• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Narag

Mejilan said:
Perhaps, but not unreasonably so, and not nearly as random a WTF puzzle as most games in this genre tend to have.

I've yet to forgive Al Lowe for the Leisure Suit Larry 3 knife sharpening. Of course this was years ago and it may be more obvious now but I was stuck on that forever.

HDTMconnection.jpg

Sorry the first pic is kinda dark. But I think this is pretty much proof of my theory that the captain in Trace Memory is Rosa's Husband(first pic). Trace Memory - Hotel Dusk connection found!

Psychlock BROKEN!

The other one is a bit more obvious:
Mila being hospitalized at Robbins Hospital...Ashley Mizuki Robbins... Sure it doesn't fit as logically as the captain thing, in the time line, but this one is possible at best.

I'm sure the first one is right!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well done. The connection is quite obvious IMHO.

BTW, can you please remind me what Ashley's parents did again? I remember that her mom (Sayoko?) was a Japanese scientist? Her father was an American scientist right? Or was one of them a doctor?

Mejilan said:
Well done. The connection is quite obvious IMHO.

BTW, can you please remind me what Ashley's parents did again? I remember that her mom (Sayoko?) was a Japanese scientist? Her father was an American scientist right? Or was one of them a doctor?
That's where my second theory falls short. They were both American scientists (Sayoko probably is from Japan because of her name/looks and giving Ashley the middle name 'Mizuki' which means beautiful moon). They lived in the Washington state area, which is on the same coast... I'm going to keep looking into the second one.

But the first at least established that they happen in the same universe. With that established, we can begin the hunt for more connections. Like Rachel totally being related to Jessica (Ashleys aunt, who was a High school chemistry teacher).

Seriously.

Mejilan

Rachel? Who's Rachel?

I could have sworn Ashley's mom was Japanese, and her dad American. My bad. :(

I really need to replay Trace Memory.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Erm, Ch. 10 help plz. Once you and Louie
are stuck together after you get out of the basement, what am I supposed to do?

Knock knock?

Who's there?

Profit

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
****ing hell, I know you made the thread but could you spoiler tag your whole post and post a link of the pic instead of hotlinking it -_-

Mejilan

Error2k4 said:
****ing hell, I know you made the thread but could you spoiler tag your whole post and post a link of the pic instead of hotlinking it -_-

Yours is an understandable complaint, but to be quite honest, that knowledge has no real bearing on EITHER game. The link is more of a ... fun little easter egg.

Quick GAF, help me out:

I'm stuck, beginning of Chapter 3 I think?
I got the pen and the doll and just walked the old woman down to the restaurant, but now I can't figure out where to go or what to do.
Any help?

hoqhuuep

whatdidyousay said:
Quick GAF, help me out:

I'm stuck, beginning of Chapter 3 I think?
I got the pen and the doll and just walked the old woman down to the restaurant, but now I can't figure out where to go or what to do.
Any help?

This is probably the worst part of the game for one to try and figure out. Look for
chalk or flour
to read it.

Error2k4 said:

My bad...Well I really am sorry that I spoiled the fact that Rosa was married.

Sorry? But seriously, the game barely even points you in this direction. You see the picture on the wall (he's not a character), and then Rosa briefly mentions he's a sailor. I'm sorry though.

Mejilan said:
Rachel? Who's Rachel?
Think deep sweetie. You know this handsome...One of Red Crown's employees that's not Ed...

Mejilan said:
I could have sworn Ashley's mom was Japanese, and her dad American. My bad. :(

Your right. It never really goes in to much detail on where her mom's from. I do know that their research on Trace was done in the US. She could have come to the US. Or born in US.

I'm being too technical...

Mejilan

Whoa. Rachel brain fart. She's a hottie too. Haha. You're reaching with that though, no? I mean, there wasn't even a HINT of a relation there. Or did I miss something?

Yeah, I do remember the Robins living/working in the US.

Mejilan said:
Whoa. Rachel brain fart. She's a hottie too. Haha. You're reaching with that though, no? I mean, there wasn't even a HINT of a relation there. Or did I miss something?

Yeah, I do remember the Robins living/working in the US.
Nah, they look similar though right? Yeah, mostly wishful thinking. I doubt Cing put tons of references. But with the possible connection established, there's no reason there can't be more...

The Robbins lived in the US, but it's possible that Sayoko lived in Japan. If not her parents did. Your right.

Completed, I loved this. The best part for me was definitely the characters, loved all of them. My favourites being Louis, Kyle and Rosa. I liked the story too, but it didn't build up as well as I initially hoped, but it's still really great and I thought the piece that plays when you are in the
basement
was just amazing and moody. I really had a great time and the story wrapped itself up nicely.

Nice connection there about Rosa's husband, ButtonBasher.

I'm sorry but I thought the puzzles for the most part were naturally implemented and ultimately satisfying in their logical and simplistic approach. If you overthink, you'll run into problems, but most of the games puzzles are very much grounded in reality and it's what makes it fun for me. Can't say I agree with those who thought they were bad.

Chris Michael said:
Is this game worth the $$$? I really want to buy this and PW2 but I'm short on $$$ and it'd cost me about 60$ I guess.

Depends on whether this kind of game is your cup of tea of not.

Of course giving that it's rooted ina genre I freally like, I'd say it's worth the asking price.

Magicpaint said:
Depends on whether this kind of game is your cup of tea of not.

Of course giving that it's rooted ina genre I freally like, I'd say it's worth the asking price.

well I loved PW1 to death, even the investigation sequences... if I liked that then will I like this?

Chris Michael said:
well I loved PW1 to death, even the investigation sequences... if I liked that then will I like this?

There's a high chance you will. Hotel Dusk features some real time investigation and the writing and characterisation is outstanding.

duckroll

Ending/Epilogue SPOILERS:

There seems to be a BUNCH of stuff in the game that hasn't been figured out 100% yet. Here's what's known so far.

Endings

There are two endings, in one ending Mila follows you, in the other ending she does not. The exact conditions are not exactly known yet but both endings definitely exist. If you have managed to get into Room 220 and gotten Mila's Treasure, there is additional dialogue in the ending where she goes with you.

Epilogues

After the credits of the game, there are seveeral possible epilogues. Most people will get none at the end of the their first playthrough. The epilogues are all linked to the other characters that are "missing" in the story. Jenny, Alan, Grace and Rosa's husband all have epilogues were they go back to Hotel Dusk, but the conditions around these are very vague. They might also be possible only on replays.

Let the GAF Hotel Dusk epilogue hunt..... BEGIN! :D

Man, the stuff about
Epilogues has me really interested. I got the Ending where Mila followed me and Jenny came back home. So the other Ending is not worth seraching for. I was hoping there'd be an even better ending than the one I got.

Yeah, I'm gonna try and avoid red waves and try and see and do everything on my second playthrough...but how do I get into Room 220? Also what do you use the screwdrive and that blacklight for? They never saw use for me :(

I really wonder what it is that triggers these epilogues...I'm on it

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
Man, the stuff about
Epilogues has me really interested. I got the Ending where Mila followed me and Jenny came back home. So the other Ending is not worth seraching for. I was hoping there'd be an even better ending than the one I got.

Whoa, your Jenny came home? Could you share some details about what you might or might not have done in your play through?

Yeah, I'm gonna try and avoid red waves and try and see and do everything on my second playthrough...but how do I get into Room 220? Also what do you use the screwdrive and that blacklight for? They never saw use for me :(

On a second play through, there's a mysterious tape you can get it appears. Playing it back will generate a code which you can decode using the computer in the underground room. Once you decode the message the room will be unlocked.

As for the screwdriver, it's still a mystery just like the Boiler room. The backlight is an alternate solution to getting the number code in the locked room from the piece of paper, instead of holding it against the light source.

duckroll said:
Whoa, your Jenny came home? Could you share some details about what you might or might not have done in your play through?

Dunno, I know that I had a few game over screens, but I never went back to "retry" much, I mostly just went back to the title screen and redid everything, so maybe the game recorded my playthrough as near-perfect in the way of my success in interogating the Hotel Dusk characters. Not much else noteworthy... I used the flour instead of the chalk for the pen puzzle and clocked at around 16hrs. Maybe it'll be best to ask if I did something a certain way compared to how you tackled it on your playthrough, because I can't really think of what exactly I did to get that ending. I assumed it was the ending everyone got. :p

duckroll said:
On a second play through, there's a mysterious tape you can get it appears. Playing it back will generate a code which you can decode using the computer in the underground room. Once you decode the message the room will be unlocked.

Wow, awesome. :D

duckroll said:
As for the screwdriver, it's still a mystery just like the Boiler room. The backlight is an alternate solution to getting the number code in the locked room from the piece of paper, instead of holding it against the light source.

Ah, thanks for shedding some light here. Still a few little mysteries unsolved. GAF must uncover it all.

Well, I just finished the game and think I got a good ending, but I'm not sure it was the best...

Ending Spoilers:

Mila left with me and Jenny came back in the end, but Grace, Alan, and Rosa's Husband were nowhere to be found...

Was that the best ending or is there a way to get more?

Linkzg said:
im thinking of buying Trace Memory now, is it anywhere near as good as Hotel Dusk?

Not even close. Hotel Dusk is about twice as long and far more intriguing.

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for Trace Memory.

Beat the game last night with 37:31 clocked. Great story, but I agree that the ending leaves a little to be desired, although apparently
there's a ****load of stuff that I missed. What the hell, this game has a ton of stuff I didn't get. My ending feels so lame now. No Mila, no Jenny, no epilogue. No Room 220, no vending machine.

I feel like I wasted 37 hours.

The Hermit

That game took you 37 hours?!?

Man, I´ve played for 14 and it almost bored me (the final 2 chapters made up for it :) )

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm doing a marathon run to beat this tonight, and i can't help but get flashbacks to one of my favorite adventure games ever, THE LAST EXPRESS. the rows of passenger cars in that game and the triggered events (not to mention the way the characters are rendered and the unique art style, cel-shaded in this case) you wanna talk about badass main characters, that guy was the coolest and most well-acted dude in any game i ever played. make me think that the guys who made this are fans of that game. anyone who loves this game should find the last express immediately, it's absolutely incredible!

that said, the game is really strong in the character/script department, and it keeps me wanting to play, but i wish there was more meat to it. i don't feel like it's worth a purchase, just a rent and beat.

Baiano19 said:
That game took you 37 hours?!?

Man, I´ve played for 14 and it almost bored me (the final 2 chapters made up for it :) )

I have no idea what took 37 hours. I had 22 in or after the 9th chapter. I must have fallen asleep with it on or something.

RaidenZR

I'm floating this request out there once again-

If anyone has the names of the following tracks in their jukebox, I'd be most appreciated if you passed on the titles here in-thread:

#5 (In between "Silent Moon" and "On The Rocks")

Okay so I beat it
and I got Mila to come with me, that's cool but I really want to know what happened to Jenny and Grace and Alan!

somebody figure it out!

Narag

BrodiemanTTR said:
I have no idea what took 37 hours. I had 22 in or after the 9th chapter. I must have fallen asleep with it on or something.

It counts hours in sleep mode hence my 99hr+ playthrough even though it only took a fraction of that. I just kept leaving it on but plugged in while in sleep mode.

Just finished the game, got the
Mila leaves with Kyle/Jenny returns
ending. I loved every minute of it. It really has cemented CING as one of the companies I'm keeping my eye on. I really enjoyed Trace Memory and now with the simply amazing experience that is Hotel Dusk, I'm eagerly awaiting their next offering.

I have become so invested in the characters of this game, I was hanging on every new revelation about their lifestories. More games need characterization this rich.

As for the puzzles, I thought they were quite enjoyable too. While I felt there weren't quite up to par with some of the brillant puzzles of Trace Memory, I found a few of them to be clever still. I really liked that a couple of puzzles had multiple solutions and/or red herrings. I personally had no problems with the touch screen implementation for the puzzles and didn't find any of the solutions to be illogical.

Great find Buttonbasher on the connection between Rosa and
her husband/the boat captain
. I was really hoping there would be some connections between Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk.
The Robbins Memorial Hospital piqued my interest too.

Questions:

What's the Screwdriver for?

Does anything happen in the Boiler Room?

Do the vending machine snacks make any impact?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
three chapters in, this game hasn't clicked with me at all. i thought trace memory was a charming little adventure game, but dusk seems to pick up from that game's dialogue-heavy conclusion and just run. and the translator hasn't got an ear for dialogue either -- it's alright if dunning says talkin' instead of talking, but his speech is a mess of dropped consonants that map to no accent on earth. perhaps i should hold it to videogame standards instead of book standards...but this is hardly a videogame. the plot seems intriguing, but there's no pleasure in the way it unfolds. i think i'm going to sell it.

i should mention that the visual presentation works much better than the screenshots would suggest -- the little touches of animation are great.

Stuck again (still in Chapter 2 I think):

I got the code (135 I think it was) out from under the file cabinet in the manager's office, and I got the memo and the small red box, but I can't for the life of me figure out what to do next. The other door in the office is locked, and there's still 10 minutes until dinner. Someone help ;_;.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm stuck in Chapter 2...

I just ate dinner, and got the pen. I have no idea what to do now

Reilly

FlyinJ said:
Ok, I'm stuck in Chapter 2...

I just ate dinner, and got the pen. I have no idea what to do now

you have to get chalk dust and wipe it on the pen, duh

obviously, I'm being sarcastic

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Reilly said:
you have to get chalk dust and wipe it on the pen, duh

obviously, I'm being sarcastic

Funny, because that's actually exactly what I'm thinking I have to do.

miguel_c_hammer said:
Not even close. Hotel Dusk is about twice as long and far more intriguing.

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for Trace Memory.

damn, im still gonna pick it up.

and I was so shocked to day because I saw someone playing Hotel Dusk, I didnt think that would ever happen

RaidenZR said:
I'm floating this request out there once again-

If anyone has the names of the following tracks in their jukebox, I'd be most appreciated if you passed on the titles here in-thread:

#5 (In between "Silent Moon" and "On The Rocks")

13 (Bright Crystal?)

That's All I got. The others are still "??"
It's an old save from 1st playthrough. You were the one ripping the songs right? If so, we should get some people that are on a second/third playthrough to help. I want the mp3s now...:lol

RaidenZR

Buttonbasher said:
13 (Bright Crystal?)

That's All I got. The others are still "??"
It's an old save from 1st playthrough. You were the one ripping the songs right? If so, we should get some people that are on a second/third playthrough to help. I want the mp3s now...:lol

Wow, thanks. One down. ;)

Yes, I have the recordings all set here. I just want to make sure all the tags are proper before it's gets distributed. Including the composer's name, which I stupidly forgot to pay attention to. I just don't have the time to play through this game again, unfortunately.

RaidenZR said:
Wow, thanks. One down. ;)

Yes, I have the recordings all set here. I just want to make sure all the tags are proper before it's gets distributed. Including the composer's name, which I stupidly forgot to pay attention to. I just don't have the time to play through this game again, unfortunately.
I might be able to help with the composers name. My save is at chapter 9. Wouldn't be too hard to finish it again.

But again, if anyone is close to finishing then speak up. I don't really want to rewatch the suck ending.

And if you get the chance, you should play until you get to bar. There's more tracks that should be added when you finished. If you have the time...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished the game the first time through last night. My final thoughts, I'll start with the negatives first:

-Everyone's already mentioned it. The puzzles in general aren't that great, save for two memorable ones
Upside down puzzle and Mila fainting.
The
chalk puzzle in particular didn't make any sense. How does dusting chalk or flour on a pen bring back faded letters anyways?
I did like some of the red herrings and alternative solutions they put in.

-Item usage was also a bit annoying. I wish Cing would have taken a page from PW:AA's DS case for how to inspect and manipulate items.

-Some of the background graphics. Portraits of people and items like the
Christmas tree
look like a blurry mess.

-Some pieces of music don't quite fit the mood the game was trying to create. Actually just one piece, but it's the one that's heard most often. The main hotel theme is way too cheery for a dingy place that was Hotel Dusk.

Now that's out of the way, that stuff above I just wrote? Doesn't really matter. Here's why:

- This is one of the best written videogame stories in a long time. I'm a sucker for the mystery genre, and usually I try to absorb the story and go along for the ride without thinking too hard. What a ride it was, absolutely captivating until the very end, and all done
without resorting to the supernatural.
The localization was also beyond anything I'd expect. I thought Treehouse was god after BK:O. This is better.

-Characters were ALL memorable, which is a damn rare thing in any game. Each character had their own nuances and quirks and made an emotional impact on me ranging from annoyance to heartbreak. Kyle Hyde is the best protagonist in an adventure game since Manny Calavera. The graphic style and animation made them come alive. Astonishingly well done.

-About the graphics and animation, what can I say that's not already been said? The characters and the pencil sketch looks striking and gorgeous. I expected that going into the game. But I did not expect this degree of animation, especially for a DS game. I think Kobun touched on it with his impressions, by simplifying the design to bare pencil sketchings, it made the characters become more realistic and alive. I hope more games will follow this style from now on.

-Other than the main hotel theme (which I still like), the music fit the game beautifully. I already mentioned earlier in the thread that Violet Sky and Big Dreams rock. The rest of the tracks are crazy good too. If there's an official soundtrack, I'll buy it. I love the jazzy lounge stuff to death.

-Genuine replay value for an adventure game. I got the crappiest of all crappy ending, so I'm looking forward to replaying it see what happens.

So the game is an interactive novel with some puzzles sprinkled in it. I don't care. I've fallen head over heels in love with it. Thank you Cing for this brilliant effort, and I'm super excited to see what you've got brewing in the future. My admittedly early 2007 GOTY for the forseeable future. Pain in the ass to keep shuffling my top 5 DS games these couple of months though, with EBA and JfA. :lol

Top Bottom