• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the most emotionally impactful movies you've watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I was re-watching Requiem For A Dream for the 5th time or so, I believe, since 2000 (Don't know what's wrong with me, but I like depressing movies), and it still stands as one movie that has had the most impact on me, emotionally. So much so that I need to gather my senses afterwards and play some super-fast music to forget the trauma I witnessed a while ago.

I don't think any other movie I've watched has come close to this 100 minute gut-punch. The Passion of the Christ is a close second, and I love how Gibson filmed that movie, with the score in the back constantly permeating your head, and the 2 hour torture that he goes through really gets to you. Requiem, however, is in a whole different league, and will probably remain for the longest time, for me.

What are some of yours, GAF?

Vesmir

Banned
Its not the same as your examples, OP, but Whiplash was one of the most tense movies I'd seen in a long time.

Most of the movie was mediocre, but Captain Phillips had an ending that punched my gut.

I've only cried at Toy Story 3, Return of the King and Dancer in the Dark.

TheXbox

Return of the King for me. The last forty minutes are absolutely cathartic.
The Grey Havens fucking kill me.

Schindler's List might be the real answer, though. I didn't cry or anything, but it was a draining experience. I've only watched it once and I don't plan on ever watching it again.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Return of the King.
I was 11, and had read the books at 6-7, and since then, twice.
It was the day i understood fantasy had won mainstream acceptance, and nothing could make me happier.

I watched Blue Valentine at a rough time in my life and it made me sob uncontrollably for a few minutes. It's like the film cleaned out "emotional gunk" from my psyche.

Meet Joe Black especially this scene

hqdefault.jpg

There are only 3 movies that consistently produce visceral emotional reactions from me:

1. Forrest Gump. As soon as he says
"you died on a Saturday morning"
I start to cry. Not like bawl, just get leaky.
2. 300. No joke, the very last epilogue scene. So much manly fighting spirit. It makes me want to go play all the sports and work all the outs. Manly adrenaline tears.
3. Star Trek (first reboot movie) The opening scene with
Kirk's dad hearing his baby's cry right before he dies.
So many raging paternal feels. And I don't even want kids any time soon or anything.

All that said I'm not a big movie guy, so im sure there would be more out there if I watched them more frequently.

Her.

I’ll admit, I’m a sucker for these sorts of sci-fi stories. I really enjoyed WALL-E and Robot and Frank and Moon’s GERTY. I suppose I’m just attracted to stories where you can find real humanity in inhuman constructs? To be able to convey that level of depth and natural essence from a robot just strikes me as an impressive achievement. And Samantha in Her is no exception. Scarlett Johansson’s performance is completely natural and expressive, while communicating a distinctive otherworldly nature that feels both intimidating and enticing. You fully buy into the idea of Theodore falling for her because of her performance, and the great rapport between them makes the movie come alive. Spike Jonze invests the story and dialogue with a lot of heart and truth.

And that’s really what shines about this movie, the truth within it. Jonze manages to verbalize and convey all those feelings and emotions we’ve ever had about a relationship and the aftermath of a breakup. “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.” Who among us hasn’t felt that way and related to what Theodore is going through? I know I have.

Through simple cuts and edits, we get to see the subtle observations that Jonze has about love and life. Take the sleazy and clumsy audio booty call in the beginning of the film, where Theodore chats up random strangers on his earpiece. It's simple lust that's driving him. But later, he has a similar scene with Samantha, only it's imbued with quite a different emotional state. Two ostensibly identical actions, coming from different places and with vastly different results. It's the little things that define our meaning in life.

Most sci-fi futures tend to be dominated by steely cold blues and grays and you sense that humanity is being drained away by the uprise of technology. Her smartly steers away from this aesthetic in favor of warm pink and orange hues that are welcoming and inviting and feel suitably human-centered. The optimists haven’t all died out in the future, it turns out. The entire setting feels lived in and grounded, which lends believability to a movie premise that already requires the audience to take a leap.

The movie does present us with this wonderful and imaginative speculative fiction to think and ponder on, but it never feels like it’s taking over. Her is very much of the same school as WALL-E in its structure. WALL-E had these big heady science fiction ideas and concepts that it played with, yet at the end of the day it was at its core a simple love story, between two robots. Her is modeled in the same way, in that it depicts this near future civilization with expressive AIs and people sinking deeper and deeper into isolation through technology… yet Jonze keeps his eye focused on what the true heart of the story is, which is Theodore and Samantha’s relationship. Some people have voiced their view in how they wanted the entire movie to purely be a meditation on this larger technological revolution and the implications of such, in the grand tradition of speculative fiction, but I definitely prefer the approach that Jonze took here. He melded together the larger canvass of a thoughtful, intriguing sci-fi future with a small, intimate love story, and in my eyes it felt seemingly effortless.

