• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC performance thread [Read post #1215 before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Summary for those who think on playing on PC:

- Expect it to run generally really bad.
- Expect keeping textures at "high" if you have 2/3Gb video memory. High + AA may even surpass 2Gb.
- Expect the number of core/threads mattering far more than your videocard or frequency clock.

- Expect visuals that make you absolutely baffled as to why the above points exist.

Trident7

I've got a i5-3570k gtx 780 (ref model) on stock settings, 8gb ram. It runs fine on ultra with msaa x2 and 4 but if i put it on x8 massive frame rate dip as it requires 2gb vram, also the stuttering while driving and the frame rate dip on that is really off putting. Generally its fine but just when driving its really bad with the dips and stuttering

It's not really difficult, i use Afterrburner to take my screenshots and i pretty much hit (x) on the pad and then F12 after about 1/4 of second so it's like two fast consecutive button hit.
Someone needs to hack around a CheatEngine table so we can restore the DOF in the game, that looks good !

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I've got a i5-3570k gtx 780 (ref model) on stock settings, 8gb ram. It runs fine on ultra with msaa x2 and 4 but if i put it on x8 massive frame rate dip as it requires 2gb vram, also the stuttering while driving and the frame rate dip on that is really off putting. Generally its fine but just when driving its really bad with the dips and stuttering

When you say it runs fine on ultra with msaa x2, do you mean you are getting constant 60 frames.

Is this with textures on ultra too?

Seanspeed

Banned
Define 'runs fine'.

MaLDo

2880x1800 custom settings

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-27-32-29.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-27-21-60.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-04-02-14.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-04-18-86.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-05-07-48.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-05-50-57.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-06-39-73.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-07-19-53.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-08-19-52.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-09-03-77.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-09-26-33.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-09-28-47.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-09-56-27.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-11-04-69.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+12-18-15-28.jpg

Watch_Dogs+2014-05-25+14-41-59-47.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-18-36-60.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-19-15-00.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-19-31-09.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-19-34-29.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-19-58-49.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-20-03-76.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-20-30-74.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-20-47-16.jpg

Watch_Dogs_maldo+2014-05-25+23-20-53-12.jpg

prag16

Banned
I guess after three years I'll be finally overclocking my 2500K.

Unless I missed something, I don't think anybody here demonstrated that this even really makes a difference (same for the i5/i7 difference for that matter). Outside of the Ubi passmark comments that is (and as has been said, that's almost meaningless ass passmark CPU scores don't mean a whole lot in terms of estimating real world gaming performance).

knitoe

Define 'runs fine'.

Yeah. What's so hard to:

1) Post your spec.

2) Post game settings.

3) Run MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision. Enable ingame monitoring. Select CPU & GPU usage. System & Video card ram usage and fps.

4) Take screenshot built into Afternburner / Precision and post it.

And, not sure, why people still use Fraps. It only shows fps.

Serandur

I got fed up in the end and just stuck everything on high, including textures. I get a solid 60-80fps and no stutter while driving.

Another trick is to add -disablepagefilecheck to the shortcut , although I can't vouch that was the cure.

VRAM plays no part in how this game runs. I have a 6GB Titan ffs ...still won't get me ultra textures.
About that Titan part, you mean you still get the heavy stuttering even there? Seriously?

I don't have the game for my 780 and 3770K PC, but my friend just got his copy for his 660 and 3570K and I've been messing around with it. On high textures, there is some of the irritating stuttering/freezing while driving, on medium none, and on ultra they become much more severe and prolonged even when walking around. The 660 might be a bit of an outlier for 2GB cards though because of its odd memory configuration where only 1.5 GBs are usable without dividing bandwidth by three, so it rarely actually uses much more than 1.5 GBs unless it absolutely needs to (even in this game).

Phionoxx

I guess after three years I'll be finally overclocking my 2500K.

I just did today as well. Pretty easy, had never bothered with OC before. Went to 4.5 GHz following this guide as a baseline using air cooling (Hyper 212 EVO).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

I also just google'd "2500K overclock + (your specific motherboard) for a more specific guide that may cover unique options to each MB manufacturer.

bigace33

Wow, GMG had this for $45 bucks right now. I couldn't resist even though my comp is going to be massacred by this game performance wise. I guess with "next gen" Batman coming in October it's finally time to upgrade my CPU and motherboard.

gossi

Had a play on a friends not very good PC gaming rig with this. The rig is an AMD 6300 CPU (3.5ghz) and an Nvidia 660. Runs fine in Ultra at 1080p, with FPS locked to 30fps. You can unlock fps by turning vsync, but it's more stable with it on.

