• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 |OT| $39.99 @ PSN for Megamelons

IrishNinja

4 is supposed to be a vast improvement.

opinions may differ; i personally found 3 disappointing. like, 2s not as good as 1 but the dropoff in quality for 3 felt bad for me, even at a budget price.

Riposte

I've spent too much on DD titles already. My game economy works on selling back on Amazon. This will be a tough call, but I'm very interested.

Sorry but we cannot have a thread about this game without these

way_of_samurai_4_thumb1.jpg

way-of-the-samurai-4_004.jpg

ps3_waysamurai4f.jpg

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Way of the Samurai 1 was freaking amazing. Never played the sequels, but have been looking out for a cheap copy of 3.

I'll probably end up just getting 4 though to scratch the itch.

Uthred

It always amazes me how backwards as fuck a lot of gamers are. Digital distribution on consoles is improving so slowly due in part to the kind of luddite attitudes expressed in this thread. People seem incapable of differentiating between a game that is available via digital distribution as opposed to a game targeted at digital distribution, in this case comments that a full current gen commercial release available for the first time in english should be priced at $20. The games already at a significant discount. This also seems to be unique to console gamers, digital distribution on the PC doesnt carry the same weird fan attribued stigma (nor any kind of discount e.g. Steam is regularly significantly more expensive for new releases than buying a physical copy)

As well as that some of the complaints are just bizarre. All localised game generally have some time lag between release in their country of origin and their localised release - but theyre mostly still released for full price because the localised version isnt a year old. So the Japanese version is a year old, the localised version is not. The only way the complaint is even semi-legitimate (as if "Its a year old" is a valid complaint for a current gen game) is if you could have played and fully enjoyed the Japanese release which a) I imagine most people in the thread couldnt have and b) if they could why not just import it?

IrishNinja

^agreed with a great deal of this. i get everyone's preferences and all, but really...looking at the future in terms of niche releases like this, this is something we oughta support, especially if the game delivers like we've read.

EVOL 100%

$40 is fair enough.

I heard this series has insane amounts of freedom, and the quirkiness makes it look pretty damn entertaining. Not everything has to be grimdark. I'll probably get this game soon.

ironcreed

Banned
It's sadly going to have to wait. The rest of the year is slammed for me and I am simply going to have to hold off on some games. Even some of the bigger ones.

Pyrrhus

$40 is just too much for a digital release. At least for me. There's no manufacturing, no shipping, and no brick and mortar retailer to deal with. I feel like $30 is more or less the top end of what I'm going to pay for a game with no physical presence that I have to rely on the viability of the current console generation and the benevolence of a corporate overlord to play. I may look into the European release however. Luddite or not, that's how I feel. XSEED is going to have trouble getting my business if they're trying to be mostly digital from here forward.

Isn't this getting a physical release in Europe? It's great Xseed is bringing this here, but I'll never buy a digital version of a game if I have the option for a physical one.

username quote

its good to support this game anyway you can, though.

Yeah, I'll buy it one way or another. While I'm disappointed this isn't getting a physical release here, I understand why. I'd love to know, as a whole, how successful these digital-only localizations have been.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Purely out of curiosity, do we know if the UK release is using the same translation as the US version? Or did NISA do their own localization?

Razlo

...I know, but still...

Disaster Report 4 and Steambot Chronicles 2 getting cancelled on pretty much the same day was one of the saddest (game related) things for me ever.

You can buy an import copy of Disaster Report 3. There's a great guide online, so it's still super playable, even if you don't know any Japanese.

UGH at these pictures. I consider WOTS 1 as one of my favorite games of all time. While there was plenty of silliness in the game it never went over the top or borderline insane like these pictures suggest, In fact the more serious telling of the story was one of the things that drew me in because I wanted to see it from the different sides and get all the endings

Someone just give me WOTS HD

The official site of the EU publisher has it listed for October 5th. Which sucks, because people were saying before that it'd be released in early September.

Terra_Ex

lol, seemingly this was actually intended by the original dev team, XSEED just commented on this on another forum:

"To be fair, that was us -- XSEED -- not NIS. And it's technically accurate to the Japanese, too! Albeit... extrapolated a bit.

See, the character's name in katakana is "dekameron." Which could be deCameron, sure... but this is Way of the Samurai we're talking about. The character has... erm... big assets, shall we say... and in Japanese, "deka" = "mega," essentially. And "meron" = "melon." Any Japanese gamer who plays the game will immediately hear the name and think, big melons. It was very clearly intentional.

So we made a judgment call, and decided it was better to translate the intended pun -- misogynistic though it may be -- rather than play it straight and lose the joke."
Getting this day one for sure, nice to have a game that embodies the CYOA concept with samurai era and this series does it so well its shameful it's not more popular.

cj_iwakura

lol, seemingly this was actually intended by the original dev team, XSEED just commented on this on another forum:

Getting this day one for sure, nice to have a game that embodies the CYOA concept with samurai era and this series does it so well its shameful it's not more popular.

So it seems like XSeed localized it, and they worked out a deal with NISA to distribute it in Europe?

That's my guess, anyway.

Is it at all possible that the NA and EU save files are compatible?

I always prefer the non-volatile media release over the volatile one, especially with my fridge size being a concern, but if I decided I want to play sooner rather than later, I would still be interested in getting the disc-based version.

I'm going to assume that this thread will serve as the unofficial OT. Anyone else looking forward to downloading this tomorrow? I've never played the previous games, but like what I've read about this one.

cj_iwakura

I'm going to assume that this thread will serve as the unofficial OT. Anyone else looking forward to downloading this tomorrow? I've never played the previous games, but like what I've read about this one.

Playing it, yes. Downloading it, no. I'll import the EU release at some point.

Yuterald

$40 is too steep for me to buy digitally. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do, XSEED, but I'm not mentally there yet where I can justify a digital game for that price. Ugh, I wish we still lived in an era where packaged goods were completely justifiable. Will the European version be physical? I can't afford something like this right now even if I wanted to support you guys. I hope the game does decent for you guys! I still appreciate the fact that you're releasing cool, underdog Japanese games. =D

Honestly, I've been a casual Way of the Samurai fan since the original PS2 version. I own all the games, but I've BARELY touched them, as opposed to say the Yakuza games, which I can't get enough of and have played them all for 100s of hours. I do mean to give these games their time of day, but I haven't picked that day yet, lol!

$40 is too steep for me to buy digitally. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do, XSEED, but I'm not mentally there yet where I can justify a digital game for that price. Ugh, I wish we still lived in an era where packaged goods were completely justifiable. Will the European version be physical? I can't afford something like this right now even if I wanted to support you guys. I hope the game does decent for you guys! I still appreciate the fact that you're releasing cool, underdog Japanese games. =D

it will be.

Yuterald

it will be.

Thanks.

Hmm...not sure what to do when the times comes. On the one hand I gotta keep supporting XSEED because you guys are one of the few reasons why I even give a shit about modern gaming. On the other hand, I'm a stubborn old man that enjoys the physicality of my vid games. Decisions, decisions... O_O

I'm really curious about this game. Always wanted to try the series back when it first hit the PS2, but never got around to it.

Hope to hear some impressions on this one soon. :)

edit: oh man, the clips of this on Youtube are hilarious. I have to play this.

ironcreed

Banned
Hahaha oh man.

This is bought.

Were I not already neck deep in stuff to play, I would go ahead and get it today. I'll definitely be getting it down the road, though. They really took the series in an... interesting direction, lol. It just looks too nuts to pass up.

I tried playing 3 but found the combat rather hard. Never quiet wrapped my head around the concept of levelling up swords and the like. Is 4 more of the same in terms of combat?

Top Bottom