• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need our fantasy RPGs grimey again

0 HP

Sort of like what Wu-Tang did 10 years ago. RPGs and even games in general need to stop force themselves on the cool and young crowd. Look at these then and now things:

THEN:
cover.jpg

cover_l.jpg

NOW:
212952_full.jpg

THEN:
loz_story.jpg

NOW:
zelda-poste3-17.JPG

This is a good progression, but Link's looks are too overdone. He's more of an icon than a character, which sucks. Hopefully you know what I'm saying here.

I'll find more later, but Final Fantasy does this too.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Your post might have been something I agreed with if I read the whole thing, but you used the word grimey which gave me a BSOD.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Billy Rygar said:
Comaparing concept art to ingame art is completely asinine.
True that.
The Mana games of today are graphical progressions of the earlier ones. Zelda, I'd argue isn't though. But your point remains.

Balzac

I think the real problem here is that Link has a wind fairy living inside his limey weapon.

That's not really cool with the kids nowdays.

I actually understand what you're talking about, I think. I wouldn't use the world grimey personally. I think you're term grimey is a cleverly disguesed way of saying RPGs have gotten too kiddie -- or too 'easy' to get into.

Ryuukan

Why can't you be honest and say that you're poisoned by nostalgia, rather than compare manual scans and OST coverart to ingame shots.

It's true, though. Old JRPGs at least aimed for a somewhat "serious" aesthetic, hindered as they were by technology. Modern JRPGs are all about how many animu puffy Chu-Chu sidekicks they can squeeze into 60 drawn out hours of "gameplay."

Pish!

Synthesizer Patel said:
It's true, though. Old JRPGs at least aimed for a somewhat "serious" aesthetic, hindered as they were by technology. Modern JRPGs are all about how many animu puffy Chu-Chu sidekicks they can squeeze into 60 drawn out hours of "gameplay."

Pish!

yeah there ya go, that's a better way to put it than...grimey. Terrible word choice.

I actually agree with what you're saying, they have gotten way too fu-fu, in general. But the pendulum always swings the other way eventually mr. OP. Just wait.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Synthesizer Patel said:

Pish!

agreed. I really like games like pokemon and those that go all the way with their cutesy shit, but in most of Squareenix's games there are always some degree of serious and animu shit.

Act raiser <-> pokemans

choose a side.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ryuukan said:
Why can't you be honest and say that you're poisoned by nostalgia, rather than compare manual scans and OST coverart to ingame shots.
I never understood why nostalgia gets such a heated rap around here, but I really do replay and enjoy those old games that I'm so "nostalgic" for. Just that Zelda map thread brought up feelings that I still get when I play those games today. So wanting more games to evoke that isn't something I see as bad.
Brobzoid said:
choose a side.
No. That's just silly.

Personally I'd love to see something in the vein of a Studio Ghibli epic myself. Something with the art style of Princess Mononoke or Howl's Moving Castle would be fantastic.

Safe Bet

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I would love to play an RPG that looked like old D&D book cover art.
mollyhatcheteh7.jpg

I remember this album cover giving me the "willies" every time I saw it...

Imagine being able to play it...

*shiver*

joelseph

Systems_id said:
Personally I'd love to see something in the vein of a Studio Ghibli epic myself. Something with the art style of Princess Mononoke or Howl's Moving Castle would be fantastic.

GOTY

I'd love an RPG with a more mature theme, gritty setting, with characters, creatures, and dialog that is written for an adult. Perhaps the next gen Fallout game will fit the bill, but we're still waiting to hear more on that one.

RevenantKioku

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'd love an RPG with a more mature theme, gritty setting, with characters, creatures, and dialog that is written for an adult. Perhaps the next gen Fallout game will fit the bill, but we're still waiting to hear more on that one.
:lol :lol
Why would the next Fallout be any different?

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Define "adult". According to some, its real definition is the same as "immature" although they would be loathe to admit it.

Personally I feel most stuff passed off as "adult" is just an immature view of what it means to portray adult situations, content, etc.

RevenantKioku said:
:lol :lol
Why would the next Fallout be any different?

New development team?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Define "adult". According to some, its real definition is the same as "immature" although they would be loathe to admit it.

How are "adult" and "immature" the same thing?

What I mean is that the game isn't aimed at a younger crowd. It deals with issues on a higher level or even issues that other RPG's don't want to tackle. It handles them in a mature way, and presents them to the player in a way that is serious and well thoughtout/written. Don't insult my intelligence, tell a great story, and make me care about the characters, and the events that they are under taking.

Some orginality would be great too! :)

RevenantKioku

Kung Fu Jedi said:
New development team?
Yeah, but then it might as well not be Fallout at all, right? Then again that's not necessarily bad...

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, but then it might as well not be Fallout at all, right? Then again that's not necessarily bad...

We don't know what Bethesda has in mind for the game yet, as they haven't released much of anything at all. They may slap the Fallout name on game that doesn't resemble the orginals at all. I hope not, but just saying that could be the case. Even if they try to mimic the tone and look of the orginal games, they may not succeed, and the writing may not be on par. We'll just have to wait to see.

RevenantKioku

Kung Fu Jedi said:
We don't know what Bethesda has in mind for the game yet, as they haven't released much of anything at all. They may slap the Fallout name on game that doesn't resemble the orginals at all. I hope not, but just saying that could be the case. Even if they try to mimic the tone and look of the orginal games, they may not succeed, and the writing may not be on par. We'll just have to wait to see.
I'm sorry, are you trying to imply that the original games had a "mature" theme? It's writing, while interesting, was very childish.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
New development team?

How are "adult" and "immature" the same thing?

What I mean is that the game isn't aimed at a younger crowd. It deals with issues on a higher level or even issues that other RPG's don't want to tackle. It handles them in a mature way, and presents them to the player in a way that is serious and well thoughtout/written. Don't insult my intelligence, tell a great story, and make me care about the characters, and the events that they are under taking.

Some orginality would be great too! :)

Sorry I edited my post to avoid some confusion. My point is that some people have a absurd view of what mature or "adult" content really is and the result is often immature. Look no further than cable TV for examples. :D

We definetly need another Fallout, or Planscape Torment, or Baldur's Gate.

Bioware...how could you. From Baldur's Gate to jade empire...*shakes head*...you bastards.

Cdammen

You're talking about styles? You don't like well-defined characteristics but want subdued styles? You want more realistic, adult themed RPGs? Is that what you're trying to say :)

I wouldn't mind a few more Japanese RPGs per generation with a realistic art style, if that's what you're getting at with the topic. Or at least more gritty or mature art styles. I really dislike 99% of the anime styles that current Japanese RPGs use.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
most stuff passed off as "adult" is just an immature view of what it means to portray adult situations, content, etc.

I think this is one of the best posts I've ever seen on GAF.

ToxicAdam

Dark Cloud 2 shows you how you can do "cartoony" yet still have a distinct, grimy look about it.

Like always, it comes down to art direction. Most JRPGS don't have it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Did you really just compare a page out of the loZ(nes) MANUAL to the graphics of TP?

Dude...do you even realize that they changed the art direction so its more adult?

RevenantKioku said:
I'm sorry, are you trying to imply that the original games had a "mature" theme? It's writing, while interesting, was very childish.

You can have a mature theme, and still have simple writing. They don't always go hand and hand together, although the great games usually have both. You can also have simple writing in a great game. It depends on how the writing is handled.

However, for it's time Fallout had solid writing that touched on themes and elements that a lot of games in that era didn't. Obviously it's setting was the more groundbreaking element, and the story was a far cry from the "Slay the Dragon" or "Save the World" themes in other games, but it also pushed the genre in some new directions in other ways as well.

That said, I would expect the third game to advance some of those themes a lot further and have a more mature theme considering the advances in technology and storytelling in games over the past few years.

RevenantKioku

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You can have a mature theme, and still have simple writing. They don't always go hand and hand together, although the great games usually have both. You can also have simple writing in a great game. It depends on how the writing is handled.

However, for it's time Fallout had solid writing that touched on themes and elements that a lot of games in that era didn't. Obviously it's setting was the more groundbreaking element, and the story was a far cry from the "Slay the Dragon" or "Save the World" themes in other games, but it also pushed the genre in some new directions in other ways as well.

That said, I would expect the third game to advance some of those themes a lot further and have a more mature theme considering the advances in technology and storytelling in games over the past few years.
Fallout's writing reminded me of a teenager who realized he could write "****" in his diary without mommy and daddy getting mad. I don't say this is a "bad" thing because I'm not looking for outstanding writing in games. But I don't think Fallout really deserves the respect it gets.

Top Bottom