Amusingly the performance mirrors the FPS target of PS4, except with 1080p resolution instead of 900p and in Ultra instead of High.

Wow, GMG had this for $45 bucks right now. I couldn't resist even though my comp is going to be massacred by this game performance wise. I guess with "next gen" Batman coming in October it's finally time to upgrade my CPU and motherboard.

dont see this price on the site?

xBladeM6x

Had a play on a friends not very good PC gaming rig with this. The rig is an AMD 6300 CPU (3.5ghz) and an Nvidia 660. Runs fine in Ultra at 1080p, with FPS locked to 30fps. You can unlock fps by turning vsync, but it's more stable with it on.

Amusingly the performance mirrors the FPS target of PS4, except with 1080p resolution instead of 900p and in Ultra instead of High.

That's actually really promising since I use this setup.

i7-3770k
660 TI
16 GB RAM 1600 MHz

TSM

Is this trick ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389072 ) a different one to the above shortcut 'coding' in terms of what it does for game performance?

People trying this really need to do a before and after. I used it on GTA 4 episodes of liberty city and it made the game chug unbelievably when it was streaming data in. While I'm sure it does help some games run significantly better, it's apparently not universal.

kharma45

I just did today as well. Pretty easy, had never bothered with OC before. Went to 4.5 GHz following this guide as a baseline using air cooling (Hyper 212 EVO).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

I also just google'd "2500K overclock + (your specific motherboard) for a more specific guide that may cover unique options to each MB manufacturer.

You could probably push it a bit further too, depending on temps and what volts you're using to get that far. Try and see if you can get to 4.8GHz. 4.5 is still perfectly respectable mind.

gossi

That's actually really promising since I use this setup.

i7-3770k
660 TI
16 GB RAM 1600 MHz

The PC I was using was AMD 6300 stock clock (3.5ghz), 660 non-TI, and 8gb 1333 MHz ram (stock clock). Crap no brand power supply, stock CPU fan etc. The PC had no optimizations, no SSD etc. You could probably build it for cheaper than a PS4 nowadays.

And it ran Watch Dogs on Ultra at 1080p with 30fps. When you set GPU frames to 1 and turn on vsync, it locks it to 30fps cap which works really well.

Anyone else have this blurry effect when enabling MSAA? Don't ask why the screen has this orange filter on it. Fraps captured it like that.

Specs:
Intel i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7970 Twin Frozr OC BE
Do you have F.lux by any chance? If you do you can disable it to capture non-orangeish screenshots.

Phionoxx

You could probably push it a bit further too, depending on temps and what volts you're using to get that far. Try and see if you can get to 4.8GHz. 4.5 is still perfectly respectable mind.

Yeah I don't think it would be too bad to push a bit higher. Really the biggest thing was setting the CPU Core Voltage to 1.3V and then testing how far I could go without getting errors in Prime 95.

My temps at idle are around low 40C, during Prime 95 stress testing they would go up to about low 70C with 100% CPU utilization.

cripterion

About that Titan part, you mean you still get the heavy stuttering even there? Seriously?

I don't have the game for my 780 and 3770K PC, but my friend just got his copy for his 660 and 3570K and I've been messing around with it. On high textures, there is some of the irritating stuttering/freezing while driving, on medium none, and on ultra they become much more severe and prolonged even when walking around. The 660 might be a bit of an outlier for 2GB cards though because of its odd memory configuration where only 1.5 GBs are usable without dividing bandwidth by three, so it rarely actually uses much more than 1.5 GBs unless it absolutely needs to (even in this game).

Get the latest Nvidia drivers, I had the same problem before, I uninstalled my drivers,cleaned up the registry and got the 337.81 and it's ok now. Only thing is GeForce experience doesn't work anymore but I'm guessing it will be fixed once the official drivers come up.

kharma45

Yeah I don't think it would be too bad to push a bit higher. Really the biggest thing was setting the CPU Core Voltage to 1.3V and then testing how far I could go without getting errors in Prime 95.

My temps at idle are around low 40C, during Prime 95 stress testing they would go up to about low 70C with 100% CPU utilization.

Still headroom yet then. So long as you're lower than 80-85c in Prime95 you're fine, as gaming temps won't be as high as that. Bit of fun to play around and see where you get to. I got pretty unlucky with my 2500K, 4.4 GHz is my max ;_;

gossi

I doubt it runs that smooth at Ultra textures even if it's 30FPS, since people are having issues even on a Titan...

It does. You can turn off paging to get around stutter (although there's some weird things with this engine under the hood). Also, beta drivers.

gossi

By the way, there's some hilarious bad resolution textures in this game. The in game adverts in particular - at the Metro stations you're stood right next to them, and on Ultra they look like 128x128 textures. Pixel posters basically.

MrBali

Neo Member
Well, they said you need a Passmark score of 9000 for Ultra, and the i7-4700MQ scores 7700 @ 3.2Ghz. You can raise the multipliers to 3.5Ghz in Intel XTU.

They said you need a GTX 670 for Ultra, and the GTX 780M has performance in between the desktop 670 and 680. Plus the 780M has 4GB of VRAM.

So yeah, you'll be fine.

First time I'm hearing about Intel XTU. I will give it a try thanks

By the way, there's some hilarious bad resolution textures in this game. The in game adverts in particular - at the Metro stations you're stood right next to them, and on Ultra they look like 128x128 textures. Pixel posters basically.

This game was made for lowest common denominators (PS360) they had to put in bad textures like that. Could have fixed it yes, but maybe they decide not too

gossi

This game was made for lowest common denominators (PS360) they had to put in bad textures like that. Could have fixed it yes, but maybe they decide not too

On PS360, the textures I'm talking about would stand out as being appalling. You'll know it when you see it. It looks like Doom 2 textures at times. Also, you'd be amazed what those consoles are capable of - GTA 5 looks great.

Dex815

what type of stuff would you guys like to see?

You should stop with the self promotion of your channel here. How many videos of your channel have you linked in the last days already?

E. Self-Promotion and Spam

Do not create new threads promoting a product or service you have any involvement in, or paste PR materials for promotional purposes, or attempt to embed referral links in your posts to generate revenue. If an existing discussion is taking place directly involving something you are associated with, you may participate in order to answer questions, clarify details, and otherwise engage with the community, but as a person, not an advertisement.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Based on reading, the VRAM usage of this game is absolutely assed. I get that it's a cross gen game that is trying to be that first next gen open world type of game but I can't believe how much VRAM this hogs so fast. Makes me weary to even want to pick this up as I know I can run this at 60fps without much issue based on other peoples reports.

Xyber

Is it true I cant play this game with a DX10 card?

Yes, just read the minimum specs for it.

Anyone here know how I can get rid of the square that pops up when I use the phone? Can't get any nice DoF shots if I get ugly thing in the middle! I've disabled everything HUD related in the config as far as I can see..

TSM

Based on reading, the VRAM usage of this game is absolutely assed. I get that it's a cross gen game that is trying to be that first next gen open world type of game but I can't believe how much VRAM this hogs so fast. Makes me weary to even want to pick this up as I know I can run this at 60fps without much issue based on other peoples reports.

It seems like the game will use whatever amount of ram you have as people with 6GB titans are saying it maxes their memory out. The problem seems to be that the memory management fails, especially while driving quickly. I'd wait for the official driver updates from AMD and Nvidia before getting overly concerned though. The people playing this have beat street date by quite a bit and I'd imagine driver updates will be rolling out by or on launch day. This is a game Nvidia is pushing exclusive features on after all. I can't imagine they will let their cards flounder this hard after release.

So I'm not a heavy pc gamer, but I'll probably be playing this on my laptop since I don't have access to my PS4 since I'm out of town.

My laptop can play, let's say Dark Souls 2 at everything on high settings, except I have to run it at 720p, and the framerate sits between 30 fps and 60 fps. Heavy areas, obviously 30, lighter areas obviously at 60 fps.

You think I can run this game at something that sits between PS3 and PS4 levels?

Serandur

Get the latest Nvidia drivers, I had the same problem before, I uninstalled my drivers,cleaned up the registry and got the 337.81 and it's ok now. Only thing is GeForce experience doesn't work anymore but I'm guessing it will be fixed once the official drivers come up.

I will try this, thanks.

Even more disheartening is how much trouble the not-so-great textures seem to possibly be causing for even high-end cards. They're really not that high-res looking. I suppose the render distance of the textures could be a factor rather than sheer quality.

I'd say even if DX10 was supported, the 260 would struggle with performance and you'd have a bad experience. Think of it as a blessing! (And a prompt to upgrade... if you want to run big-budget games on your PC throughout this gen, that card isn't going to be good enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom