• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what a suprise psn is down AGAIN

• Thread starter Queen of Hunting
  • Start date

reKon

Banned
I see jaxapollo and Sony taking big L's for different reasons, but the developers of Rocket League won and they'll be eating soon

pizzacat

Banned
Xbox live has been down for Xbox one literally only once and psn was down at the same time and that was a ddos.

The comparison is useless.

Xbox live has been down for Xbox one literally only once and psn was down at the same time and that was a ddos.

Erm. There was a post on the last page about an outage on Wednesday. Sometimes it's better not to post when you don't know what you're talking about. Just saying

dedhead54

I wish I could still access Spotify, Youtube, Netflix, etc. when PSN is down. It just feels wrong not being able to use those services (2 of which I pay for) when my internet is working perfectly fine.

Kinsella

Banned

I visit the Xbox One Reddit quite a bit and there's been tons of service outage warnings. That doesn't excuse Sony's continued ineptitude but let's stop the nonsense about XBL being infallible.

Percy

Banned

Bullshit. XBL was 'down' for me more times during the 9 months following the XB1 launch than it was during the preceding 5 years of using it on 360.

leeh

I thought they can mitigate them with more datacenters to shift user data around? Isn't that why Xbox recovered after 20 something minutes and PSN took 12 (?) hours during the last large DDOS attack?
You can't really do anything. You can implement software features, like blocking the same IP from connecting if it makes multiple attempts in a period of time, or simply refusing connections if over a certain amount come in at one.

With the first solution, this hardly helps as there's botnets of thousands all with unique IP's, with the second solution, your going to block genuine requests and essentially block the service from being used anyway.

You simply need to more servers and a better load balancing solution to mitigate the risk. So, have enough resource to handle whatever traffic a botnet throws at you. MS will use containers to instantly spawn more server instances if the load grows beyond what it currently can handle. If they max the limit of resource they can spawn, then yeah, it'll come down.

Meffer

All your games are locked until you go into the menu and activate your PS4. I can't remember the exact process but it happened to me when PSN went down and it locked all my games. I have no idea why it doesn't automatically activate your stuff.

I did activate my PS4, it's my main PS4.

Trup1aya

This is pretty much bullshit. Compared to reliability on the 360, both PSN and XBL are currently crap...

I've had more downtime on xb1 already than I ever remember having on 360

jadedm17

This is getting intolerable, with extra insult its always when I want to wind down before going to work. Anyone got a log of how many times in 2015? I'd love to know how many and why each time PSN has gone down.

Roto13

PSN webstore went up. Added Rocket League to my cart. Went to see if the other PS+ games were up. Store went down again.

:(

Xbox Live on Xbone has been down twice since I got mine a month ago. Including the day I got it. I couldn't play the download games that came with my system until the next day. The second time it wouldn't let me play Sunset Overdrive, a retail game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You can't really do anything. You can implement software features, like blocking the same IP from connecting if it makes multiple attempts in a period of time, or simply refusing connections if over a certain amount come in at one.

With the first solution, this hardly helps as there's botnets of thousands all with unique IP's, with the second solution, your going to block genuine requests and essentially block the service from being used anyway.

You simply need to more servers and a better load balancing solution to mitigate the risk. So, have enough resource to handle whatever traffic a botnet throws at you. MS will use containers to instantly spawn more server instances if the load grows beyond what it currently can handle. If they max the limit of resource they can spawn, then yeah, it'll come down.
Yea, that's what I said. But I remember reading something along those lines, that Microsoft was able to redirect the consumer data to data center #2 or similar, while data center #1 was still being targetted. Essentially it comes down to investment, Microsoft has the Azure network which spans globally, so they recover faster.

Cause it does affect me. Even though i don't pay for PSN monthly, when the servers are down FFXIV is down too for some dumb ass reason. I probably would have paid for the service if it wasn't down so often.

$7.99/month service at best. The servers are down consistently, the competition never has these issues. Also, it's rarely on sale for $40 a year. To say that's the price is as hyperbolic is what I was spewing earlier. $9.99 and $15 are pretty close guys, come on. The fact is its down too much.

I actually own a ps4 with psn as well as an Xbox and I am pretty active on the Xbox reddit. XBL goes down quite a bit. Neither service is perfect, but nothing really to complain about. Please just stop.

Mr Moose

On the PSN Status page it now says everything is down except for PS Vue.

Weird, its saying sign in is down, it's not for me (though if I keep trying to play an online game it says I need to sign into PSN).

PSN webstore went up. Added Rocket League to my cart. Went to see if the other PS+ games were up. Store went down again.

:(

I managed to 'purchase' it but wasn't fast enough to hit download :(

Not really. They just don't want to see these topics every time someone has a panic attack about psn

Yeah an OT could be used to collect issues and troubleshoot.

These threads seem to lead people who don't have PSN to believe it is "down" more often than it is, like when someone has a connection issue with the store or some other hiccup & others can connect just fine.

It works almost every time I try it, but I work a 9-5 and am currently at work so can't confirm or deny ongoing issues.

jax

Banned
I wish I could still access Spotify, Youtube, Netflix, etc. when PSN is down. It just feels wrong not being able to use those services (2 of which I pay for) when my internet is working perfectly fine.
FFXIV as well. What the actual heck

Cob32

Sony must have took too much work on by allowing the European store to update on Tuesday with the Americans instead of the usual Wednesday.

faridmon

When LoL server is down, I am going crazy and starts to breakdown.
I know your feeling guys, stay strong!
Well except that I don't pay for it

Admodieus

Xbox Friends goes down often, but you can still play games, watch videos, etc. Annoying that you can't party up with friends, but not as devastating as a system-wide outage.

Only really bad XBox Live outage I remember was Holiday 2007

lyrick

Is anyone out there working on pet projects to circumvent these low uptime "Walled Garden" networks and instead offer our consoles a port forwarding solution directly to the game servers leaving all the downtime and paywalls behind?

leeh

Yea, that's what I said. But I remember reading something along those lines, that Microsoft was able to redirect the consumer data to data center #2 or similar, while data center #1 was still being targetted. Essentially it comes down to investment, Microsoft has the Azure network which spans globally, so they recover faster.
Yup, they will do that. I'd love to see the technology behind it, whether it's done at router level or on the load balancers themselves. They'll be able to create the same service anywhere around the globe.

I always remember Sony using AWS, which uses the similar technology, but the resource they have at hand will be a lot lower due to the cost involved since they're 3rd party.

I don't know if this outage is connected to this or not, but last week I listened to the PlayStation Nation podcast and they said their website was among several PlayStation centric websites that were targeted by a DDOS attack. Wasn't GAF also DDOSed last week? I don't mean to speculate, but man if that doesn't sound like the efforts of someone who doesn't like PlayStation.

pizzacat

Banned
Has all of live gone down for you guys or just a certain section like friends?

I could be wrong and sorry for that hyperbole but I mostly play my Xbox and it's never down

So are we calling all PSN being down = XBL friends list being down?

Then you guys got me cornered, I've had the ps4 since bloodborne and I've experienced it down 3 times.

I've had the PSVita longer and I haven't actually noticed if psn gets down there maybe it's different idk

Xbox Friends goes down often, but you can still play games, watch videos, etc. Annoying that you can't party up with friends, but not as devastating as a system-wide outage.

Only really bad XBox Live outage I remember was Holiday 2007

Well that's just not the case. There are Xbox down messages on the subreddit from time to time that affect the main service. Not to mention the big downtime for both psn and xbl last Xmas. Some of you have very selective memory.

My experience is there's only been one day in the entire time I've been on 360 that I've seen it go down entirely for me (I'm aware there was a major outage in 2007) while I've seen my Vita fail to connect to PSN a few dozen times in the year I've owned it. There's no need to argue however - it sucks when we can't use what we're paying for. It just tends to be much more widespread with Sony. Probably won't be playing Geometry Wars 3 today.

ironcreed

Banned
I really am not wanting to renew PS+ next time. I also have Live and never have any issues with it. Besides that, I think that paying for one of these services is enough.

Has all of live gone down for you guys or just a certain section like friends?

I could be wrong and sorry for that hyperbole but I mostly play my Xbox and it's never down

Same here. It's mainly the friends list that goes down when people report outages.

Dingles

Managed to download Rocket League. Now it says "Cannot start the application. Cannot connect to server to verify license." booooooooooooooooooo

etta

my hard graphic balls
Managed to download Rocket League. Now it says "Cannot start the application. Cannot connect to server to verify license." booooooooooooooooooo
Isn't the "Primary PS4" supposed to fix these licensing issues?

Top Bottom