• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're all floating down here, first pic of Pennywise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

Pennywise put a spell on the sewers essentially making it hard if not impossible to navigate and the kids were freaking out as they realized they probably were going to die down there. She has sex with them as a way of calming them down and helping their concentration.

I think King mentioned later that he shouldn't have done it in hindsight but it's there.

It's been a long time since I read it, but i thought it was more of a love will conquer all type thing. All the kids bonding through sex/love would give them the power to defeat evil. Horrible ending along with It's final form.

Gravidee

They could do better.

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J9bx0q1Tt0

.JayZii

Banned
Maybe I forget (it has been 15 years since last reading) I thought the whole sex thing was that
after defeating penny wise the first time, the kids started to forget the current events (kinda like how all the adult version forgot about Derry in the first place, save for Mike) so they had "sex" so they'd always remember

Then again could be totally off...
I think it's both. I don't see them as mutually exclusive.

They needed to maintain their connection because the town/pennywise's influence was what was causing them to forget and lose their way on the trip out of the sewers. They needed to remember each other and their pact to return if needed.

exfixate

I haven't read It in 10 years or so, but I always got the impression that the moment in the sewers was about the kids transitioning from childhood into adulthood, shedding the childhood innocence that allowed them to be influenced by It so greatly.

It's still weird as all hell, but I thought it at least made sense given the overarching themes of the book.

Anyway, I need a full body shot before I can judge the new Pennywise. Honestly, the voice is going to be the kicker for me.

Apt101

That's Bill Skarsgard? Eh, he didn't really impress me on Hemlock Grove, hoping he grew as an actor and hopefully receives good direction (I am not familiar with any of this directors work).

Tim Curry's Pennywise was scary because he looked like a regular clown. Who preyed on children.

This looks like some Rob Zombie shit.

Herne

Yes, we're all cynical fuckers tired of Hollywood's remake and fuck-it-all-up-bullshittery, but let's not judge it based on a single image. I would've gone with a more cheerful look for the first poster reveal, too, but we all know what the clown is anyway, and putting people who don't know anything of the book or TV film on notice that this is a horror is a good thing.

Sure, it doesn't have Tim Curry, and Fukunaga's version sounded great, but let's wait until the thing is nearly out before we dismiss it entirely for being yet another soulless remake.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I can't wait for this. I love IT but hated the miniseries. It just didn't capture what made the book so great in my opinion and I doubt the new movie will but I hope it at least explores some of the other themes in the book.

But we're getting Patrick Hocksetter so I'm happy.

Zakalwe

Banned
Looks a little generic?

I don't know... I mean, google images of Tim's Pennywise and this doesn't look anywhere near as terrifying.

Of course, it's obscured and only one image. Not feeling it from this, though.

Nibel

To be fair all we have is that close-up now while you guys pull out various GIFs and images with different perspectives

I have no clue why they added those red lines tho, lol

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The book is all kinds of fucked up. You need a production team that isn't afraid of being uncomfortable with some of the scenes. You can leave the infamous scene out, but there's all kinds of fucked up shit.

sullytao

I agree with the people that said it was scarier when it was a regular looking clown. I'm still hopeful that the movie is good but I also worry that it will be a generic horror bad guy with little personality.

Matty77

I didn't like hemlock either. Check out Simon Says http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1694533/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14 if anything, bill is a real good actor. Probably the better of the sons.
Hemlock was loaded casting wise, I wouldn't lay it's many faults(and there were many) on the acting.

As for the stuff about Tim Curry's Pennywise looking innocent or safe that's all on him and the miniseries, in the book the clown is pretty much always off with a tinge of evil. It's more fascination and mesmerizing he does. Pennywise is his public face but it's still awful.

ThisOne

Tim Curry's Pennywise was scary because he looked like a regular clown. Who preyed on children.

This looks like some Rob Zombie shit.
Funny that the movies have always focused so heavily on the clown since he's a relatively small part of the book. The book's ending sucks, as has already been discussed, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with this iteration.

The problem is the story just isn't very good. It needs a Kubrick style reimagining.
I would love that but I know they'll stick close to the source and it'll have that 90s low-budget made-for-TV vibe, which I'm sure fans of the original mini-series will be happy about.

komplanen

Looks like they gave him the Annabelle treatment. Everything has to be run through the Scaryfier2000 for the big screen these days.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You know what was great about the original? It was all Curry. Normal clown makeup but the dudes face was all it needed to be turned sinister.

This makeup just looks sinister.

GhaleonEB

Good but

Stephen-Kings-It-Tim-Curry.jpg

Not nearly as terrifying. The make-up on Tim Curry was superb.

I never noticed how the prosthetic headdress also elongates his head, makes him appear slightly alien. Lots of subtle, unsettling design touches to Pennywise. The makeup was not overtly scary, but he was always menacing.

The OP pic seems to be missing that. My hope is they don't actually have him play the clow as a scary clown. Curry was so frightening because he got that balance between silly and menacing down perfectly.

and rose-tinted glasses re: the overall quality of the adaptation

As a whole, it wasn't that great. But Curry crushed it as Pennywise.

They needed to maintain their connection because the town/pennywise's influence was what was causing them to forget and lose their way on the trip out of the sewers. They needed to remember each other and their pact to return if needed.

Of course. Not arguing that. I just don't remember the whole "getting lost" part...

Then again, it has been a while on my end

obin_gam

A query: does anyone think this will start a king-universe? With this and The Dark Tower being the start of something bigger?

Tim Curry's version is way too comedic nowadays. He's like someone you'd want to hang and have a drink with while participating in his fucked up shenanigans.

Wonder how his less threatening look will be like?

Also echoing my post from the other copy thread:

Not bad. Makeup looks caked on, but in certain scenes in the original, you can see the makeup caked on as well.

I was kinda fearing they were going to go "edgy" with his design and make him look like Heath Ledger's Joker. That seems to be the "trend" with some reboots, like RZ's Michael Myers being all grunged up, or Freddy's alien cat, er, REALISTIC burn victim face, or that proposed design of Pinhead that forgo's Barker's "Being of Order" point of design by creating something more chaotic and disordered with his face slits and pin layout. Gritty reboots tend to suck.

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I've been following this movie's production since it started(they started filming this Summer in Port Hope, Ontario). Some of the behind-the-scenes pictures are pretty cool!

I just barely found out their "childhood years" was moved to the Summer of 1989. At first, I was kinda hesitant given that I love how different the 50s setting was, but being a child of the 80s, I can't have enough movies/shows set in the 80s. I wonder how it will compare to stuff like Stranger Things as far as capturing the era without going too spoofy or too Hipster?

Dirca

How do you know if the new pennywise doesn't look friendly at times? We have ONE picture. And Tim Curry's Pennywise also had a painted on angry expression when he was angry, just look at the gifs in this thread, his fake eyebrows changed from scene to scene.

This has no sublety to it either:
imageiuug3.jpeg

Of course there's no subtlety there, he was getting ready to eat one of the kids. They taste better when they're afraid.

My fear is that this is going to be fan service to all of those that are terrified of the Tim Curry version. In the book Bob Gray/Pennywise isn't in clown form often. In fact, the only time I recall him killing anyone as the clown is when he kills
Georgie and when the town locals throw the gay man off the bridge. Eye witnesses reported a clown dragging the body out of the water and biting in to it.
Ben sees him as a clown when he's coming home from school, and Ritchie and Bill see him in the picture book. The only other clown sighting that I can remember is part of Derry's history where
the town ambushes some thieves. Someone reported a clown leaning unnaturally far out of a window shooting at them.
Outside of that, he's:
a vampire, a werewolf, the crawling eye, creature from the black lagoon, the leper, leeches, a mummy, frankenstein's monster, hansel and gretel's witch, a massive bird, and his arachnid form from "Todash" space which is the tie in to the Dark Tower series
. If he appears/kills as the clown in the book any other times than that, I'm not remembering it. It's been a while since I've read the book.

I read The Dark Tower before I read It, my interpretation in the context of the broader mythos was that with the quest finished, their ka-tet was broken. The supernatural assistance they had been receiving from a complete ka-tet was gone. Kids getting lost in a sewer is a very real threat when there's no cosmic force guiding your actions.

So when I read "that scene," it seemed to me to be an extreme method of reestablishing the ka-tet and the protection it offered.

I never noticed how the prosthetic headdress also elongates his head, makes him appear slightly alien. Lots of subtle, unsettling design touches to Pennywise. The makeup was not overtly scary, but he was always menacing.

The OP pic seems to be missing that. My hope is they don't actually have him play the clow as a scary clown. Curry was so frightening because he got that balance between silly and menacing down perfectly.

As a whole, it wasn't that great. But Curry crushed it as Pennywise.
Yes. I've been at work so unable to post all day, but this is exactly what I wanted to comment. Seeing a picture of him being "scary" doesn't do much for me. It was that jump between scary and aloof. Tim Curry was so damn good as Pennywise.

All in all, I love It so I'm excited to see how this turns out.

My take on it is that their connection and strong bond was what was letting them work their way through the magic and power of Pennywise in the first place, and get through the sewer without getting lost. But this bond was only giving them power because of the turtle's influence. As fucked up as it is, once Pennywise is dealt with and the threat is gone, they start losing their power from the turtle. Having sex was their way of strengthening what remained, taking them from children to adults, to give them power to leave. I'm going to grab my book now to give a quick read-over of this part.

Toth

Of course there's no subtlety there, he was getting ready to eat one of the kids. They taste better when they're afraid.

My fear is that this is going to be fan service to all of those that are terrified of the Tim Curry version. In the book Bob Gray/Pennywise isn't in clown form often. In fact, the only time I recall him killing anyone as the clown is when he kills
Georgie and when the town locals throw the gay man off the bridge. Eye witnesses reported a clown dragging the body out of the water and biting in to it.
Ben sees him as a clown when he's coming home from school, and Ritchie and Bill see him in the picture book. The only other clown sighting that I can remember is part of Derry's history where
the town ambushes some thieves. Someone reported a clown leaning unnaturally far out of a window shooting at them.
Outside of that, he's:
a vampire, a werewolf, the crawling eye, creature from the black lagoon, the leper, leeches, a mummy, frankenstein's monster, hansel and gretel's witch, a massive bird, and his arachnid form from "Todash" space which is the tie in to the Dark Tower series
. If he appears/kills as the clown in the book any other times than that, I'm not remembering it. It's been a while since I've read the book.

I wager that the reason the clown persona was so used is because it was too costly / time consuming to make IT up like the other creatures, especially for a TV movie. Having him stay as a clown just made that persona more frightening.

Also, IIRC, no matter what form he took, IT always had those orange pompoms and in some form. So creepy.

edit: excuse me,
she

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom