• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the best depictions of ninjas in films, books, games, etc.?

Lucumo

They were pretty cool in Shogun: Total War. Those little cinematics were cool, the way they could end in either success or failure.

Yep, immediately what I thought of. Loved that game back in the day.

But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Tenchu series yet.

Mr. F

Banned
Shadowkhan were dope, if a bit weak

5608969-unclebanishesshadowkhan2.gif

I really like Ninja Gaiden's modern interpretation of not only Hyabusa but the general ninja garb.

I saw some people say they don't like it and want him to have all old school cloth type but that does not make sense in a modern slight futuristic setting. It would make sense for a Ninja these days to have body armor made of modern materials and other gear to make carrying equipment easier.

Lord Fagan

While the movie itself is not a masterpiece like Logan, the previous Wolverine film set in Japan had some pretty cool ninja combat.

The duel against that woman's father wielding two swords right after he regains his healing, and in the snowy village against like 100 dudes with a woodchipper in the unrated version were both wild.

OmegaZero

PS - Shinobido 2 is probably my overall favorite ninja stealth game ever, but I've already ranted about that enough on GAF.

My man. It could be tighter in some aspects of its gameplay (direct combat and maneuvering on tight places like rafters) but I loved the freedom it gave in almost every gameplay aspect.

As far as depictions go I liked the details on the various Zen costumes. The game looked pretty nice for a launch Vita game.

Rydeen

Quoting a post from a previous thread on Samurai movie recommendations:

Iga ninpôchô aka Ninja Wars, directed by Kôsei Saitô, is a super-pulpy, mystical take on ninjas and their battle against a team of sinister Shinto monks with bizarre powers under the command of a powerful sorceror testing the fortitude of a samurai lord and discovering whether or not magic can truly best pure love. A young Hiroyuki Sanada stars as the main ninja hero, lots of blood spray, exploitative nudity and crazy ninpo magic abound. This is as close as you're going to get to a live action Ninja Scroll, as they're both based on the same series of ninja action novels in Japan.

Oh, and Sonny Chiba has a small role as a bad-ass, black clad samurai retainer / secret ninja leader.

EDIT:

Oh snap, how could I forget about Cyber Ninja aka Mirai Ninja? So awesome:

https://youtu.be/VMaY7oQ9Zcw

hard to top the best of the best op, ninja scrolls is just soo good

that been said, i like a lot Basilisk, im a sucker for ninja love stories and shit

also Shinobi no Kuni is one of my favorites ninja based stuff

I'm with you, OP. Ninjas are awesome. It would be cool if they became as popular again as they were in the 80's and early 90's.

gforguava

Considering what constitutes a "ninja" is pretty flexible I'm going to proclaim that Reiko Oshida's Rui from Quick-Draw Okatsu is the greatest female ninja ever, unfortunately the character only appeared once so her taking the all-time crown from Dudikoff's Joe Armstrong doesn't feel right.

Oshida1.jpg

Oshida5.jpg

rui.gif

sarcastor

you fucking kids need to go OG and play Tenchu on the PS1. One of the best ninja games ever.

You could throw poison rice at a guard, have him eat it, cause who can refuse unexplained rice balls found on the ground in the middle of the night, kill him and then somehow retrieve the same ball of rice.

37671-Tenchu_2_-_Birth_of_the_Stealth_Assassins_[U]-3.jpg

gforguava

you fucking kids need to go OG and play Tenchu on the PS1. One of the best ninja games ever.

You could throw poison rice at a guard, have him eat it, cause who can refuse unexplained rice balls found on the ground in the middle of the night, kill him and then somehow retrieve the same ball of rice.

Love the first two games, the original's atmosphere is beyond excellent, but I wish they never strayed into the fantastical. Weird cults and demons are lame, I want to be killing Echigoyas all night, every night.

wUud3Jr.gif

Richard Harrison yo!
FFS, in some of your examples the ninjas don't even has a headband that read "Ninja". It's like they don't care about historical accuracy.

p.s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMC2_SCY7w
I love the scene in Ninja Terminator where the the guy is talking about their clan's 25 year old 'ninja dynasty' while the camera pans across lanterns with pictures of ninjas on them.

Also, Richard Harrison's Garfield telephone. Every true ninja has one.

HeatBoost

Nobunaga's Ninja AKA Ninja Girl/Samurai Master
A fictionally styled but realistic (in terms of plot... relatively speaking...) historical account of Nobunaga Oda's conquest of Japan. The main character is a ninja who isn't too bright, but really good at her job. So much of media portrays Oda as a cackling super villain, it's interesting to see him through the lens of someone who believes in his cause.

If you ever enjoyed the historical cartoons by Disney or the historical segments on Animaniacs, you might like this. A good mixture of whimsical comedy and actual history. And the episodes are only like 5 minutes long so it's easy to watch the first few and see if you wanna keep going.

Speaking of Sonny Chiba...

9Cc8jne.jpg

How about the Shadow Warriors (Kage no Gundan) TV series? The first season especially where he portrayed Hattori Hanzo and was the inspiration for the legendary title screen graphic in Revenge of Shinobi.

9tV8W3p.jpg
rJGg2e5.jpg

retroman

Here are a few good ones that haven't been mentioned yet.

Games: Last Ninja series, Strider series, Ninja Warriors series, Ninja Five-0

Movies: Ninja In The Dragon's Den, Ninja, Ninja: Shadow Of A Tear

And now for some GIFs!

Ninja In The Dragon's Den
ninja-in-the-dragon%2527s-den-cult-movies-download.gif

ninja-in-the-dragon%2527s-den-fight-cult-movies-download.gif

Ninja
tumblr_oomi9eaf6A1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

tumblr_os49jzpf2s1wstc5to1_400.gif

Ninja: Shadow Of A Tear
ninja2.gif

tumblr_oo7khf6kSZ1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

Does any movie or game actually portray ninjas accurately, or is it all based on the legendary ninjas that had little, if anything, to do with real history? As far as I'm aware, real-world ninjas were more similar to modern spies, trying to dress as inconspicuously as possible (the black ninja suit we're used to from legends would stick out like a sore thumb, so no actual ninja would be stupid enough to wear one) and using subterfuge more than actual stealth. Combat wasn't really their forte.

Since the OP is asking about the best depictions of Ninjas, I would consider a historically accurate depiction to be a worthy candidate. Is there such a thing?

ScOULaris

I only played Tenchu up until the first PS2 game, but it's a great series for making you feel like a ninja. Stealth kills, sneaking around guards, big levels, and gearing up however you wanted for every mission was awesome. The only thing particularly flashy about those games were the stealth kills, everything else was a little more grounded. The characters were memorable (Onikage/Sezaku especially), the enemies were varied (Spanish pirates and Oni!), and the levels felt unique.

I have very fond memories of the series.

Love the first two games, the original's atmosphere is beyond excellent, but I wish they never strayed into the fantastical. Weird cults and demons are lame, I want to be killing Echigoyas all night, every night.
All three of you need some Shinobido 2 (Vita) in your lives. It's a spiritual successor to the Tenchu series from the developers of the PS1 original, and IMO it's better than Tenchu ever was thanks to its better mechanics, open-ended mission structure, alchemy, and grounded feudal Japan setting without the demons and other weird shit that Tenchu got caught up in.

Top Bottom