As much as we’d like to pretend otherwise, relationships are rarely as simple as two beings melding seamlessly into one. All too often, we find ourselves trying to get through the little hiccups along the road. No, it’s rarely that huge, bombastic fight that we see in some movies… more often it’s simply two humans who are trying to fit together an imperfect jigsaw. Watching the movie, I felt myself completely entranced by the small scenes, like when Theodore is sitting on a sidewalk, asking why Samantha audibly breathes while she’s talking. These little moments feel so genuine and raw and refreshing because they are the unfortunate aspects of relationships we all have to encounter and get through, and yet never quite see depicted onscreen in other movies.

The movie ends with a mildly optimistic conclusion, but it’s not a typical Hollywood happy ending. Jonze doesn’t go for a slam dunk finish, but leaves it open ended for your imagination. Where does Theodore go from here? It’s up to the audience to decide for themselves. Much like real life, we’re left to simply… move on and continue. To grow and form new connections. Just as Samantha had to grow and evolve and form new connections, so must we in our lives. The journey continues, and as one stage of it ends, another must begin. Theodore’s previous failure to connect with his ex-wife led him to Samantha, and her loss has now propelled him forward into another opportunity for growth. Theodore’s uncertain future is simply a new stage of his life, and I appreciated Jonze’s restraint in ending on an open question mark.

Just as Theodore fell in love with Samantha, so did I with this tender, sincere, expertly-crafted gem. It’s the rare film that leaves you feeling rewarded, respected, and reinvigorated with life.

Amir0x

Banned
Imitation of Life *sobs*

That scene at the end when Annie Johnson dies and her daughter, finally realizing it's too late to ever seek forgiveness from the mother she spent her whole life resenting for being black, sobs on her casket needing to be pulled away. The feels, the feels... T_T

La vita è bella

When Guido marches past Giosué's sweatbox, still in character pretending the concentration camp is one big game so the kid is less traumatized by the events around him, knowing that he goes to his death :(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just naming a few

The Hunt
Umberto D.
M
Dumbo
The woman next door
Vincent, François, Paul and the Others
Schindler's List
The Exorcist
Hunger
This is England
The Elephant Man

bionic77

Life is Beautiful and Gattaca are the ones that immediately come to mind but were already covered.

More interesting to me is when people get really emotional over horrible movies. I remember looking over and seeing my friend get really emotional at the ending of Armageddon. Like he was legit crying. Keep in mine we were both in college at this time. This is one of those things that you are not allowed to ever live down.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Some of the more obvious one have been mentioned in the thread (i.e. Schindler's List, Toy Story 3, etc.), but for some reason 127 Hours - particularly the last 15 minutes - had me on the verge of tears. Not really sure why this is the case.

surprised nobody had mentioned it yet, but the answer that comes to my mind right away for a question like that would almost always be Grave Of Fireflies. that movie just breaks you no matter who you are.

overcast

I'll most certainly forget a few but off the top of my head these affected me in different ways.

Before Trilogy
Eternal Sunshine
Lost In Translation
I'illusionniste

x-Lundz-x

Seven Pounds really drained me.

There are a lot but this one comes up in my mind. Recently interstellar got to me as well. I really got hooked by the Relationship Cooper had to his family and how well acted it was.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
surprised nobody had mentioned it yet, but the answer that comes to my mind right away for a question like that would almost always be Grave Of Fireflies. that movie just breaks you no matter who you are.

grave of the fireflies.
I need to confess something.

I didn't cry when I first watched Grave of the Fireflies

Cuz I ended up watching the fucking dub first :p

Corpsepyre

Banned
Her.

I’ll admit, I’m a sucker for these sorts of sci-fi stories. I really enjoyed WALL-E and Robot and Frank and Moon’s GERTY. I suppose I’m just attracted to stories where you can find real humanity in inhuman constructs? To be able to convey that level of depth and natural essence from a robot just strikes me as an impressive achievement. And Samantha in Her is no exception. Scarlett Johansson’s performance is completely natural and expressive, while communicating a distinctive otherworldly nature that feels both intimidating and enticing. You fully buy into the idea of Theodore falling for her because of her performance, and the great rapport between them makes the movie come alive. Spike Jonze invests the story and dialogue with a lot of heart and truth.

And that’s really what shines about this movie, the truth within it. Jonze manages to verbalize and convey all those feelings and emotions we’ve ever had about a relationship and the aftermath of a breakup. “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.” Who among us hasn’t felt that way and related to what Theodore is going through? I know I have.

Through simple cuts and edits, we get to see the subtle observations that Jonze has about love and life. Take the sleazy and clumsy audio booty call in the beginning of the film, where Theodore chats up random strangers on his earpiece. It's simple lust that's driving him. But later, he has a similar scene with Samantha, only it's imbued with quite a different emotional state. Two ostensibly identical actions, coming from different places and with vastly different results. It's the little things that define our meaning in life.

Most sci-fi futures tend to be dominated by steely cold blues and grays and you sense that humanity is being drained away by the uprise of technology. Her smartly steers away from this aesthetic in favor of warm pink and orange hues that are welcoming and inviting and feel suitably human-centered. The optimists haven’t all died out in the future, it turns out. The entire setting feels lived in and grounded, which lends believability to a movie premise that already requires the audience to take a leap.

The movie does present us with this wonderful and imaginative speculative fiction to think and ponder on, but it never feels like it’s taking over. Her is very much of the same school as WALL-E in its structure. WALL-E had these big heady science fiction ideas and concepts that it played with, yet at the end of the day it was at its core a simple love story, between two robots. Her is modeled in the same way, in that it depicts this near future civilization with expressive AIs and people sinking deeper and deeper into isolation through technology… yet Jonze keeps his eye focused on what the true heart of the story is, which is Theodore and Samantha’s relationship. Some people have voiced their view in how they wanted the entire movie to purely be a meditation on this larger technological revolution and the implications of such, in the grand tradition of speculative fiction, but I definitely prefer the approach that Jonze took here. He melded together the larger canvass of a thoughtful, intriguing sci-fi future with a small, intimate love story, and in my eyes it felt seemingly effortless.

As much as we’d like to pretend otherwise, relationships are rarely as simple as two beings melding seamlessly into one. All too often, we find ourselves trying to get through the little hiccups along the road. No, it’s rarely that huge, bombastic fight that we see in some movies… more often it’s simply two humans who are trying to fit together an imperfect jigsaw. Watching the movie, I felt myself completely entranced by the small scenes, like when Theodore is sitting on a sidewalk, asking why Samantha audibly breathes while she’s talking. These little moments feel so genuine and raw and refreshing because they are the unfortunate aspects of relationships we all have to encounter and get through, and yet never quite see depicted onscreen in other movies.

The movie ends with a mildly optimistic conclusion, but it’s not a typical Hollywood happy ending. Jonze doesn’t go for a slam dunk finish, but leaves it open ended for your imagination. Where does Theodore go from here? It’s up to the audience to decide for themselves. Much like real life, we’re left to simply… move on and continue. To grow and form new connections. Just as Samantha had to grow and evolve and form new connections, so must we in our lives. The journey continues, and as one stage of it ends, another must begin. Theodore’s previous failure to connect with his ex-wife led him to Samantha, and her loss has now propelled him forward into another opportunity for growth. Theodore’s uncertain future is simply a new stage of his life, and I appreciated Jonze’s restraint in ending on an open question mark.

Just as Theodore fell in love with Samantha, so did I with this tender, sincere, expertly-crafted gem. It’s the rare film that leaves you feeling rewarded, respected, and reinvigorated with life.

Very thoughtful and well-written.

FiggyCal

Banned
Bowling for Columbine actually made me tear up... I'm not one to get emotional during movies though so it really stands out.

As far as fiction goes; Forrest Gump has an incredible ending. One of the most satisfying I've seen in any movie. All the emotions hit you all at once man :(

Ra\/en

I can't think of too many movies that really got to me.

"The Road" was really bleak and depressing and made me tear up. It really surprised me.
The_Road_bleak_scenery.jpg

Also, "Pan's Labyrinth" was very impactful as well.

Xe4

Banned
Waltz with Bahir
waltz-with-bashir_wallpaper_03-wide.jpg

One of the most depressing and heart wrenching movies I have ever seen, it depcits the life of an Israeli soldier (Ari Folman, the director) struggling to come to terms with his actions in the 1982 Lebanon war. I won't spoil any more of it, but holy hell there were parts of the movie which were just a punch to the gut. It was the only movie to make me cry, and that's saying a lot, because I've seen some pretty sad movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom