• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are wierd things that you used to believe when you were little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's probably not all your cousin's fault. On a network TV special promoting the movie, one of the writers made a comment like that. It was a joke, but a lot of people believed it.

You know my cousin never lied to me except for this so i guess it was a faux pas. He probably believed it too HAHAHA

thom

I think this will only make sense to the members that live in Southern California but when

I was a kid I thought the Cal Worthington commercials (Go See Cal, Go See Cal, Go See

Cal) were saying "Pussy Cow-Pussy Cow-Pussy Cow" didn't understand why people would

laugh hysterically when I would sing this classic jingle.

Oh...

I thought women pee'd out of their butts too.

tenchir

thom said:
I think this will only make sense to the members that live in Southern California but when

I was a kid I thought the Cal Worthington commercials (Go See Cal, Go See Cal, Go See

Cal) were saying "Pussy Cow Pussy Cow Pussy Cow" didn't understand why people would

LOL, I remember those commerciasl. Old Cowboy dude usually dress in white riding cows right?

I got a good one, remember when Fox did a special on Independence Day about an alien invasion? My 7-9 year old newphew, niece, and little sister saw it with me and I had to spend the next couple of days trying to calm them. "There is no alien invasion, there is no alien invasion."

thom

tenchir said:
LOL, I remember those commerciasl. Old Cowboy dude usually dress in white riding cows right?

Yep! That's the guy...he's gotta be at least 116 years old by now.

signet

I used to think the human body was a like a big water balloon of blood and when you ate something it floated around inside of you until it dissolved like a jolly rancher in a cup of water.

My bio class in college set me straight on the matter.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
YES. i totally remember those cal worthington commercials, and i heard the song as "pussy cow" too. "if you wanna buy a car, pussy cow!" the running gimmick was that he'd have different animals in each commercial, and i thought he was calling them pussy cows, as in some fictional animal that was part cat and part cow. i didn't get it at all. "that's not a pussy cow; that's an ocelot."

and no one knows what the hell i'm talking about when i mention it now. :/

"pussy" as the female genitals never occured to me. i guess i was a sheltered kid.

in a similar vein, as a child i only knew the word "breast" as a high-toned literary cliché, as in "he felt a stirring in his breast." i couldn't understand why schoolmates found the word amusing, or why they thought men didn't have breasts. they'd titter at mentions of "breastplate" or male breast cancer, and then they'd laugh harder at me when i objected. it was some time before i made the connection between "breast" and "boob."

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I always thought if I littered 3 times, I would become the litterbug. Damn you 1980s commercials!

litterbug.JPG

cvxfreak

Oh I could have a field day with this.

The usuals:
- The existence of Santa Clause
- Woman urinating out their asses
- Japan and China were THE EXACT SAME "THING" (geez there was a Japanese student in my class and I always thought she was Chinese even though her name was Nayomi)
- Girls sucked
- Languages like Arabic and Russian were "Spanish"
- Likewise, Japanese and Korean were "Chinese"

Weirder things...
- Gushers could really make your face go all whacky

Miguel

3pheMeraLmiX said:
haha, that reminds me of when I thought you could extend your "floating potential" by whipping your legs around in a circular fashion; you had to do it fast enough to generate a sort of "anti-gravity" bubble if you wanted to float. I used to have dreams about this for months until I was able to get myself to actually fly.

yoshi_flutterkick.jpg

I had a friend who was a little overweight, and he thought that if he poked himself in the stomach hard enough with a needle, it would let all of the "air" out that was making him fat. It didn't work.

Grifter

I mentioned this thread to the GF, and she told this horrendous story: as a kid, she believed in Santa and the Easter Bunny until one Easter when she received a candy basket, her mom kept asking her for a bite of candy but she stubbornly refused to give her anything, so the mom flips out. Mom explains to her that the bunny is fake...then tops it off by telling her the truth about Santa too!

Firest0rm

I used to believe there were dinosaurs out my window trying it eat me when i go to sleep when I was a kid. My mom used to tell me that they were there to protect me not eat me :S.

thom said:

Cal) were saying "Pussy Cow-Pussy Cow-Pussy Cow" didn't understand why people would

:lol were those "Federated" store commercials a SoCal exclusive too? Where the guy smashes TVs with a mallet. "FEDERATED FEDERATED FEDERATED!"

Loki

Count of Concision
drohne said:
"pussy" as the female genitals never occured to me. i guess i was a sheltered kid.

in a similar vein, as a child i only knew the word "breast" as a high-toned literary cliché, as in "he felt a stirring in his breast." i couldn't understand why schoolmates found the word amusing, or why they thought men didn't have breasts. they'd titter at mentions of "breastplate" or male breast cancer, and then they'd laugh harder at me when i objected. it was some time before i made the connection between "breast" and "boob."

I feel for you, drohne. I do. ;) :p

As for myself, well, I never really had any odd beliefs as a child that I can recall. There was the Santa Claus thing, obviously-- though that was debunked at a young age when I awoke late one night to find my mother feverishly scribbling out Christmas cards and placing them on wrapped presents. When she realized she had a peeping tom, she told me to "go back to bed, or else I'll tell Santa to take all these gifts back" (this was more than a week before Christmas, mind you :p); needless to say, her charade didn't fool me for much longer after that incident. ;)

And I had one weird "belief", too. If anyone remembers the old TV series "War of the Worlds" (the 80's version), well, they used to have these nasty looking alien hands that would pop out of people's bellies and assume control of others; I was an avid viewer, of course, being heavily into sci-fi of all sorts. Anyway, one day my neighbor down the block chased these two kids who were trying to break into his car in broad daylight. They rounded the corner onto this court that's adjacent to my house and that was the last I saw of them. Now, what happened was that I had a dream that contained that exact same scenario, except in the dream, he chased them into a neighbor's yard across the street and then an alien hand proceeded to emerge from his gut and enter into the perpetrator. In my dream, I watched from my room's window in pure horror, and all of a sudden he looks up and sees me spying on him. So I run from the window only to hear a loud knock at my front door; I then curled up into a fetal position on my downstairs couch, because I was home alone. All I remember is him breaking the door down before I awoke.

The thing is, it took me a good year or so before I fully accepted that that was merely a dream which conflated actual with imagined events. That fact made it difficult for my mind to separate the waking events from the dream, for some reason (I was around 7 or 8, iirc). For the next year, I avoided that neighbor like the plague, believing him to be some evil alien entity housed in a human host. :(

I eventually came to terms with it and realized the truth of what had happened, thankfully. :p

I remember watching a documentary on 16mm film in grade 1 or 2 or something. The Doc was about nature and one segment had to do with Snakes. It described how every 7 months or whatever a snake had to shed it's skin.

Something got me thinking that people had to shed their skin too and I was terrified of the day I'd wake up wrapped in my dead skin struggling to get out.

Tenguman

scola said:
Okay, okay. I'll tell him.
notice the urethra, vagina, and anus/rectum.
spoiler link

nooooooo, i know THAT. :p

my explanation was off. what i meant was when I was little I didn't know there was a vulva. Rather, I thought there were 3 seperate anus-sytle holes at the butt. And if you weren't sure of the right one...uh oh! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom