• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

SwolBro

Banned
fantastic first episode now lets hope this doesn't turn into another "night of" which also had a fantastic first episode and then went completely flat.

this has so much promise, i hope it delivers.

Sean

Banned
Great premiere. The visuals, production value, cast, music (really liked the use of Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black), everything was top notch.

golem

That was really awesome, cant wait to see how it unfolds

Do they have the whole plot worked out or are they taking it one season at a time?

So damn good. Don't really feel like making a big long write-up (that'll get lost fast anyway haha), but I have to comment on Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black. That was great haha

Karak

Christ. I rarely get too impressed but that shit was straight up hauntingly good.
Took me away from Gears and another couple games to watch it 2 times lol

golem

They already mapped out the storylines of the next 5/6 seasons

This i like

I wonder if the western setting is a controlled biome like Truman show or just a plot of land they happen to own. Also I wonder if there
are other settings like medieval
similar to the movie?

Ep 1 Reviews:
- Onion A|V Club
- Sepinwall
- Alyssa Rosenberg at the Washington Post
- YahooTV
- Rolling Stone
- Vanity Fair

Interviews:
- EW: Westworld showrunners explain that premiere episode
- EW: Evan Rachel Wood

Discussion:
- NY Mag: Our Biggest Questions After Westworld, Episode One
- TV Guide: All the Questions We Have After the Premiere

- "In the Weeks Ahead" promo (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Quick note on spoiler tagging - please spoiler tag any promo/preview discussion or anything about episodes that haven't aired yet (e.g. interview discussion, loglines, and the like), but anything that happened in the premiere (since it's already aired) and speculation based on the premiere is fair game.

Giolon

I don't know what I just watched, but that was fucking weird.

Given that it was originally written by Michael Chrichton, are we watching Jurassic Park 0.5 here? Or maybe Jurassic Park is WestWorld 2.0...

Pretty good premiere. But a few things I don't understand:

- Do the park creators replace all the damaged machines like at midnight or something? Would seem ludicrously expensive to replace these things based on customer whims.

- Is the entire park artificial? It looks like an artificial area with all the green plants, but I can't think of where they could build a fake park of this magnitude. In the beginning I almost thought that everything was a computer simulation, but obviously that didn't turn out be true.

Platy

Quick note on spoiler tagging - please spoiler tag any promo/preview discussion or anything about episodes that haven't aired yet (e.g. interview discussion, loglines, and the like), but anything that happened in the premiere (since it's already aired) and speculation based on the premiere is fair game.

How about speculation based on the original movie ?

I don't know what I just watched, but that was fucking weird.

Given that it was originally written by Michael Chrichton, are we watching Jurassic Park 0.5 here? Or maybe Jurassic Park is WestWorld 2.0...
Basically. Jurassic Park built on the premise of Westworld.

And I imagine Yul Brenner inspired the Terminator

Pretty good premiere. But a few things I don't understand:

- Do the park creators replace all the damaged machines like at midnight or something? Would seem ludicrously expensive to replace these things based on customer whims.

- Is the entire park artificial? It looks like an artificial area with all the green plants, but I can't think of where they could build a fake park of this magnitude.

I think both questions will get clearer answers in time, but regarding the first, I believe their skin and synthetic flesh is replaced nightly (at least, if it's required), while the actual important bits aren't actually damaged by the weapons used by the hosts and guests.

As for the second question, if I had to guess they straight up bought a huge chunk of land in the desert and built the management facility just off-site.

So do Hopkins' comments about diseases being cured and long lifespans imply this show isn't happening in 2016, but much farther in the future?

Pocks

[snip]

EW's review reveals how the guns work, which was discussed quite a bit over the past few pages. Is that considered spoiler tag territory? My gut says no, but I figured I'd run it by you.

SkyOdin

So do Hopkins' comments about diseases being cured and long lifespans imply this show isn't happening in 2016, but much farther in the future?
Well, they have been running a theme park starring robots for more than thirty years now, so it makes sense for the show to be set in 2060 or something like that.

I haven't watched the original movie, but I've seen that it supposedly takes place in 1983. If the show and movie do share a universe and the event 30 years ago was the movie, that would mean it takes place in an alternate 2013 (or 30 years could be rounding and it's alternate 2016).

Otherwise if the connection is just a wink rather than a hard link, I think it's just supposed to be some vague point some time in the not-so-distant future, a few decades at most.

Alternatively, Ford could just be exaggerating a bit.

Whatever it is, I don't think the chronological setting will be strictly defined.

He really nailed the spastic animatronic movements and tics

i'm rewatching it right now and this struck me in the scene with Bill also (the older model down in cold storage)

i didn't notice the jerky movements and sound effects the first time, but watching with headphones makes it really stand out

He really nailed the spastic animatronic movements and tics
Yeah, he really did. Amazing performance by him.

Yeah the actor who played Peter there, Jesus. I don't know if that guy gets regular work but he hit it out of the fucking park there.
If he didn't get it before, he definitely needs some recognition now.

--

And now I'm back to watching the Paint It Black scene. God help me, I can't stop. They need to put this rendition of the song up for purchase, stat. I needs it. Hell, all the music in the pilot is amazing. I want the soundtrack, now.

johnsmith

remember me
Loved it.

Letting a child into Westworld seems like a really awful idea. Like probably one of the worst ideas ever.

FoneBone

When we’re told in the premiere that the park “hasn’t had a critical failure in 30 years.” Are we supposed to take the events in the 1973 movie as canon — that everything in the Westworld film happened in this universe – or was that reference not meant to literally be to the film’s events?

Nolan: It’s playful but not meant to be literal. We wanted to connect to the ideas in the original film, but also take a look at this place as a cultural institution that is not new – because these ideas aren’t new. They stretch back to when Crichton was playing with them. We wanted to consider the park in that capacity, as a cultural institution in the manner of a Disney World. We feel like there’s a long story here. Like there’s something so pointed and sad for us about the idea that Dolores, this sort of evergreen frontier girl next door. She’s been that plucky heroine for 30 years.

Joy: She’s that wide-eyed, innocent, always wondering “Oh, when will my life begin? When will it all start?” in that romantic, existential way in which all people do at that phase in their lives. “When will I find my love?”

Not sure why some of you are so insistent that this is in continuity with the movie.

Loved it.

Letting a child into Westworld seems like a really awful idea. Like probably one of the worst ideas ever.
That was a piece that didn't make any sense to me - how could you keep a kid from the "adult" content?

Still a great pilot.

TheOddOne

EW's review reveals how the guns work, which was discussed quite a bit over the past few pages. Is that considered spoiler tag territory? My gut says no, but I figured I'd run it by you.
Seeing as the source is a recap/review of the first episode that has already aired, it's fair game to discuss/speculate without spoiler tags. If the recap, review or other source (I.E. Promo) has information that goes beyond what has already aired, then spoiler tag it.

That is my general rule of thumb for most TV threads.

Loved it.

The park has been around for 30+ years. Much like Jurassic World, this seems ordinary and accepted in this world.

Now bringing a child to an unfinished test run like Jurassic Park, that's a really awful idea

That was a piece that didn't make any sense to me - how could you keep a kid from the "adult" content?

Still a great pilot.
It's not real. You could say the same for letting a kid watch a violent horror movie if you feel the kid is mature enough. If Westworld is an established institution, it's not going to be that weird for a family in this world

labx

Banned
Holy plothole Nolan's Batman!!!

I missed something or nobody asked for the croupier or the man in black at the end of the day when the staff was collecting all the Hosts/robots?

Dalek

I missed something or nobody asked for the croupier or the man in black at the end of the day when the staff was collecting all the Hosts?

For whatever reason Ed Harris seems to be "off the grid" and his actions don't seem to arouse suspicion.

Speely

Banned
After a re-watch: This is going to be a great show. It's already fantastic in the setup phase, and once it opens up I feel it is only going to get better.

I found that I appreciated some of nuances of the performances more the second time through. Some of these roles are tough given the material, and most of these actors really rise to it.

I missed something or nobody asked for the croupier or the man in black at the end of the day when the staff was collecting all the Hosts/robots?
I think that says more about the character than it being a plothole. He seems to be able to 1) stay out in the world and 2) capture and dismantle hosts, without management realizing or caring

Seems to imply he knows more about the inner workings of the Westworld operations and the hosts than the average guest.

Are guests not allowed out at night? Because while the stories pause and clean-up happens I don't think it's necessarily true guests can't be out, unless I missed something. Also, his veteran status may grant him special privileges anyway.

If not, it's possible someone who has been visiting for 30 years knows how to get around unseen and slip through the cracks, particularly if he has made himself aware of a deeper game that most, likely including the overwhelming majority of staff, are unaware of. As for the missing robot, I believe they only collect damaged and problematic robots at night, the rest just go home and "sleep". It's possible the Man in Black/Gunslinger figured out how to keep the robot from "phoning home" with its damage.

Considering how meticulous Jon Nolan is (which is particularly evident after 5 seasons of Person of Interest) I highly doubt there's any sort of plot hole here. Just stuff yet to be revealed to us.

I was a little peeved by the creators' response to the father's revenge speech. "Holy shit, we created a sentient AI that just told us it hates our abuse" feels a lot more believable in the context of this universe than "meh, it was just quoting an old, old, old programming script or something. Don't worry about it. The other upgraded androids should be fine."

Dalek

I think that says more about the character than it being a plothole. He seems to be able to 1) stay out in the world and 2) capture and dismantle hosts, without management realizing or caring

Seems to imply he knows more about the inner workings of the Westworld operations and the hosts than the average guest.

The fact that there are literal "layers" in the building makes me think it's a hint that there are layers to the magaement and operations of Westworld. The Father character even says to his creator "Do you know where you are?" Which means to me The Man In Black is operating on a layer above even them.

I was a little peeved by the creators' response to the father's revenge speech. "Holy shit, we created a sentient AI that just told us it hates our abuse" feels a lot more believable in the context of this universe than "meh, it was just quoting an old, old, old programming script or something. Don't worry about it. The other upgraded androids should be fine."

I'm quite certain there's much, much more to Dr. Ford. He may have presented it as you described, but I think he knows more about the situation then he lets on, or even is deliberately involved. After all, he is the direct source of the aberrant behavior.

golem

Ok I believe that but the robot that is missing?

Edit: the one that The black man killed

They might have picked him up and just assumed one of the patrons got extra freaky out in the wilderness

You have to remember that they were being observed by others. To make that statement would cause the whole operation to be in jeopardy. If Anthony or Felix are planning a secret robot revolution, it wouldn't be wise to tip off anyone that it is happening.

Speely

Banned

I feel you on that, but it's also worth noting that investing oneself in the business of playing God might lend oneself to more than a little bit of self-delusion.

Edit: golems ^^ explanation makes more sense in the context of the show, actually.

Top Bottom