• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

arcoN

Neo Member
If you are downsampling, you're likely getting the RGB/Ycbcr problem. Whatever your system is using, swap it. That darkness will be fixed.

Sooooo if i capture them in Full-HD the pictures should be in the bright scenery like it was ingame?

because i think i captured them in full hd - but im not sure - ill check that when i get home

Faith

Wtf just noticed this thread has a million and half views ..just wow.
Even more than the actual OT. Crazy, not?

Some said that this topic only affects some gaffers and hardcore PC gamers, but I think that's not true. It's gone viral, you could consider it a shitstorm.

Dmax3901

Thankyou for your invaluable help. I had already googled with no luck.

Here's some of my own shots.

usQ.jpg

vsQ.jpg

Some said that this topic only affects some gaffers and hardcore PC gamers, but I think that's not true. It's gone viral, you could consider it a shitstorm.

i think it still does but people want to see what this game could look like if Ubisoft wouldnt act so strange.

How do you explain 1.5mio vievs in less than 24 hours? And all the news around the world?

because its a huge game that many people bought and all the Sh*storm about the downgrade. Ofcourse people are interested in this topic. I`m not a PC gamer anymore and i`m here arent i? for many its just interesting to see how this game can look like. Most people will not play it with this setting though!

xXBaconXx

Banned
I really think people should slow down on the "ubisoft r evil" posts. For all we know the only reason these effects aren't in the game is because they're buggy and unfinished. Just look at the difference in quality between the headlight shadows and regular shadows. And the bokeh DoF is still in the game, just on a subtler level. Ubisoft aren't evil, they don't hate PC gamers, and this isn't for platform parity.

The E3 2012 demo didn't have this type of DoF, and it didn't have headlight shadows. I'm not going to comment on whether there was a downgrade or not, but don't direct criticism where none is due. These effects are clearly not of good enough quality for Ubisoft to put them in themselves.

Here's proof on the headlight shadows by the way:

OuxK1o6.jpg

Serandur

I swear, someone in management at Ubisoft is downright foolish. They could have refined some of these features themselves (including an elimination of stuttering), had Watch Dogs renowned as a graphics king, garnered a lot of goodwill (especially from the PC community, and we love our well-optimized graphics kings), etc. It really wouldn't have cost them that much and I'm glad this shit's blowing up in their face. We need it to, it's insanity that they could get away with releasing broken products that they knew (all along) would never end up presented nearly as nicely as they advertised for years beforehand. It's pathetic. Then again, sales speak more loudly than words to them. I'm glad I haven't bought it yet, will wait for a heavy sale or an Nvidia voucher code or something.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
There's not only content in this mod. A whole rendering configuration is there. Technically, this guy could play with some values that tell the game which textures to load and on what level of detail, so it loads high-res only when you're really close, not all the time you're riding on your car.

Wow, that's great. Now I basically want this game just to toy with that. :lol

Watch Ubisoft locking down that file with the next update, though.

Some guy just posted this:
yGCQWdT.jpg

shows how much Ubisoft really cares...

EDIT: Whoops...

What kills me about this is Ubi obviously demoed WD on PC at E3 to show off all those fancy effects, and then are like 'lol PC', and just bait and switch once theyre sure console owners will hoover up a few million copies based on a PC demo

Derp

I've got a question.

In the updated mod, there's 3 folders: "Closer Camera", "Far Camera", and "Normal Camera". Each folder has it's own files (a .dat and a .fat file). However, Closer Camera has another folder in it called "patch_unpack". Inside that there are 3 folders: "engine", "generated" and "worlds". What exactly do i do with these. Do i leave them alone, or copy them into the Watch Dogs folder?

MaLDo

I've got a question.

In the updated mod, there's 3 folders: "Closer Camera", "Far Camera", and "Normal Camera". Each folder has it's own files (a .dat and a .fat file). However, Closer Camera has another folder in it called "patch_unpack". Inside that there are 3 folders: "engine", "generated" and "worlds". What exactly do i do with these. Do i leave them alone, or copy them into the Watch Dogs folder?

He forget to delete that folder. It's not necessary.

bozzie

Neo Member
There is this continued denial of a downgrade https://mobile.twitter.com/UbiTessa/status/478622295662297088
But I get the impression this person doesn't know of this mod or where it has come from

Yeah, considering she's PR for Belgium and Netherlands, it seems quite unfair to direct criticism towards her.

I remember a couple months before release that she was again one of the people saying the PC received no downgrade; I also remember her responses being in, understandably, broken English. Should probably cut her some slack.

Authority

Banned
Can someone please confirm the FPS and other performance relevant issues with mid-range GPUS? Sorry if it seems like begging...but I would like to know whether I should wait for this "fix" to be more completed so I can buy the game.

R_Deckard

I really think people should slow down on the "ubisoft r evil" posts. For all we know the only reason these effects aren't in the game is because they're buggy and unfinished. Just look at the difference in quality between the headlight shadows and regular shadows. And the bokeh DoF is still in the game, just on a subtler level. Ubisoft aren't evil, they don't hate PC gamers, and this isn't for platform parity.

The E3 2012 demo didn't have this type of DoF, and it didn't have headlight shadows. I'm not going to comment on whether there was a downgrade or not, but don't direct criticism where none is due. These effects are clearly not of good enough quality for Ubisoft to put them in themselves.

Here's proof on the headlight shadows by the way:

OuxK1o6.jpg
Whooo Hooo there man...this placebo train needs to roll on my friend, Evil Ubisoft that developed a game for PC and partner with one of the Big Card suppliers for additional exclusive effects are really just here to make settings for a game for fun and then remove them just to mock the PC community or some mythical parity with consoles!

Tut Tut you should know better!

Ubisoft aren't evil, they don't hate PC gamers, and this isn't for platform parity.

You are jumping to conclusions. Just the fact that a modder enabled these effects in an underbaked state doesn't say ANYTHING about their intentions. For all we can see - there was a lot of tech inside that game in almost finished state and that tech was flat out switched off, even with all the delays and PR bullshit.

xXBaconXx

Banned
You are jumping to conclusions. Just the fact that a modder enabled these effects in an underbaked state doesn't say ANYTHING about their intentions. For all we can see - there was a lot of tech inside that game in almost finished state and that tech was flat out switched off, even with all the delays and PR bullshit.

Ubisoft aren't evil, and they don't hate PC gamers.

There, I fixed it.

Jackpot

Banned
I'm not going to comment on whether there was a downgrade or not, but don't direct criticism where none is due. These effects are clearly not of good enough quality for Ubisoft to put them in themselves.

"whether there was a downgrade or not"? It's objective fact that there was. Not up for debate.

As for "Ubisoft only did this because they care about quality", their whole uplay service categorically disproves this. Not to mention individual games we could list.

elektrixx

Banned
I finally tried it. It's a little buggy, but it's good enough to keep on. I hope this becomes officially incorporated.

I'm hoping for lens flares next. Maybe some E3 fog?

Delt31

there's nothing more to this than putting the patch files in the win64 folder right? I see some guys saying change this from 0 to 1, etc so wasn't sure.

I also changed my gamer profile too (update to ultra) but then I did edit in graphics in game. Is this not good to do? What does changing ultra in the profile do if changing in game settings puts it back to default......not following that part?

Might it be that Ubi left those files on purpose? Perhaps they wanted somebody to hack its hacking game.

I would say that it could be entirely intentional to leave it as it is, just switched off. It doesn't have anything to do with subsequent modding though. It's just sometimes you work on a feature that is incorporated into main branch of development. At some point QA decides that it's not yet ready, but since it's kinda dangerous to pull it out altogether, you just disable it in the fastest way possible and continue with the other tasks.

Switching it off in the internal config seems logical.

hodgy100

Oh there's more as well. Not only did they put in graphics settings just for E3 and then forget to delete them from the final game, there are also animations:

4dbff9f11b356893aed1c4f5f9ccd139.png

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390244

Thats the "hands up" animation from aiden before he does the blackout.

This is a joke that keeps on giving.

But its great for us because it means we will be able to actually play the game as it was originally shown. Great work by TheWorse and all the other guys who are digging into this. This is a more significant breakthrough than the graphics settings IMO as it means there will be huge modding potential for the game now provided Ubi doesn't stop it happening with their next patch. But there are always ways around these things as there was with GTA IV

I'm sorry but this jsut screams of you (and others) not understanding how early demonstrations like this actually work. Watchdogs was first shown in 2012 ~2 years before it actually released, that demo was likely hacked together like crazy just to get something they could actually show. of course there is going to be code that is marked as "forE3" because when you arent close to release many of the games features aren't in place, so they are hacked in and faked for demonstration purposes. It isnt misleading because its been done to demonstrate something they were planning to be in the final game. If it was removed its because someone decided to for whatever reason. Getting all up in arms about things like this being in a 2 year old build when compared to the final game like this is ridiculous. I can understand being annoyed about the graphics being paired down for whatever reason, but game-play mechanics, animations and content can be changed and/or removed and that is completely fine.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
No matter what they do, it will never look like the E3 reveal. How do you add all the enterable buildings they removed, the damage to the gas station you see in the reveal that never happens in the final game, and so on.

Serandur

Whooo Hooo there man...this placebo train needs to roll on my friend, Evil Ubisoft that developed a game for PC and partner with one of the Big Card suppliers for additional exclusive effects are really just here to make settings for a game for fun and then remove them just to mock the PC community or some mythical parity with consoles!

Tut Tut you should know better!

Ubisoft aren't evil, and they don't hate PC gamers.

There, I fixed it.

"Evil"? Of course not, no one on here has made such a childish argument? "Hate"? Still childish and not made. You're making a play on words to discredit what people are really saying. No one's saying Ubisoft are evil and hate PC gamers, they're saying that some people making decisions at Ubisoft are being boneheaded and/or selling broken/misleading trash with apathy towards quality of the PC version and respect for reasonable demands of both a well-polished and as-shown product to their paying customers. Now, since the game is still selling so well anyway, I suppose they have no real incentive to care, but Ubisoft are releasing misleading and buggy shit for the platform and deserve all the shit they get for it... and more (like a lawsuit too, arguably).

Software regulation laws are still primitive, quality is not enforced as it should be for such a massive consumer industry. Either way, Ubisoft, time and time again, have both flat-out lied regarding the quality of their products and they have, consistently, released broken PC games (not just Watch Dogs' stuttering, AC III and IV have atrocious lack of proper multi-threading support, Far Cry 3 had issues, Unity will almost assuredly have issues, their Uplay implementation is unreliable horse crap, etc.) as full-priced, supposedly "finished" products. Their downgrades have not only done nothing to ensure any form of respectable stability within the final product, but they're also willfully and repeatedly (representing a self-aware trend, not an excusable fluke) grossly misrepresenting and lying about their products before and after release, denying or spinning the terrible state they end up in during the process.

Just to keep things in perspective...

This pic is maximum possible in game settings WITH theworsemod (1920x1080).

So yeah as nice as it looks when we get fancy and downsample, play with the fov, freecam etc... plain daylight graphics still look like shit.

Not trying to take away the work these modders have done but more to continue the whole downgrade talk and Ubisoft hate.

14420173616_246903a6ba_o_d.jpg

R_Deckard

I'm sorry but this jsut screams of you (and others) not understanding how early demonstrations like this actually work. Watchdogs was first shown in 2012 ~2 years before it actually released, that demo was likely hacked together like crazy just to get something they could actually show. of course there is going to be code that is marked as "forE3" because when you arent close to release many of the games features aren't in place, so they are hacked in and faked for demonstration purposes. It isnt misleading because its been done to demonstrate something they were planning to be in the final game. If it was removed its because someone decided to for whatever reason. Getting all up in arms about things like this being in a 2 year old build when compared to the final game like this is ridiculous. I can understand being annoyed about the graphics being paired down for whatever reason, but game-play mechanics, animations and content can be changed and/or removed and that is completely fine.

It would be funny if the hands up was not in the final game...but IT IS!

elektrixx

Banned
No matter what they do, it will never look like the E3 reveal. How do you add all the enterable buildings they removed, the damage to the gas station you see in the reveal that never happens in the final game, and so on.

Considering what's been found so far, I think that stuff will be found.

hodgy100

It would be funny if the hands up was not in the final game...but IT IS!

Which is what makes that post so ridiculous in the first place. frantically hurrying to point out things that were removed or changed without actually fact checking. But even if it was removed, things like that are normal over the course of development and the post shows an extreme misunderstanding on how game development actually works.

velociraptor

So yeah as nice as it looks when we get fancy and downsample, play with the fov, freecam etc... plain daylight graphics still look like shit.

Not trying to take away the work these modders have done but more to continue the whole downgrade talk and Ubisoft hate.

14420173616_246903a6ba_o_d.jpg
Yikes.

Absolutely true, a lot of people would be surprised what a simple camera angle change can do to a scene to make it look better.

tioslash

Tried the version 0.7 of the mod, and it seems good, apart from the headlights looking somewhat glitchy here.

On another note, nothing much to do with the topic, but would you guys recommend me to play this game with vsync ON or OFF? With OFF gives me some screen tearing, but ON feels a little weird on top of the game´s already too much mouse acceleration. Should I sacrifice IQ over the input lag? thanks anyone!

elektrixx

Banned
it's still a crap game, so no.

It sucks at the start when you have no abilities. I wanted to hack and stealth my way through the story as much as possible. I did side missions and collectables for a while before going back to the story. I love it. I enjoy the side stuff too.

On another note, nothing much to do with the topic, but would you guys recommend me to play this game with vsync ON or OFF? With OFF gives me some screen tearing, but ON feels a little weird on top of the game´s already too much mouse acceleration. Should I sacrifice IQ over the input lag? thanks anyone!

Play with a controller.

nOoblet16

I don't see any particular change that are drastic. The headlight shadows were not present in E3 2012 demo and the main camera bokeh is just ridiculous. They did not remove bokeh in the final game it's just that it's use is a lot more subtle than in your face like you see in a lot of mod applied screenshots here or the 2012/2013 demo (which apparently was running on PS4). The rain drops getting lit by car headlight is another feature but outside of that I see no visible missing features.

I just think the reason these features didn't make it were because they were buggy and that's about it...there's no conspiracy here to purposefully make the PC version have parity because it already has subtle improvements over the PS4/One versions like improved water.

Spaghetti

It sucks at the start when you have no abilities. I wanted to hack and stealth my way through the story as much as possible. I did side missions and collectables for a while before going back to the story. I love it. I enjoy the side stuff too.
eh... the side mission stuff is just filler though. after six mainline assassin's creed games of the same sort of pointless busywork, i just wasn't compelled to waste my time like that for some mediocre upgrade rewards.

ShadyJ

Ok I'll ask again, I installed the mod files and my in game settings go to high instead of ultra.

If I change them to ultra won't the xml file revert to default?

Top Bottom