• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward the most and why? Xenoblade X or FFXV?

JoJoSono

Banned
I do.

Because Mitsuda > Shimomura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sawano

Too bad for you I guess.

Not for me though. All seem to be able to deliver good soundtracks so it's not a problem for me if one does a soundtrack over the other.

FFXV

also, Nintendo needs to get a better character designer for Xenoblade X

Thus delaying the game into the void that FF15 is in? Nintendo also has little say in the development of the game other than actually releasing it, it's all on Monolith and they've always used the more anime esque character models.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Xeno X. Because I get my Magitek Armor game and a large open world as well as another great game from God of RPG's Tetsuya Takahashi. And Xeno X will also probably get a release date. So that's a plus.

moolamb

FFXV looks prettier.

But I know it's all going to be bullshit, after FFX, Final Fantasy should have just died.

So my vote goes to Xenocross. A game with substance.

JoJoSono

Banned
So my vote goes to Xenocross. A game with substance.

What does this even mean? How do past FF's not have substance? They all have pretty good battle systems with at least the same amount of depth if not more then Xenoblade.

Thus delaying the game into the void that FF15 is in? Nintendo also has little say in the development of the game other than actually releasing it, it's all on Monolith and they've always used the more anime esque character models.
I don't know how having a better character designer would make the game take longer to make. A better character modeler maybe, but I haven't seen the 2d artwork to know where the problem with the characters comes from. Then again, I've never actually thought Monolith has had good character designs, though with Xensoaga 3 at at least the character models were fantastic.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
X because

X gonna give it to ya
x-gon-give-it-to-ya-o7sj3d.gif

Wait, did we play the same game?

Who was Vaan and why did we care? Well I didn't.
Obviously you're welcome to your opinion, but it would seem to stand in opposition to the mainstream perception of FFXII. That perception being that it's widely considered among the best of the FFs. It didn't crack the top 10 PS2 sales list and get rave reviews by being an average game.

Touch

X

Final Fantasy is great and all but I'm just more interested in the newer franchise, the new story, new adventures.

I don't know how having a better character designer would make the game take longer to make. A better character modeler maybe, but I haven't seen the 2d artwork to know where the problem with the characters comes from. Then again, I've never actually thought Monolith has had good character designs, though with Xensoaga 3 at at least the character models were fantastic.

It could take longer depending on what exactly he's wanting a "better" character modeler for. Because I've seen multiple times now where some people believe the current models should just be outright scrapped and they should make new ones before even releasing the game, which would delay the game by quite a bit if they had to remake every character in the game. Little too late to be wanting "better" models at this stage in development when at least the start of the game looked pretty much finished outside of facial animations at e3.

GamerJM

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I think I'm going to like FFXV more. FF is just too far away in terms of release for me to look forward to it. I think Xenoblade looks awesome, don't get me wrong, but I didn't really dig the original's battle system. I still liked the game overall since almost everything else about it was great, but that alone made it a simply "alright," or "fairly good," game for me. I get the feeling I'm gonna like XCX more for some reason, and I love the trailers so far. But what we've seen of FFXV gives me nothing but hope; I was nothing short of blown away by what we've seen of its battle system.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Type-0 HD more than either, as strange as that may seem. Most importers seem to hold it in really high esteem and it doesn't seem too far away.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What does this even mean? How do past FF's not have substance? They all have pretty good battle systems with at least the same amount of depth if not more then Xenoblade.

FF would have more substance if it actually adhered to it's base construct from FF1 which was DnD and actually used the 3.5 Edition Ruleset.

Also bring back Spell Stocks since they added actual strategy instead of stressless MP. Which I think in current installments they don't even care about MP anymore?

Was always bothered by XIII's lack of cast time. I remember when cast time's alluded to making an incantation in the language of magic but not anymore.

-------------------

Xenoblade is more about gemming your equipment, crossclass skills(skill link between party members), literal Chain Attacks, and organizing your formation in combat as it is important. FF battle systems are rather cookie cutter in design which is basically buff yourself, debuff the enemy and then attack and heal when needed.

That being said as far as traditional FF systems go I think the best one's in recent years has been Bravely Default. Great battle system, new gimmick that puts a new spin on turn based combat and has a lot of customization to boot. Which I like. FF main series and Xenoblade both have limited customization. But it seems Xeno X is looking to change that with the information of different character classes available.

Voliko

FFXV

also, Nintendo needs to get a better character designer for Xenoblade X
I can't take this, Kunihiko Tanaka is a great character designer. One of my all time faves.
<<<<

They are obviously more focused on the environments and massive scope than the character models though. Atleast they look better than the really ugly Xenoblade models.

Dezzy

Xenoblade X for me.
I expect Final Fantasy to be full of overly complicated and confusing lore, cheesy unnatural forced dialog, and over the top flashy action. I hope I'm wrong though, because I'll probably buy it anyway.

Big One

Banned
Xenoblade X.

Sequel to one of the best RPGs in the last decade that looks a lot better than the original? Come on how is that NOT good.

XV so far from the gameplay footage looks like a linear Kingdom Hearts game with realism. We really don't know anything about it other than Nomura talking about how amazing the game is and how open it is. We don't know if that is really going to come into fruitation, cause most of what we see of the game is cutscenes. CUTSCENES.

Doesn't even look that great, looks like typical Nomura garbage.

CrisKre

Xenoblade for sure. It just seem more expansive and inspired to me. XV looks a bit claustrophobic and scripted. Like final fantasy Uncharted edition.

Honestly, I think Xenoblade Chronicles X will be better, but I'm more hyped for FFXV, you know? It's a new mainline FF, and I love what's been shown so far. Looks incredible. XCX will probably live up to the expectations I have for it, unlike FFXV, but man the hype FFXV footage gives me is unreal

Leave me out of any tallies, those are just my thoughts

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't understand all these feels. I mean yeah it's nice to want things. I grew up playing ffvi and vii but honestly I have more faith in the devil delivering me to heaven than in Squenix delivering a good ff nowadays

Krafter

Xenoblade by a mile. FFXV would be a very distant 3rd behind Persona 5 as well. It's sad really, I used to be such a Square fanboy, but it's hard to keep the faith and what I've seen of XV I do not like. On the other hand, Monolith Soft is goldmine and everything they do has been GOTY material. Not even close, they have surpassed their old masters.

I will be buying all three day one, though.

Xenoblade is nothing like monster hunter, why do people keep saying this

I don't get it either and it's quite annoying. It's as if once the monsters exceed a certain size the game automatically becomes Monster Hunter. I love MH, but it has exactly as much in common with Xenoblade as it does any Final Fantasy game.

casiopao

Xenoblade for sure?

While I really like FF IP+ Nomura, with the recent bad FF13 and 13-2. LR is a bit better. FF12 bad Vaan, and FF14 needing Reborn to be good, I am simply not sure on whether it can be good at all here.

Xenoblade X at least seems to improve more from what a solid game mechanic here. And the story of Xenoblade X should be better than Nomura who is famous of convulted story.

So Xenoblade X this time.

beril

XenobladeX easily

Modern final fantasy is dead to me and I hate pretty much everything about Nomuras work.

Clevinger

Xenoblade X.

Xenoblade was brilliant, X looks light it might even be better. Meanwhile I have zero faith in FFXV, with its boy-band main cast, its Kingdom Hearts looking gameplay, and it going through development hell.

HeelPower

1. This video was shown 4 years ago.

2. FFXIV still has its barriers. It's an open world FF game but there's still barriers. You aren't given the same freedom as what we've seen in Xenoblade Chronicles X

In lightning Returns you can pretty much jump anywere where your character can possibly reach.

Yeah there are limitations but its very much open.But yeah its not a spider man game.

Also you need mechs to reach places in Xenoblade.You'll probably need a mode of transport to reach certain places.

Noctis has the ability to warp and he can jump pretty damn high as in the scene in this pic.

BVll1BT.jpg

anaron

Xenoblade X, easy.

Monolithsoft demonstrated with Xenoblade that they are enormously talented in forward thinking, capable of blending western and eastern RPG traditions into a fresh yet distinctly classical Japanese designed experience.

DJIzana

In lightning Returns you can pretty much jump anywere where your character can possibly reach.

Yeah there are limitations but its very much open.But yeah its not a spider man game.

Also you need mechs to reach places in Xenoblade.You'll probably need a mode of transport to reach certain places.

Noctis has the ability to warp and he can jump pretty damn high as in the scene in this pic.

BVll1BT.jpg

You don't necessarily know a lot of those areas are accessible by mech only.

You might be right about Noctis and warping but even that video was all pre-rendered stuff and not indicative of final gameplay.

Ffxiii lr isn't the same as ffxiv though. There SHOULD be many places you can access but you just can't. It's all invisible walls.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I want to play FFXV still and I have since 2006... I'm just sick of waiting and the longer we wait, the higher the expectations grow.

ugoo18

BVll1BT.jpg

You say that like it's a strike against XCX?

The scale/size of the world needs mechs. Traversal of the world on foot alone would take a heck of a long time. After all one of the treehouse demo people said that they tried swimming out from the first area in the game to see when they would hit a barrier preventing them from advancing. They swam for over 15 minutes without encountering that barrier and gave up in the end.

Plus considering how high the mechs fly, being able to jump really high isn't comparable especially when that jump distance looks shorter than the cliff height jumped off in the XCX demo with Space Rihanna.

moolamb

Obviously you're welcome to your opinion, but it would seem to stand in opposition to the mainstream perception of FFXII. That perception being that it's widely considered among the best of the FFs. It didn't crack the top 10 PS2 sales list and get rave reviews by being an average game.

I think the reason why it's considered among the best is for its battle system and gameplay elements. But that's really not why I like Final Fantasy... or most of us... I mean if it was, FF8 would have been trashed to pieces. Hell 7 wasn't that fantastic, nor was 9 in terms of gameplay. But they had a soul to them - that soul was Sakaguchi.

Playing FFXII was like watching an incomplete but pretty soap opera with awful actors who go about doing nothing all that significant. It was painful.

FFXIII elicited a similar feeling - though the world was beautiful, the plot was so nonsensical and corny you could use it to power a biodiesel engine.

In comparison, Xenoblade had believable characters and story arcs that presented a really interesting break from the main epic (Melia's coming of age... great shit). I guess that's what I mean by 'substance'.

ivysaur12

Banned
Xenoblade X.

Xenoblade was brilliant, X looks light it might even be better. Meanwhile I have zero faith in FFXV, with its boy-band main cast, its Kingdom Hearts looking gameplay, and it going through development hell.

That's pretty much how I feel.

MonolithSoft are gods.

Xenoblade is one of my favorite RPGs so naturally I'm most looking forward to its (spiritual?) sequel. Funny enough, I'm currently replaying FF12 and really enjoying it. Still early in the game so it might yet fall apart, as most of my 2nd time play throughs of FF titles tend to, but this game might be a survivor. FF12 has a lot in common with Xenoblade in its general design philosophy. It's just slower and less memorable.

As for FF15, I don't own a PS4. FF15 is one of two games I'd actually want on the system. There needs to be more than that to sell it to me though.

DJIzana

Uughh.. Even when I'm really expecting this game, what's up with the fugly character models...?

I actually don't mind them. Remember... You can customize your character. Just because we've seen the person in the above picture or the Rihanna character one of the Treehouse members have made doesn't mean all models will look like that. Same applies to the main character.

Uughh.. Even when I'm really expecting this game, what's up with the fugly character models...?
A recent quote seems to indicate that the world was designed to be in scale with the Dolls, which are 5x bigger than the character models. Maybe they had to sacrifice some polygons/details on the smaller characters to get that to work well? They could still be batter even if they are simpler.
The alien humanoids and the monsters looked good to me

Top Bottom