• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchMojo's Top 10 Disappointing Games of 2016

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
https://youtu.be/bPJCNUnxnPU

Disappointing doesn't mean bad but it doesn't exactly deliver expectations, FYI.

10. ReCore
9. The Last Guardian
8. Mafia III
7. Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
6. Street Fighter V
5. Tom Clancy's The Division
4. Star Fox Zero
3. Battleborn
2. Mighty No. 9
1. No Man's Sky

thejpfin

At least this list isn't disappointing but what is TLG doing there?
From the video "series of technical issues hold the game back from reaching its potential" Camera, framerate and AI issues.
That's a pretty good reason to have TLG in this list imo.

Not a bad list, nice job WatchMojo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
From the video "series of technical issues hold the game back from reaching its potential" Camera, framerate and AI issues.

That seems like YMMV thing sadly as I had no issues getting Trico do what I want and I'm planning a less than 5 hour run of the game and wouldn't bother if the AI was a mess.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

If there is one thing that game has taught me, it's that people's sensitivity to these issues really do vary a LOT. In the 10 hours I spent with the game I had exactly 2 problems with Trico, and maybe one instance of the camera frustrating me. Maybe I just got lucky, but I don't think so.

Ridley327

Star Ocean 5? Seriously? People were expecting things out of it?

People wanted something that would have washed out the taste of SO4, and it didn't seem like it would have been too hard to do just that. Alas, super low budgets and a rushed development that leaves in egregious design flaws are what they are.

HStallion

Surprise surprise, the entire list is a "YMMV thing".

Hell, there are people in this very same forum who liked NMS.

Yeah but I feel TLG pulled off exactly what it wanted to do wonderfully well. Something like MN9 or NMS were even more hyped and failed spectacularly

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah but I feel TLG pulled off exactly what it wanted to do wonderfully well. Something like MN9 or NMS were even more hyped and failed spectacularly

Does TLG really count as a hyped game? I mean Ueda fans were looking forward to it, but those aside, most people seemed to be expecting an average game at best.

Does a long dev cycle = hyped?

HStallion

Does TLG really count as a hyped game? I mean Ueda fans were looking forward to it, but those aside, most people seemed to be expecting an average game at best.

Does a long dev cycle = hyped?

I wasn't really speaking about development time but another long awaited game came out right before TLG in FFXV and while I enjoyed I felt that was more deserving of a spot on the list than TLG. With TLG I feel most people got the game they expected even after the long development time.

Carlius

Banned
wtf man..another the division mention. whats with the hate? game is great for what it is! will continue playing it!

Sfv- "shipped with no tournament mode" "always have to be online" ummm what?

It's almost like WatchMojo never know what they are talking about ever...

Like that time they claimed the Gamecube was a "failure" and probably failed because it's default color was Purple and was too much of a "girly color" and "put off hardcore gamers".

-shadow-

Star Fox Zero should've been higher. Also I don't get Battleborn, it's a fine game.
Though Overwatch killed it.

I'm not able to watch the vid, some perhaps this is addressed, but:

The Division had a weak end game state, but you wouldnt hit it until you'd sunk in about 25-30 hours. And it sold really well. By most accounts that ride to the end was a lot of fun - and as of November the end game problems had been fixed.

What was disappointing about it?

TLG delivered what I wanted.

Oh, and honestly, I don't know what else StarFox Zero could have done after thinking about it. It was a 64-like with some interesting ways to transform the Arwing that I think were integrated nicely into gameplay. The second screen stuff was unnecessary, yes, but it wasn't really that disappointing as a game, IMO.

Unknown?

That seems like YMMV thing sadly as I had no issues getting Trico do what I want and I'm planning a less than 5 hour run of the game and wouldn't bother if the AI was a mess.
Yeah the only time Trico didn't do what I wanted was when I was telling him to go the wrong way. Lol Camera was bad in tight spaces but always corrected itself after a bit.

legacyzero

Banned
"No Man's Sky is the most disappointing!"

*Proceeds to say almost nothing about the game, but everything about the controversy swirling around.

OK, I'll agree that people have every right to be pissed about all the pre-launch bullshit, NMS still launched. Still did well. VERY WELL. Even Critically, it did ok.

One thing that Angry Joe, TB, and Watch Mojo failed to mention, is that Hello Games have patched the game quite a few times to fix any issues on a technical level, and have already began to make good on a long future of post launch support. Of course they wont say that.

Sure, their silence is frustrating, and pre launch bullshit makes people cynical as fuck.

But these Youtube channels are clearly riding the super popular NMS Youtube Tag. I know. I have a NMS channel. The NMS interest is real.

Markitron

Who expected anything from Battleborn?

Randy Pitchford, because he lives in an alternate reality where Battleborn trounced Overwatch and Colonial Marines is a good game.

13ruce

Banned
A very reasonable list imo.
Mighty No 9 should be number one tho sure No Man's Sky is bad also but Mighty No 9 is another level of bad imo.

The Last Guardian? That's gonna be a controversial pick.

Yeah I would replace those two(played them both)

Hell I would replace it with Dark Souls 3 too.

rzjp9hM.gif

DS3 is the game of the generation. The only disappointing thing is that it had to end at some point.

I'm not sure why people class Star Fox Zero as a disappointment when they were clearly not on board with the concept to begin with. The serious objections to the game are more about concept than execution. It executed on what it wanted to be very well; people just objected to what it wanted to be. They objected from the start and their doubts were never assuaged, as the game was what it was.

I expected SF64 with motion controls and a weird dual-screen aiming system, which was exactly the bill of goods I was sold, and it far surpassed my expectations with its slickness, replayability, and sense of satisfaction in mechanical mastery. (And I was never even that attached to SF64.) The first hour is rough. But the reward for sticking with Star Fox Zero is learning how to handle Star Fox Zero, and even at an average level of competence, when you get to the point of thinking about high-level tactics rather than which stick or button does what, it is amazing.

But one might as well shout at a brick wall about this, for all the good it does in the face of Internet groupthink and the frustrations of people who gave up before completing a single run. It's like how Skyward Sword had the early Ghirahim check: you can always tell if someone worked their way up to clearing the check with ease, or if their instinct was to blame the controls and quit. I know who I prefer to take seriously.

HStallion

The Division had a weak end game state, but you wouldnt hit it until you'd sunk in about 25-30 hours. And it sold really well. By most accounts that ride to the end was a lot of fun - and as of November the end game problems had been fixed.

Wasn't it riddled with cheaters on the PC side for a long time?

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah as a regular PS4 owner I feel the same in TLG being disappointing for me. Haven't progressed more than 2 hours into the game cause the framerate is really bad for me and I really don't want to have to get a Pro.

RBIYF

Neo Member
This list is obviously an opinion, just like any other, but I think The Last Guardian delivered on it's original vision and promise, something very few games with long development cycles achieve. Also, judging from the response of the game that I've read online from fans of Fumito Ueda and Team Ico, I think the majority were very pleased with what was delivered.

I don't know how a how a Fumito Ueda game that plays like Fumito Ueda game, including trademark "flaws" (if you can call them that), somehow makes it a disappointment.

I personally think TLG is only a disappointment to those that followed it purely for the hype rather then being fans of Ueda's previous work and presentation.

Markitron

I feel like the one that got hyped for a decade deserves the spot more.

But it wasn't really hyped for a decade, no one ever really expected an all time 10/10 masterpiece.

Purists will argue (with understandable reasons) that TLG is fitting for this list but it's the biggest achievement on this generation and, of course, the best game of it imo.

Edit: FFXV deserves the spot much more.

Van Bur3n

What about Mirror's Edge?

This as well. Catalyst put Mirror's Edge back in a hole and it's not coming out of it for a long while. Definitely something I can see on their list over TLG.

Some solid choices, but I feel WatchMojo glossed over some actual major disappointments.

Ultimadrago

I agree with The Last Guardian being on the list. It's strange how it's not disappointing in that it was what I expected, but felt more disappointing actually playing through it regardless.

silva1991

How many people actually remember Quantum Break? I was excited once, but after release it never comes to my mind until someone brings it up lol.

120v

i have about 200 hrs in the game, would tirelessly defend it at any chance but... i can't really argue with it being on '2016 disappointing games' list. most people wanted more out of it and i can't argue with that. i could deal with issues the game had about six months ago but i can see why somebody else would call it a day and move onto something else

Top Bottom