• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need our fantasy RPGs grimey again

RevenantKioku said:
Fallout's writing reminded me of a teenager who realized he could write "****" in his diary without mommy and daddy getting mad. I don't say this is a "bad" thing because I'm not looking for outstanding writing in games. But I don't think Fallout really deserves the respect it gets.

fallout 2 at least had pretty superb writing. They had alot of elements that paralelled present day situations (the Tom Cruise scientology thing comes to mind) that were clever and interesting in Black Isle's typical dark humor. I think fallout doesn't get enough respect

RevenantKioku said:
Fallout's writing reminded me of a teenager who realized he could write "****" in his diary without mommy and daddy getting mad. I don't say this is a "bad" thing because I'm not looking for outstanding writing in games. But I don't think Fallout really deserves the respect it gets.

I guess differing points of view then. For me Fallout was a great game. Very different than anything else out at the time. Of course, that was also nine years ago, and things have changed a lot, but back then, it was a breath of fresh air. Both Fallout and Fallout 2 are classics in my opinion.

RevenantKioku said:

Forget it I'm not taking the bait this time.

Sick of this attention-whoring "hey I have a random stupid opinion!" bullshit.

Safe Bet

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Both Fallout and Fallout 2 are classics in my opinion.
I want to be able to download them to my console...

I'm sick of hearing about them. :p

[Picard]

Make it so...

[/Picard]

Safe Bet said:
I want to be able to download them to my console...

Um you can get both games in a doublepack for like $10. Granted you won't get the spiffy spiral-bound manual but hey!

Also I think when the OP was talking about "grimey" games he didn't show any interest in clean guys wearing nice suits and looking like they hopped out of GQ covers, hence the lack of Megaten.

I thought the old "AD&D bookcovers" example was good. When you go out on an adventure you'd expect to get dirty.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I guess differing points of view then. For me Fallout was a great game. Very different than anything else out at the time. Of course, that was also nine years ago, and things have changed a lot, but back then, it was a breath of fresh air. Both Fallout and Fallout 2 are classics in my opinion.
Oh it was very different, I'll give it that. I still think the battle system is top notch and want to secure a version of Tactics one day (did that get an OS X release like the other two?) Once I secure an OS X copy of Fallout 2 I'm going to give it it's true due playthrough that I never did, but the hours I've put into it so far didn't really give me the dripping wet sensation a lot of GAFFERs seem to have about it.
PepsimanVsJoe said:

As they say, put up or shut up.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Um you can get both games in a doublepack for like $10. Granted you won't get the spiffy spiral-bound manual but hey!
Not the OS X versions though. ;_;

RevenantKioku said:
As they say, put up or shut up.

No I'm sick of your worthless ****ing opinions in general. I'm not going to bother arguing them because you just dance around singing "LALALALALA I'M NOT READING!!"

You regularly trash everything that doesn't agree with your personal tastes which represent .01% of the gaming community as a whole. Your schtick is old, tired, and terribly unfunny. Nevermind I took the bait. Oh well.

Nevermind ignoring is so much easier.

Tain

This is a very stupid thing to assume. Don't do it.

I had no clue that Fallout's writing was even on the radar as to why people liked it.

mugwhump

I think he's talking about how cartridges are greasier than disks. Maybe he wants us to smear our games with chicken fat?

Mashing

Fallout's writing is pretty crappy when you compare it to something like Planescape: Torment (which is ironic considering they came from the same developer). Then again Planescape: Torment is the creme-de-le-creme of video game narratives.

With that said, Fallout's narrative was pretty good I thought. I enjoyed the dialog.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
mugwhump said:
I think he's talking about how cartridges are greasier than disks. Maybe he wants us to smear our games with chicken fat?
I support this delicious revolution!
Mashing said:
Fallout's writing is pretty crappy when you compare it to something like Planescape: Torment (which is ironic considering they came from the same developer). Then again Planescape: Torment is the creme-de-le-creme of video game narratives.

With that said, Fallout's narrative was pretty good I thought. I enjoyed the dialog.
I have the discs of a fellow gaffer's Torment sitting in a box. I've fancied playing it now and again, but my first try was quite infuriating. The interface left a lot to be desired I thought. But anyway, would you say the opening sequence is a good judge of the whole game? Because I didn't find it particularly interesting, but then again most game openings aren't really that good anyway.

Ranger X

Aren't most American RPGs exactly what the thread starter is looking for?
Or maybe he can't stand american style RPGs...?

robo_robo

I can't really comment on games writing considering my english is average at best but I though Oblivion was a great "grimey" rpg.

But yeah if you only like JRPGs, you'll have to deal with all the fruity ones.

Mashing said:

Planescape is an incredilbe game have to agree with you there. More games like that would fit the bill too. A proper sequel would be great, although unlikely it seems now.

Ranger X said:
Aren't most American RPGs exactly what the thread starter is looking for?
Or maybe he can't stand american style RPGs...?

Kind of what I was thinking. The OP's complaints seem to stem from playing too many JRPG's on consoles. Get your RPG fix on the computer for a different take I suppose.

RevenantKioku

Brobzoid said:
is planetscape a AD&D game?
Yeah, Planescape is one of the more neglected (has it been dropped?) D&D worlds. Was there ever a good Ravenloft game?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Brobzoid said:
I thought this thread would be about grimer the pokeman =(

1157775914442.jpg

PepsimanVsJoe said:

It's not attention whoring. RK really is that stupid.

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, Planescape is one of the more neglected (has it been dropped?) D&D worlds. Was there ever a good Ravenloft game?

Ravenloft was my most favorite campaign. I really wish they hadn't dropped it for the mundane swords and sorcery bullshit.

I would've loved someone like Black Isle to make a Ravenloft game.

RevenantKioku

Oh wait!
ib.jpg

Fuk yes!
Not only do I own this monstrosity, it crashes PS2s.

ToxicAdam said:
Dark Cloud 2 shows you how you can do "cartoony" yet still have a distinct, grimy look about it.

Like always, it comes down to art direction. Most JRPGS don't have it.

Solution: play more than typical j-rpg's (or discover the Shin Megami Tensei series, or Shadow Hearts -- really just play more games). BTW, Zelda ≠ RPG, it's an action/adventure game. If Zelda's an RPG then so is Bully.

It's not defined as an RPG by any of the major publications i read frequently, like EGM, Gamespot, IGN etc...all of them say (Fantasy) Action/Adventure.

TekunoRobby said:
I would really like to play a steam punk RPG.

Try Arcanum, or maybe Final Fantasy VI, VII, or VIII (they all have steam punk themes throughout -- depends how much Steam Punk you're lookin for). But Arcanum is THE steampunk CRPG.

Top Bottom