• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s you stance on bias lighting?

RPS37

I just got a fancy new OLED (LG C2) and I’m contemplating buying some bias lighting.
I was also just gifted an Alexa show and I’d love to be able to control some lights with it.
I had a KS8000 with a luminoodle plugged in before this and I kind of think I’m missing the lights on the back of the tv.

What do you think? Is bias lighting a waste of money? Anyone have my tv with some they would recommend?

OZ9000

Banned
I just got a fancy new OLED (LG C2) and I’m contemplating buying some bias lighting.
I was also just gifted an Alexa show and I’d love to be able to control some lights with it.
I had a KS8000 with a luminoodle plugged in before this and I kind of think I’m missing the lights on the back of the tv.

What do you think? Is bias lighting a waste of money? Anyone have my tv with some they would recommend?
I like it.

Allows me to watch movies/play games in total darkness.

Rickyiez

OLED doesn't need bias lighting , it's original purpose is to enhance the blacks . It does however , helps with eye strain in light off when dealing with bright HDR

I just put up with lights on and some reflections with my C1 , my eyes can't do total ambience darkness

Last edited:
I need to relook up the definition of “bias.”

Had no idea what to expect coming here, am surprised but still not in a good way.

2/10.

Billbofet

Big fan as it helps keep my wife awake for more than 20 minutes at night watching a show. I think the gains in perceived IQ are minimal, but it helps significantly with eye strain.
It would still benefit the almighty, walk on water, perfect OLED for this reason.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would just have a dim lamp somewhere in the room (so that it's not pitch black) and then that would be enough for me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I like it. Let's you have a non pitch black room but without any reflections on the screen.

TylerD

I really like it. I have a USB powered large strip in white stuck to the back of my wall mounted 75 inch Sony X900F. Very pleasant and reduces eye strain to be able to watch TV with all other lights off so that's a positive. I'm not sure if it does increase the perception of contrast. I also like the look of the glow of light that extends around 18 inches out from the TV from the sides and top. It's more like 10-12 inches on the bottom.

GymWolf

Rtx nutjobs are super biased, it is well known.

If this thing is like ambilight on philips tv, i never liked it, i take a dark room instead, please and thank you.

Last edited:

Tams

I have it around my computer monitor and have it on when I'm working, browsing, or sometimes playing games. But for watching films or TV/streaming shows I can't really stand it.

Top Bottom