyond their hardware spec, good luck and good for you. Also 32 bit cpu? wtf is this 2004?

munroe

With the official Minimum PC specs being:

IntelCore 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz or AMDPhenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz,
6GB RAM,
1024 VRAM DirectX 11 Shader 5.0
DirectX9
25 GB

Just the minimum... are we looking at a poor optimisation or is the PC detail actually possibly at the 2012 levels?

JordanKZ

With the official Minimum PC specs being:

IntelCore 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz or AMDPhenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz,
6GB RAM,
1024 VRAM DirectX 11 Shader 5.0
DirectX9
25 GB

Just the minimum... are we looking at a poor optimisation or is the PC detail actually possibly at the 2012 levels?

That seems pretty conservative, aside from the RAM requirements which are down to next gen consoles having 8GB a piece.

munroe

That seems pretty conservative, aside from the RAM requirements which are down to next gen consoles having 8GB a piece.

Yeah I'm thinking recommended will be 8GB of RAM and possibly 2GB of VRAM

Edit: Seems the recommended specs have been released, 8GB RAM, 2GB VRAM, however, seems those were from last year when the game was originally planned for released in 2013, Morin hasn't tweeted anything about the recommended only the min, so maybe they've changed since last year? Until release, or at least in-depth gameplay previews are released closer to the release date, think I'll hold off from any conspiracy theories and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Akai__

Well, they said, that it will look better than E3 2012 on PC. We shall wait and see.

I'm just hoping, that my HD6850 will be able to run it at 1080p, with no major frame issues.

riflen

Well, they said, that it will look better than E3 2012 on PC. We shall wait and see.

I'm just hoping, that my HD6850 will be able to run it at 1080p, with no major frame issues.

Your GPU just meets minimum requirements. I don't know that the game would be worth full launch price to me if I had to run it with everything on low at 1280x720. I'd start saving for a GPU if I were you.

Well, i'm hoping to run it at medium settings in 1080p with my single GTX 680 and i5 4670k@4ghz, 8gb ram with acceptable frame rate (30's+).

If the graphics deliver what Jonathan Morin promises, the graphical fidelity of the 2012 E3 gameplay demo, it will be one of the most beautiful games ever, and that in an open world.

Well, i'm hoping to run it at medium settings in 1080p with my single GTX 680 and i5 4670k@4ghz, 8gb ram with acceptable frame rate (30's+).

If the graphics deliver what Jonathan Morin promises, the graphical fidelity of the 2012 E3 gameplay demo, it will be one of the most beautiful games ever, and that in an open world.

always be skeptical until proven otherwise these days ;)

R_Deckard

Thanks for these.

WD_S_VIP_IRAQ_1920x1080_1394462182_1.jpg

iTx6RSbUBP9NM.png

Huge difference in color saturation again compared to direct screens.

There like 2 different shots though, he has a different expression, the blur and DOF is changed, the angle and shot is not the same and he has a wooden slat or something behind him on the newer one.

It is from the same scene but looks like a different render?

omonimo

Banned
Well if you think that consoles can run beyond their hardware spec, good luck and good for you. Also 32 bit cpu? wtf is this 2004?
Console use 32 bit cpu. What the hell of hardware specs you are talking about? We don't know how much can be pushed a console until some years, not works exactly like a comparable pc. But you think so, you really overstimate your knowledge about the graphic processing.

chadskin

CliffyB tweeted something on the topic of Watch Dogs:

I'd wager that the reason Watch Dogs' graphics have been downgraded on the high end is due to the fact that it's shipping on last gen also.
Biggest enemy to next gen consoles is publishers hanging onto the last gen. I've said it before, it's limiting the capabilities of next gen.
Classic publisher self fulfilling prophecy. "Let's mitigate risk by shipping on last gen also."
Mitigation of that risk is then what causes people to not get the next gen consoles.
"Wait we want to be next gen...kinda...not really...maybe...oh and on the Wii U for some reason too!"
The Xbox 360 was helped along because Epic and Microsoft said "We're all in" and made a game that made the system shine. Justifies purchase.
In the meantime the PC master race is sitting over on the side with monster rigs laughing.
Foliage, for example. Instead of some really detailed next gen stuff you still get "sheets" and the resolution is the only thing to change.
Of course, considering what gamers expect out of a next gen AAA 60$ disc based game that risk mitigation is going to happen...

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb

Amkof

Neo Member
Watch Dogs was announced as 'last-gen' day one, it wasn't some decision made later that they didn't know was coming.

If the current quality was what they had shown all along though, I doubt people would be as up in arms as they are now. It would just be a mediocre previous gen port. What they were showing before though was pushing boundaries on atmosphere and graphic capabilities.

Maggots

Banned

Sure that looks good... if you like riding your motorcycle over saran wrapped streets... personally I think Specular highlighting is taken a bit too far sometimes... nothing in real life is that reflective...

As far as watch dogs is concerned, I hope we don't have another Aliens Colonial marines situation, where the week leading up to it kills all hype for the game... the finished product is garbage, and the Wii U version quietly is delayed into cancellation.

I think what happened here is either that first E3 reveal was on a High end PC... or a flat out planned in game cinematic cutscene made to look like gameplay... physics don't take a ton of processing if its all precalculated... really makes you wonder how this stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom