• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the notable Roguelike / Roguelites from the past Decade?

jadedm17

Took over my 2018:
List starts and ends with Dead Cells.
Hours a day. Started my love for tve genre, greatly helped by the currency system : A feeling of general progression!

Enter the Gungeon has been keeping me busy lately.

V4skunk

Banned
The latest new one is Noita.
Such an amazing game even though it is early access, so much content and depth of gameplay.

Holammer

I had a lot of fun with these three. Blazing Beaks should be up there with Enter the Gungeon, but the greed mechanic is a double-edged sword. While clever, it'll put off a lot of players. Straimium got that trademark Caiysware weirdness to it.

Last edited:

Katsura

Noita, even in it's EA state was one of the best releases of 2019. Hades is shaping up quite nicely as well.
Noita has a unique potential. Hades i'm not so sure of. It's got a lot of polish for sure but it still feels very basic to me. I don't see it rivalling Dead Cells, which is what i would have expected from an established company. It's very good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't really do anything spectacularly well in my opinion. That said, i haven't actually completed it yet since i only got it recently so it could change later on. I've reached the 3rd boss

Hades is good, it looks good, is fast and responsive, and it plays great. My biggest beef with it, and it's a big one, is lack of variety. With only six weapons, it's not going to have near the staying power of Gungeon or Dead Cells.

Noita has crazy build variety, and they keep adding stuff pretty regularly. I'm still figuring out the ins and outside of wand building.

Katsura

Hades is good, it looks good, is fast and responsive, and it plays great. My biggest beef with it, and it's a big one, is lack of variety. With only six weapons, it's not going to have near the staying power of Gungeon or Dead Cells.

Noita has crazy build variety, and they keep adding stuff pretty regularly. I'm still figuring out the ins and outside of wand building.
Noita's magic system is crazy good. I try to limit my play time with it because i want it to be fairly fresh once they flesh out the game some more but it's very tempting to play it

It's 2020... Binding of Isaac Rebirth on PS Vita is still my Go To (the toilet and forget why I am sitting here) game of the genre... I think it will be a long time before this changes...

GymWolf

with all the boons from different gods you have a shitload of builds in hades.

wizard of legends is another one with a lot of things to unlock.

They are my favourite roguelites.

Previously I mentioned Has-Been Heroes in this thread and seeing as it's sort of back, I'll mention two more that came to mind over time:

Smash Run for Super Smash Bros 3DS. I believe it doesn't even fulfill all the requirements of being a roguelite however, I had a crapton of fun playing it because every run would be different with random events happening all over the fairly large stage (whose layout doesn't change).

Tharsis. I'm still hoping for Choice Provisions to port this to the Switch. Enjoyed this a lot on PC back then and I'd say the designer achieved his goal with regards to having the dice rolls be random but still manageable due to what you can do with them.

Atmosphere was thick and the potential outcomes of every crew member was pretty morbid. Runs were pretty brisk too IIRC.

Holammer

After my previous post where I mentioned Caiysware's Straimium Immortaly, I noticed he had a new title called 'Spirits Abyss' in Early Access since October last year, so it still fits in theme of the thread even if I discovered it just now.
It's only 3,99€ so I gave it a go and it's an awesome Spelunky style action roguelike platformer. What I love about the Caiysware games is the conservative use of color, the restricted palette gives you C64/NES vibes and there is suitably SID like/chiptune music innit too.

ss_86ac3aa9345fcd6cef0dd2ef4fe206ad3d9780de.1920x1080.jpg

Just look at it! The mirror just screams C64 to me.

1IX7Iqz.jpg

Previously I mentioned Has-Been Heroes in this thread and seeing as it's sort of back, I'll mention two more that came to mind over time:

Smash Run for Super Smash Bros 3DS. I believe it doesn't even fulfill all the requirements of being a roguelite however, I had a crapton of fun playing it because every run would be different with random events happening all over the fairly large stage (whose layout doesn't change).

Tharsis. I'm still hoping for Choice Provisions to port this to the Switch. Enjoyed this a lot on PC back then and I'd say the designer achieved his goal with regards to having the dice rolls be random but still manageable due to what you can do with them.

Atmosphere was thick and the potential outcomes of every crew member was pretty morbid. Runs were pretty brisk too IIRC.
So I checked out the Coming Soon section in the eshop today and was pleasantly surprised to see...

Tharsis! To be released on 4/11/2020, published by Qubicgames for the price of $11.99.

Mana Spark is another little time waster I've dropped about 20 hours or so during quarantine. I liked it so much that I bought it on Switch, but unfortunately the port is pretty garbage. I don't understand how something so simple runs so poorly on it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sorry to sort of necrobump but you guys need to try Neon Abyss it is awesome(though not the most stable game).
I think it's a mix between The Binding Of Isaac and Exit The Gungeon though their loot system isn't as deep but it is a great roguelike.

BigBeauford

Bumping this thread to get more Roguelike recommendations. With the Steam Deck approaching and sales happening, I need more!

SpiceRacz

Bumping this thread to get more Roguelike recommendations. With the Steam Deck approaching and sales happening, I need more!

capsule_616x353.jpg

I downloaded Inscryption yesterday and played several hours of it. Really fun roguelike card game. The game is pretty difficult in spots though. Some battles are impossible to win due to drawing a shitty hand of cards. If you go back to a save point and restart the same battle, you'll end up with the same draw each time. It sucks when you have a good run going. That's my only gripe. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Holammer

My Spirits Abyss recommendation in post #64 still stands. Unlike Spelunky 2 I had a good time with this one.
Game had a final release and more content since, with new areas and playable classes. I put in 67h and cleaned up a good chunk of the achievements. Might play it some more later.

VN1X

Banned
Currently playing a lot of Voidigo which has been super fun so far. Not sure about the longevity of the game mind but I'm definitely going to put in some more hours into this. I kinda like it more than something like Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne simply because of the jump and melee mechanics that give you massive amounts of i-frames. Not that I don't enjoy difficult roguelikes (or games in general) but with Voidigo I feel like there's more freedom in terms of movement which makes it more forgiving and enjoyable to me.

Also we should really get a dedicated roguelike thread (if we haven't already).

Last edited:

Holammer

Currently playing a lot of Voidigo which has been super fun so far. Not sure about the longevity of the game mind but I'm definitely going to put in some more hours into this. I kinda like it more than something like Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne simply because of the jump and melee mechanics that give you massive amounts of i-frames. Not that I don't enjoy difficult roguelikes (or games in general) but with Voidigo I feel like there's more freedom in terms of movement which makes it more forgiving and enjoyable to me.

Also we should really get a dedicated roguelike thread (if we haven't already).

98% user score on Steam, damn. It's on the wishlist.
Yes, we could use a dedicated thread. This one is a bit old.

Played a bit of Risk of Rain 2 and it's really good. But I fell off the wagon and started playing Noita again.

VN1X

Banned
98% user score on Steam, damn. It's on the wishlist.
Yes, we could use a dedicated thread. This one is a bit old.

Played a bit of Risk of Rain 2 and it's really good. But I fell off the wagon and started playing Noita again.
I just checked and I put 250 hours into RoR2 (honestly it's my fav roguelike along with Slay the Spire) and I can't wait for the DLC that's coming out in a week or two. Only a tenner as well and it seems to add so much stuff. I can easily see myself double that amount of playtime by the end of the year lol.

Haven't played Noita yet but I've had it on my wishlist for a while. There's just not enough time in a day though haha.

Returnal is easily my favorite. I still can't believe we got that high quality of a AAA rougelike game.

Dead Cells, Rouge Legacy and Hades are all really good. I'm not sure if it counts, but Darkest Dungeon is awesome.

I don't care as much for the ones where little to nothing carries over as you play through, such as Spelunky.

VN1X

Banned
I played Dead Estate this week, which I had on my radar for a while and I really enjoyed it. The weapon mechanics are a bit wonky (in that once you lose ammo you seem to lose the weapon entirely?) and you only seem to be able to carry two weapons at a time (so I assume you're supposed to constantly be swapping out weapons during a run) but otherwise it seems really decent so far. It's a bit of a shame that there's no meta progression of any kind but on the flipside that means that you aren't relying on those upgrades either in order to get further into a run.

Not sure I would recommend it for the full price atm but if you can find it cheaper elsewhere then it certainly seems like a fun appetizer to more notable games in the genre.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I don't care as much for the ones where little to nothing carries over as you play through, such as Spelunky.

I'm the pretty much the opposite but only really love Spelunky too. Meta progression just feels like a way to needlessly pad a game's length.

VN1X

Banned
Played some more titles! I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but I strongly recommend you give Voidigo a try if you haven't already. It's much more forgiving than some of its counterparts (such as Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon) but isn't any less fun because of that. Things can quickly ramp up once you start to loop so if you're looking for a challenge that is still very much present later in a run.

Also it's just gotten a major update which added a whole bunch of stuff to the game (including that terrifying looking boss design lol):

Colt Canyon's alright but it's lacking in a lot of areas. Most notably in the fact that weapon stats are completely missing from the game so you're left to figure things out on your own. Also I think it's a bit too samey in terms of environments, enemy designs and powerups. It's okay but not great.

TombStar is a bit of a weird one, on the surface level I like it for its visual style and pure gameplay mechanics but otherwise it's not really grabbed me. It's a difficult genre to make a splash in as there are so many games doing the exact same thing that it's hard to really stand out. I'll probably give it another go some other time though as my time with it has been brief admittedly.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yo VN1X VN1X i saw your yt videos about warm snow, and i have 3 questions

Is it me or combat kinda looks like hades?

Do you have more melee weapons to unlock other than the sword?

Is there enough enemy variety and build variety?

Thanks.

P.s. i bought voidigo yesterday, very nice game.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Yo VN1X VN1X i saw your yt videos about warm snow, and i have 3 questions

Is it me or combat kinda looks like hades?

Do you have more melee weapons to unlock other than the sword?

Is there enough enemy variety and build variety?

Thanks.

P.s. i bought voidigo yesterday, very nice game.
Warm snow? 😅

Voidigo is amazing btw. I still suck at it but love the build variety. The amount of updates it's still getting is crazy as well.

GymWolf

Warm snow? 😅

Voidigo is amazing btw. I still suck at it but love the build variety. The amount of updates it's still getting is crazy as well.
Lol i confused your name with someone else because i watched both gameplays for voidigo and warm snow yesterday :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Kupfer

DayZ for me.
Somehow nobody sees this game as a RL, but IMO it is.
Spawn,loot, fight, die.
Ideally, you've built stashes during your lifetime and can draw on some of the loot from before during your next run.
EvSsUP1.jpg

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but I really recommend Crown Trick, it’s a turn-based RPG with an emphasis on combos, elemental effects and spells. The elemental combos are really close to what you find in the Divinity series and the game is difficult without being overwhelming.

XujL42Y.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I was always fond of Nuclear Throne. Simple, yet very fun and addictive and with tons of secret content to discover.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dark Souls.

(Joking. But some people apparently think these games are rogue-somethings. They are not in any way, of course.)

Returnal is my favorite, but I like quite a few.

Dead Cells is awesome. Hades is really good, but a bit overrated. Rouge Legacy (I haven't tried 2, but it's next on my to-play list).

I don't really care for true rougelikes without constant progression like Spelunky, etc.

Holammer

Gave Dandy Ace a chance as it is currently 75% off on Steam. Never heard anyone talk about it and I was pleasantly surprised (90% user score).
One could accuse it of being a discount Hades, but there are some good ideas there, how you equip and power up spells is clever and the antagonist narrating and mocking the player is great.

Game is on all formats.

GymWolf

Gave Dandy Ace a chance as it is currently 75% off on Steam. Never heard anyone talk about it and I was pleasantly surprised (90% user score).
One could accuse it of being a discount Hades, but there are some good ideas there, how you equip and power up spells is clever and the antagonist narrating and mocking the player is great.

Game is on all formats.

Discount hades sound good, i just bought the thing, thanks for the advice.

Graciaus

I forgot Rouge Legacy 2 left early access a few days ago. Deleted my save from release for a restart. Game is a must play.

Top Bottom