• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're gonna need a bigger boat - Massive Great White Shark Mary Lee Found Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WJCL

image3.jpg

She’s back! Mary Lee the nearly 2 ton great white has made her way back to the Low Country and is poised not far north of Hilton Head Island in the coastal waters just in time for July 4 fireworks according to the latest tracking data.

The shark has made headlines around the United States along with her counterpart Katharine a smaller but far-from-small great white that has cruised the Eastern seaboard and the Gulf of Mexico.

Mary Lee is one of the largest sharks to visit the region at over 3,400 pounds and 16 feet long. She was first tagged in 2012 off the coast of Cape Cod, Mass. and has made journeys around the Atlantic

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wonder how many people at Folly Beach and on down to Hilton Head are like FUCK GETTING IN THE WATER!!!!

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I thought so too but apparently the saltwater croc has the strongest bite:

Nature is crazy.

EDIT: Beaten

Makes sense if you think about it. Crocs are ambush predators, and really only get one chance at the strike. They need to be able to hold on, or risk losing their meal. And it can be days or weeks between feeding opportunities. Life or death hinging on the success of each strike is a very strong selection pressure for powerful bites. A white shark at least has the ability to pursue if they miss on the first attack.

AlexMogil

I just looked up in my office which has an 8 foot ceiling. Then I doubled it in my mind. Then I shuddered a little.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_Jaws_1976.jpg

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."

Bossun

Yeah but on the contrary crocs have very weak muscles when it comes to opening their jaws. A human can hold it close with its hand pretty easily if you had the luck to dodge the bite.

Pejo

Still on my bucket list to cage dive with these things. So awesome. I even did my bi-annual log-in into Facebook just to Like that page. Can't wait for shark week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom