• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

keanerie said:
For those who have finished the game, which is your favorite puzzle?

Mine is
when Mila collapses and you have to close the DS to "bring" Kyle's face "closer" to hers.
That was a great "wtf am i supposed to do? oh it can't be...oh wait IT IS godDAMN" moments.

Agreed. That was one of the more clever puzzles I've run across in gaming in years. Sadly I had to use a FAQ to figure it out but instead of getting that "oh what a dumb puzzle" feeling you get normally when you find the solution for a puzzle you're stuck on, that one struck me as very smart.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Stoney Mason said:
Agreed. That was one of the more clever puzzles I've run across in gaming in years. Sadly I had to use a FAQ to figure it out but instead of getting that "oh what a dumb puzzle" feeling you get normally when you find the solution for a puzzle you're stuck on, that one struck me as very smart.

Man, I hate using FAQs, even though I also used one yesterday. I was stuck at Chapter 3 for over a hour, and it was getting to me. I checked out EVERYTHING twice (well, that was what I thought anyways).

The part I got stuck:
Didn't know what to do with that god damn pencil, I tied using everything (cleansers and etc), but never what you should do. I guess I misread it, cause I though there was ink on the pencil which made it unreadable. Also, I couldn't find that "bookmark" in the box nor Melissa to give the doll. In fact, almost everyone was gone at this point.

Not a puzzle or anything, but god damn that was frustrating.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Man, I hate using FAQs, even though I also used one yesterday. I was stuck at Chapter 3 for over a hour, and it was getting to me. I checked out EVERYTHING twice (well, that was what I thought anyways).

The part I got stuck:
Didn't know what to do with that god damn pencil, I tied using everything (cleansers and etc), but never what you should do. I guess I misread it, cause I though there was ink on the pencil which made it unreadable. Also, I couldn't find that "bookmark" in the box nor Melissa to give the doll. In fact, almost everyone was gone at this point.

Not a puzzle or anything, but god damn that was frustrating.

I had to use an FAQ twice. Once for the puzzle I mentioned and the other for the
pen and the writing on it

I would have been stuck on those two for days if I would have ever solved them. Especially the second which I thought was one of the few cheap puzzles in the game. Thankfully nearly all the puzzles were logical. Certainly an enjoyable graphical adventure that manages to get stronger as it progresses.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Nick said:
I want to buy this game really bad. I think I'm going to do it.

I think that would be the correct choice.

Another Code (or for you americans, Trace Memory) showed innovative new ways of playing, but it fell short anyways. It was a promise of great things to come, though. And there are no broken promises in this Hotel Dusk, it seems.

Hi chaps. Long-time lurker - been reading a few impressions on Hotel Dusk on here, and thought I'd post this. Finished the game the other day, and now on my second run-through.

I'm starting a campaign for a big ol' PAL release...

http://www.pressstartonline.co.uk/view.php?item=252 (entire story posted below, so I'm not accused of advertising!!)

Don't you hate it when you play a game that you love, and that you encourage everyone you know to buy, but which just doesn't wind up being the commercial success it deserves to be? I'm talking about games like ICO, games like Rez. Games like Chibi-Robo.

And, in this particular instance, I'm talking about Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - a cracking, atmospheric adventure game which harks back to the 16-bit days when the point-and-click genre was at its peak. Make no mistake, Hotel Dusk has writing that's up there with the likes of Beneath A Steel Sky, and shows a dark wit comparable to the Monkey Island games. It's not as flat-out funny as the adventures of Guybrush and LeChuck, but then it's not meant to be. It's a slow-burn mystery story that's twistier than a bag of slinkies, and it's bloody great.

I've imported this game from the US, where it appears to have been released on a very small print run, with very little promotion indeed, and where people are struggling to pick up the game from their regular game stockist. While it's possible word-of-mouth could lead to another run, and maybe some half-decent sales, it's likely to remain a cult hit at best.

This isn't right. So let's try and rectify the situation if and when it hits these shores. Hotel Dusk hasn't been confirmed for a PAL release yet, but PSO is hereby starting a campaign not only to get the game released here as soon as possible, but to get it sold.
Now Nintendo of America went to great pains to promote the almost equally-excellent Elite Beat Agents, which sold well if not spectacularly. Why didn't they do the same for this game?

Let's consider for a minute the Touch Generations label, which is designed to appear on DS games that suit more casual players. Actionloop, which was released on Friday over here, is one example of a game falling under that banner. Hotel Dusk is not a Touch Generations game. But it damn well should be!

I can't think of a recent game that would be so suited to any relatives who've been bitten by the gaming bug with Wii. Here is a title which Nintendo are describing as an 'interactive novel' - well let's get people interacting! People read books all the time - imagine your mum or dad reading a crime novel in bed. It's not such a giant step to see them moving from flicking through the latest John Grisham to holding their DS like a book (as Hotel Dusk requires you to do) and tapping the touchscreen to work their way through the story. Hell, some of them will even be used to that from Brain Training. It's not a game that requires twitch reflexes or immaculate timing; it's a detective story that could have a really wide appeal, if only Nintendo would promote it and target the markets they're said to be aiming for these days.

So PSO is starting a campaign to get Hotel Dusk a major PAL release. It's bound to make it to these shores, but let's see NoE really push this; advertise it, bring it under the Touch Generations umbrella, and get it sold to those who've had their brains tested by Dr. Kawashima but who fancy a new challenge.

I'm hereby setting the wheels in motion to get this campaign promoted all over the internet, and hopefully people will pick up on this and support us.

So, are you in, or are you out? You can make a difference, people. Join our campaign, and make things happen. The official thread for discussion of this can be found on our forum right here, or you can just add a comment below to show your support.

Let's not let Hotel Dusk become just another 'forgotten classic'.

The rantings of a lunatic, or just somebody who bloody loves games? You decide.

Ridicule away!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
not a whole lot going on in that first chapter, is there? one of the longest hours i've spent with a game. i am curious to see where the story goes, though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No cam phone either. The captian?

"This is liking finding out your girl's your sister or something'. It's messed up."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH. Wow. Didn't see that line coming. :lol

How do I get the
change for the vending machine? I found all the stickers, added up their sum, but I don't know what to do now. It says get change at the front desk by putting the number in the machine. What machine?

Mejilan

Chapter 4, I think. When Jeff is at the front desk ranting about the theft. AFAIK, that is the only opportunity to present your cash to Dunning, at which point he'll exchange a buck for four quarters.

Beat it. Fantastic game. Whipped through chapters 7, 8, 9, and 10 all tonight. Whew. Over 22 hours clocked.

Mejilan said:
Chapter 4, I think. When Jeff is at the front desk ranting about the theft. AFAIK, that is the only opportunity to present your cash to Dunning, at which point he'll exchange a buck for four quarters.

****. I hate one-time stuff like that in games, especially in a game like this where I really don't want to replay it. I'm guessing there's something cool I missed by not trying to turn on the TV during TV hours too?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
drohne said:
not a whole lot going on in that first chapter, is there? one of the longest hours i've spent with a game. i am curious to see where the story goes, though.

Yeah, I was kind of caught off guard by how slow the first chapter was. Things pick up at the end of Chapter 2.

Mejilan

The coins and vending machine goods are purely optional. At best, they might affect a line or two in the ending (without affecting WHICH ending you get). At worst, they're just easter eggs.

TV. News station or cartoon station (pinky rabbit puzzle cartoon).

Kinda surprised that the ending (normal, not best) had some loose ends, which to my understanding, don't even get resolved in the best ending.

I just finished the game and am going to play it a second time, what an awsome game, maybe my favorite DS game so far. 10/10 and GOTY so far, and Kyle Hyde is the man, most video game characters need to be like him.

Mejilan

I think I'm gonna give myself half a year, then replay Trace Memory (new game +) followed by Hotel Dusk again (new game +).

keanerie

Linkzg said:
I just finished the game and am going to play it a second time, what an awsome game, maybe my favorite DS game so far. 10/10 and GOTY so far, and Kyle Hyde is the man, most video game characters need to be like him.

Great game, indeed. I don't know about 10/10, and it's a bit early to call anything a GOTY, but this is certainly one of the most memorable games I've played in a long while. It's a game that sticks with you, not in terms of its gameplay or content per se, but in its atmosphere and world. Saying goodbye to all those characters was a surprisingly moving experience for me, and really a testament to the quality of the game's writing, art, design in the depth of the characterization of these people. And it was sad to tap the screen to open the doors and the very end and leave the Dusk. You know you have to do it to end the game but you really don't want to leave. Great game with some extremely nagging flaws, but overall a fantastic experience.

keanerie said:
Great game, indeed. I don't know about 10/10, and it's a bit early to call anything a GOTY, but this is certainly one of the most memorable games I've played in a long while. It's a game that sticks with you, not in terms of its gameplay or content per se, but in its atmosphere and world. Saying goodbye to all those characters was a surprisingly moving experience for me, and really a testament to the quality of the game's writing, art, design in the depth of the characterization of these people. And it was sad to tap the screen to open the doors and the very end and leave the Dusk. You know you have to do it to end the game but you really don't want to leave. Great game with some extremely nagging flaws, but overall a fantastic experience.

well, so far its GOTY for me, so its better than Lost Planet and Wario Ware of the games ive played so far, but I do think the game is a 10/10 and so refreshing to play. The ending was great, I liked
how as you leave you see or hear from the people you helped and see how they changed, but I wish that you could have seen Iris at one point or when Mila goes with you in the car, you see Rosa infront of the hotel or something like that.

RaidenZR

Well you can add me to the list of people who's beaten the game, loved it in total, and enjoyed the journey immensely. The puzzles were hit and miss, and some of the touch screen ideas ranged from simple to abstract but I was entertained by them throughout.
The last major one in the basement room you get locked in was the only one that really annoyed me, mainly because I don't feel you get the chance to really do it on your first try. The time limit was just too unforgiving.

The story was incredibly satisfying, though. I really felt an attachment to the characters through their dialogue and the incredibly well-executed caricitures. Their limited animation and emotive states sold them for me. The way Melissa does her gaping elation or Louis' slacker mannerisms and phrasing, it was all just grounded in a reality I could imagine and identify with. Now that it's over (and this may be borderline corny for a lot of people) I feel like I'm losing connection with these people. Like losing friends or something. This kind of reactiion for me rarely occurs in any medium, but my favorite books, movies, and such have done it and I gladly associate Hotel Dusk with their company. Having not revisted the Storage Room near Rosa's quarters until the post-Dunning confession, I really felt the weight of the night's happenings. This was triggered by seeing the Christmas tree amidst the stack of boxes in the back of the room, still adorned with the decorations. It was a lonely game at times, littered with humor and wit, but always- ALWYAS tangible in its reality. That was something I totally connected with and admired.

My hat is off to Cing. Not because they did OMG gameplay concepts with the DS or for some technical whozamijazz that other developers couldn't pull off, but because the engaged me with content. TRUE content. I look forward to wherever they go from here. They definitely have some great talent at that studio.

My favorite line:
"Holy crap! She's talking!"

RaidenZR

Also, does anyone have all the jukebox songs listed on their game? I need the names of some to properly tag the tracks.

painey

im into chapter 3 and havent used a guide once :) im proud of myself. Ive been stuck twice but I just did stuff I already did and somehow it worked again.. im stuck now but not even thought about how to fix it, i might be waiting on a cutscene so i will just walk around

dream

In the end, my favorite thing about the game is
that there really is no supernatural nonsense despite the "wish room" hook. I was expecting the story to degenerate into some wacky ghost bullshit and was beyond thrilled to see that nothing even remotely resembling that occured.

keanerie

Linkzg said:
but I wish that you could have seen Iris at one point or when Mila goes with you in the car, you see Rosa infront of the hotel or something like that.

Iris is on the roof at the end of the game. Go back and see her.

This is really as much a work of art as it is a video game. Loved every minute of it.

A couple of things:

On the CPR puzzle, I merely tapped Mila's face a few times and she recovered just fine. No clamshell manipulation at all.

About the pen-- I was stuck on that too, and I remember trying to use the flour on it, but I could never get it to work. Eventually I had to read a faq to find out about the chalk.

Also, I got a different ending(Mila didn't leave with me), probably because I got tons of red waves(I initially thought this was a good thing-- as if I was disconcerting or embarrassing the character.)

As much as I like the main character, I hope there isn't a sequel. Seems like the kind of thing that would cheapen the original in retrospect.

In Chapter 10 now.
Locked in the basement room.
Going to finish the game after my classes wrap up at 3:30 today. Can't wait to see how this story wraps up.

Well, I'm a bit behind the times here on Chapter 4, but since some people seem to be having trouble with the circuit breaker, I thought I'd mention that what worked for me on the first try was
pressing and holding the first switch with the stylus, then pressing the second switch with the back of my fingernail. You don't have to make a sweeping motion to flip the switch; just touching it works. Perhaps the problem arises if you're trying to flip both switches simultaneously using flipping gestures?
I can't go back and experiment anymore at this point, but
as long as you keep holding that first switch it can't turn off, so
this ought to work every time.

Mejilan

RaidenZR said:
The last major one in the basement room you get locked in was the only one that really annoyed me, mainly because I don't feel you get the chance to really do it on your first try. The time limit was just too unforgiving.
Ah, you can actually run out of air there?

I passed that room on the first try...

RaidenZR

If anyone could help me out with the following, I'd really appreciate it:

I'm looking for a listing of all the tracks in order that the jukebox shows. I actually don't need all of them (I'll post the names of the ones I'm missing specifically later) but any help would be of use.

I'd also like the name of the composer(s) from anyone who beats the game in the near future.

Thanks all. Happy Hotel-ing.

Hotel Dusk rocks. But does anyone else notice that they often can't pay enough attention to the top screen, because the touch screen's map is too convenient?

Vexidus

A Link to the Snitch said:
Hotel Dusk rocks. But does anyone else notice that they often can't pay enough attention to the top screen, because the touch screen's map is too convenient?

Yeah, I almost never look at the 3d portion while walking around, unless I wanna see something and specifically look at it.. I usually keep my eyes on the map

keanerie

Mejilan said:
Ah, you can actually run out of air there?

I passed that room on the first try...

Yeah after three (?) warnings (Kyle talks about how hard it is to breathe), then you game over. Happened to me.

Final thoughts.

I think Hotel Dusk deserves all the praise and adulation in the world for its unique approach to presentation and damn good writing (NOA's localization crew are getting even better). But I can't ignore the fact that the puzzles are just flat-out awful. I mean, Trace Memory's were bad at times, but they actually made them somehow worse.

Kobun Heat said:
Final thoughts.

I think Hotel Dusk deserves all the praise and adulation in the world for its unique approach to presentation and damn good writing (NOA's localization crew are getting even better). But I can't ignore the fact that the puzzles are just flat-out awful. I mean, Trace Memory's were bad at times, but they actually made them somehow worse.

Okay...

I thought they were good. Nothing too taxing, generally not too obvious(ala Resident Evil). A few were pretty clever. All in all, not a bad effort.

colinp

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Final thoughts.

Nice write up. The gameplay failings are exactly what are keeping me from picking the game up. If I want a great story I think I'd rather read some great literature. Pity, but damn do absurd adventure games piss me off.

Mejilan

There's actually nothing absurd about HD's puzzles, IMHO. Everything about the game is grounded in reality, including the solutions.

keanerie said:
Yeah after three (?) warnings (Kyle talks about how hard it is to breathe), then you game over. Happened to me.

I only got to the second (dizzy?) warning, IIRC.

Mejilan said:
There's actually nothing absurd about HD's puzzles, IMHO. Everything about the game is grounded in reality, including the solutions.
To get out of the airtight room, you
figure out a code in a letter
, which magically, through absolutely no cause-and-effect action at all, makes
Louie show up at the door

To
fix the doll and get the wine label
, you have to use stuff which is sent to you for no reason out of the blue in a box from your boss, Deus Ed Machina.

Any idiot would just
stick his friggin' pinky finger into a cassette tape to wind it

As I said, most of the time the gameplay is just easy; the few times that I became stuck it's because it's completely random and there's no way to figure out what to do next except go everywhere and click everything.

Narag

Kobun Heat said:
To
, you have to use stuff which is sent to you for no reason out of the blue in a box from your boss, Deus Ed Machina.

Weren't those described as Red Crown product samples?

Narag

Kobun Heat said:
If that's enough justification for you as to why they're sitting there, please do not ever write fiction.

Would you have preferred the
adhesive remover
to be in the tool box and the
mini sewing machine
to be a loaner from Rosa?

Kobun Heat said:
But I can't ignore the fact that the puzzles are just flat-out awful. I mean, Trace Memory's were bad at times, but they actually made them somehow worse.

Someone needs to inherit demi's old tag, immediately. Unless they're about a music rhythm game like EBA, your impressions are usually pretty off (Oblivion, Hotel Dusk, and most likely DKR, all come to mind). :lol I'm just teasing, of course. You can't agree with everyone afterall.

Mejilan

Kobun Heat said:
To get out of the airtight room, you
figure out a code in a letter
, which magically, through absolutely no cause-and-effect action at all, makes
Louie show up at the door

To

Any idiot would just
stick his friggin' pinky finger into a cassette tape to wind it

As I said, most of the time the gameplay is just easy; the few times that I became stuck it's because it's completely random and there's no way to figure out what to do next except go everywhere and click everything.

I was kind of keen on the
date = code
thing ever since the game made a big deal about the
12/5 date thing way back in Dunning's office
, only to drop it. The way things turned out in the
sealed room
pretty much removed "red herring" status to that earlier moment, IMHO.

As to Louis, it was agreed upon that he'd go looking for Hyde after an hour. I don't know the physics of it all, but it wasn't completely inconceivable to me that it'd take one solitary, relatively collected and reserved soul like
Kyle the better part of an hour to exhaust the air of a room of that size.
Not inconceivable at all.

In my youth, I've been witnessed occasionally
rewinding a Beastie Boys tape with a prop. Never liked how it felt against my fingers. And once it became clear that the pen was too smooth, I immediately recalled the pencil, which was but one of MANY items I had been wanting to remove from the suitcase since Chapter 2.

Even MORE than the seemingly useless suitcase items, I really wanted to grab the items sent by
Ed, and once you got an opportunity to use the mini-sewing machine, it became clear that the adhesive remover would also come into play later.
It was obvious, and when
the wine label scenario presented itself, my mind immediately traveled back to the adhesive remover.
Contrived a bit? Perhaps, but not unreasonably so, and not nearly as random a WTF puzzle as most games in this genre tend to have.

Top Bottom