• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good roguelike/lites on PS4/5 ?

Mondai

For reference I have the following ones:

- Binding of Isaac
- Enter the Gungeon
- Hades
- Children of Morta
- Astral Ascent
- Nuclear Throne
- Returnal
- Dead Cells
- Risk of Rain 2

Any other good roguelike/lite you peeps can recommend?

World of Horror is a super unique one, it’s a text based adventure format though.

Neon Chrome
Rogue Legacy 2
Returnal
Space Gladiators
Cult of the Lamb
Vagante
Star Renegades
Undermine
Void Bastards
Wall World
Wizard of Legend
Mana Spark
Streets of Rogue
Cryptark
Lovecraft Untold Stories
Everspace 1

Most of these are pretty solid. Became one of my favorite genres when boi Rebirth dropped as a ps+ freebie.

How in the holy hells did I forget Spelunky, one of the pillars of the holy trinity of roguelikes.

I left of card based ones, but there are a few good ones besides the excellent Slay the Spire. Inscryption and the Hand of Fate titles were fun.

Fbh

I recently played through Rogue Legacy 2 and really enjoyed it.
Fun gameplay and combat, I liked the visual style and enjoyed several of the classes.
animated_gameplay_banner_lossless_with_border_resized.gif

The premise is that every time you die you play as a descendant of the previous character. Characters can often have a unique trait which change up the gameplay, sometimes it's just for fun like there's one where your character just really likes Christmas so everything is Christmas themed. But more often than not the traits will have some sort of handicap but in turn will make you earn more money which you can use to unlock new classes, passive upgrades and gear once you die.

It's very on the "lite" part of roguelite in that it focuses a lot on earning money and unlocking permanent upgrades. There isn't the run variety of something like Hades or Binding of Isaac where you constantly get upgrades that can drastically change things up, but if you don't mind that it's a solid game.

Holammer

It never clicked for me, but SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising is fairly popular and very well received.

It's not super popular, but I like Flinkhook by tribute Games.

Similar to Nuclear Throne and the like, Blazing Beaks central gimmick is a greed mechanic where you can debuff yourself by picking up cursed items, they can be exchanged for money, health and goodies at certain places but will weigh you down until you do so. It's pretty innovative, but also the game's biggest flaw because greed kills you 99% of the time.

7565BC38E0635FCFF95A65590BF5B5F6DD1BDF58

What a haul! What a haul! Nyahahahah

TumbleSeed looks and feels like something Japan Studio did after Loco Roco. It's basically Labyrinth (the old marble game) on a 2D axis where you guide a seed up a mountain and avoid enemies and holes.

That's all the worthy unmentioned PS4/5 rogue-likes I could find. Your next step is to buy a PC/Steam Deck to play FTL & Noita.

Fbh

Oh just realized Tokyo Jungle is on ps4 too.

There's a story mode but there's also just a straight up Roguelike where you try to survive as long as possible.
You basically roam around a post apocalyptic Tokyo as some type of animal trying to survive as long as possible as you hunt prey (or seek plants) to keep your hunger in check, avoid predators (and a toxic mist that roams around) and reproduce before you die of old age (and then play as your offspring until they too grow old, and so on).
It has a nice progression in that at first you can only choose stuff like small dogs or a deer but as you play you'll unlock new animals who are higher up on the food chain (there's even some dinos towards the end of the unlocks).

It's also a blast in local co-op

mT9R1t.gif

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Binding of Isaac is the goat in my opinion.

But my obsession the last couple years has been Crypt of the Necrodancer. Hard as nails, but brilliant when you get good at it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Oh just realized Tokyo Jungle is on ps4 too.

There's a story mode but there's also just a straight up Roguelike where you try to survive as long as possible.
You basically roam around a post apocalyptic Tokyo as some type of animal trying to survive as long as possible as you hunt prey (or seek plants) to keep your hunger in check, avoid predators (and a toxic mist that roams around) and reproduce before you die of old age (and then play as your offspring until they too grow old, and so on).
It has a nice progression in that at first you can only choose stuff like small dogs or a deer but as you play you'll unlock new animals who are higher up on the food chain (there's even some dinos towards the end of the unlocks).

It's also a blast in local co-op

mT9R1t.gif
That game is a gem... I enjoy it... But is sad see the dogs are hurt

Last edited:

GHG

Cavity Busters:

Dungreed

Those are two lesser known but brilliant ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom