• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are wierd things that you used to believe when you were little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I can remember my uncle telling me that snot/boogers was brain leakage and that if it kept happening (kept having to blow my nose or pick it) my brain would eventually get so small that it would just fall out one day. That was pretty freaky. lol

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
HAHA I remember one now.

I don't remember how much I actually believed it at the time (though I probably did), but my mom used to tell me those reflectors on the lane lines in the road were brail so blind people could drive. lol

Miguel

scola said:
HAHA I remember one now.

I don't remember how much I actually believed it at the time (though I probably did), but my mom used to tell me those reflectors on the lane lines in the road were brail so blind people could drive. lol

Which adds to my theory that blind people DO drive. Ever been to a drive-thru ATM?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
When I saw this sign as a kid:

handicap.gif

I thought that meant that's where you park your wheel chair :p

wood-paneled station wagons had always assisted humanity.

I drew pictures of :

- cavemen hunting mammoths
- vikings on the plunder
- ben franklin flying a kite in the rain

ALL enjoying the pleasure of passage wood-paneled station wagons provide.

1st grade teacher finally asked me why the pilgrims were driving to thanksgiving.

thread favorites -- pooping pine cones -- girl-jesus(dress, long hair, sissy -- it does make sense) -- and -- minature drohne woozy from blood loss accepting the cruel fate that had reduced his knee to fish. hmm... was this the day that a sacred vow of extreme self-preservation was made - a vow still dutifully exacted everytime a pixel-based projectile threatens harm?

you only have one life - don't get hit - by ANYTHING. EVER!

Grifter

This thread is great. I have so many embarassing ones that I must've blocked out of my mind. One I remember is my cousin telling me he'd know if I...lied, I think. Anyhow, I stilled fibbed a couple times and was terrified about it. I think I figured it out when I saw him the next time and he didn't say anything.

Edit: Oh, another one is thinking that the voices on the phone were like aliens substituting for the real person, among other theories.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Want to know something scary..I used to have an actor friend who's so fucking stupid that he thinks Houston is in Utah and that Thanksgiving is a Jewish holiday.He also thought he could catch my Chronic colon illness Colitis if he touched me :|

The thing is he was was 15 and thought all of this,I havent seen him in 7 years and I'm sure he's just as stupid today as he was then.

Miguel

Matrix said:
Want to know something scary..I used to have an actor friend who's so fucking stupid that he thinks Houston is in Utah

John Stockton thought the same too :(

Home court advantage what? *buzzerbeater*

not me but I used to tease my brother by "stealing his nose"

I did it one day and gave it to a black football player on tv, the whole day he cried because some guy on tv has his nose, and my dad laughed at him.

all this and no one's mentioned the moon following them?

I also thought that the noise from planes flying overhead was the noise that wind makes. And Critters! The scene with the critter biting the guy on the ass made me scared to go to the bathroom for months. I had to check the toilet before I'd sit down, and I would jump up when I was finished.

-Remember those Cadbury commercials for the chocolate eggs that are put around Easter? I used to think Rabbits made that sound.

-My best "you stupid little kid" thing would have had to be in daycare. See they had this magician in doing the corney little magic tricks right. I won this number guessing thing I got to have my own wand. Sufficed to say, with the wand in hand I thought I had the power to take over the daycar. Needless to say, the daycare people mildly amused when I stood up and threatened to turn everyone into beetles unless I got candy.

-I almost forgot, I used to believe in God.

MaddenNFL64

Great thread :).

I think i've blocked out most of them, but i'm sure I have believed many of these things when I was young too :p.

I live in Hawaii, so I was told a whole bunch of native stories, but the craziest one were about these magical mini people called menehune who were real assholes to people at night. I thought they were gonna kill me if I went into a cave, or the forest at night :(.

I thought the moon followed me too :\.

Oh, and God.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Anytime I saw any kind of plant life on top of a body of water (algae, moss, etc.) I thought it was toxic waste, and that BAD MEN had dumped it in there because they didn't care about the environment. I also envisioned the toxic waste coming in barrels that had a skull and crossbones on them, and I sometimes even looked for said barrels around the water. I remember seeing this one pond near the swimming pool with algae floating in it, and thinking to myself, "Those jerks...people just don't care."

Also, like many young kids (and even some adults), I believed that most swimming pools had a chemical in them that would make your urine visible, and so I avoiding emptying my bladder in the pool at all costs.

My heart was in my lower abdomen.

Believed that with the cheap novelty items advertised at the back of magazines, I truly could see through people's clothes and print counterfeit money.

I took the interpretation of the Bible I was given to be the truth based on the only proper reading of a factual book, so wondered why there was so much confusion regarding this matter in the world.

Farts were bubbles; the sound was the bubble popping.

Reagan must be a good president, since he was elected twice.

I thought making a video game must be a GARGANTUAN task. Not understanding how the graphics came together, I thought they must individually draw each possible frame.

Being rich was a job (the one I wanted to have).

When you put your hand near in front of your face, focus on something in the distance, and your hand splits into two images which merge with the background... I thought the fact that one eye had a clear view was giving some sort of "see through objects" power to the other eye.

Smidget

ZombieSupaStar said:
not me but I used to tease my brother by "stealing his nose"

I did it one day and gave it to a black football player on tv, the whole day he cried because some guy on tv has his nose, and my dad laughed at him.

My uncle still has my nose. ;)

I seriously believed until like mid High School that if you had your eyes crossed and someone hit you in the back they'd stay that way..... *hangs head in shame*

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dog$ said:
I called smoke stacks "cloud factories". I had no idea where else clouds came from...

me too!!!!!!

i used to think girls vaginas were inside the bush facing forward, i always thought "having sex must hurt."

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I believe overboard (in BTTF2) existed but were too dangerous so it was impossible to get one. My older cousin told me that and I believed him. THE BASTARD.

Insertia

-i had a terrible fear of Freddy Krueger. I would spend entire nights awake out of fear of him killing me if i went to sleep.

-I was afraid that if i sat on the toilet something would reach out of it and attack me. I think i got this fear from one of the 'Critters' movie.

-I always thought someone was behind the shower curtains. When ever I went into the bathroom, I would look behind the curtains 'to be sure'. (expected to see the old skinless women from 'The Shining')

-In the past people were actually black and white and color was a new thing.

-Same as Joshua, I thought animation was the most complex thing ever. I thought every movement had to be drawn in order to look smooth.

-My older sisters and their friend told me I had AIDs and I was going to die soon. When I was 7 I was seriously depressed for several years because I thought I would die.

-I thought people on TV were the same size in real life as they appear on TV.

3phemeral

dog$ said:
I called smoke stacks "cloud factories". I had no idea where else clouds came from...

mrklaw said:
thunder was the noise of clouds bumping into each other

Haha, that's cute.

---In elementary school I used to think that Aliens were a highly evolved form of Asian People *_* A friend of mine had the infamous rounded head and strange beady eyes, small facial features and a very lanky body. "The connection is obvious!", I thought.

---I once saw this tiny Post-Office Box next to a light pole and thought that it was made exclusively for midgets.

---That if you place hot water into the freezer you'd get ice faster. I figured that the energy stored inside the molecules could be transferred from one source to another -- so somehow you could initiate the "transforming" of the solidifying process. The more energy, the more it can work harder! o_O

---Everyone had an exact evil twin, but I always considered the option that "maybe *I'm* the evil twin".

xsarien

daedsiluap
1) That Sega was the best company ever.

2) Like most kids growing up in the 80s, I was convinced for awhile that Freddy was coming for me.

DSN2K said:
god
Santa

No, no. Santa exists. I see him every year at the mall!

Kuramu

I didn't understand money, so when my mom was preparing to go to the store, i would cut up paper and write numbers on the pieces so she would have something to spend.

I used to think it was a lucky coincidence that people had babies when they got married.

Upon hearing that dentist drilled teeth and filled the hole with cement, i imagined jackhammers and rocky concrete.

god, santa, tooth fairy... the usual suspects.

on the up side, my older sibs would try to convince me that thunder was angels bowling and rain came from god's faucet... and i knew it wasn't true... was a little bothered that they wouldn't give me a straight answer.

oh, about the guy and the 3 holes thing... :lol

jett

D-Member
I thought the only way to get children was by getting married, then a few months after getting married the woman would magically get pregnant. :p

I also believed in the whole women pee through their asses thing.

On another "cute" note, one of my cousins thought that cartoon characters were actually actors, and not hand-drawn. :p

jett said:
On another "cute" note, one of my cousins thought that cartoon characters were actually actors, and not hand-drawn. :p

That's not cute, that's crazy. This child needs psychiatric evaluation immediately. Thorazine and Morphine to keep his violent behaviour under wraps.

Matt

When I was young, my babysitter told me that if I ate the stuff that I picked out of my noise, it would turn into worms inside my stomach and eat me up from the inside out. I was freaked out, but never did it again.

When my Dad told me that he didn’t use the Exxon station around us because of them pouring oil into the ocean (talking about Exxon-Valdez,) I got the mental images of Exxon workers going out into the ocean with big oil cans and pouring their contents into the water and onto seals and fish for kicks. I use to glare are the people who worked at the station SO hard when we drove by.

Milhouse31 said:
I believe overboard (in BTTF2) existed but were too dangerous so it was impossible to get one. My older cousin told me that and I believed him. THE BASTARD.
It's probably not all your cousin's fault. On a network TV special promoting the movie, one of the writers made a comment like that. It was a joke, but a lot of people believed it.
Insertia said:
-I was afraid that if i sat on the toilet something would reach out of it and attack me. I think i got this fear from one of the 'Critters' movie.
Similarly, I was creeped out by some other monster... I don't even remember the movie's name, but I remember the box at the video store with this ugly little thing coming out of a toilet.
3pheMeraLmiX said:
---That if you place hot water into the freezer you'd get ice faster. I figured that the energy stored inside the molecules could be transferred from one source to another -- so somehow you could initiate the "transforming" of the solidifying process. The more energy, the more it can work harder! o_O
I've heard many people say this, and not just kids. Always seemed so counterintuitive to me, since the hot of course becomes cold water on its way to freezing.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
haha. i'd never thought of it before, but i guess i did spend the early years of my life as a tiny, ineffectual, one-and-out shmup character. maybe that's why i took to galaga like i did...i found a kindred spirit in the spaceship. :/

Newduck

Used to think that most of the world was unexplored, and the current world map (which i had only seen on flat paper, not globes) was just a map of currently discovered countries, only maybe 1/4 of the planet. I was disapointed to find out the truth.

Dinos were closer in size to godzilla to their actual size.

J2 Cool

jett said:

Yeah, Who Framed Roger Rabbit didn't help that either.

-My dad told me if I looked at the sun I would go blind. He forgot to tell me that it would take awhile staring at the sun for this to happen. So for a period I was so scared that I when I went outside I would only look at the ground for fear of accedentally looking at the sun.

-I wanted to be a ninja when I grew up, thinking that that was a real occupation.

-I used to think that the hospital had the ability to bring people back to life. Too many videogames.

3phemeral

JoshuaJSlone said:
I've heard many people say this, and not just kids. Always seemed so counterintuitive to me, since the hot of course becomes cold water on its way to freezing.

Really? That's odd... because when I was 10 I thought I was a genius for coming up with the concept. Years later, I heard a relative of mine mention this as a "word of advice" before I filled an ice container; I looked at him with the oddest expression and told him how that didn't made any sense. Of course, the difference between him and I was probably the fact that he was 30 years old and still believing that it was valid concept, while when I was 10 I realized a few months later after really thinking about it and felt embarrassed for telling my parents that ice was created more efficiently that way.

---AH... I remembered another one. I used to think that the emblems affixed to the hood of cars was a method for aiming the vehicle correctly while parking... and that somehow you'd be able to understand the distance from the grill to whatever was in front of you by using this clever "targeting" device.

--That if I really tried hard enough I would fly if I jumped off a roof (thanks, whatever that movies was with the mute boy who could fly. Anyone remember this movie? *_* haha)

--I could become spider man if I thought about modifying my genetics just by thinking "you are half spider, you are half spider, make spider-like abilites!"

--If I suffered a traumatic experience I'd become psychic -- so everytime I was in extreme pain I thought "It's okay, I'll gain the gift of premonition because of this."

hehe ^_^

thomaser

Can't remember anything stupid I believed in, even if it must have been tons. Oh, just one thing - I believed that when it hailed, the individual hail-particles could in some cases be over 2 meters wide, and crush houses like nothing. I used to bring it up in school every time the subject of hail or snow came up.

I used to trick other kids, though. For example, my mother used to clean up the school I went to, and the little room where all her cleaning-stuff was in was down in the basement of the school. So I convinced a couple of kids that whenever she went down to the basement, she actually went to China.

I also tried vehemently to convince a buddy that sometimes, an anchor would magically appear in our living-room and fly through it. I half believed it myself. Don't ask why, since I have no idea where that came from.

And when my mother was little, she used to think that radios contained a bunch of tiny people.

3pheMeraLmiX said:
--That if I really tried hard enough I would fly if I jumped off roof (thanks, whatever that movies was with the mute boy who could fly. Anyone remember this movie? *_* haha)
I don't, but it reminds me of something else. There was a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon where as sometimes happens they walked off the side of a cliff and didn't immediately fall. But the joke in this one (I think it was some sort of flashback) was that they didn't fall because they didn't understand gravity. Bugs gives Elmer a book, Elmer looks at it, Elmer falls. At the time, though, my understanding of this cartoon's message was a bit different: Gravity is a force that allows you to walk on air if you think about it. So I tried walking off chairs and such, hoping to walk across the air. No luck.

3phemeral

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't, but it reminds me of something else. There was a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon where as sometimes happens they walked off the side of a cliff and didn't immediately fall. But the joke in this one (I think it was some sort of flashback) was that they didn't fall because they didn't understand gravity. Bugs gives Elmer a book, Elmer looks at it, Elmer falls. At the time, though, my understanding of this cartoon's message was a bit different: Gravity is a force that allows you to walk on air if you think about it. So I tried walking off chairs and such, hoping to walk across the air. No luck.

haha, that reminds me of when I thought you could extend your "floating potential" by whipping your legs around in a circular fashion; you had to do it fast enough to generate a sort of "anti-gravity" bubble if you wanted to float. I used to have dreams about this for months until I was able to get myself to actually fly.

3phemeral

Matrix said:
Want to know something scary… I used to have an actor friend who's so fucking stupid that he thinks Houston is in Utah and that Thanksgiving is a Jewish holiday. He also thought he could catch my Chronic colon illness Colitis if he touched me :|

The thing is he was 15 and thought all of this, I haven’t seen him in 7 years and I'm sure he's just as stupid today as he was then.

My brother had friends that couldn't figure out (at the age of 18-19) what "Mature Audience" and "Adult Content" meant during an HBO special we watched years ago. I laughed to myself and thought, "Maybe they shouldn't be watching it if they don't know what the hell the warnings refer to." Sometimes I think my brother keeps them around because he feels intellectually empowered by their inability to challenge him mentally. I suppose that is why he's the "leader" of the group. o_O

Damn, wish I could delete this post and re-edit it to the other one.. but anyway, I thought of another one.

---> When I was in... oh… 3rd grade or so my teacher was explaining that when it rains it's technically called "Acid Rain". Well, my skin never burned so I figured it never really rained acid rain yet. There were days where I would imagine "real" acid rain and I could see droves of houses burnt at the edges, erosion everywhere, and I somehow thought that rust was result of the mal-effects of acid rain.

Ferrio

Banned
Tenguman said:
that woman-asses thing reminded me when I used to think women had 3 holes. ass-hole, pee-hole, sex-hole.

I know it's already been addressed, but come on this is hilarity. So the question on my mind is.... what do you think they have?

andthebeatgoeson

Defensor said:
When I saw this sign as a kid:

handicap.gif

I thought that meant that's where you park your wheel chair :p

I couldn't think of one until I saw your post. Hell, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you should be looking out for cars on squiggly stilts:

slippery.jpg

I mean, at some point, do you hit a button and wobbly legs come out of your car or something?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CavemanLawyer said:
-My dad told me if I looked at the sun I would go blind. He forgot to tell me that it would take awhile staring at the sun for this to happen. So for a period I was so scared that I when I went outside I would only look at the ground for fear of accedentally looking at the sun.
Looking directly into the sun WILL damage your eyes in a relatively small amount of time, although it may take a while before that damage accumulates to blindness.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
3pheMeraLmiX said:
--That if I really tried hard enough I would fly if I jumped off a roof (thanks, whatever that movies was with the mute boy who could fly. Anyone remember this movie? *_* haha)

B00009AVA3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I could add some of my own, but I'd be here all night ;)

MIMIC

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
I couldn't think of one until I saw your post. Hell, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you should be looking out for cars on squiggly stilts:

slippery.jpg

I mean, at some point, do you hit a button and wobbly legs come out of your car or something?

LOL!! Now THAT'S funny. :D

On an unrelated note: what a terrible name for a movie. "Between a silent boy and a beautiful girl, lies an amazing secret." Oh! I wonder what the secret is? It obviously has absolutely nothing to do with flying! Seriously, there are much better, nonreveiling titles that could have been used for this. On a related note, at one time I might've thought this was a good title for a movie. Oh! Silly young me!

Makura

I thought that if I went outside and put a lit match to blade of grass, that the entire world would catch fire.

3phemeral

Jill Sandwich said:

I could add some of my own, but I'd be here all night ;)

Yup, that's it! Thanks for the memory flash back ^_^

Here's another:

--> I used to think condoms were metallic chastity belts for men. There was a rumor going around that this older kid in the 6th grade was so bad, so awesome with the chicks that he would wear a condom all the time. I remember he was walking to the urinal and a kid pointed him out to me -- I was so curious that I tried to see what the hell a condom was but I was too afraid to turn my head at the stall :p I imagined it to be this sort of rugged, tempered steel that had shackles attached and sort of resembled an iron-wrought Jock-strap. *shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom