• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some classic cartoons you liked alot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mdcbabQhIK1r07nx5.jpg

Was so confused by this episode when I was a kid.

I can't see eighties as "classic" I'm afraid, though there's plenty of that era that I love.

For true classics:

Tom & Jerry's Solid Serenade is still the best. Love Blue Cat Blues too.

WB wise, Hareway to the Stars is also fantastic - love the design of the martian base. The two wileE/bugs shorts are good too.

Fleischer wise, Popeye the Sailor meets Sindbad the Sailor is superb. Love the Betty Boop ep Bizzy Bee too.

I forgot to post Ren and Stimpy. D'oh!

Speaking of which: I recently bought a Nickelodeon Remember the 90s colouring book for adults. It's called "The Splat."

On the cover, there's a character with a book in his hand, and laying beside him is a pen shaped exactly like a penis, with details and everything.

Thundar the Barbarian was pretty cool. Post apocalyptic sci fi fantasy. Lots of exploring ruined cities iirc.

Dungeons and Dragons was probably my favorite though. I vividly remember a multi headed dragon that kept showing up and antagonizing the heroes, and I liked the mysterious Dungeon Master guy who showed up. Having the characters from the real world thrust into the world of the rpg and assuming the game's classes was cool. (Kinda like Final Fantasy Tactics advance) I remember it capturing my imagination then but I'm curious as to how it would hold up today.

This brings it all back. Apparently it was animated by Toei animation who did a lot of 80's anime I am fond of too.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Not really classic but Ed Edd n Eddy is a perfect cartoon.

Hey Arnold was a staple when I was younger as well.

Kid Heart

Are 80's cartoons really considered classics already? I mean dang, time sure is flying.

If I had to pick one classic I really love it would have to be Scooby-Doo.

Cool monster designs, interesting explanations for the illusions and tricks used by the villains, enjoyable comedy, and a memorable main cast. It's a true comfort watch for me.

I've been watching the most recent series as well, and it is actually way funnier then I expected it to be.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
JlBo5oO.jpg

I think Princess helped form my definition of the ideal woman as a kid.

MooMilk2929

In the case of this thread, I want classic to be relative to whoever is posting. He-man and TMNT ain't really classic old age stuff, but it's still classic to me cause I was a kid when it came out.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I would love some parameters for what we're defining as "classic" cartoons in this thread, because for the most part people are just posting random cartoons from before 2000. Of course, there's some cartoons like Jackie Chan Adventures that ended little more than a decade ago and most definitely shouldn't qualify.

Maybe there's no point in me posting this, but I wanted to be able to see some of the best classic cartoons in here and all I see is 80s and 90s nostalgia for the most part...

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery made a big impression on me as a kid, especially all those villain closeups with that extra shading/definition. Prob an inspiration for Kricfalusi's notorious closeups on Ren and Stimpy.

tumblr_lyfhv2wJB51qeyb9ho2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_lyfhv2wJB51qeyb9ho4_r2_500.gif

tumblr_lyfhv2wJB51qeyb9ho10_500.gif

norm9

Gargoyles.

Darkwing Duck.

Speedy Gonzalez episodes.

Daffy versus Bugs episodes.

Whenever Bugs dressed up in a dress like Milton Berle.

The weird Friday episodes on Heathcliff when it was the junkyard cats.

Fat Albert.

When Tom & Jerry would be friends episodes.

Scary Monsters

Neo Member
Not sure if it is old enough to be 'classic' but Gargoyles is probably up there. Same with ReBoot. For actually old stuff though, Max Fleischer's Superman cartoon from the 40's is great.

Nanashrew

Banned
Lol at the cartoons in the OP being "Classic"
Personally I love Popeye, Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry.
https://i.imgur.com/duMojKG.mp4

To be fair, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Looney Tunes etc., were considered classics even back then in the late 80's and 90's during their rerun revivals. Popeye the Sailor cartoon being 30 by 1990.

By 2020 all 80's cartoons will be between 31-40 years old. 70's cartoons 41-50. Many of them could be considered classics by age even right now.

Looney Tunes will be 90 in 2020.

All of our favorite cartoons growing up are now considered classics.

MC Safety

Wacky Races, The Herculoids, Looney Tunes, Star Blazers, Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Simpsons, Josie and the Pussycats, and Speed Racer.

Porcile

Too many of those random Hanna-Barbera shows which used to play on the UK Cartoon Network in 90s: Captain Caveman, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Godzilla, Space Ghost, Josie and the Pussycats, The Super Globetrotters, Inch High, Private Eye etc. No idea why these were even on UK TV when I was a kid.

woopWOOP

Euro-gaffers ought to recognize these:

Alfredjodocuskwak_logo.jpg
I was mostly thinking of old HB stuff from before my time in my previous post, but both this and Samurai Pizza Cats were the first cartoon series I actually remember watching regularly when I was like 5 or so.
On that note, that Death looking thing from Alfred's opening made me piss my pants. And it's never even referenced in the show outside of that short opening bit. What the hell?
Code:
[IMG]https://one1more2time3.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ajk-hexpri.jpg[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom