• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're all floating down here, first pic of Pennywise

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't look that much different, tbh. Unless you're talking about the more toothy Pennywise?

Nah. Look at the various gifs in this thread. That's what I'm talking about. This clown has no subtlety to it. It doesn't look friendly one moment and evil the next. It looks like a lowest common denominator watered down not too frightening clown to me (even with painted on angry expression). No effort generic all around. Seems as if they want to make Pennywise good looking and non offensive. I call this the mass appeal pg-13 effect.

Well if they do it right and have a decent budget he should actually be displaying as a clown a lot less unlike the cheap tv production, more Bob Gray taking the form of your fears I say, at least when he's not attempting to give away blowjobs for pocket change.

Yep, this. IT in clown form isn't even close to the whole picture. One of the things I dislike about the old movie's legacy is how that's the only element people really remember, when it's a much bigger and better story than that.

But hey here's hoping it's good!

Not even joking, Tim Curry's version gave me my worst nightmares of my life as a kid.

This picture does nothing for me, meh.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah. Look at the various gifs in this thread. That's what I'm talking about. This clown has no subtlety to it. It doesn't look friendly one moment and evil the next. It looks like a lowest common denominator watered down not too frightening clown to me (even with painted on angry expression). No effort generic all around. Seems as if they want to make Pennywise good looking and non offensive. I call this the mass appeal pg-13 effect.

He's going to look friendly at times in the movie too. This is just a teaser image.

adj_noun

They're remaking It?

d3d19e192d86511fc71fb4cd1b944d29.jpg

So I heard they're remaking It.

What are they remaking?

I just told you.

What did you tell me?

It.

What's it?

The thing they're remaking.

Yeah, but what's it called?

It.

...so it is a film.

A very popular one.

They're remaking it.

That's what I keep telling you.

Does this film have fans?

Many.

When these fans see this film, when they go to the guy selling the tickets, what film do they tell the ticket guy they want to see?

It.

STOP SAYING IT.

But that's what they're remaking!

What are they remaking?

It!

Toth

I'm sure it'll probably just follow a similar plot to the original movie instead of the book, because there's shit in that book that should never, EVER, make it into any adaptation.

I like to see Patrick's refrigerator scene in the movie. Such a chilling read...

I wonder if they will have the leper and old house scene in the movie too. Though
asking a kid for a blowjob may not be very PC today

edit:
The book just doesn't lend itself to a two hour on screen adaptation (as the first attempt proved). Will watch to satisfy my curiosity though.

The TV adaptation was about 3 and a half hours, wasn't it?

Tagyhag

He looks meh, it's not the same clown that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when first looking at the movie at Blockbuster.

To be fair, it's hard to beat Tim Fucking Curry.

strafer

d3d19e192d86511fc71fb4cd1b944d29.jpg

So I heard they're remaking It.

What are they remaking?

I just told you.

What did you tell me?

It.

What's it?

The thing they're remaking.

Yeah, but what's it called?

It.

...so it is a film.

A very popular one.

They're remaking it.

That's what I keep telling you.

Does this film have fans?

Many.

When these fans see this film, when they go to the guy selling the tickets, what film do they tell the ticket guy they want to see?

It.

STOP SAYING IT.

But that's what they're remaking!

What are they remaking?

It!

xShB_5.gif

Verelios

I'm sure it'll probably just follow a similar plot to the original movie instead of the book, because there's shit in that book that should never, EVER, make it into any adaptation.
Yeah...yeah.

The tension sure, they could make that work, but there were some scenes that weren't harrowing or scary. Just disturbing.

BokehKing

Banned
Huh? It's a promotional photo of the sinister clown.

Why we acting like we won't see a jolly happy/creepy version of Pennywise?

I also hate that they're focusing on the clown form again, and also that he looks like Carrot Top, but whatever.
It's the form he is most known for? That's referenced through out Stephen Kings other works from the Dark Tower series to 11/22/63 joint.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Coincidence?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245858

U.S. Marines Seth Ortega and Javier Soch were playing Pokémon Go at a park in Fullerton, California when the game locked up. While waiting for it to unfreeze, they looked up and noticed a man with a plastic red rose approach a woman with three children, KABC-TV Los Angeles reports.

The woman and her children ran away and then called the police. Ortega and Soch continued watching the suspicious man as he approached another mother and her kids, who were also in the park playing Pokémon Go.

“We see the gentleman go approach them again, at this point, me and my roommate start walking across the street and the gentleman actually walks up and touches one of the children, one of the boys, his toe, and starts walking his way up to the knee,” Ortega said.

“At this point I’m running across the street and another gentleman who was walking down the street does the same thing,” Ortega added.

The suspect was arrested for alleged child annoyance, KABC-TV Los Angeles reports, and it was later discovered that he had an outstanding warrant out for attempted murder.

Carcetti

Why not? Compared to the book the old movie's not scary or disturbing at all, plus it lacks the book's meticulous building of the city. The latter's not about to change but maybe they could make it scary this time.

Sorcerer

The book just doesn't lend itself to a two hour on screen adaptation (as the first attempt proved). Will watch to satisfy my curiosity though.

Is it still planned as two separate movies, one with the cast as kids, and then another with adults? No flip flopping in time.

That could work.

never read the book, so what is so bad that it wouldn't make it into the movie?

Jarmel

Banned
Just look at who he is being played by for more evidence supporting my point. Some young actor that will appeal to tweens.

Look I don't expect him to beat Tim Fuckin' Curry but that said it's not like he's going to be in psycho mode the entire film unless they royally fucked up. Much of the book has him displaying this friendly side which makes it all the scarier because the reader/audience knows what he's truly like. If he looked terrifying from the getgo then chances are Georgie wouldn't be floating.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Well if they do it right and have a decent budget he should actually be displaying as a clown a lot less unlike the cheap tv production, more Bob Gray taking the form of your fears I say, at least when he's not attempting to give away blowjobs for pocket change.

They probably won't be using the creature from the black lagoon though.

Good but

Stephen-Kings-It-Tim-Curry.jpg

Not nearly as terrifying. The make-up on Tim Curry was superb.

The long face, no chin, with bulbous bald head and fantastic makeup perfectly complimented Curry's already uncanny expressive abilities. Not to mention the teeth, both the perfect chompers as well as the evil demon teeth. And let's not forget the ridiculousness of the wig and fake nose. All elements came together to make him horrifying.

Looks a bit too try hard and gritty. What made the OG Pennywise so scary was that he looked just like a regular simple creepy clown. Also the actor who is playing him is too much of a pretty boy

This doesn't work. It doesn't work because I'm fucking terrified of clowns and this did nothing for me. It's trying too hard. Clowns are scary because of their happy go lucky visage. This looks like Darth Maul but with this "I'm evil" grin.

Missing the point.

.JayZii

Banned
The old miniseries did a pretty decent job adapting the material (mostly thanks to Curry's performance), but I just don't know if IT can really be effectively converted into a film. Not just because of the 12 year-old orgy, but because of that languid childhood summertime pacing, mixed with the history of the town, the adults slowly recalling what they are even doing and the slow, underlying atmosphere of dread. Someone might be able to pull it off in one movie, but it seems like a really difficult task.

Who's doing this now? The two-parter directed by the True Detective director fell through, right?

Jarmel

Banned
uhh
what

Pennywise put a spell on the sewers essentially making it hard if not impossible to navigate and the kids were freaking out as they realized they probably were going to die down there. She has sex with them as a way of calming them down and helping their concentration.

I think King mentioned later that he shouldn't have done it in hindsight but it's there.

Dizzy

Banned
Not bad. A little too obvious on being a "scary clown" but we'll see how it looks on screen.

What I loved about the TV Movie version is he's just a regular looking clown make-up and costume-wise, but then he'd give that look...you know the one...

giphy.gif
Yeah there's something off with the new one based on that picture. It looks like "evil guy dressed as a clown" whereas the old one looks like a full on whack-job clown.

Pluto

Nah. Look at the various gifs in this thread. That's what I'm talking about. This clown has no subtlety to it. It doesn't look friendly one moment and evil the next. It looks like a lowest common denominator watered down not too frightening clown to me (even with painted on angry expression).
How do you know if the new pennywise doesn't look friendly at times? We have ONE picture. And Tim Curry's Pennywise also had a painted on angry expression when he was angry, just look at the gifs in this thread, his fake eyebrows changed from scene to scene.

This has no sublety to it either:
imageiuug3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom