• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the best depictions of ninjas in films, books, games, etc.?

ScOULaris

tenor.gif
giphy.gif

So I'm just going to be straight to the point here: I love ninjas. I have ever since I was a kid, and my fascination with these agile stealth assassins persists well into adulthood (and parenthood).

With that said, I struggle to find media that satisfies my ninja cravings these days. It seems to me that ninjas simply aren't as en vogue as they once were (I guess the 80's and 90's were their peak). Sure, you have popular anime properties like Naruto, but the depiction of ninjas on that show doesn't align with the representation that I prefer. I'm all about black-clad, impossibly fast, skilled, stealthy, and swift assassins. Their motivations don't even matter to me. I like ninjas both as enemy hordes and antihero protagonists.

So I thought I'd reach out to GAF for recommendations. I'm open to anything, whether it be films, anime, manga/graphic novels, or videogames. I just wanna gather everyone's favorites so I can pick through them to find new media that I have not yet consumed.

I'll round out the OP with some more badass Ninja Scroll GIFs because why not?

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_oot7zq9cjv1tw6hno_500.gif
61d93fcc5adc4dd9558907201d4cd65ff73d16cf_hq.gif

PS - Shinobido 2 is probably my overall favorite ninja stealth game ever, but I've already ranted about that enough on GAF.

Nah. The reality of ninjas as they most likely existed in Japanese history is disappointing compared to them mythical representation of them that has been popularized in popular media.

I dunno. They're basically spies. Which are pretty cool.

Anyway, for games you can play like you're a space ninja in Warframe.

Ninjas in super fiction bore me now. Real life tales of these jerks literally walking into castles or places and setting shit on fire / causing panic are sweet.

SkyOdin

I dunno. They're basically spies. Which are pretty cool.

Anyway, for games you can play like you're a space ninja in Warframe.
Almost everything about ninja was invented by Edo-era Japanese pop culture. Ninja were basically invented by a mix of serialized novels, kabuki/bunraku plays, and other forms of 18th/19th century popular entertainment. The basic costume of the ninja originates from the all-black costumes worn by stage-hands, who were dressed as such to not attract attention as they moved props or controlled puppets.

mlclmtckr

Banned
They were pretty cool in Shogun: Total War. Those little cinematics were cool, the way they could end in either success or failure.

Txαi

The Shinobi series (up to the third one) is my go-to ninja gaming experience. You get to beat Spider-Man, Hulk, Terminator, Batman and Godzilla in a single game.

Guzim

American Ninja and American Ninja 2: The Confrontation were some of my favorite movies when growing up.

Michael Dudikoff and Steve James are one of the greatest duos ever.

Anything with Sho Kosugi

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467563/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

He basically was the big ninja star (pun intended) of the 80s.

And while it's actually made by the Shaw Brothers, a Chinese company, 5 Element Ninja is a really neat film. As it sounds, basically there are five groups of ninjas each associated with an element.

Came to post these. Glad someone else was on top of it.

I won't let anyone tell me the ninja attack in Last Samurai wasn't fucking great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WodaF5t5l3U
It is awesome.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Man Ninja Scroll was the fucking tits.

That era in the 90s where anime was still new and cool and BOOBS and GORE was really cool as a middle school kid/teenager.

Metalmarc

I don't know if it is technically but the film Iron Monkey felt like a Ninja film when i saw it years ago, the 1993 one with Donnie Yen

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
What!? No one posted Rikimaru or Ryu Hayabusa or Hattori Hanzo? Ehhh, surprising. I also like Hotsuma from Shinobi and Strider Hiryu. I like Ninjak as well, although I'm not too familiar with him. My exposure to him is limited to some XO Manowar stuff but he seems like a Batman-Ninja who kills.

Leunam

I only played Tenchu up until the first PS2 game, but it's a great series for making you feel like a ninja. Stealth kills, sneaking around guards, big levels, and gearing up however you wanted for every mission was awesome. The only thing particularly flashy about those games were the stealth kills, everything else was a little more grounded. The characters were memorable (Onikage/Sezaku especially), the enemies were varied (Spanish pirates and Oni!), and the levels felt unique.

I have very fond memories of the series.

Top Bottom